Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

Im buying ME2 on the PS3 but...

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matpaget

I would still like to play Mass Effect 1 on the Xbox 360. Can anyone say that's a good idea, bad idea, or it really doesn't matter as long as I can sleep at night? 

So to sum it up
    I'll play Mass Effect on the Xbox 360 and then once the PS3 releases Mass Effect 2 I'll play through that version.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

Does Mass Effect 2 read your previous game saves? I'm in a similar situation.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

You should play all the Mass Effect games on the same platform so that you can transfer saves. Trust me, it's worth it. 

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By davidwitten22

Don't play ME1. You can't transfer from X360 to PS3, and the game is a complete chore to get through, especially if you have already played some of ME2. But I don't really like either game so it probably shouldn't be up to me.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eristocrat

Play both on the same platform.  I don't know how the motion comic at the beginning of 2 on the PS3 works but there are some really small decisions that get imported and referenced that I'd really doubt they move over to the PS3 version.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By sixghost
    @Geno said:

" You should play all the Mass Effect games on the same platform so that you can transfer saves. Trust me, it's worth it.  "

Completely disagree. The only reason you should ever play ME1 is to enjoy the story. The save transfer thing was 100% hype, it literally changed 4 conversations. Unless they somehow pull a complete 180 on their implementation of that stuff, it doesn't really matter.

Also, ME1 is really REALLY hard to get through these days. Just the base third-person shootering is about 5 steps backwards.
    Lolimoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lolimoto

You should definitely play ME1 to experience the glory of the Mako and the inventory system. Well, I'm probably the only one who enjoyed those 2 aspects of the game and was really bummed that they were removed.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I love the original Mass Effect despite some of its flaws. If you are already planning on playing Mass Effect on the 360, buy Mass Effect 2 on the 360, and follow sooth with Mass Effect 3. The game transfers your save to give you a more continuous experience.

Lolimoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lolimoto
    @sixghost: 
    Well, the combat in both games is straight up broken. 
    You can hit enemies as long as they're visible on your screen, which means that you can shoot through walls with no chance of you getting hit. 
    The abilities of your squad members also work that way. If YOU can see the enemy on your screen, THEIR attacks will hit.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Vorbis

Play ME1 on 360 or PC, it's worth playing. Then during the PS3 comic that shows the ME1 storyline just choose the same choices you made on ME1. It will be the same as if you had played on the same platform bar a couple of quests that would of just sent you an email anyway.

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By litrock
    @sixghost: Wrex begs to differ on the choices 'not mattering'.
    AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AndyPhifer

When people say the save transfer from 1 to 2 did nothing to impact the second game, they always forget they haven't played the third and don't know what they'll do with it there.
    eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eristocrat
    @sixghost: Did you see how different Tuchanka can be?
    sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sterbacblu

I think the choices matter and add to the game experience, so I would play them on 360 or PC.  If anything the only bummer you'll get from playing the original Mass Effect is you'll realize that it's way better than ME2. 

@Lolimoto:     I'm with you on the inventory system and the Mako.  Dropping to a planet and driving around was way better than the repetitive scanning in ME2.  I even felt the Mako was easier to drive than the Warthog in the Halo series.  I feel like I"m the only person that doesn't "get" how to drive those.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By Chris2KLee

If you can, I'd say just play it all on 360. The file save transfer is worth it, and you can probably get ME2 on 360 cheaper than the PS3 version will be new. If you want to play on PS3, then just use the interactive comic included to get up to speed and make the major choices. You can probably use youtube to pick up any missing story or cinematics.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
    @Lolimoto said:
    " You should definitely play ME1 to experience the glory of the Mako and the inventory system. Well, I'm probably the only one who enjoyed those 2 aspects of the game and was really bummed that they were removed. "
    Me too. Not so much the Mako, but I enjoyed all the inventory. Pink suits are glorious on my male Shepard! 
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zombie2011

Play both on the same platform, imho ME1 is a must play if your gonna play ME2,

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Play both on the same platform, its bloody worth it.
    Its your character, your story.
    The DLC is honestly not worth it, its fun but not needed.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Burns098356GX

Im doing all the same stuff, but on 360. I bought a used copy of ME1 a few days ago, picked up ME2 yesterday. Still working through 1, but I am enjoying it.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Vorbis

I spent a long time doing a perfect playthrough of ME1, I did every quest and planet possible... I was disappointed when 90% of the choices gave me an extra line of dialogue, a damn email or nothing.

