Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Virmir/Wrex dilemma leaves me wondering (Spoilers)

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheFreeMan

(Spoilers ahead!)

Okay, so when you go to Virmire, you learn that Saren has a cure to the Genophage (the disease that is killing off the Krogan by way of infertility) and is using it to breed his own army of Krogan. Everybody (except Wrex) figures you should blow the whole facility to hell to destroy it.

What I don't get is why they feel the need to destroy the cure as well. They could've taken it and used it to save Wrex's whole species. I can understand blowing up the facility to destroy the Krogan army, but was it really necessary to doom a entire race to extinction (practically)?

When I played through it, I was really expecting there to be a choice to take the cure and save the Krogan, but nope. I think that this probably would've been a good area for a Paragon/Renegade choice (I mean, you can choose to let another species live or die later that is even worse than the Krogan....).

(Random Note: A Council species used biological warfare? Not very diplomatic.....)

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By freezerr

Yeah, I was really surprised as well that I didn't have the option to find the cure.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By SteamPunkJin

It's been 8-12months since my last ME play through but I seem to remember the Krogan having a few more problems than just the Genophage. As a race they seem unwilling to work together, Wrex often laments that they leave their home planet and never return, there is no Krogan society to save.

While this is pure speculation on my part, it would seem after the war and the genophage that the Krogan may very be beyond saving, you need a certain amount of genetic diversity for a species to maintain itself, given how wise spread the Genophage is supposed to be, and how few Krogans there are, it seems unlikely that even w/ a cure they could be saved.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheFreeMan
    SteamPunkJin said:
    "It's been 8-12months since my last ME play through but I seem to remember the Krogan having a few more problems than just the Genophage. As a race they seem unwilling to work together, Wrex often laments that they leave their home planet and never return, there is no Krogan society to save. While this is pure speculation on my part, it would seem after the war and the genophage that the Krogan may very be beyond saving, you need a certain amount of genetic diversity for a species to maintain itself, given how wise spread the Genophage is supposed to be, and how few Krogans there are, it seems unlikely that even w/ a cure they could be saved."
    Yeah, Wrex does say that the Genophage isn't the only problem. Their species is a warring type, and they never stick around to try and rebuild at all.

But if the Genophage was cured, it would sure help, as they could repopulate at a immense rate.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It boils down to this: It's not the phage that makes them bad, they are simply bad by default (like the Romulans in Star Trek), so the cure would make things worse. With that (stupid) premise it doesn't make sense to give the player the "cure"-option.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zombie2011

I just got to this part yesterday, I also thought you would have a choice like the Rachni Queen situation. However, it does make sense because the Krogans are bad news, they are still mad at the Turians for the genophage so if it was cured what would stop them from mass reproduction and conquering the galaxy.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Lies

Because the Krogan are an incredibly aggressive warrior species by nature, and would conquer the galaxy if they had the numbers- the whole reason for deploying the Genophage in the first place.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Bigandtasty

It's also possible that Saren had the "cure" conditioned such that any krogan produced using it would be for the purpose of creating a clone army. So the cure wouldn't be worth using because it would just create a bunch of krogan that are unable to think anyway.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Jedted

In ME2, when you help Mordin rescue the other salarian scientist, you find out he's working on a cure and you have the option to either destroy it or hang on to it. 
    DevinC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By DevinC

Mordin explains that the genophage was created to keep the Krogan numbers in check without causing their extinction. Without the genophage, the Krogan would repopulate extremely quickly and take over the galaxy, which is what led the Salarians and Turians to create the genophage in the first place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.