Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 21, 2017

Set in a galaxy far from the Milky Way, Mass Effect: Andromeda puts players in the role of a Pathfinder tasked with exploring new habitable worlds and investigating mysterious technology.

Andromeda's single-player DLC reportedly canned (not the hoax)

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So Kotaku's Jason Schreier posted an article today in response to the now-discredited Facebook rumor about a 3rd party dev doing MEA DLC.

Yesterday, a widely shared Facebook post claimed that BioWare had canceled Mass Effect: Andromeda’s downloadable content. The good news: that Facebook post was a hoax. The bad news: they guessed correctly. Mass Effect: Andromeda will indeed not be receiving any single-player DLC, three people familiar with BioWare’s plans have told me.

This is an enormous bummer, because as those of you who have finished the game know, they left 3-4 major plot threads hanging at the ending, and had extremely blatant DLC bait when you load your save from after the credits. Whatever you think of Andromeda, I personally was at least hoping that I'd get closure on the story the were trying to tell, especially given all those assurances that this wasn't supposed to be the start of a new trilogy.

So long Mass Effect, it's been a good run.

No Caption Provided

So for those of you waiting on that Complete edition, don't bother. They are still supposedly not done with patches and multiplayer support, but at this point I wouldn't expect anything more than bugfixes and balance changes.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

"So long Mass Effect, it's been a good run."

I highly doubt we've seen the last of Mass Effect. Of the Andromeda galaxy, sure. Of the Milky Way? No way in hell; they just won't entrust it to Bioware Montreal again.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

They should just leave Mass Effect proper alone and make a spiritual successor.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@theht: Yeah I agree. I loved Mass Effect but there was quite a bit about it that was an evolution of the work they'd done in KOTOR and it would be nice to see that sort of evolution once again.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole handling of Andromeda was just terribly short-sighted. They had a great, popular, IP and they did enormous damage by releasing a cheap unfinished game. Now, instead of trying to repair that damage by going out on a high note, they're cutting their losses.

That's fine for something like ReCore (another game that had potential but was released buggy and never finished) where it's a new IP and will be forgotten*, but Mass Effect had a lot of value. Now the next time you try to sell an ME game you're going to get many fewer pre-orders and a lot more skepticism.

What they should have done was patch the thing up and put their best creative talent on a really strong DLC ending, wrap up the plot, and give it away for free. That would at least have left people eager for the next Mass Effect.

What a mismanaged project.

*Of course ReCore was supposed to be a big IP to move Xboxes, which is its own problem, but the point is that ReCore itself wasn't a particularly valuable product.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Mass Effect deserved better than this. What a bummer.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This isn't a great look for them, but I'm not convinced releasing any sort of DLC would've been a great look either. Even if whatever they had planned turned out okay it's still attached to a game that is more or less toxic on both a critical and word-of-mouth level.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA "cut their losses" when they gave this game to the C team. It's obvious they don't care about this franchise anymore, they wanted to milk it just a little bit more before the end and focus Bioware on making that bland looking Destiny clone instead.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks for the people who actually got to the ending. I may hop back on if they add stuff to the multiplayer, but i doubt i would pay for any dlc for it.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: They had two choices, either dig in and fix it all or cut out now

neverlands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By neverlands

Does anyone care after number 2?

MisterEyeballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MisterEyeballs

Probably the right move. I couldn't be bothered to finish the main game, let alone play more of it.

The ME universe is still so rich and full of potential. I don't think it has to be done forever. Let it rest for a while (like, 10 years), and then come back with a worthy successor.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ivdamke
    @oursin_360 said:

Sucks for the people who actually got to the ending. I may hop back on if they add stuff to the multiplayer, but i doubt i would pay for any dlc for it.

