Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Buying a used copy of Mass Effect 2

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ClownDetective

I'm gonna get Mass Effect 2 but I was going to wait a while because I've got a bunch of other stuff I want to play first, and when I get it I was planning to get a used copy for cheap (like I usually do). I read something about there being a code in new copies that would unlock something within the game however. Is this true? and if so, what is the unlocked stuff? Is it worth it?

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By gla55jAw

The Ceberus Network card. It cost's $15 to buy it off Xbox live. So far, it gives you a mission and a new recruitable character.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

All new copies of the game come with a one-time use code for the Cerberus Network, which is an online portal to download all the free content that they will release for this game.  So far they have just released a single side-mission, with another side mission (which comes with an extra squad member that you can recruit) on the way.  It's $15 for people who buy the game used.  Is it worth it right now?  No, but if Bioware keeps on releasing new content for the service, it might be.  If you are a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, I would recommend to get the game new.  Otherwise, you can skip out on all the content they are going to release and just play the core experience (which isn't too shabby on its own).

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By DystopiaX

basically what you're getting is all of the DLC for free. If Bioware supports ME2 with a lot of DLC, then yeah it's worth it. The one mission that came with it that I played so far was very well done, and if the quality continues to be like that then it's worth it without a doubt. 

You're also missing another party character, but I haven't obtained him yet.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

Consider that Dragon Age came with a 15 dollars DLC with a character and a quest, so far we've seen equal amounts of content for free in ME2 provided you bought the game new. But if they release more free DLC then it will definitely be worth it to buy it new. And if more people buy the game new, they will have more drive to make the next DLC free!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany
    @DystopiaX: He is coming in a few days.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xyzygy

I heard that Zaeed is coming tomorrow, but I'm not sure.

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ClownDetective

ok thanks, that's interesting.  I guess I'll see what the dlc is like by the time I get round to buying it, but I remember them not putting out too much dlc for the first one.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Andorski

Their handling of DLC in ME1 was atrocious.  I haven't played Dragon Age: Origins, but I heard that the flow of content they are releasing for that game is decent.  I guess Bioware is getting better at it.

dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By dudeitsdon
    @Andorski said:
    " All new copies of the game come with a one-time use code for the Cerberus Network, which is an online portal to download all the free content that they will release for this game.  So far they have just released a single side-mission, with another side mission (which comes with an extra squad member that you can recruit) on the way.  It's $15 for people who buy the game used.  Is it worth it right now?  No, but if Bioware keeps on releasing new content for the service, it might be.  If you are a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, I would recommend to get the game new.  Otherwise, you can skip out on all the content they are going to release and just play the core experience (which isn't too shabby on its own). "
    Is is true that all the upcoming DLC was free? I was under the impression that the Cerberus Network was the portal in which you purchase all the DLC, but I guess that wouldn't make sense for people who bought the game used to pay an additional $15 on top of whatever the DLC price is. Just trying to add to the confusion here, haha.

You know, if you don't want to pay for a full price game, I do know of how you can get the game for almost free!
    thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thebatmobile

These DLC you're talking about; are they the ones that you could download for free a few days ago? There was a thread about it.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @thebatmobile said:
    " These DLC you're talking about; are they the ones that you could download for free a few days ago? There was a thread about it. "
    Some of the Cerberus Network content was accidentally made available for free download. Some of it was not.
    Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Time_Lord

Buying used games is the devil i say.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @Time_Lord said:
    " Buying used games is the devil i say. "
    But the devil is fun, so I say it is good  :-)
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Andorski
    @dudeitsdon said:
    " Is is true that all the upcoming DLC was free? I was under the impression that the Cerberus Network was the portal in which you purchase all the DLC, but I guess that wouldn't make sense for people who bought the game used to pay an additional $15 on top of whatever the DLC price is. "
    All DLC that comes through the Cerberus Network will be free.  They are going to release paid DLC, but you won't need the Cerberus Network to buy them.  As you said, it would be silly to pay for access to content that you still need to buy.
    drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By drowsap

ooo i thought i got screwed on zaeed i think thats his name but it turns out that, that dlc hasnt come yet thank god i was sooo pissed thank you Dany and  xyzygy for the info

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By demonbear
    @Andorski said:
    " @dudeitsdon said:
    " Is is true that all the upcoming DLC was free? I was under the impression that the Cerberus Network was the portal in which you purchase all the DLC, but I guess that wouldn't make sense for people who bought the game used to pay an additional $15 on top of whatever the DLC price is. "
    All DLC that comes through the Cerberus Network will be free.  They are going to release paid DLC, but you won't need the Cerberus Network to buy them.  As you said, it would be silly to pay for access to content that you still need to buy. "
    Thats not the idea.

