Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

What did YOU think of the Mass Effect 3 ending? - POLL

• 77 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Some are saying that the majority of players aren't happy with the ending, and others are saying that it's only another vocal minority complaining on the internet.  I thought this poll might be a fun way to see what Giant Bomb really thinks of the ending. 

Criticism mostly comes in the form of complaints with the matter of closure, mood, choice, or writing, so that's how I constructed the poll.  For anyone who feels differently, I've also included open ended like and dislike options.

After you have voted, if you want to get a good idea of why so many people dislike the ending, try this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E 

More importantly, try this section, which does a fantastic job of explaining why even the "Green" ending--which is the hardest to get, and is considered by many to be the "good" ending--goes against pretty much every single thing that you've been working for throughout the entire series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E&t=16m24s 

If someone cares to defend the "Green" ending after watching that, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. 

Oh, and if you're not happy with the ending, you might also find this interesting:  http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10056886/1

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By adoggz

do we need MORE topics about the ME3 ending?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@adoggz said:

Of course. The whole front page must be topics about the ME3 ending and the Giant Bomb merge.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By SmasheControllers

@adoggz said:

No we don't

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @SmasheControllers said:

@adoggz said:

No we don't

You know, it would be a nice feature to hide forums that you're not interested in from the front page.  Too bad that's not an option.  And there's pretty much no way of inserting a poll into an existing ending thread, so sorry about that.  I realize that there are quite a few threads on the subject already.
    Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Awful lot of options on this poll :O I like it! The poll, not the ending.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

I think the whole cliche thing could go either way. If it was happy, it would have been cliche, if it was depressing, it would have been cliche.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Samaritan

I liked it because it was what I felt was a fitting culmination for my Shepard's story across the three games. Appropriately sad, and it leaves the galaxy in a state of dramatic disrepair that is appropriate to the scale of the enemy that was being faced. In my mind, while the tool for the Reaper's destruction was essentially an unsatisfying deus ex machina, the level of change that had to happen to the galaxy because such an incredible force had been destroyed felt fitting in a way. The ending was rushed, yes, and all of the star child nonsense was just that, but the crucial events that played out and ended with the Reaper's destruction felt good enough.

Of course good enough isn't great, still, but it's better than the horrible travesty so many feel they had occur in their game. I can of course see the game's myriad endings seeming very out of place depending on the type of Shepard that was being played by other people, though. I just so happened to play a Shepard who fit nicely into the end sequence enough to make it feel natural, kind of.

I will say that if BioWare's goal with the ending was to evoke an emotional response from players, they succeeded with me. While I am easily susceptible to emotional and irrational bonds to characters and worlds that I have spent dozens, if not hundreds, of hours into, it still doesn't diminish the impact the end of that game had on me as a fan of that world and its amazing host of characters.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@SmasheControllers said:

@adoggz said:

No we don't

You know, it would be a nice feature to hide forums that you're not interested in from the front page. Too bad that's not an option. And there's pretty much no way of inserting a poll into an existing ending thread, so sorry about that. I realize that there are quite a few threads on the subject already.

It's cool, these threads don't bother me, it's the crazy people inside them.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I would have liked a poll just to see the general opinion, but this amount of options is ridiculous.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eaxis

I am quite convinced that Bioware isn't done with Mass Effect 3 and they will continue with Dlc that picks up right after the "ending".

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @JasonR86 said: 

Why would you feel it is necessary to make another 'ME 3 ending' thread when there are so many of these that you could add to? 

Poll. 

@FluxWaveZ said:

I would have liked a poll just to see the general opinion, but this amount of options is ridiculous.

Add the likes and the dislikes separately.  There, you have your general opinion. 

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Awful lot of options on this poll :O I like it! The poll, not the ending.

And not everyone seems to agree with you.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dingofighter

I disliked it for several of the reasons stated. 
    It didn't really take into account your actions and choices across the games, not even just ME3, but rather gave you 3 choices which all did the same thing no matter what you had done before. If you had gathered all possible forces (and united the whole galaxy!), it really wasn't any different than someone who had been an asshole to everyone. Sure, some of the choices in the end weren't available if your EMS was too low, but that makes no sense. Why would I not be able to choose one of the options that are still there, just not given to you,  just because I didn't have enough forces? 
    If they would have done it like the ME2 suicide mission where much of what happened on Earth was dependent on how many and what forces you had gathered, then it would have been taking into account your previous choices in a much better way. 

A lesser issue with the ending, I feel, is that you didn't feel like you had saved the galaxy. It felt like you had lost, even though the Reapers disappeared, since the relays were destroyed, leaving the survivors in a really bad position.  
    I have no problem with Shepard dying, but I feel like it should at least be a worthy sacrifice, not a sacrifice that makes things worse. The ending was sad enough already considering everyone who had died along the way, all the friends you had lost.  
    Shouldn't it feel like in the end, you sacrificed everything to save what you had been fighting for throughout the whole trilogy? Instead of you sacrificing everything including what you had been fighting for?

