EC Ending, What did you choose?

  • 65 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -


#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15851 posts) -

I haven't played it yet. Just watched it on Youtube. I think I'd still go with Synthesis.

#3 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

Without going into too much detail, which ending did you choose and why?

I personally did all of them and although all have their ups and downs, I think Destroy and Synthesis are my favorites.

#4 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: Yeah I played through them with my default female Shepard, I need to playthrough all the games again for my prefect playthrough.

#5 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Refuse and control. Also how do you unlock synthesis it was blocked off for me

#6 Posted by LiquidPrince (15851 posts) -

@SmasheControllers said:

@LiquidPrince: Yeah I played through them with my default female Shepard, I need to playthrough all the games again for my prefect playthrough.

Yeah that's why I haven't played them yet. I'm playing through the entirety of the trilogy again on my PC.

#7 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@SlightConfuse: You need a high Effective Military Strength, I've played so much Multiplayer I can't get a low EMS.

#8 Posted by LiquidPrince (15851 posts) -

@SmasheControllers said:

@SlightConfuse: You need a high Effective Military Strength, I've played so much Multiplayer I can't get a low EMS.

Well it drops fairly quickly.

#9 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: Not my Readiness, I've promoted 36 characters.

#10 Posted by LiquidPrince (15851 posts) -

@SmasheControllers said:

@LiquidPrince: Not my Readiness, I've promoted 36 characters.

Does promoting characters raise your readiness permanently?

#11 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -

Refusal.  It's the only one I liked in any amount.

#12 Edited by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: Every character you promote gives you an extra 75 points of EMS, under your War Assets they show up as Special Ops Team, or something like that.

#13 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I chose destroy originally. Haven't bothered to play the game ever again, but I checked out the 'refusal' option on youtube, and they ruined it. There was no argument of how the starchild logic was flawed, no reasonable approach in attempting to explain ones case. Shep basically says 'Fuck it' and everyone dies. It's funny because the refusal option was invented by fans on the forums, and it was done a million times better and more logically than what was implemented in this update.

#14 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Destroy. Fuck the reapers.

#15 Posted by LiquidPrince (15851 posts) -

@SmasheControllers said:

@LiquidPrince: Every character you promote gives you an extra 75 points of EMS, under your War Assets they show up as Special Ops Team, or something like that.

Permanently?

#16 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: Yes.

#17 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@benjaebe: But what about the Geth and EDI? I want the Reapers dead but I care too much about the Geth and EDI, Legion didn't dead to save his people, just to have me kill them.

#18 Edited by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

Refuse. Because fuck authorial intent.

Retconned Destroy seems OK, too.

#19 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
@SmasheControllers Huh That is strange
As prince said it drops fairly quick. I. Went from 92 to like 42 in a month or so
#20 Posted by StarvingGamer (8031 posts) -

Control.

Because Paragon.

Online
#21 Posted by N7 (3574 posts) -
@SmasheControllers said:

@benjaebe: But what about the Geth and EDI? I want the Reapers dead but I care too much about the Geth and EDI, Legion didn't dead to save his people, just to have me kill them.

EDI would have killed herself to take down a Reaper any day of the year, it was the decision she would choose. And Legion was one of the many sacrifices that had to be made in the war. I began my journey with destroying them in mind, and damnit, that's just what I did.
#22 Edited by NTM (7280 posts) -

I chose the one that seemed like the best answer to me, synthesis. Also, this one was my third play through and it was the only one I hadn't chosen before.

#23 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

Synthesis. Because its what I pick originally. Not sure its my favorite though. Its almost too perfect. I really like the new destroy, with the exception of EDI being dead :(

#24 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4605 posts) -

@N7 said:

@SmasheControllers said:

@benjaebe: But what about the Geth and EDI? I want the Reapers dead but I care too much about the Geth and EDI, Legion didn't dead to save his people, just to have me kill them.

EDI would have killed herself to take down a Reaper any day of the year, it was the decision she would choose. And Legion was one of the many sacrifices that had to be made in the war. I began my journey with destroying them in mind, and damnit, that's just what I did.