The Idea is to give free access to people who BUY the game brand new. This has been put in place to ensure revenues to EA and Bioware from used games, like this guy wants to do.

Before, like you might know, devs and publishers made no cash on used games sales, thats pure Gamestop profit. And Devs and publishers are fucking sick of seeing those cocksuckers getting all their cash. 

So Bioware came up with that idea, the Cerberus network to get people who buy used games, like the OP, to pay up some cash to the publisher and devs to have access to certain portions of the game. I do not think that you'll get free DLC once you buy the cerberus network AT ALL. If you think that, you're pretty naive.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Bouke

Its a good way for publishers to get people to buy a game new instead of used, and it might result in a price drop for used copies since you'll get less content.
    Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Time_Lord
    @oldschool said:
    " @Time_Lord said:
    But the devil is fun, so I say it is good  :-) "
    The devil is Fun I just don't like how game stop will give you 5 bucks for a game and sell it for 40 while the publisher gets nothing.
    thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thebatmobile
    @Bouke: How is not buying a used game good? We all could contribute in trying not to over-consume by buying second-hand and used products. Ignorant.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Bigandtasty said:

" @thebatmobile said:

" These DLC you're talking about; are they the ones that you could download for free a few days ago? There was a thread about it. "
    Some of the Cerberus Network content was accidentally made available for free download. Some of it was not. "
    What exactly didn't leak, can you tell me?

I downloaded 9 items in total when it was accidentally free on xbl:

Collectors' Weapon and Armor

Terminus Weapon and Armor

Inferno Armor

Sentry Interface

Umbra Visor

M-29 Incisor Sniper Rifle

Blood Dragon Armor

Recon Hood

Normandy Crash Site
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Bouke
    @thebatmobile:
    i already bought a second hand car for that reason...
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
    @Time_Lord said:
    " @oldschool said: @Time_Lord said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Time_Lord said:
    The devil is Fun I just don't like how game stop will give you 5 bucks for a game and sell it for 40 while the publisher gets nothing. "
    The publisher already got his money when he sold the game the first time.  That is how the economy works.  It is even covered by USA law and applies in all markets around the globe.  No physical product should ever remain the property of the person who sold it.  Only IP should remain their property.  If I sell a piece of art work, I wouldn't expect to get money for it every time it was sold again and again.  If that was the case, then the price of the new product would have to be massively lower as the never ending profit stream would have to be factored in.  It makes no sense.  They sell it and that is the end of it and games are not  special case - why should they be?   

No other consumer product is.   What the free market does after the initial sale is no business of the publisher.  The price and profit is simply determined by market forces - supply and demand.  It is a purer form of pricing as the market determines the value.  It hasn't and will never damage the new market as those who buy cheaper, used, would not have purchased the new product at full price in the vast majority of cases.  It is an argument built of straw.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By ColinWright

Used games = not cool. Just saying. :)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Diamond

You know what's funny?  Gamestop is still gonna try to sell the game used for $55...

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By crusnchill
    @ClownDetective: Dude, get it new. You'll be part of the message that tells the games industry to make GOOD games. And if you buy Mass Effect 2 second hand, well you ain't really helping that cause(And your future entertainment.) now are you?
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

It should be made clear that possibly not all DLC will be free through Cerberus and not all DLC will be made available solely through that network.  

The Cerberus Network also grants access to "new missions and in-game items," including a character named Zaeed, "a rugged and deadly gun-for hire." ... Future Mass Effect 2 DLC plans include a Hammerhead tank, Eviscerator shotgun, and various other items and armor.  1UP

In an interview with Joystiq, BioWare's Dr. Greg Zeschuk cleared up some of the confusion around the DLC portal. "We'll definitely have for-pay DLC down the road too," he said, revealing that the DLC through Cerberus will be free. "It's not going to be all free DLC for Mass Effect 2 -- far from that. There'll be paid DLC packs, and there'll be stuff available through Cerberus as well."  JOYSTIQ

So, while the Cerberus Network will grant new-game buyers access to some items, other items and maybe even that originally free Cerberus content will be available through the Xbox Live marketplace down the road.   Dragon Age: Origins has a DLC network portal in the game that offers some items for free and others for pay.   I understand that right now the content for Mass Effect 2 is free but I suspect eventually, they'll push the paid-for content through it, too. 
    dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dudeitsdon
    @PenguinDust: Thanks for clearing it up! That makes sense then: They're making things specifically for free for the Cerberus Network, but they'll also have things that you need to specifically pay for as well. I guess the worth of it is determined by what is to be released on Cerberus then. 

