Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Should I pay 15 bucks to join the cerberus network?

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DriveupLife

I just recently bought a used copy of Mass Effect 2 and bought the 3 DLC's on sale during xbox360's Countdown to new years sales. I have really enjoyed the game so far, but I noticed that I can't buy certain dlc since its for cerberus members only. So, for someone who bought used, is it worth it? Do i just download the rest of the DLC for free or do I have to pay for that too?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ramone

Don't join it's pointless. The free DLC is awful and certainly not worth $15

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By UncleDisco

I would say skip it.. I didn't really find any of the Cerberus Network stuff that interesting...

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

Dude... You can get a new copy of ME2 from Amazon for $10...

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

Does Zaeed come with Cerberus Network? If you're in to getting all the party members, I'd probably say yeah. As far as I know it's just a few weapons, maybe an armor set, the Firewalker pack and Zaeed.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By stinky

its pointless.  dont bother.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By Jayross

don't do it, you are better off spending your $15 on one of the DLC packs that is actually good (read: shadow broker)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

The only good DLC is the Zaeed one, but is it worth $15, no. He does have a good loyalty mission but it's not worth $15.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hexx462

Just a warning that if you do make the plunge: FIREWALKER IS TERRIBLE.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @hexx462: At least it's not the Mako...?
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SteamPunkJin

You get Zaeed (Kasumi runs around $7.50 so let's say he's worth that much) 
    You get the Cerberus Armor and Shot gun (other armor/weapon packs run you $2)
    Fire Walker would probably have been $7.50 too but isn't worth more than say $5 
    Normandy Crash Site wasn't much and probably should have been on the disc, can't really say it's worth much unless you want Shep's old helmet on your desk.

That puts us at about $14.50...borderline at best. Being a huge ME fan I would say do it just to get all the characters/gear/weapons/missions.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hexx462
    @StarvingGamer said:
    " @hexx462: At least it's not the Mako...? "
    As a vehicle it is much better than the Mako, but the missions are junk.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bibledoctor
    @hexx462 said:
    " Just a warning that if you do make the plunge: FIREWALKER IS TERRIBLE. "
    I wouldn't call it terrible it just isn't worth what they're charging. If it was free I doubt anyone would call it "terrible", it adds a new vehicle and a few useless side missions that give some resources and XP.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hexx462
    @BibleDoctor said:
    " I wouldn't call it terrible it just isn't worth what they're charging. If it was free I doubt anyone would call it "terrible", it adds a new vehicle and a few useless side missions that give some resources and XP. "
    Firewalker was free for me, and I just could not stomach it about midway way through the second mission. Keep in mind I enjoy scouring over every little inch of the Mass Effect games and I was unable to finish Firewalker.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pinworm45

I loved the Firewalker Vehicle. But yeah, the missions were uninspired. 

Anyway. personally, this decision rests solely on how much money you have. Do you have to pick between cerberus and eating next weekend? Don't bother. 

Can you afford to lose 15$? go for it. May as well get the complete package.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bibledoctor
    @hexx462 said:
    " @BibleDoctor said:
    " I wouldn't call it terrible it just isn't worth what they're charging. If it was free I doubt anyone would call it "terrible", it adds a new vehicle and a few useless side missions that give some resources and XP. "
    Firewalker was free for me, and I just could not stomach it about midway way through the second mission. Keep in mind I enjoy scouring over every little inch of the Mass Effect games and I was unable to finish Firewalker. "
    Why? The whole DLC felt like any other mission in the original Mass Effect that was on an undiscovered planet. I'm not saying that it was an amazing piece of DLC (that would be Lair of the Shadow Broker), but it wasn't so bad that it was unbearable, it didn't break the gameplay or fuck up the dialogue to the point where it felt like a poorly translated anime game. At least for me. The missions were pretty straight forward and boring, but I can't imagine why they would be unplayable. I was expecting the Firewalker pack to be underwhelming when it was released because you have to expect that if they plan on adding a vehicle, that all the missions will be centered around said vehicle and showcasing its various abilities.
    limewizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By limewizard
    @hexx462: I'm in the same boat with you, mate. I made it through the first mission,  then just completely dropped that whole set of missions and now it's blemish on my nearly fully complete Mass Effect 2 game.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Enigma777

I, for one, loved the Hammerhead. Especially in Overlord. So much better than the crappy Mako!