Apparently the Geth were fine. EDI bites it in the destroy ending because the Normandy gets caught up in the Reaper Killer Beam. I liked EDI, sure, but she wasn't alive. She was a machine.

#25 Posted by N7 (3574 posts) -
@Oldirtybearon said:

@N7 said:

@SmasheControllers said:

@benjaebe: But what about the Geth and EDI? I want the Reapers dead but I care too much about the Geth and EDI, Legion didn't dead to save his people, just to have me kill them.

EDI would have killed herself to take down a Reaper any day of the year, it was the decision she would choose. And Legion was one of the many sacrifices that had to be made in the war. I began my journey with destroying them in mind, and damnit, that's just what I did.

Apparently the Geth were fine. EDI bites it in the destroy ending because the Normandy gets caught up in the Reaper Killer Beam. I liked EDI, sure, but she wasn't alive. She was a machine.

But both EDI and the Geth are Reaper tech. What do you mean they were fine? Did I miss something important? I hope not. I don't want to make a fool out of myself again.
#26 Posted by pyrodactyl (1892 posts) -

lol, most people chose space genocide

Online
#27 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4605 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@N7 said:

@SmasheControllers said:

@benjaebe: But what about the Geth and EDI? I want the Reapers dead but I care too much about the Geth and EDI, Legion didn't dead to save his people, just to have me kill them.

EDI would have killed herself to take down a Reaper any day of the year, it was the decision she would choose. And Legion was one of the many sacrifices that had to be made in the war. I began my journey with destroying them in mind, and damnit, that's just what I did.

Apparently the Geth were fine. EDI bites it in the destroy ending because the Normandy gets caught up in the Reaper Killer Beam. I liked EDI, sure, but she wasn't alive. She was a machine.

But both EDI and the Geth are Reaper tech. What do you mean they were fine? Did I miss something important? I hope not. I don't want to make a fool out of myself again.

If there's one criticism I have about the new endings, it's that in Destroy, at least, the game doesn't exactly explain if the Geth are wiped out. They gloss over that whole thing. My interpretation is that the Geth went back beyond the Perseus Veil when the Reaper Killer Beam fired (as a direct order under Admiral "gives me wood" Hackett). The Normandy, if you watch the scene, was the last one out of the Sol system, and that's why it gets caught in the Relay network when the RKB fires through. Hence EDI getting fried.

I think. I think that's what happened. To be honest I was too busy sobbing like a woman listening to Hackett's "everybody be excellent to each other" speech to notice the finer details.

#28 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Refuse because it's what I wanted the whole time.

They spent at least 150 hours establishing that the Reapers are simply unbeatable. They are larger and beyond anything we could ever hope to understand (let's ignore Star Brat for just a second). Defeat with the hope of helping the next cycle (or the one after that or the one after that) to finally win against the Reapers is the most realistic and fitting ending possible. I'm beyond pleased that it was included.

#29 Posted by N7 (3574 posts) -
@Oldirtybearon: I know for certain that in my Destroy ending, it did not show the Geth, or EDI, die. But at the same time, it didn't show any of them during the ending whatsoever. Or maybe it showed EDI in the group while they were looking at the Sacrifice Board and I was too busy feeling emotions to notice.
 
But I'm not sure that you can refuse to give the Geth Reaper Code, but that's the only way I know they die, since the beam kills all Reaper tech... except the Mass Relay's...
#30 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4605 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Oldirtybearon: I know for certain that in my Destroy ending, it did not show the Geth, or EDI, die. But at the same time, it didn't show any of them during the ending whatsoever. Or maybe it showed EDI in the group while they were looking at the Sacrifice Board and I was too busy feeling emotions to notice. But I'm not sure that you can refuse to give the Geth Reaper Code, but that's the only way I know they die, since the beam kills all Reaper tech... except the Mass Relay's...

EDI's name is on The Wall during Commander Shepard's memorial. Her name is second from the top on the right hand side. That's how I know she went offline.