The worst part of the ending, to me, is the fact that big parts of it made no sense. The whole Normandy scene was nonsensical, and there is no explanation for why anything about it happened the way it did. It felt like a last ditch attempt to make the ending bittersweet instead of just bitter, even if that meant teleporting dead people and then magically healing them...  
    These parts are what is keeping me from accepting the ending as it is. 

Even though I think it could have been better, I can accept them wanting the series to end the way it did, but that still doesn't change the fact that the way they accomplished that was really bad...

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dtat

I disliked it for every reason listed (in the dislike section)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JasonR86

@SpaceInsomniac:

Like I said, it was an agreement.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's mainly the tonal shift. You spend the entire game creating peace between the Geth and the Quarians, and starting up a romance between EDI and Joker. And then the game says; "Sorry, organics and synthetics will never, ever get along", when you clearly just disproved that in some pretty significant ways. It backs you into a corner and forces you to forget everything you know about the ME universe, and choose between 3 shitty options.

Fuck that ending. Instead of neatly wrapping up the story they took a deep dive into high-concept sci-fi. Something the series has never been about.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I like it.

It's pissed off a lot of people, because it's so open to interpretation. Nothing is clear cut. And while I'd love to believe the indoctrination theory, I'm not convinced it's right, but it's cool that an ending has sparked such an incredibly in depth analysis from a wide range of folks out there.

It's very high concept, and in some ways it works... other ways it doesn't. But they tried, and for me, that's what counts. Rather than going for the typical "OH YAY WE WON" ending, they went for something far more crazy.

Like people have already said, it's pretty clear that Bioware will put out some post ending DLC. I just hope they don't wrap it up too neatly, or change anything that is currently in the game due to fan demand. Changing/expanding on plot points for future content is fine, but don't cave in Bioware and change the existing ending just because a group of people "demand it".

Although, my Shepard disintegrated... so how am I gonna be able to use him post ending?

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wsowen02

I disliked it for ALL of the reasons stated

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

@SpaceInsomniac said:

Some are saying that the majority of players aren't happy with the ending, and others are saying that it's only another vocal minority complaining on the internet. I thought this poll might be a fun way to see what Giant Bomb really thinks of the ending.

Criticism mostly comes in the form of complaints with the matter of closure, mood, choice, or writing, so that's how I constructed the poll. For anyone who feels differently, I've also included open ended like and dislike options.

Oh, and if you're not happy with the ending, you might find this interesting:
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10056886/1

OMG That link just pisses me off.....Seriously??? Wow that is F'd up. A,B,C endings..... Good thing they promised us we wouldn't get those types of endings.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Joeybagad0nutz said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

Some are saying that the majority of players aren't happy with the ending, and others are saying that it's only another vocal minority complaining on the internet. I thought this poll might be a fun way to see what Giant Bomb really thinks of the ending.

Criticism mostly comes in the form of complaints with the matter of closure, mood, choice, or writing, so that's how I constructed the poll. For anyone who feels differently, I've also included open ended like and dislike options.

Oh, and if you're not happy with the ending, you might find this interesting:
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10056886/1

OMG That link just pisses me off.....Seriously??? Wow that is F'd up. A,B,C endings..... Good thing they promised us we wouldn't get those types of endings.

Maybe someone should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.  Ha! 

Seriously though, I just added this to the OP, and I thought I'd post it here as well: 

After you have voted, if you want to get a good idea of why so many people dislike the ending, try this video:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E  

More importantly, try this section, which does a fantastic job of explaining why even the "Green" ending--which is the hardest to get, and is considered by many to be the "good" ending--goes against pretty much every single thing that you've been working for throughout the entire series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E&t=16m24s  

If someone cares to defend the "Green" ending after watching that, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.   

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought the ending was decent, I didn't really like the twist with the "God" at the end (the spirit-child-thingy) but other than that it was fine and made good sense.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Dreamfall31

Disliked it most because it felt like everything else I had done in the series meant nothing at all...and that EVERY end is the same, just a teeny different.

Also dumb that Shepard is alive, only if you play the multiplayer enough to get the 100% readieness. How the fuck does he/she survive the crashing of the Citadel AND falling through space again?

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By phrosnite

B.

I cannot understand why people bitch about "Oh, my decisions don't matter". You know what? Shut up. I loved that even though Shepard saved everybody in the end they are all fucked because they won't be able to travel to distant planets and systems. GG!

Also why people call the child a "god child"? What? It just took that the form of that kid because that was one the thing on the mind of Shepard. Haven't you fuckers(in a good way) seen Beast Wars?