But, I would definitely say that getting an extra character isn't too shabby for buying the game new, if you figure that the game isn't going to drop past $50 anytime soon anyways.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed
    deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Huh I see your question was about the DLC hard to believe theres a used one out yet.  Usually the extra probably isn't worth it unless you're a diehard fan.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox

Boo! Try supporting the developer instead.

Wait a month or two and it'll have gone on sale for $40 or so NEW by then.

Some people will try to rationalize buying used because they're so cheap and can't work an online game sale, but it's just as bad as piracy.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Whisperkill

Don't buy used games, asshole...

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Jayross

Yeah, buy a new copy, you support Bioware (which is great developer), insure future projects, and you get the DLC stuff for free. In doing this you also do not support gamestop, which is good.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By HydraHam
    @MrKlorox said:
    "

Some people will try to rationalize buying used because they're so cheap and can't work an online game sale, but it's just as bad as piracy. "
    or he could buy it used now.. im so sick and tired of people complaining over used game sales, are the developers putting food on my table? paying my bills? im in college taking too many classes and have a shitty job trying to pay off student loans, apartment bill, car insurance etc. which is why i buy used and gamefly, im so sick of people bringing up the support bullshit and you say buying used is as bad as piracy? how so? you think piracy is bad? look up the numbers piracy does nothing to the says and to prove that point look at the game sales and movie sales over the past years they have gone nothing but up, look at cd/mp3 sales on itunes..

im tired of stuck up people like you who think they know what they are talking about if you want to go spend 60-65 on a game do it, ill get it the day after release for 45 on craigslist.
    JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JoshLarson

"Wait a month or two and it'll have gone on sale for $40 or so NEW by then.  " 

Tell that to Call of Duty: World at War. Or Mario Kart Wii. Or countless other games that have been on shelves for many months without even a hint of reasonable price drops. If publishers refuse to play ball with consumers then consumers will gravitate towards the used games market. And they will have no one to blame but themselves despite all of their constant bitching.  

By the way, great post oldschool. That should be mandatory reading for any giantbomb readers here who (claim to) support capitalism.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PureRok

To all the people who say buying used is bad, how about this:

• Never buy a used car.
    • Never buy a house that's already been lived in.
    • Never buy a used book.

By your logic, all of these those things are bad. 

Also, read what oldschool said.

@oldschool said:
    " @Time_Lord said:
    " @oldschool said: @Time_Lord said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Time_Lord said:
    The devil is Fun I just don't like how game stop will give you 5 bucks for a game and sell it for 40 while the publisher gets nothing. "
    The publisher already got his money when he sold the game the first time.  That is how the economy works.  It is even covered by USA law and applies in all markets around the globe.  No physical product should ever remain the property of the person who sold it.  Only IP should remain their property.  If I sell a piece of art work, I wouldn't expect to get money for it every time it was sold again and again.  If that was the case, then the price of the new product would have to be massively lower as the never ending profit stream would have to be factored in.  It makes no sense.  They sell it and that is the end of it and games are not  special case - why should they be?    No other consumer product is.   What the free market does after the initial sale is no business of the publisher.  The price and profit is simply determined by market forces - supply and demand.  It is a purer form of pricing as the market determines the value.  It hasn't and will never damage the new market as those who buy cheaper, used, would not have purchased the new product at full price in the vast majority of cases.  It is an argument built of straw. "
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Styl3s said:

" @MrKlorox said:

"

Some people will try to rationalize buying used because they're so cheap and can't work an online game sale, but it's just as bad as piracy. "
    or he could buy it used now.. im so sick and tired of people complaining over used game sales, are the developers putting food on my table? paying my bills? im in college taking too many classes and have a shitty job trying to pay off student loans, apartment bill, car insurance etc. which is why i buy used and gamefly, im so sick of people bringing up the support bullshit and you say buying used is as bad as piracy? how so? you think piracy is bad? look up the numbers piracy does nothing to the says and to prove that point look at the game sales and movie sales over the past years they have gone nothing but up, look at cd/mp3 sales on itunes..  im tired of stuck up people like you who think they know what they are talking about if you want to go spend 60-65 on a game do it, ill get it the day after release for 45 on craigslist. "
    Chill out turbo. I'm not complaining, I'm stating a fact. I want the people who make the games I enjoy to be compensated, not the shitty company who makes a profit by stiffing the people who are responsible for their original inventory in the first place. Glad to know that makes me stuck up.