Also, man, that fucking memorial, huh?

#31 Posted by N7 (3574 posts) -
@Oldirtybearon said:

@N7 said:

@Oldirtybearon: I know for certain that in my Destroy ending, it did not show the Geth, or EDI, die. But at the same time, it didn't show any of them during the ending whatsoever. Or maybe it showed EDI in the group while they were looking at the Sacrifice Board and I was too busy feeling emotions to notice. But I'm not sure that you can refuse to give the Geth Reaper Code, but that's the only way I know they die, since the beam kills all Reaper tech... except the Mass Relay's...

EDI's name is on The Wall during Commander Shepard's memorial. Her name is second from the top on the right hand side. That's how I know she went offline.

Also, man, that fucking memorial, huh?

I've seen mixed emotions about the memorial. I was feeling manly tears(Or sobbing like a little girl. Either or), because the EC hit all of the right notes for me. It was a real bummer though. Liara(my Love Interest) was just standing there, in front of everyone, who were all clearly sobbing, holding Shepard's nameplate, not sure if she should add it to the wall or not because they haven't found his body... Fuck. That's some end-game MGS4 man tears right there.
 
Is it just me, or was that whole thing made somewhat more sad just by knowing Shepard survives? I can't help but imagine their faces when they see him again. :(
#32 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4605 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@N7 said:

@Oldirtybearon: I know for certain that in my Destroy ending, it did not show the Geth, or EDI, die. But at the same time, it didn't show any of them during the ending whatsoever. Or maybe it showed EDI in the group while they were looking at the Sacrifice Board and I was too busy feeling emotions to notice. But I'm not sure that you can refuse to give the Geth Reaper Code, but that's the only way I know they die, since the beam kills all Reaper tech... except the Mass Relay's...

EDI's name is on The Wall during Commander Shepard's memorial. Her name is second from the top on the right hand side. That's how I know she went offline.

Also, man, that fucking memorial, huh?

I've seen mixed emotions about the memorial. I was feeling manly tears(Or sobbing like a little girl. Either or), because the EC hit all of the right notes for me. It was a real bummer though. Liara(my Love Interest) was just standing there, in front of everyone, who were all clearly sobbing, holding Shepard's nameplate, not sure if she should add it to the wall or not because they haven't found his body... Fuck. That's some end-game MGS4 man tears right there. Is it just me, or was that whole thing made somewhat more sad just by knowing Shepard survives? I can't help but imagine their faces when they see him again. :(

I don't think it was sad that Shepard lives. They didn't show a LI reunion because you can pretty much assume what happens for yourself. That's one case where nothing they do could do it justice, so they leave it up to the player. For me, Shepard wakes up in the rubble, is rescued Ripley style, and eventually finds his way back to Liara and the Normandy crew. That made my heart swell when my brain just connected those dots after watching the ending.

Like I said, it all depends on how you see things turning out, finally, for Shepard. For me, they turned out alright.

#33 Posted by N7 (3574 posts) -
@Oldirtybearon said:

@N7 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@N7 said:

@Oldirtybearon: I know for certain that in my Destroy ending, it did not show the Geth, or EDI, die. But at the same time, it didn't show any of them during the ending whatsoever. Or maybe it showed EDI in the group while they were looking at the Sacrifice Board and I was too busy feeling emotions to notice. But I'm not sure that you can refuse to give the Geth Reaper Code, but that's the only way I know they die, since the beam kills all Reaper tech... except the Mass Relay's...

EDI's name is on The Wall during Commander Shepard's memorial. Her name is second from the top on the right hand side. That's how I know she went offline.

Also, man, that fucking memorial, huh?

