Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

My one question about Mass Effect's story.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SquirrelGOD

This has probably been brought up a hundred times, and I've just never seen it.  So, if that's the case, I'm sorry.  Here we go: 

Okay, so I played through the game again recently to set my story up for ME2.  But, as I'm playing it, one thing bugs me: Saren.  Now, the Geth are a strange combination of organics and machine (cyborgs, if you will), and this is what makes them so interesting and feared in the ME universe.  At least, this is what I've picked up.  Then, here comes Saren.  He murders another Spectre and makes the council think he's not evil...but the dude is HALF MACHINE now.  How is this not mentioned or brought up?  How do the council not notice that "Hey, this guy's got wires sticking out of him now, and he's got robot eyes."?  It's VERY obvious.  Even on his hologram when he's being questioned by the council, you can tell that the guy is no longer totally organic.  This has been bugging the hell out of me.  Does anyone know if this has been addressed?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dtat

I actually don't think he has mechanical parts installed until near the end. I'm not entirely sure, but in the last converstation with Saren, he says that Sovereign has installed mechanical parts to better control him. So I think he's pure Turian at the outset. He does look weird, but I don't remember seeing anything overtly machine-like.
    benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benitobb

Nobody knew what Soveriegn was or was capable of, and I don't think the coucil would ask a Spectre about what may just be cosmetic changes to their looks.

benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benitobb

The process to make him mechanical was definitely gradual, and at the council meeting they just probably didn't care.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By CenturionCajun

Just look at a lot of the gear that people are running around with in the Mass Effect universe. Saren having some cybernetic enhancements does not make him something to be suspicious of. Especially since he's one of the longest serving Spectres. As for the Geth I don't recall them ever being shown to be cyborgs. They are straight up sentient machines whose intelligence is proportional to how many are together in one place. They arn't something like the Borg who require living beings to "reproduce".

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SquirrelGOD

No Caption Provided
    Saren kills Nihlus 
     From the very beginning of the game, the dude is a full on Cyborg.  Look at him!  He has "I'm a HORRIBLE person" written all over him!
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

I think that in the ME universe, these kinds of implants are kind of regular. All biotics have implants in their head, and if Saren is above all forms of the law because he's a Spectre, he can probably do whatever the hell he wants to his body. I don't think the council questions him, especially after knowing all the good things he's done for them.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Andorski
    @xyzygy said:

" I think that in the ME universe, these kinds of implants are kind of regular. All biotics have implants in their head, and if Saren is above all forms of the law because he's a Spectre, he can probably do whatever the hell he wants to his body. I don't think the council questions him, especially after knowing all the good things he's done for them. "

Also, Geth technology is derived from Quarian technology, so it could be assumed by the council that his implants was given by the Quarians.

As for him looking evil... Saren was known for being "ruthlessly efficient" when doing his job.  He's the classic asshole who gets the job done, so you keep him around.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Kyle

I don't think characters in the Mass Effect universe automatically associate robotic parts / cybernetics with evil. I think even one of your item slots for each character is some kind of cybernetic implant. I would assume Saren had these parts before the Geth attack.

A person with robotic parts will still have an organic brain, it doesn't make them evil (even in this fictional universe).

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By JoeyIA

The Mass Effect art book says that its supposed to be a grafted Geth arm.  I have both of the novels too and its never brought up in those either.  Its never mentioned when he got the implants, so maybe he's had 'em a while, maybe Geth robo arms used to be a common thing *shrug*.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Branthog

Are you prejudiced against other species or just crippled/implanted creatures? Shame on you...!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy

I really, really hope that the antagonist of ME2 is as imposing and badass as the Sovereign and Saren duo. Man, those two were the greatest villains EVER, especially Sovereign.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Mrnitropb

Yeah I rewatched that cutscene and you can definitely see the Geth left arm. I think since he only communicated in the form of giant hologram he was able to more or less hide his shit.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @SquirrelGOD: I don't think he was supposed to be at all mechanical at that point, the weird blue mechanical look in his eyes was because of Sovereign's influence, and I think the stuff on his arm etc. is just modified armour rather than him already being cyborg-y
    Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Psytek

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.