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sanryd
    @Enigma777 said:
    " Dude... You can get a new copy of ME2 from Amazon for $10... "
    Which Mass Effect 2 page are you looking at? I see it for $20...
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Skytylz
    @DriveupLife: It's not even $20 new, you should have just got it new.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @DriveupLife said:
    " I just recently bought a used copy of Mass Effect 2 and bought the 3 DLC's on sale during xbox360's Countdown to new years sales. I have really enjoyed the game so far, but I noticed that I can't buy certain dlc since its for cerberus members only. So, for someone who bought used, is it worth it? Do i just download the rest of the DLC for free or do I have to pay for that too? "
    NO. The best stuff is the regular paid stuff. The free stuff is garbage.
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By kraznor

It isn't exactly worth it, but considering buying used literally caused at least one Bioware staff member very real pain and suffering, probably should. You know, as a token of penitence for your wicked ways.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
    @DriveupLife said:

"I just recently bought a used copy of Mass Effect 2 and bought the 3 DLC's on sale during xbox360's Countdown to new years sales. I have really enjoyed the game so far, but I noticed that I can't buy certain dlc since its for cerberus members only. So, for someone who bought used, is it worth it? Do i just download the rest of the DLC for free or do I have to pay for that too? "

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Wiki     

Why buy when all the things for the cerberus members show up on here?
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hexx462
    @BibleDoctor said:
    " Why? The whole DLC felt like any other mission in the original Mass Effect that was on an undiscovered planet. I'm not saying that it was an amazing piece of DLC (that would be Lair of the Shadow Broker), but it wasn't so bad that it was unbearable, it didn't break the gameplay or fuck up the dialogue to the point where it felt like a poorly translated anime game. At least for me. The missions were pretty straight forward and boring, but I can't imagine why they would be unplayable. I was expecting the Firewalker pack to be underwhelming when it was released because you have to expect that if they plan on adding a vehicle, that all the missions will be centered around said vehicle and showcasing its various abilities. "
    Would have just rather spent my time on another game, instead of playing something that "wasn't bad". There's plenty of great things to be doing in ME2 besides Firewalker.  I'm not claiming the Mako side missions were anything approaching good (it wasn't) but something compelled me to keep playing those missions despite the awful controls. Though I doubt  I would bother with them if I every fired up ME1 again.  Firewalker came after I had played through ME2 twice and just didn't hook me. 

Also the platforming segments are flat out lazy and out of place for ME. Let's hope ME3 doesn't have any tacked on mechanics like the Mako, Hammerhead, or Mining, since I love this series but those things all stick out like a sore thumb.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nintendoeats

A: you should have gotten it new.

B: Nah, its not all that great.

cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cgoodno
    @hexx462 said:
    " @BibleDoctor said:
    Firewalker was free for me, and I just could not stomach it about midway way through the second mission. Keep in mind I enjoy scouring over every little inch of the Mass Effect games and I was unable to finish Firewalker. "
    That's... sad.  Really sad.  It hardly took any time for me to finish it, and it wasn't horrible compared to most DLC out there.

Firewalker isn't a shining light of what DLC should or can be, but it's not as bad as buying alternative costumes like many other games.  Shadowbroker and Kasumi are definitely DLC worth getting, though, IMHO.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By Geno

The free DLC is awful, save your money. 

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WickedFather

Aye, absolutely not.  And if you buy the game new sell the DLC code to a sap on Ebay.  I bought the game for £4.97 twice and sold the DLC code for £9.50 which after fees got me £7.52 back.  Then I still had the game to sell.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Azteck

Not worth it in the least. Skip it.

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse
    @tdk08 said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    " Dude... You can get a new copy of ME2 from Amazon for $10... "
    Which Mass Effect 2 page are you looking at? I see it for $20... "
    it was on sale for ten for a few days. i really wish i had picked up a second copy at that point...
    kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kyrieee

I think Zaeed is a really good character and his mission is very good, but the other CN content is not that great. I can't say I recommend it at 15$, but I guess it depends on your economic situation. His mission is the shortest of all the DLC missions so the price just becomes unreasonable.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FourWude

You're paying $15 to join a human supremacist organisation. You racist mofo.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Jedted
    @DriveupLife:  First of all, buying the game used was a big mistake when the price of a new copy is down to $20. 

Secondly, ignore all the people who say the free DLC is garbage.  If your a sentimental guy then you'll probebly enjoy running through the Normandy Crashsite.  If your a completist and wanna have all the party members then you'll wanna get Zaeed, too many people dismiss him just because he doesn't have 1-on-1 dialog with Shepard but he's actually really interesting character.  Plus there is an achievement for completing his loyalty mission so keep that in mind if your goin for your ME2 S-rank. 

If you got the cash to spare then i'd say go for it! 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I love Zaeed, but the vehicle missions aren't that good (side note: they do gain you XP, which is always welcome).  So I would say that if you have 15$ to spare, then get it, but if you don't you won't be missing too much.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Edwardryu

are you kidding me? when you buy mass effect 2, cerberus network DLC is included for free. you got redeem code inside. isn't it? if you don't, that's so weird. I don't know about digital version. but for retail box, you get it for free. well, I guess you were just rip off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Why would you buy Mass Effect 2 used ?  Waste more money my good man since a fool and his money and all that.

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Edwardryu

you know what? don't buy 'used' software from somebody. it can't be trusted. believe me. it's not the same like hardware. buy new one, new one! because you know why. that's very obvious. code is not valid. it was already used before.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.