I dunno, I got to the ending and I certainly don't want anymore ME:A.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to start over.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I was very much invested for a 2nd trilogy, disappointed to see what's become of it. I actually didn't mind Andromeda that much, it certainly wasn't as good as 1, 2 or 3 but I took it as an Assassin's Creed scenario where AC2 was a massive leap over the 1st game. I guess studios working for EA don't have that kind of luxury.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This was expected but still sad news for me. I enjoyed Andromeda despite it's flaws. There was room for some great DLC that could have developed some hype for a sequel and restore some goodwill for people who were disappointed. EA just hasn't cherished this franchise. It deserves much more consideration and support. Now they are setting up the franchise to fail, or disappear, abandoning this game so completely. Bummer.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rethla

At least we wont get all the usual people saying "But you have to play the payed DLC its the best part of the game" like all other Biowaregames.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a shame what happened to the franchise, but its not that surprising that EA treated it the way they did; passing it off to a support studio and forgetting about it. The combined sales of the trilogy were only around 14 million copies, which is solid, but not breathtakingly amazing. There are plenty of single AAA games that do better than that, and trilogies that do much better (The Witcher series is past 25 million copies). What it did do though was cement the reputation of Bioware Edmonton (the ending of 3 not withstanding), and it makes sense that EA would want that studio working on something likely to sell better.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who honestly didn't care about (and eventually came to despise) the Kett / Yuuzhan Vong / Organic Borg, the Remnant / Forerunners / Protheans / Precursors / Clichés, the Scourge plot contrivance that was a comical excuse for everything wonky in the Heleus Cluster, and the poorly written characters, this doesn't phase me in the least. Good riddance.

My condolences though to those who did get emotionally invested in this game. I'm sure it sucks to be expecting a Dragon Age: Inquisition level of DLC support (3 very well done, decently lengthy mini-expansions) and get literally nothing. Maybe there'll be another Mass Effect game in five years that'll turn out better, or not. *shrug*

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crommi said:

EA probably saw that their monetization options with ME:A were very slim due to it being primarily single-player experience. They must have seen the moneytrain Activision-Blizzard has been riding on thanks to successfully implemented micro-transactions in their games. Most people wouldn't buy skins or any kind of boost items in single-player games like Mass Effect, but they are huge deal in multiplayer games and spending money on those is fairly common.

It just seems like EA is completely missing out on the monetization opportunities offered by current trend of large-scale, multiplayer games like Destiny, Ghost Recon Wildlands and PUBG.

Eh it didn't get a lot of press buzz at the time but ME3's multiplayer actually had a pretty strong playerbase and ME:A's multiplayer seems to cater to that crowd as well and has it's own loot box system so I wouldn't say that monetization options were that slim.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It was already dead..

Now let's all board the Anthem train, and ride that into the ground.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By forkboy

@blu3v3nom07 said:

It was already dead..

Nah, I'll get back aboard the train when they make a single player RPG which has a half-decent story & isn't a broken mess. Until then I'll just clutch my copy of Dragon Age Origins close to my chest.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Soooo... Not worth picking up for $30 on CDKeys?

BoxxyBae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was already dead..

I agree. Choo choo! See you guys in 2019

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@boxxybae said:

@facelessvixen: Isnt CDKeys sketch af?

That's G2A and Kinguin. CDKeys (along with GreenManGaming) has been a more upstanding site for buying, at best, divisive, at worst, sub-par and disappointing games over the two years I've been using it; such as Watch Dogs 1, The Crew, Dragon Age Inquisition, Batman Arkham Knight, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and the season pass for Fallout 4. Kind of a bummer to have to group yet another highly anticipated, tripple-A/big budget game into the proverbial bargain bin, but it is what it is I guess. I've had time to make my peace with this whole Andromeda clusterfuck.

Also, thanks for reminding me of 2009.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, no amount of DLC could solve the deep rooted issues of this game. Such a shame. Really, fuck EA. Mass Effect deserved to be the flagship game.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

The real shame to me right now is the multiplayer isn't even getting content support. It has a player base but they are just going to let it sit there and then die off. I have played more than 100 hours but I have been squeezing the stone on that few maps, even really enjoying much of the rest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.