Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

BioWare Agrees to Do Something About That Mass Effect 3 Ending That a Bunch of People Are Angry About

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By GrandHarrier

This just in: Apparently dissatisfied customers not allowed to ask for whatever is making them unhappy to be fixed. Meal wasn't good? Too bad. You get whatever the cook decides to give you. Car was a lemon? Sorry, that was how it was intended by the developer. Stop being so entitled.

WVUEers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By WVUEers

@cikame said:

"Future Clarification" sounds like DLC to me.

Uh, yeah, how else would they do it? Magically transfer it to your game? I mean DLC doesn't mean paid DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@Kyodra:

They're just digging themselves deeper by doing this, now the complaining fans will know that their whining gets results. As we all must know by now, fans will never be entirely happy, so this will most likely just bring another wave of bitching and moaning. Bioware should've stuck to their guns and proclaimed that not everything in life always turns out the way you like to, so why should it in video games.

Or maybe it will bring about a wave of companies not building up expectations by making outright lies during interviews? Or maybe it might bring about the realization that RPG gamers care more about story than MP and paid day-one DLC? How about those things?

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Harkat

I didn't support makes changes to the ending in the first place, but now that it's decided, I hope they make the indoctrination theory true.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By metal_mills
    @GrandHarrier said:

This just in: Apparently disatisfied customers not allowed to ask for whatever is making them unhappy to be fixed. Meal wasn't good? Too bad. You get whatever the cook decides to give you. Car was a lemon? Sorry, that was how it was intended by the developer. Stop being so entitled.

Exactly. A bad ending is a bad ending. If you buy it, invest time it in and think it's shit, you have a right to complain.
    Spooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Spooty

This will not work because the internet is like a puppy that hates instead of loves. No matter what you do to it will hate you.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#107  Edited By big_jon

If they charge for an alternate ending that will be effed up, but changing the ending in general seems so dumb, where is the art in that?

I mean has this ever happened to a movie or book? It seems so juvenile.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@AlisterCat said:

I really don't see the issue with Tali being a stock Photo. Stock photos are used by professionals all the time... it's what they are there for. Should they have just taken their own picture of a woman...? How would that be any different? They found a photo that suited their need.

I think it's weird how Quarians are supposed to be the only other race that look human, for some weird reason. Photoshopping a stock photo for an unknown alien figure that was speculated on for five years is quite lazy.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Milkman

@Metal_Mills said:

@GrandHarrier said:

This just in: Apparently disatisfied customers not allowed to ask for whatever is making them unhappy to be fixed. Meal wasn't good? Too bad. You get whatever the cook decides to give you. Car was a lemon? Sorry, that was how it was intended by the developer. Stop being so entitled.

Exactly. A bad ending is a bad ending. If you buy it, invest time it in and think it's shit, you have a right to complain.

You have the right to complain but you don't have the right demand it to change. BioWare gave in.

The bad guys won today.

RC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By RC

@Harpell said:

I find it disheartening that it came to that. So can I have a bonus disc mailed to me now explaining exactly whether the main guy in "In Bruge" is dead at the end or not?

No, because you are a good little boy and have learned to be happy with everything you are given. :P

Depth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Depth

video games are art!!!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#112  Edited By Video_Game_King

(It's the best I could find.)

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GrandHarrier said:

This just in: Apparently dissatisfied customers not allowed to ask for whatever is making them unhappy to be fixed. Meal wasn't good? Too bad. You get whatever the cook decides to give you. Car was a lemon? Sorry, that was how it was intended by the developer. Stop being so entitled.

Yeah, and since most of the "you're entitled" arguments are made by upper-class straight white men who don't recognize their own real-word entitlement and privilege on a daily basis, I'm sick of hearing them say that word.

MusiM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#114  Edited By MusiM

I feel pretty bad for Bioware even though I didn't like the endings.