The only important choices will be available through the comic so I'll be moving my character to PS3. Playing it for the story is kind of vital.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @sixghost said:
    " @Geno said:

" You should play all the Mass Effect games on the same platform so that you can transfer saves. Trust me, it's worth it.  "

Completely disagree. The only reason you should ever play ME1 is to enjoy the story. The save transfer thing was 100% hype, it literally changed 4 conversations. Unless they somehow pull a complete 180 on their implementation of that stuff, it doesn't really matter.  Also, ME1 is really REALLY hard to get through these days. Just the base third-person shootering is about 5 steps backwards. "
    You are talking out of ignorance, and you're not even considering what they'll do in Mass Effect 3.

And the gameplay in Mass Effect 1 is perfectly fine, just don't play Soldier and you won't be bored. I went back to finish the first game's achievements after mass effect 2 and it's not as jarring as you think. 

@MatPaget: Also I think you're letting all this "OH MY GOD THEY ARE USING THE MASS EFFECT 3 ENGINE, PS3 RAPES" get to your head. 

After the demo came out digital foundry and lens of truth found that while the lighting is definitely better, the textures are still sharper on the 360 and they really don't look that different. After all the 360's Mass Effect 3 version will have the new engine too...add that and the fact that mass effect 2 on the 360 is only 20 dollars....
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going to go through all the trouble to play Mass Effect 1, you should finish the trilogy on the same platform you started on. It's not "4 different conversations," it's a large number of both large and small differences, and even the smallest of decisions you made will pop up from time to time, whether it's in an email or a chance encounter that gives you a bonus quest or something. There are also some cases where they're clearly leading up to making some of those choices have an impact on ME3.

I had to start up Mass Effect 2 with a clear save thanks to the ME1 importer not working until a month in, and from experience, I hated just about every choice they made for you. Even if that little comic gives you the chances to make 5 or so decisions, they're still going to assume your Shepard did certain things in Mass Effect 1, that especially after playing the game, you probably won't agree with.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Azteck
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " Don't play ME1. You can't transfer from X360 to PS3, and the game is a complete chore to get through, especially if you have already played some of ME2. But I don't really like either game so it probably shouldn't be up to me. "
    Don't listen to him. ME1 is great if you ask me.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ravensword

You should experince ME 1 before playing 2 because youll atleast know characters and stuff like that. If you do like you are saying you want to do it, you wont carry choices over, but youll still experince the first game, which is great in itself. I say go for it. The decisions you wanted to make in ME 1 you could make with that Comic anyway.  

(and to be honest, having a ME 1 save transfer to ME 2 didnt change that much in ME 2.)
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phantomzxro
    it really comes down to you and what you wanna do. if you have not played mass effect before and you want the whole full experience it would be much easier on the 360 or PC and play them all on one system. If you don't care or want to mainly play on  ps3 then i would say just use the comic thing in that one which will get the most important choices in there for you to make that will shape mass effect 2 for you. You could always buy mass effect 1 for the cheap and do a power run just to see the events for yourself but your saves will be useless if you going to stick to the ps3 version.