I've seen mixed emotions about the memorial. I was feeling manly tears(Or sobbing like a little girl. Either or), because the EC hit all of the right notes for me. It was a real bummer though. Liara(my Love Interest) was just standing there, in front of everyone, who were all clearly sobbing, holding Shepard's nameplate, not sure if she should add it to the wall or not because they haven't found his body... Fuck. That's some end-game MGS4 man tears right there. Is it just me, or was that whole thing made somewhat more sad just by knowing Shepard survives? I can't help but imagine their faces when they see him again. :(

I don't think it was sad that Shepard lives. They didn't show a LI reunion because you can pretty much assume what happens for yourself. That's one case where nothing they do could do it justice, so they leave it up to the player. For me, Shepard wakes up in the rubble, is rescued Ripley style, and eventually finds his way back to Liara and the Normandy crew. That made my heart swell when my brain just connected those dots after watching the ending.

Like I said, it all depends on how you see things turning out, finally, for Shepard. For me, they turned out alright.

Oh totally. I actually would NEVER want to see it because it wouldn't be, or rather, it couldn't be as awesome as I can imagine it to be. I'm good enough thinking "I bet they lived their life happy and without the constant threat of eternal doom". And that's all my Shep could ever ask for.
#34 Posted by Bobstar (310 posts) -

I don't understand why anyone would choose anything other than Control. I mean, you don't get the cons that come with the Destroy options, and you don't have to live as a hybrid man/machine in the Synthesis option.

And my understanding of the refusal option was basically "well we failed to stop anything but here's all of our archives so you don't have to go though the same thing".

#35 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I chosed Destroy since that was the one I picked on my first playthough and man... I was Awww-ing the whole time, I almost dropped my controller when that beam from Harbinger hit the Mako and almost kills Garrus , that's when it finally kicked for me 'oh crap this is totally new' , after you pick your choice they show you the characters who died noding at you (Anderson , EDI and Tali) wich was different right? before it was Anderson , Joker and Liara ...

So yeah EDI told me she felt alive but she understood that the sacrifices made in the war were not in vane as long as you kept fighting for what you belive is right and I sided with the Geth wich cost me the lost of Shepard's love interest only for them to die in the blast ( you don't see any Geth ships when Sword and Shield are are retreating from the system, I don't know if they show up in the other endinds though), but I though that was the right thing to do Organics can build synthetics again and hopefully correct the mistakes of the past is a war it wouldn't make sense to have everyone alive I think is more meaningfull that way in other to defeat the Reapers entire civilations had to die in other the save millions more, Control seem just crazy and open for somethimg bad in the future (plus that's what the Illusive man wanted) and I'm ok with Syntesis I might choose that for my second playtrough but I couldn't agree with that idea since it would mean organics not longer being independent would that means they wouldn't die or something? plus I don't think that should be the way for organics to evolve it should be natural 'organic' ... anyways I really liked the EC it address what I though the ending was missing plus they put all those breakfast club stills 'Zaeed is having a mojito!' and alll that cheese that I just loved.

#36 Posted by Galiant (2181 posts) -

I enjoyed "Control".

#37 Posted by dr_mantas (1804 posts) -

I'm trying all of them, but it takes fucking forever with all the unskippable cutscenes. I think Synthesis is supposed to be the correct ending, but Control is the most intriguing for me.

I mean, in Control, Shepard becomes a fucking immortal god. And he's a benevolent god.

So you can only imagine what kind of Eldritch Abomination he'll become in a few hundred millennia.

#38 Edited by NTM (7280 posts) -

Yaaaay. I can post again. I don't remember if I replied to this in form message, but I chose Synthesis. For a couple different reasons really, and it ended up being my favorite, or at least second favorite, but I believe favorite. This extended cut ended up on my third play through, and since I've chosen everything else, I thought I'd go with the other one, so yeah.

Edit - Oh, I did post here. Something else I wanted to bring up since I can't for some reason make my own thread right now; did anyone else here know that or notice that Mordin was voiced by two different voice actors in both ME2 and three? I just figured that out a couple of days ago and was kind of astonished. I didn't even notice it!

#39 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

I like Synthesis the most, but Destroy gave me the most "happy ending" feel weirdly enough.

#40 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@NTM said:

Yaaaay. I can post again. I don't remember if I replied to this in form message, but I chose Synthesis. For a couple different reasons really, and it ended up being my favorite, or at least second favorite, but I believe favorite. This extended cut ended up on my third play through, and since I've chosen everything else, I thought I'd go with the other one, so yeah.