I'm willing to bet the majority of this blows over in May. Everyone who hasn't beaten it yet will probably finish the game in April. The people who haven't picked it up yet probably aren't as over the top emotional on the franchise as those who picked it up week one. And really the people who picked it up week one are going to play through it faster since they care more in theory.

Point being its reduced to snarky comments by the summer. If I'm right, someone should give me a dollar.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

@big_jon said:

If they charge for an alternate ending that will be effed up, but changing the ending in general seems so dumb, where is the art in that?

I know, right?! I've bought tons of books that I haven't ultimately been satisfied with, but I didn't get mad and write the author demanding they change it. This whole fucking thing is stupid.

jakonovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By jakonovski

@Kyodra said:

They're just digging themselves deeper by doing this, now the complaining fans will know that their whining gets results. As we all must know by now, fans will never be entirely happy, so this will most likely just bring another wave of bitching and moaning. Bioware should've stuck to their guns and proclaimed that not everything in life always turns out the way you like to, so why should it in video games.

Stop being so melodramatic, authors have rewritten their work through history because their fans demanded it. Arthur Conan Doyle and Charles Dickens did it, to name a couple.

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#117  Edited By tactis

I think this is a good thing, Bioware deserves all of the hate and vitriol thrown at them, that ending was incredibly stupid and should be changed.

To everyone saying this sets a bad precedent, you know what? I don't fucking care. After three games and five years we deserved better than this.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Simplexity

Pay some extra money for the real ending, stay classy Bioware.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#119  Edited By Death_Burnout

Now that only the goof's voices are being heard, what about the voices of us poor sane people who wanted nothing? nothing I guess...ha.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#120  Edited By Justin258

@GnomeonFire said:

I haven't played it yet, but it can't be that bad.

It's not. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a stellar end to the series at all but I'm not too angry about it. My thoughts at the end were "that could've been better" immediately followed by apathy and a sudden desire for Pepsi.

@Autechresaint said:

Get ready to pay $10-$15 for the 'true' ending.

...and this is where I will draw the line. No way in hell will I spend any money on any DLC that gives me the supposed "true" ending, especially when I've already spent a fair amount on this franchise anyway.

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Curufinwe

@TeflonBilly said:

My feeling about this mess is that they don't have to "fix" the endings or whatever if they can actually defend this triped they've trotted out.

If they're so proud of their ending and ready to defend it, how about taking the time to make an article or video where they break down and explain the metric ton of complaints towards it that are legitimate? Like the sheer amount of nonsensical logic and in-universe inconsistencies that are presented in the last ten minutes of the game. No in-game changes, no DLC. Just a post on their site.

I'd be delighted to hear them just lay out a bottom line exactly WHY the ending is the way it is and respect that as a work of art if you will. I'll accept any ending they released as long as they could defend it, but all they've done since this shitstorm happened is skirt the issue and try to bunker down while plugging their ears going LALALALALALALA.

An ambigious or downer ending could be great. A non-sensical and completely lore breaking one is unacceptable however.

Well said.

MadScientist18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By MadScientist18

@Milkman said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@GrandHarrier said:

You have the right to complain but you don't have the right demand it to change. BioWare gave in.

The bad guys won today.

Exactly...you have the right to complain of course...but demanding changes and think you're entitled to them is ridiculous.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#123  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@GnomeonFire said:

I haven't played it yet, but it can't be that bad.

It really isn't.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By SlightConfuse

@GrandHarrier said:

Why have journalists seemingly forgotten Fallout 3's ending changing DLC, Broken Steel? DLC that was added to address plot holes and a terrible ending to a great game? (Comparison to ME3? Maybe!)

the only thing broken steel did was change the ending so that you can play after the game ends. it was a feature that was in oblivion(and skyrim) but left out. they also wanted to raise the level cap which BS allowed them to do so.

This seems to try and fix the ending and change it to majke it more appealing, falloout 3 stilled end the same way after broken steel. granted i have not played ME 3 yet.