Edit:

@FoxMulder said:

Disliked it most because it felt like everything else I had done in the series meant nothing at all...and that EVERY end is the same, just a teeny different.

Also dumb that Shepard is alive, only if you play the multiplayer enough to get the 100% readieness. How the fuck does he/she survive the crashing of the Citadel AND falling through space again?

The Destroy endings are bullshit anyway no matter whether shepard lives or dies. Destroy Control and Synthesis make more sense.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Harkat

To the people saying that the ending getting so much analysis means it is good: People aren't analyzing it because the ending is so good, it's because the story in general was very compelling, and it takes a lot of mental twisting to shape the ending into something that was actually in line with the story of the game.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @phrosnite said:

The Destroy endings are bullshit anyway no matter whether shepard lives or dies. Destroy Control and Synthesis make more sense.

I just posted this in another thread, but I'll add it here as well:
    The indoctrination theory isn't even needed, really.  It all comes down to "do you trust the words of a reaper?"  At first the Synthesis ending seemed like the "can't we all just get along?" ending, but after thinking about it, I don't agree with that anymore.   Sorry, Joker.  You and EDI don't get to repopulate the planet with little Robocop children.

And for the record, I didn't really agree with the green ending then, even if I did view it as "paragon."  My first action upon my first playthrough was to turn around and shoot reaper child in his stupid ghostly head.  When that didn't work--and I didn't think it would--I headed right for the destroy option.  It's what I'd been waiting three games to do, and I wasn't going to let some stupid ghostly reaper kid--or some stupid game developer, if you'd rather view it that way--drop a bunch of "if you do this, then this will happen" conditional bullshit on me in the last ten minutes of the game. 

Fuck that. 
    Destroy all the way.  Screw the reaper kid, and the game developer that he rode in on.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By phrosnite

@SpaceInsomniac: You are crazy! With Destroy you are destroying ALL synthetic life in the galaxy - reapers, geth, EDI, etc. As I said... Crazy! By doing so you are rendering all Shepard has worked for meaningless- [Edit:] the cycle will repeat. Now... FUCK THAT!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By xyzygy

Over 70% of users didn't like the endings. Massive fail on Bioware's part.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NTM

@Harkat: I just meant how it could be cliche. I could have expected the ending to go either way. I didn't mean that you can look at the ending at both sides.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I thought it was okay, i guess.

A bit dumb but whatever.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wasara88

Like many others, i hated it for all the given reasons, but mainly for the tonal shift.

The ending just doesn't feel like it belongs to the Mass effect universe.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#32  Edited By Valkyr

Mass Effect 2 ending was garbage, we should have expected this, a lot of things doesn't make sense, why the collectors began building the proto reaper in the first place, what happened to all the dark energy stuff that was teased in ME2 and even during ME3 at some parts. The endings are indeed pretty stupid and if you think about it, the canonical ending will end up being the destroy - good ending, the one where Shepard lives, how can the other two be the perfect ending. The thing is, now that the whole galaxy knows that developing AIs is really bad (a thing that everybody already knew after the Geth draw the Quarians out of Rannoch), the pattern that the Catalyst claims to be the inevitable end of all organics can't be applied. To sum up, I didn't like it, I was expecting the whole dark energy stuff

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FunkyHugo

Though I disliked the ending, my main gripe with the game is the manner in which Bioware treated main characters from ME2 (I.E. Miranda), I don't give a shit about Ashley!

815Sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 815Sox

No matter what the results of the poll are... it is two small of a sample size to make any claims of majority or minority. This is stats 101.

Same reason you cannot take a guy who hits .310 for a week and then project he will continue to do so for the rest of the year. That same guy could hit .220 the next week because he was facing less favorable matchups or plays in a bandbox of a stadium.

Jaxboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jaxboy

I greatly enjoyed the game, just as I expected to - based on my experiences with the first two. How it ended isn't important to me - the fact that it had to end is the downer.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ExplodeMode

Combo of F and I.  No surprise that those are the two highest results.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By jimbo_n

A. For sure. I do not get the outrage at all even though I was expecting to. It was thought provoking, epic and beautiful.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ajamafalous

FHI

Avatar image for deactivated-61f31c6da0e7f
    deactivated-61f31c6da0e7f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@S0ndor: by that logic, which I agree with, then the destroy ending should be the best ending. prove the god child wrong by destroying the reapers and letting the species of the universe prove him wrong. to me, when you use that kind of thinking, the ending becomes a lot better.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sickVisionz

I thought it was good enough.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By big_jon

It's not that bad, people sure are whiny.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Death_Burnout

@Creamypies said:

It's very high concept, and in some ways it works... other ways it doesn't. But they tried, and for me, that's what counts. Rather than going for the typical "OH YAY WE WON" ending, they went for something far more crazy.