Edit - Oh, I did post here. Something else I wanted to bring up since I can't for some reason make my own thread right now; did anyone else here know that or notice that Mordin was voiced by two different voice actors in both ME2 and three? I just figured that out a couple of days ago and was kind of astonished. I didn't even notice it!

Really? while the new guy did a good job in sounding Mordin-ish since that E3 demo it was clear he wasn't the same VO at least to me , to bad they couldn't get Michael Beattie to sign Scientist Salarian again.

#41 Posted by PSNgamesun (395 posts) -

Destroy n I loved the added scenes n the added dialogue. They really explained their initial ending. I did all of them but I felt destroy was the right one, the one my Shepard would do; but if I had to choose a scond one it would be systhesis. Also the control one reminded me of Neo in the end of the 1st matrix which was kool lol.

#42 Edited by NTM (7280 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@NTM said:

Yaaaay. I can post again. I don't remember if I replied to this in form message, but I chose Synthesis. For a couple different reasons really, and it ended up being my favorite, or at least second favorite, but I believe favorite. This extended cut ended up on my third play through, and since I've chosen everything else, I thought I'd go with the other one, so yeah.

Edit - Oh, I did post here. Something else I wanted to bring up since I can't for some reason make my own thread right now; did anyone else here know that or notice that Mordin was voiced by two different voice actors in both ME2 and three? I just figured that out a couple of days ago and was kind of astonished. I didn't even notice it!

Really? while the new guy did a good job in sounding Mordin-ish since that E3 demo it was clear he wasn't the same VO at least to me , to bad they couldn't get Michael Beattie to sign Scientist Salarian again.

Yeah, I didn't notice it. Maybe my memory doesn't serve me well when it comes to ME2 then. I may have to replay two and three back to back to really notice it. Also, I believe the guy that did Mordin on the E3 demo was Mark Meer (the guy that does male Shepard), not the guy that did him in the actual game.

#43 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

Same decision I made the first time round - synthesis.

Still felt pretty damn good about the decision too!

#44 Posted by onebuttonjoystick (1 posts) -

I chose destroy because it is the only one that didn't lead to enslavement, in synthesis the reapers still dominate all life by giving organics and synthetics a future, an idea the geth opposed in me2, control would also lead to enslavement, even if shep was benevolent, if there is a way to control the reapers another elusive man would come along and figure out how to co opt it, the only choice that puts destiny back in the hands of the living is destroy

#45 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Originally went with Destroy because my Shepard agreed with the Illusive Man. Humanity First. Kind of pissed me off you couldn't side with him, actually. Also he wanted power. I did not like that ending.

Chose Destroy this time around. It just kind of makes more sense, I came to stop the reapers, that's what I'll do, and my Shepard was always willing to make sacrifices. I thought this ending was alright, but I still hate the explanation for the reapers purpose.

I also watched Control and it's better too.

Overall I think I like Destroy the most because it's the most "normal" and fits the games the most. Control is okay but kind of weird, synthesis is just retarded.

#46 Edited by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Control, the reapers are too useful to kill provided they are controlled.

Just gotta hope reaper-shephard doesn't go insane and become the last boss in mass effect 4 or something.

#47 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

I went synthesis, because what's cooler than becoming half robot?

#48 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

@benjaebe said:

Destroy. Fuck the reapers.

Word! Felt kinda bad about killing the Geth after what I achieved on Rannoch though.

Online
#49 Edited by Roger778 (955 posts) -

I finished a new playthrough of Mass Effect 3, today , and with the Extended Cut installed. Because of that, it felt like a brand new game to me.

I chose the Synthesis option, because that sounded like the best and most peaceful option to me. The new ending was powerful to watch, and seeing the war end and the reapers joining the humans made me shed a tear. Zack Shepard (my character) died, but he still saved the galaxy.

#50 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

Refuse because why not. We all die anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.