Davin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#125  Edited By Davin

@AlisterCat said:

I really don't see the issue with Tali being a stock Photo. Stock photos are used by professionals all the time... it's what they are there for. Should they have just taken their own picture of a woman...? How would that be any different? They found a photo that suited their need.

I think the larger disappointment is that they used some random pretty face and gave it a quick photoshop instead of making an interesting looking alien.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I'm cool with this I like to have my 2 characters play as different as possible so 2 different endings sounds kinda cool.

Fiyenyaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Fiyenyaa

@Milkman: So when consumer feedback is ignored the good guys win, and when it's taken into consideration (we still don't really know what the new content is gonna be) the bad guys win?

Yikes.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By metal_mills
    @Milkman said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@GrandHarrier said:

The bad guys won today.

Why can't they change it? 3 games all leading up to a shit ending. No excuse for that.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Milkman

@Metal_Mills said:

, this whole petitioning and insulting cycle will just begin itself anew, and continue repeating itself until everyone gets the exact ending they want. Because that's how the world works now, I guess.

After 5 years, a MINIMUM of $180 and about 100 hours of time spent of their series, I think it's fair to ask for a decent ending. But how dare anyone complain about a bad thing. Shut up, accept what you're given, even though you paid for it, and never improve anything.

So, when Roger Ebert talks shit about games, they're art and he's an out of touch old asshole. But when you don't like something, games are nothing but products with their only responsibility being to please the consumer.

It doesn't work both ways.

hellsing321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By hellsing321

@Death_Burnout said:

Now that only the goof's voices are being heard, what about the voices of us poor sane people who wanted nothing? nothing I guess...ha.

You can still have the shitty ending if you so desire. Just don't download the DLC.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By GrandHarrier

@SlightConfuse said:

@GrandHarrier said:

Why have journalists seemingly forgotten Fallout 3's ending changing DLC, Broken Steel? DLC that was added to address plot holes and a terrible ending to a great game? (Comparison to ME3? Maybe!)

the only thing broken steel did was change the ending so that you can play after the game ends. it was a feature that was in oblivion(and skyrim) but left out. they also wanted to raise the level cap which BS allowed them to do so.

This seems to try and fix the ending and change it to majke it more appealing, falloout 3 stilled end the same way after broken steel. granted i have not played ME 3 yet.

Actually, Broken Steel changed it so you could do logical things like sending in the radiation immune fucking Mutant, or radiation immune Robot to enter the code at the end, rather than illogically force you to "heroically" sacrifice yourself. Because, you know, logic.

Kefkaesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Kefkaesque

@RoyCampbell:

Mass Effect trilogy had a disappointing end.

Godfather trilogy had a disappointing end.

Oh ho ho, I remember when people complained to the ftc and petitioned Paramount to redo the Godfather Part 3.

No wait, that would have been retarded. Never mind.

RC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By RC

@xXxLYNCHxXx said:

I have not played it YET. I can't imagine a 10min ending ruining a fantastic 6 year journey.

Exactly what everyone says before finishing the game. :D

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Autechresaint said:

Get ready to pay $10-$15 for the 'true' ending.

But... but... but you get something really cool, and alternate appearances for your characters, and more guns, and more amour and the true ending!

jakonovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By jakonovski

@big_jon said:

Like I said to someone else, it has always been happening. So many of the arguments in this matter are made from a position of ignorance.

edit: like Arthur Conan Doyle, Charles Dickens, Blade Runner, to name a few that come off the top of my head. I mean come on.

cojack426

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By cojack426

All I can do is lol.

