Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Arrival = Set up for Multiplayer in Mass Effect? (SPOILERS)

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cataphract1014

So, at the end of the DLC where you are talking to Hackett, the topic of "open war with the Batarians without the other species picking sides" is brought up.  To me, this seems like a giant arrow pointing at a "MASS EFFECT 3 WILL HAVE MULTIPLAYER!" sign.

Sigh.  Don't do it Bioware.  EA is probably pushing you to do it, but don't!  For the love of god don't!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

...What? I'm really not seeing how that acts as a hint towards ME3 getting multiplayer. Also thinking about it, so little actually happens in Arrival that it probably doesn't even need any spoiler tags... sad, really =/

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Kiro

No, not really. 

Multiplayer could've been set in the countless wars that have already taken place in the galaxy. they could even just say that the multiplayer part is a military combat simulator.

If bioware wants multiplayere, there is going to be multiplayer.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ramone
    @Abyssfull said:
    "...What? I'm really not seeing how that acts as a hint towards ME3 getting multiplayer. Also thinking about it, so little actually happens in Arrival that it probably doesn't even need any spoiler tags... sad, really =/ "

I don't think it's true that nothing happens. The fact that you fuck over the Batarians pretty bad could be major in ME3, perhaps a potential reaper ally?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yummylee
    @Jonny7892 said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    "...What? I'm really not seeing how that acts as a hint towards ME3 getting multiplayer. Also thinking about it, so little actually happens in Arrival that it probably doesn't even need any spoiler tags... sad, really =/ "
    I don't think it's true that nothing happens. The fact that you fuck over the Batarians pretty bad could be major in ME3, perhaps a potential reaper ally? "
    The Batarians have always hated humans, and them becoming a potentially major league threat in ME3 wouldn't be very surprising, just for the sake of the tension already build between the two races.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

wha....? It's more of a hint that there will be a big divide in the galactic community over Shepard blowing up the Relay for ME 3.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I think you're seeing what you want to see, here. Doesn't mean that ME3 won't have multiplayer, but I heavily doubt this would be the context for it.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Cornman89

I think you're wrong.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Afroman269 said:
    " wha....? It's more of a hint that there will be a big divide in the galactic community over Shepard blowing up the Relay for ME 3. "
    That is the point?

Multiplayer would involve two sides of the "galactic community" going to war with each other?  Like they said in the conversation?  

Am I really the only one that sees someone saying "open war with these dudes that hate us" as a sign that they could use Humans vs Batarians at the premise for multiplayer?
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    " wha....? It's more of a hint that there will be a big divide in the galactic community over Shepard blowing up the Relay for ME 3. "
    That is the point?  Multiplayer would involve two sides of the "galactic community" going to war with each other?  Like they said in the conversation?    Am I really the only one that sees someone saying "open war with these dudes that hate us" as a sign that they could use Humans vs Batarians at the premise for multiplayer? "
    Or it's just how Bioware line it up to make the Batarians the most difficult race for Shepard to unite with the Alliance against Reapers.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
      Am I really the only one that sees someone saying "open war with these dudes that hate us" as a sign that they could use Humans vs Batarians at the premise for multiplayer? "
    Evidently so.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Cataphract1014: There's no way they would make a Mass Effect multiplayer where you could only play Human or Batarian.  So many people would want to be Asari, Turian, Qurian, Krogan that it would be a completely wasted effort.  The implication was that the other species would stay out of a Batarian/Human war, and they would never do that for a multiplayer game.  Those other races are what give the Mass Effect universe its identity.
    Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    That is the point?  Multiplayer would involve two sides of the "galactic community" going to war with each other?  Like they said in the conversation?    Am I really the only one that sees someone saying "open war with these dudes that hate us" as a sign that they could use Humans vs Batarians at the premise for multiplayer? "
    Or it's just how Bioware line it up to make the Batarians the most difficult race for Shepard to unite with the Alliance against Reapers. "
    If that is what this is setting up, I will be extremely disappointed with Mass Effect 3.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Cataphract1014 said:

" @PhatSeeJay said:

" @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    Or it's just how Bioware line it up to make the Batarians the most difficult race for Shepard to unite with the Alliance against Reapers. "
    If that is what this is setting up, I will be extremely disappointed with Mass Effect 3. "
     All I'm saying is, sometimes, shit happens, somebody's gotta deal with it, and who're you gonna call?! 

Well Batarians of course. The sworn enemy. Humans have already made peace with the turians, there's only the Batarians left. And with the Reapers coming... Shit, son.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There are more than enough wars in the Mass Effect galaxy to set multiplayer around.  Geth-v-Quarians in the Homeworld Battle, Turians-v-Krogan in the Rebellions, Turians-v-Humans in the First Contact War.

