Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Am I alone in thinking Bioware is going overboard?

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lamashtu

I really liked Mass Effect on the basis of it's well-written dialogue (though I have had my issues with the overall plot). But, after seeing the Tali trailer (of which I was ecstatic that one of my favorite characters was returning to the game), it looks as if Bioware is trying too hard to create a much darker tone.  

I appreciate that the new armors in the game look like they have some bulk to it, but with the addition of the Subject Zero and Garrus 2.0 trailers, it seems as if all that Marilyn Manson from the development of Dragon Age has gotten into Bioware's heads.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cspiffo

They've (Bioware) been coming out with such awsome stuff that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.  They haven't let me down yet.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai
    @Lamashtu: They [Bioware] have stated before that Mass Effect 2 will be what The Empire Strikes Back was to the Star Wars trilogy. I expect that game not only to be great but to surpass it's predecessor.  

P.S - get over the Marilyn Manson thingy please. It was just one trailer. 
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Bigandtasty

Quite a few of us do think that, actually.

But after the Manson trailers BioWare/EA released some better, more balanced trailers, and showed they still had a good game at the core. I expect (and hope) it'll be the same with Mass Effect 2.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon

It's EA's marketing people trying to make it edgy. The game itself will likely have a little bit of this and that they they have shown in the trailers, but not the HXC EXTREME as EA is trying to push it as.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bubahula

might i request a link to where you are watching these trailers?  
    i havnt seen a tali trailer and am itching for some new mass effect  footage  :)

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TheKidNixon

I do agree that Subject Zero in particular feels very paint-by-numbers bad-ass archetype #24, but overall I think the approach they're taking to the game is very exciting. Yes, it is darker, but that was their intent all along and it isn't like the original Mass Effect was a bright rainbow world to begin with; there was some real grit already.

As far as the Tali trailer...not sure what you're referring to other than Shepard's kinda metal looking mask when he's standing before the Flotilla Admiralty Board. Keep in mind also that the Quarians have gone through some serious shit since the first game, though if you hadn't read the second ME novel, I could see why that wouldn't be readily apparent yet.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Colonel_Fury
    @cspiffo said:
    "They've (Bioware) been coming out with such awsome stuff that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.  They haven't let me down yet. "

My thoughts also.  

Also, I think these trailers have far more to do with EA's marketing than Bioware themeselves.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By Geno

The second one is specifically designed to be the dark one in the trilogy. It's not dark by accident or something.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

Dragon Age had the worst fucking trailers and marketing ever from EA, and the game turned out amazing. I would look past anything, honestly.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy

In terms of marketing, it's definitely EA that makes a lot of those decisions if not all. So I wouldn't blame Bioware for it, they're honestly one of the greatest developers ever.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zereta

Subject Zero is actually the most interesting character to date because of that striking contrast. And Garrus 2.0? Explain please. If you mean the return of Garrus, that seems very Mass Effect-y to me.

ElementLeaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ElementLeaf

I think it was always intended to be darker. I mean, now the shit is really hitting the fan. Galactic governments are collapsing under the panic and strain of the Reapers, and now we've got cities overrun with mercenaries and violence. 

It's not as stable of a world as ME was for the first 3/4 of the story.

AdamosX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AdamosX2

I see what you mean with the overboard look but i think it has to do wih the situations of the time frame. 
    like ElementLeaf said "shit is really hitting the fan"
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Quacktastic

EA does the marketing now and they cast a wide net.  They will release video that appeals to you too, eventually.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crusnchill
    @Lamashtu:
    The Marilyn Manson music was put in their adverts by EA and NOT by Bioware. Plus, Bioware kind of follows this tac with the fact that they didn't put his music IN the game. (Thank goodness for that! As it's just so tacky and cliche to do so.) 

Think about it like this, when it comes to mass effect 1+2. Mass Effect 1 was like when the german's invaded poland. Not in scale AND seriousness but in terms of the in-game timeframe. 
    Nobody knew what was happening and everybody was bickering amongst each other for more petty right's and extended power/control of planets(Volians fighting for a seat on the council and resenting the humans for being closer to attaining that seat before them.), BECAUSE they don't realise what is really going on in the universe in connection to the Repeaper's and Saren. 

Now Mass Effect 2 is like the full on second world war but on an in-game universe scale (AGAIN, I don't mean to belittle WW2). Everyone is finally choosing a side, people are drawing lines of defense and taking offensive strikes at their enemy. Some are dying, some are just strangely going missing and other's are betraying their own countries. But there's also allies from ALL corner's of the galaxy showing up, even from the most unusual backgrounds like assassin's and spies etc... Mistrust amongst allies and general fear is causing rifts on both sides of the war. Etc, etc... you get the picture. 

All I'm saying is that Mass Effect 2 is showing that this universe is in the middle of a new war, thing's are frought with dissaray and no one know's what's going on, so of course this game is taking on a more darker feel. It need's too, Because otherwise it would feel like an extremely easy war. And the Reaper's+collector's aren't going to be an easy enemy to defeat from how Bioware are making it look. 

I can bet with some general knowledge about entertainment in book's and movies, that the third game will be even darker throughout it's main story with ALL the reaper's finally joining fray and then once the reaper's and the collector's are defeated the game will take on a brighter "rebuilding-civilization" vibe to it and everything will calm down again...

In summary though, I don't think they're going overboard. I simply think it's going to be darker, because it NEED'S to be darker to make sense. 

EDIT: And on the whole Garrus 2.0 thing. Think about it, Garrus did actually say that he is going to retry at his Spectre training so it kinda makes sense with the whole 2.0 thing. I guess it mean's he's kind of changed and is a bit colder toward's death, but probably dosn't second guess himself quite as much as he used to. In 2 word's, more Confident.
    CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By CoinMatze

Also: Have you seen the boxart? Does that thing scream edgy and dark to you? Although I hate this weird trend where darker means better, I would sure like it in Mass Effect. Like Empire strikes back and Indy's Temple of Doom. Every good trilogy needs a dark second chapter. But it won't end up with Shepard spouting one-liners all the time... hopefully. Nah, EA tried to market Dragon Age as some edgy piece of fantasy but the actual game didn't stray too far from your usual DnD stuff.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Kohe321

I trust Bioware to make another great title. Ads has never reflected their games very well.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilTwin

The difference between Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, is that the stuff that was horrible about the Dragon Age trailer had nothing to do with the game.  With Mass Effect 2, the stuff they're showing is dialogue for the characters that they've presumably written themselves.  In which case, I am absolutely worried about this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.