Quoted for fucking truth.

The uproar over this beyond stupid. Do people really need everything spelled out for them these days? I don't want to make a connection to LOST but I will anyway. When that ended it was a similar deal, people were pissed they didn't get straight answers, and sure there was the whole other thing with that ending, which I liked but that's neither here nor there.

The point it is that you don't need things to wrap up ever so neatly for you to enjoy an ending, for once just take things for what they are worth. Now you may argue that the ending is poorly written and contradicts itself and well fair enough, that's your opinion, and even I acknowledge, that yeah, it's got problems, but I am glad the ending I got left me thinking for days about the ME universe and how much I cared and still do care about those 3 games, I honestly don't think I would have been satisfied with a cookie cutter ending.

Mass Effect from the get go has been a dire, dire series, I knew going into this game that things were not going to end well for my Shepard and low and behold, they didn't. Also, the whole buildup to the ending is great I think, it has such an eerie atmosphere, making all the indoctrination theories kinda ring true in a way that leaves me thinking about the ending even more, and that's a really good thing.

If there is one thing that really bums me out over the ending is the cop out at the end, but at the very least that scene is really beautiful. If they changed a couple of lines of dialogue in that scene to not go "one more story" the ending would be damn near perfect to me.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheCowman

I purposely avoided all spoilers until I actually beat the game, but I did hear that a lot of people didn't like the ending so I was bracing myself before-hand.

Now, I'm a very "storybook ending" kinda guy. If someone says that the ending to something is "too happy" or "wraps up too neatly" it usually means I'll enjoy it. Melancholy and/or ambiguous endings have to be done in a very specific way for me to enjoy them (i.e. Max Payne games).

That being said, I was really touched by my ending in ME3. And I surprised myself by not picking the "best" ending. I had 100% Galactic Readiness and over 7,000 war asset points; but when the choices were laid out to me, I just couldn't accept the consequences that the "best" ending would produce. So I took another option. And unless Bioware releases post-ending DLC that drastically changes the consequences of the endings, I'll probably stick with that ending for every subsequent playthrough.

It wasn't the ending I would have written, but it was touching and satisfying for me anyway. Here's to you, Bioware. Don't let the haters get ya down. :)

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SeriouslyNow

What do YOU think about incontinence?

• I Like It.  Nappy Man.
    • Ewww.  What's wrong with you?
    • Depends.
    Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tarsier

i liked it for all the reasons stated

however thats not to say mass effect 3 was a perfect game, the 2nd one is much better. but it was still a great game, and i loved the conclusions to all the stories and how it was handled. if they didnt spend time on the multiplayer they could have made the game better, but i thought the ending was radical and if that time was spent on the campaign id prefer it to be else where than the ending

do you get what im saying dude?

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#46  Edited By bobafettjm

I thought it was fine. I didn't really like or dislike it, it was just kind of there.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Death_Burnout said:

If there is one thing that really bums me out over the ending is the cop out at the end, but at the very least that scene is really beautiful. If they changed a couple of lines of dialogue in that scene to not go "one more story" the ending would be damn near perfect to me.

"My sweet." Ugh.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By Enigma777

Why isn't there a neutral option?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Enigma777 said:

Why isn't there a neutral option?

I thought about including the option, but then I realized that I didn't really care to hear from anyone who couldn't decide one way or another.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheHT

@TheCowman said:

I purposely avoided all spoilers until I actually beat the game, but I did hear that a lot of people didn't like the ending so I was bracing myself before-hand.

Now, I'm a very "storybook ending" kinda guy. If someone says that the ending to something is "too happy" or "wraps up too neatly" it usually means I'll enjoy it. Melancholy and/or ambiguous endings have to be done in a very specific way for me to enjoy them (i.e. Max Payne games).

That being said, I was really touched by my ending in ME3. And I surprised myself by not picking the "best" ending. I had 100% Galactic Readiness and over 7,000 war asset points; but when the choices were laid out to me, I just couldn't accept the consequences that the "best" ending would produce. So I took another option. And unless Bioware releases post-ending DLC that drastically changes the consequences of the endings, I'll probably stick with that ending for every subsequent playthrough.

It wasn't the ending I would have written, but it was touching and satisfying for me anyway. Here's to you, Bioware. Don't let the haters get ya down. :)

I don't think there is a best ending. Just like there's no right or wrong choice with dealing with the genophage, or the geth, or almost anything else in the Mass Effect games.

If the endings had played out like that fake BioWare post on the penny-arcade forums said they would (galatic readiness results in more/less damage to Earth) then I suppose there would be a best ending.

As it is now though, there's just three choices with, to varying degrees, some big implications for the galaxy, and they're all appropriate for a Mass Effect game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.