Mass Effect multiplayer should be judged on the quality of its execution, not its existence.  People who start getting snarky and derisive because a game has multiplayer that they've never played really bother me.  I remember Vinny actively campaigning that there be no multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, as if somehow adding a feature outside of the main campaign would ruin the game for him.  Maybe it would, Brotherhood and Dead Space 2 received nothing but Goddamn vitriol for daring to try something new.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Dustpan
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @PhatSeeJay said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    If that is what this is setting up, I will be extremely disappointed with Mass Effect 3. "
    How? Makes perfect sense. Batarians already hate humans enough already, this will out them at the boiling point.
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dtat
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    I think you are the only one. there's plenty of divides between races and organizations in Mass Effect. Geth v Quarians, Humans v Batarians, Alliance v Citadel Council. It seems to me that this is all leading up to those conflicts coming to a head in the context of Shepard gathering forces to fight the reapers a la Dragon Age: Origins.
    DTKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DTKT

Its more Shepard uniting all the other races to fight the Reapers. 

Or maybe Mass Effect is the next battlefield. 

Oh god.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @JustTheDoctor said:

" @Cataphract1014 said:

" @PhatSeeJay said:

" @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    How? Makes perfect sense. Batarians already hate humans enough already, this will out them at the boiling point. "
    I meant more of the "run around the galaxy uniting the species against the reapers".  That would be boring.  We did that in ME2.  I'd rather have a story more like ME1 rather than 2.  That is why I would be disappointed.  I'd rather have something crazy happen rather than run around the galaxy gathering an army.

I'm not saying that is what is going to happen, but I would be disappointed if something like that happened.

@Dtat said:

" @Cataphract1014 said:

" @Afroman269 said:
    I think you are the only one. there's plenty of divides between races and organizations in Mass Effect. Geth v Quarians, Humans v Batarians, Alliance v Citadel Council. It seems to me that this is all leading up to those conflicts coming to a head in the context of Shepard gathering forces to fight the reapers a la Dragon Age: Origins. "

See, that.  I think that would be boring.  It already took like half the alliance fleet and the citadel flagship to take down one reaper.  How is a fleet, of even every ship of every known species in the galaxy, gonna stand up to a fleet of reapers.  I feel it would be a cop out to just have that happen. 
    TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By TrashMustache

didn't read any of these posts because i still haven't played it, in fact i downloaded the DLC, it took over 12 hours to download, and now that i have it, it doesn't work, i boot the game up and it doesn't say "commander you have a new message at your private terminal", i put in disc 1 and disc 2 and waited, searched the galaxy map, all that.

i'm bummed out, my first reaction would be to download it again but since it took that long... any one encountered such a problem?  i mean i paid money for that, i feel like i've been stolen from. I hope it's just a server problem, maybe it didn't download yet but the screen says it did.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @JustTheDoctor said:

" @Cataphract1014 said:

" @PhatSeeJay said:

" @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @Afroman269 said:
    How? Makes perfect sense. Batarians already hate humans enough already, this will out them at the boiling point. "
    I meant more of the "run around the galaxy uniting the species against the reapers".  That would be boring.  We did that in ME2.  I'd rather have a story more like ME1 rather than 2.  That is why I would be disappointed.  I'd rather have something crazy happen rather than run around the galaxy gathering an army.

I'm not saying that is what is going to happen, but I would be disappointed if something like that happened.

No...we made a team to fight them....ME3 gives the feeling that DA1 did. That you will need to gather a army to fight off the Reapers.  

I think you are just seeing what you want to see. 
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By niamahai

Oh shit. 

This could be true. 
    They could set it up like the Bioshock 2 MP. 
    "before everything went to shit, there was team deathmatch!"  

2 factions : Human/Citadel space aliens vs   Reapers/Bartharians 
    Maps : i call dibs on BigBen 
    Class: Soldier/Adept/Egineer 
    Progress: perky perks!
    Game type: capture the asari whore?  

..but for ME MP to work, they kinda gotta work on the shooting. Its still not on par with *most* third person shooters.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @The_Laughing_Man:  With as powerful as Bioware has made a single reaper seem, how will any fleet of the citadel races stand a chance?

I think EDI will play a role, but I hope it isn't just gathering an army for a big battle.  That would be so cliche.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  With as powerful as Bioware has made a single reaper seem, how will any fleet of the citadel races stand a chance?  I think EDI will play a role, but I hope it isn't just gathering an army for a big battle.  That would be so cliche. "
    Why would they tag on MP to a game that has such a strong single player for two games? Again you are just seeing what you want to see. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Enigma777

What?