@JoshLarson said:

" "Wait a month or two and it'll have gone on sale for $40 or so NEW by then.  "  Tell that to Call of Duty: World at War. Or Mario Kart Wii. Or countless other games that have been on shelves for many months without even a hint of reasonable price drops. "

Sales are not price drops, dude. Price drops are permanent. Sales are limited. Those games have gone on sale for $40 or less in the past. Keep an eye on cheapassgamer.com if you want in on that shit. It's possible to be thrifty and pay the right people at the same time.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By napalm

Yeah, sure, buy a used copy, you tool.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By septim

Boo to this.

I support the games industry plenty but I also support my right to buy and sell my games as I see fit.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#39  Edited By gla55jAw

I didn't think so much of you love paying $60+ tax for your games.

Don't get me wrong, some games I will buy new if it is a special game to me, but I don't see why I should pay that when I could pay $40 or less on ebay or "keep it" from gamefly, or hell even buy 2 get one free from gamestop. 

dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dudeitsdon

I doubt that Mass Effect will ever be $40 even on sale any time soon (I just bought Dragon Age: Origins off Amazon brand new, and it was the Gold Box Deal of the Day, and it was still $45ish. I also really don't see the harm in buying used games, and I never even knew that there was such a strong opinion on the matter. I usually buy my used games off Half.com, and I don't really see a problem with people selling something that they own and don't want anymore...unless for some strange reason you guys consider the game still the property of EA and Bioware after it's already been purchased.

Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Teirdome
    @oldschool said:
    The publisher already got his money when he sold the game the first time.  That is how the economy works.  It is even covered by USA law and applies in all markets around the globe.  No physical product should ever remain the property of the person who sold it.  Only IP should remain their property.  If I sell a piece of art work, I wouldn't expect to get money for it every time it was sold again and again.  If that was the case, then the price of the new product would have to be massively lower as the never ending profit stream would have to be factored in.  It makes no sense.  They sell it and that is the end of it and games are not  special case - why should they be?    No other consumer product is.   What the free market does after the initial sale is no business of the publisher.  The price and profit is simply determined by market forces - supply and demand.  It is a purer form of pricing as the market determines the value.  It hasn't and will never damage the new market as those who buy cheaper, used, would not have purchased the new product at full price in the vast majority of cases.  It is an argument built of straw. "
    Same argument is constantly used for piracy, and now look at the PC.

Luckily enough for now, the Vernor v. Autodesk case has not been successfully appealed, so it's still technically legal though it may violate the EULA of the game you played.  If it ever is, expect Gamestop and the other big retailers to stop second-hand sales.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By oldschool
    @Teirdome said:
    " @oldschool said:
    Same argument is constantly used for piracy, and now look at the PC. Luckily enough for now, the Vernor v. Autodesk case has not been successfully appealed, so it's still technically legal though it may violate the EULA of the game you played.  If it ever is, expect Gamestop and the other big retailers to stop second-hand sales. "
    It will never succeed unless big business buys enough politicians and they change the law. 

Also, it isn't the same argument as PC and is not even slightly connected to pirates as the games you have are legally manufactured and purchased, so the economic cycle has been successfully negotiated.  Piracy is simple theft.  The EULA was never enforceable and is only put there to try and make consumers comply and ignorance and a desire to be a law abiding citizen will work for most.
    Avatar image for tragicallyerock
    TragicallyErock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TragicallyErock
    @MrKlorox said:
    "

Buying used games is not even close to as bad as piracy!!
    That's like saying stealing a car is the same as buying it used because GM/Toyota/whoever wont get your money either way.

Nobody should have to rationalize buying used games. 
    Sure it's nice to support the developer, but to equate used games to piracy is just ridiculous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.