So I would say xbox 360 is still the best system to play it on but if you don't mind missing out on the first then  yes you could just play the ps3 version. Unlike me i will just get both because i love me some mass effect.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By davidwitten22
    @Azteck said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " Don't play ME1. You can't transfer from X360 to PS3, and the game is a complete chore to get through, especially if you have already played some of ME2. But I don't really like either game so it probably shouldn't be up to me. "
    Don't listen to him. ME1 is great if you ask me. "
    He's probably right. However, if you do play ME1, please play it with someone who has already played it. Cause at one point they just kind of release you into a gigantic fucking universe with little help. At that point I was like "whaa?" and fucked around for an hour til my roommate got back from class and told me what to do.
    aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By aleryn

I love Mass Effect in general, but the sequel is such a better game than the original that I think you're not missing out.  Just wait for that summary that comes with the PS3 version and learn through that.  Though I will say that the PC version is a huge improvement on all fronts over the Xbox one.  I get the feeling that Bioware was forced to push the Xbox version out the door like six months early.  Xbox hardware could run that game if it was optimized better.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Master_Funk

I think the motion comic wil probably give u all the choices you need for playing 2, and I really doubt that bioware would use anything other than those choices in affecting mass effect 3 since they do not want any differences in the experience

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SSully

Compared to Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 1 is shit. Even if you play it before ME2 it is very dull, and has some bad game mechanics that make you want to just stop playing. I beat it once when it came out on PC and that was more then enough for me. I tried to go back a play it before ME2 came out because I lost my original save file, but i could not get past the citadel because it is just so tedious. Unless you do not have any other games to play, I say skip ME1. ME2 is a better game by leaps and bounds, and they catch you up on the story pretty nicely with the ps3 version. 

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sixghost
    @litrock said:

" @sixghost: Wrex begs to differ on the choices 'not mattering'. "

Oh you mean the one conversation tree that changes if Wrex is alive or dead? Whether Wrex is dead or not doesn't change the actual mission that takes place on the Krogan planet.  Same thing with the Ashley/other guy choice, it changes one conversation tree. I'll eat my hat if Bioware pulls through and the choices carry over in a huge way in ME3, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By captain_clayman

play both on xbox or PC.  transferring saves makes everything better

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai
    @MatPaget:
     ME 1 is a good game indeed but frankly I was kinda disappointed by that whole "Save transfer" as it really came down to minor changes in ME2. It's truly nothing to fret about. I really can only think about one piece of information that is reveled in ME1 that's truly important to the story but the codex takes care of that and I am sure the comics will take care of the most important decisions and pieces of information. 

Just to let you know, I played ME1 to death and ME2 3 times on the 360 and I fully intend on getting it for the PS3. Why? Well, because I am a MASSive Effect fan.  
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sixghost
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @sixghost said:
    " @Geno said:

Completely disagree. The only reason you should ever play ME1 is to enjoy the story. The save transfer thing was 100% hype, it literally changed 4 conversations. Unless they somehow pull a complete 180 on their implementation of that stuff, it doesn't really matter.  Also, ME1 is really REALLY hard to get through these days. Just the base third-person shootering is about 5 steps backwards. "
    You are talking out of ignorance, and you're not even considering what they'll do in Mass Effect 3.

And the gameplay in Mass Effect 1 is perfectly fine, just don't play Soldier and you won't be bored. I went back to finish the first game's achievements after mass effect 2 and it's not as jarring as you think. 

@MatPaget: Also I think you're letting all this "OH MY GOD THEY ARE USING THE MASS EFFECT 3 ENGINE, PS3 RAPES" get to your head.  After the demo came out digital foundry and lens of truth found that while the lighting is definitely better, the textures are still sharper on the 360 and they really don't look that different. After all the 360's Mass Effect 3 version will have the new engine too...add that and the fact that mass effect 2 on the 360 is only 20 dollars.... "
    Why would I assume the choices will make a huge difference in ME3 when they couldn't even get them to play a big role in ME2? All that's changed is that there are even more possible permutations in the choices now.  It's just way too much work to make decisions carry over in a meaningful way. Keep drinking the Bioware koolaid, that Bioware PR rep on the bombcast was pumping up the huge effects your choices would have in ME2, so I have no real reason to expect anything different in ME3.