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Bouke

I don't think it hints at multiplayer in ME3 at all! It sounded to me like the galaxy needs to unite to fight the collectors instead of fight amongst each other.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Cataphract1014 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  With as powerful as Bioware has made a single reaper seem, how will any fleet of the citadel races stand a chance?  I think EDI will play a role, but I hope it isn't just gathering an army for a big battle.  That would be so cliche. "
    Why would they tag on MP to a game that has such a strong single player for two games? Again you are just seeing what you want to see.  "
    There were rumors that Bioware was going to add multiplayer to ME3, I'm not just saying "OMG MULTIPLAYER" with nothing backing it up.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By damswedon

Like others have said there are so many conflicts in the fiction already that just assuming this one is here for multiplayer is presumptuous. 
    in the fiction there already exists. 

• Human Vs Turian unease due to the first contact wars
    • Quarians Vs Geth
    • Batarians Vs Humans
    Not to mention the one that has been seen to be the most interesting
    The Indoctrinated Vs non-Indoctrinated. 
    That last one allows for class based multiplayer using multiple races at once. We could have each race feel different but still be effective.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By Undeadpool

Sorry to say this, but Evel Knievel  couldn't make that leap. I think all the recent anti-Bioware sentiment is leaking into their other games seeing as how they've been setting up "factions" (Krogan/Rachni; Quarians/Geth) since game 1, so I don't really see Hackett's comments as anything but a setup for something else you'll have to deal with in ME3. It seems like you're going to have to try to unify the galaxy against the Reapers.

Hopefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hopefire
    @Brodehouse: @Brodehouse said:
    " There are more than enough wars in the Mass Effect galaxy to set multiplayer around.  Geth-v-Quarians in the Homeworld Battle, Turians-v-Krogan in the Rebellions, Turians-v-Humans in the First Contact War.  Mass Effect multiplayer should be judged on the quality of its execution, not its existence.  People who start getting snarky and derisive because a game has multiplayer that they've never played really bother me.  I remember Vinny actively campaigning that there be no multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, as if somehow adding a feature outside of the main campaign would ruin the game for him.  Maybe it would, Brotherhood and Dead Space 2 received nothing but Goddamn vitriol for daring to try something new. "
    That's because multiplayer in those games felt like surgically adding a third nipple. It did nothing to improve the games, and even if an entirely different development team was working on multiplayer it's still game budget going to an unwanted and unnecessary use (i.e., the same dollars budgeted to the multiplayer team could have been budgeted elsewhere). Put it this way: say that EA effectively budgeted the equivalent of ten programmers for six months to create multiplayer for Dead Space 2. Now, imagine those same dollars being used to hire people to create extra maps for Dragon Age 2, so we didn't have the same damn five maps every time we entered a building.  

Adding multiplayer to some games sucks up dollars that are better spent elsewhere. And sometimes, it's better overall if the budget towards adding multiplayer to game A goes instead to adding content for game B. Or hell, even game A.For example,  I'd rather see eight different models for each species in ME3 than to see multiplayer in ME3. Again, while the people who would be working to program multiplayer are generally not the ones who would create models, the budget can be allocated to hire people that create models.  
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By N7
    @Hopefire:

As big of a corporation as Electronic Arts is, I seriously doubt that they'd be scrounging for money so tightly that they would actually tell developers that they aren't allowed to have, say, multiplayer in their game just so another team could have more money to spend on stuff. Money is definitely not an issue for them.

Also, are you aware of who you're even talking about? EA? Have you SEEN how much money they make off of DLC that, wouldn't you know it, is for multiplayer games? They would probably be the ones begging Bioware to create multiplayer. Then they could release not only singleplayer DLC, but also multiplayer DLC, and if the game turns out as awesome as Mass Effect 2, they'd make enough money to clone Bob Barker TWICE. TWICE!!
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @Kiro said:
    "If bioware wants multiplayere, there is going to be multiplayer. "
    EA want multiplayer. Bioware don't even care about what Bioware want any more.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By withateethuh

Keep your god damn multiplayer out of my story-driven rpg.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RandomBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RandomBullet
    @Cataphract1014: Oh...wow...i don't even...
     Well, you did call it, so congrats on that. Interesting to see what they got, perhaps? Anyways, here's hoping that it won't be a clusterfuck.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By shiftymagician
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

There will not be MP in ME3, I believe that has been EXPLICATELY STATED

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rjayb89

Those Batarians are nothing but bitches and whores!

No Caption Provided
    magimix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By magimix

@MordeaniisChaos said:

There will not be MP in ME3, I believe that has been EXPLICATELY STATED

Lots of things get explicitly stated - things said at a particular point in time may be accurate at that point, but minds and goals can change thereafter. I'm not into multiplayer at all, for my part - however if ME3 head multi-player, so long as I didn't feel like the single player aspect had been shortchanged in any way, then its inclusion would not sour the game for me.

That that, if there were one franchise I liked enough to consider checking out multiplayer if it were there, Mass Effect would be it. If it came to it, I'd prefer cooperative multiplayer, or at the least competitive multiplayer predicated around small squads, because squad-based combat, and the tactical thinkink that goes along with it, is a big part of what makes the combat in the game enjoyable to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.