Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

New Player Help.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Duffyside

Hey all, just started this game a little while ago and I have a question that's bugging me; should I choose a specific path, renegade/paragon, or can I just pick whatever dialogue option I like the best in the moment? What is the benefit of choosing to go all the way one way or the other? Will I be missing out by staying somewhere int he middle or not getting all the way blue/red as quickly as I would otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Duffyside: I think it's better to stick with one and go all the way with it. Maxing out your speaking skills is pretty rewarding in this game, and focusing on either Paragon or Renegade is the best way to go. I wouldn't recommend staying in the middle.
    Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Wemibelle

It is certainly possible if you want to go that route.  Both games can be a little weird with it being in the middle in a few cases but it doesn't break the game or anything.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

You can do both but i believe you get bonuses for 100% Paragon or Renegade...Although that might be Kotor. Just play the way you want to play it duder, it's an RPG game after all.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BunkerBuster

<SPOILER> 
    If I remember correctly anything less than 80 percent either way gets Wrex killed.
    Why would you let that happen, you monster?

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mike76x

I always play Mass Effect 100% paragon, then 100% renegade that way I get the full experience of each side with all the stat  benefits.
    After that when I play for missed achievements I mix it up.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Red
    @BunkerBuster: If you do his sidequest though, or have a high enough charm/intimidate skill, he survives, I'm pretty sure. The final charm/intimidate check in the game is the only thing I think really requires the full charm/intimidate to work.

But you do want to stick with one side if possible, because of the bonuses. However, my first playthrough I tried to do as renegade, but I ended up kinda splitting, as there are some tough choices in the game. I actually did fine, and some of the choices had a greater affect on me than if I was just playing through always picking the bottom choice. 
    ME2 is where your Paragon/Renegade score really matters, as there is no longer a real charm/intimidate skill line.
    Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Alex_Murphy
    @BunkerBuster said:
    <SPOILER> If I remember correctly anything less than 80 percent either way gets Wrex killed.Why would you let that happen, you monster?
    If you highlight some text and hit the red (!) button you can cover up the spoiler part of a post so you don't ruin things for people.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Dingofighter

If you stay somewhere in between, there will be times where you can't choose a paragon or renegade dialogue choice, so for the first time through it's maybe best to focus on one path.
    The bad thing about that is if you want to make a renegade choice at some point when playing paragon you can't do that and vice versa.
    Still, I think focusing on one path is the best just so that you don't end up in a situation where you can't choose either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.