Also, the combat system was broken in ME1. The companion AI was awful. The cover system didn't work. The only reason it was playable was because Biotic and Tech powers were ridiculously overpowered.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sixghost
    @animathias said:
    "

If you're going to go through all the trouble to play Mass Effect 1, you should finish the trilogy on the same platform you started on. It's not "4 different conversations," it's a large number of both large and small differences, and even the smallest of decisions you made will pop up from time to time, whether it's in an email or a chance encounter that gives you a bonus quest or something. There are also some cases where they're clearly leading up to making some of those choices have an impact on ME3.

I had to start up Mass Effect 2 with a clear save thanks to the ME1 importer not working until a month in, and from experience, I hated just about every choice they made for you. Even if that little comic gives you the chances to make 5 or so decisions, they're still going to assume your Shepard did certain things in Mass Effect 1, that especially after playing the game, you probably won't agree with.

"
    Care to point out the changes? 
    The council chioce - changes 1-2 conversations on the citadel, also 1-2 overheard things on the citadel
    Ashley/guy whos name I can't remember - Changes 1 email, 1 awful conversation on Horizon(i think that's the name)
    Thorian - Whether or not you killed the Thorian controlled Asari results in 1 short conversation, 1 email. Also, whether you killed the colonists on that same planet results in 1 throwaway quest that takes about 2 minutes to complete.
    Wrex - Changes 1 conversation on the Krogan planet.
    Organized Crime Lady - 1 throwaway conversation in the nightclub.
    Rachni - maybe 1 email?  

There are other things that I can't remember that are all emails.
    Obviously saying it was just 4 conversations was an exaggeration, but it's all small, meaningless stuff like those examples. We'll see if they come through and make this stuff matter in ME3 but I'm extremely skeptical after seeing how it was handled in ME2.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sixghost:

I can't remember all the choices or all the changes, since I haven't played ME1 in years and I can barely pull myself to slog through the rest of ME2. But the last time I played ME2, I got a pretty neat conversation that made it seem like your Rachni choice was going to have an impact on the 3rd game. In fact, I was hit with about 4 or 5 different quests and conversations in an hour sitting about things I didn't even remember - but I'm happy to know that made those decisions, whether or not I remembered what had happened, and that the game didn't decide how people would react to me.

Think as you will, my main point stands: If someone is going to go through the trouble of playing through Mass Effect 1, then they should carry their choices over. If they want to just play the PS3 versions of 2 and 3, then skip it. I don't see any point in playing through an entire game, then move on to ME2 to find out that people treat you differently than how you acted in the first.

And finally, to be perfectly honest. After losing interest in the game due to other releases around the time of its release and trying to go back in now, most of the stuff specific to Mass Effect 2 that isn't part of the story are boring conversations or throwaway quests. Compared to some meaningless conversation with some dude in a spacestation about something I don't care about, having Wrex still being alive seems massive. It's all a letdown.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By matpaget
    @Doctorchimp said:  
    @MatPaget: Also I think you're letting all this "OH MY GOD THEY ARE USING THE MASS EFFECT 3 ENGINE, PS3 RAPES" get to your head.  After the demo came out digital foundry and lens of truth found that while the lighting is definitely better, the textures are still sharper on the 360 and they really don't look that different. After all the 360's Mass Effect 3 version will have the new engine too...add that and the fact that mass effect 2 on the 360 is only 20 dollars.... "
    That has nothing to do with my decision though haha
    I want to play the PS3 version because I prefer the PS3 controller over the Xbox 360's
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @MatPaget: For a third person shooter? What? 

You must have some small hands..or...I don't know. Every time I hear that I take a double take.
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By matpaget
    @Doctorchimp: Nah I've got huge hands =P
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Jayross
    @MatPaget PLAY MASS EFFECT 1 BECAUSE IT IS AWESOME! (story better than ME2)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.