WVUEers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By WVUEers

I don't see how this sets a "precedent" or any thing of that sort at all. To say it sets a precedent implies this is a common situation and now developers will feel the pressure to balk at their endings if met with disapproval. No, shitty ending is common in games, always have been but Mass Effect is a unique situation. Mass Effects ending is the culmination of 3 games, 5 years, over a hundred game hours, etc. It's ending is far more important to the series than say a game like Gears of War because so much of the game revolves around character relationships and the universe as a whole. To kind of leave such core themes in that series ambiguous is what is rattling people, not that the ending itself is "shitty". This will not start some sort of wave of game ending protests, games have shitty endings all the time, people accept that for the most part. The issue people have with Mass Effect is that the game seemed to completely disregard a lot of what drove the story and brought in fans. The only analogy I can think of for this would be if a game like the aforementioned Gears of War literally just ended in the middle of a level, because that's kind of how Mass Effect felt. While Mass Effect has shooting, it's true charm is it's interactions, and we never saw how any of these concluded.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By metal_mills
    @Milkman said:

@Metal_Mills said:

, this whole petitioning and insulting cycle will just begin itself anew, and continue repeating itself until everyone gets the exact ending they want. Because that's how the world works now, I guess.

After 5 years, a MINIMUM of $180 and about 100 hours of time spent of their series, I think it's fair to ask for a decent ending. But how dare anyone complain about a bad thing. Shut up, accept what you're given, even though you paid for it, and never improve anything.

So, when Roger Ebert talks shit about games, they're art and he's an out of touch old asshole. But when you don't like something, games are nothing but products with their only responsibility being to please the consumer.

There have been movies that change the ending. Why not games?
    Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Icecreamjones

Too little too late Bioware, the ending of Mass Effect 3 that you clearly rushed through at the last minute has ruined my respect for you. There is no coming back from this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Milkman said:

@Metal_Mills said:

I have a Blu-Ray set of Blade Runner which has 4 different cuts of the flick plus the workprint. Do movies cease to be art now?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Milkman

@Fiyenyaa said:

@Milkman: So when consumer feedback is ignored the good guys win, and when it's taken into consideration (we still don't really know what the new content is gonna be) the bad guys win?

Yikes.

When an artistic vision is compromised because of the outcry of a vocal minority, yes, the bad guys win. Lost is my favorite television show of all time but I hate the ending. And I would be furious if Damon Lindelof and J.J. Abrams went back and changed that ending. That was their vision and I respect that even if I may not like it.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#142  Edited By tearhead

Ugh. I'm so tired if this shit. The game is what it is, warts and all. Just suck it up and move on

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#143  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @LordCmdrStryker said:

@big_jon said:

I know, right?! I've bought tons of books that I haven't ultimately been satisfied with, but I didn't get mad and write the author demanding they change it. This whole fucking thing is stupid.

Happened more times then you can imagine.
    Look at one of the most prominent example in literary history: Sherlock Holmes 

Plenty of works over the years have retroactively changed their ending.
    The main difference is that videogames have the luxury of doing it on the fly in the exact same product due to their overall flexibility with downloadable content, whereas movies and books mostly do it through retconning in sequels.
    huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By huser

Weird. I'd prefer more of a reworking for clarity. Or heck an exposition dump. Let's see how this works out I guess.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Milkman

@Metal_Mills said:

@Milkman said:

@Metal_Mills said:

There have been movies that change the ending. Why not games?

What movies have changed their ending weeks after release?

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#146  Edited By DrRandle

And there you have it. Video games are no longer art. Thanks video game community for making sure we ruin that!

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Probably won't buy it until they cave in and put up their games on Steam.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By SlightConfuse

@GrandHarrier: you still could sarifice yourself, but then how could they sell you play the DLC you just bought. the fact that they just ended the game instead of an elder scrolls style you beat the game continue was an over sight to begin with. Plus the ending was solid . this seems more like hey were have some things we need to explain so we are going to explain them(at least i hope so)

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By GrandHarrier

@Milkman: So I take it you don't respect Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for changing the ending to Sherlock Holmes. Or Kevin Smith for changing the end of Clerks. Or George Lucas for changing the end to the original Return of the Jedi (Lando was going to die). Or Bethesda for changing Fallout 3. Etc.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#150  Edited By Sackmanjones

Oh people. They said clarify the ending not change it. Jesus people can't read

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.