What's up with Rorie?

  • 168 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#1 Posted by Jackhole (390 posts) -

I just noticed the other day that Rorie's blog was still in my bookmarks. So I clicked on it, and was kind of disappointed to see he hadn't updated it in a while. Well, after about 2 minutes of internet sleuthing, I found out that Rorie has been writing for the last couple of months. I had no idea! It looks like he's reviewing games now. After all of those years of game guides and movie reviews, it looks like the two skills have now converged. He's freelancing on GamesRadar and Gamespot now.
 
Any chance he comes back on over to the Bomb? 
 
Hell Yeah! review 
Medal of Honor: Warfighter review 
Need for Speed Most Wanted review 
Lego Lord of the Rings review 
Assassin's Creed 3 game guide

#2 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Typically when you get shitcanned you don't end up with a job.

#3 Edited by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

Man I really wish he was part of the Giant Bomb crew.

#4 Posted by Blackout62 (1389 posts) -
#5 Posted by freakin9 (1171 posts) -

@Blackout62 said:

I can confirm that as of last week he is still Properly Petting Puppies.

Well that was more disturbing in text form than his more affable spoken form.

#6 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2041 posts) -

@freakin9 said:

@Blackout62 said:

I can confirm that as of last week he is still Properly Petting Puppies.

Well that was more disturbing in text form than his more affable spoken form.

Oh my -

That definitely does come off as super creepy written out like that!

#7 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Brother gotta eat

#8 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

@Blackout62 said:

I can confirm that as of last week he is still Properly Petting Puppies.

This is actually pretty funny. Rorie is such a fuckin' goofball.

#9 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Matt Rorie is adorable and seems like a super nice guy. I hope he lands someplace awesome.

#10 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

I don't understand why he is not working at giantbomb. Whether it was his decision or theirs.

#11 Posted by Grilledcheez (3956 posts) -

Well if they are ever in a position to expand, I would think he would be on the list of possibilities...I MISS THE GUY

#12 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

@TheKramer89 said:

@Blackout62 said:

I can confirm that as of last week he is still Properly Petting Puppies.

This is actually pretty funny. Rorie is such a fuckin' goofball.

That is fucking great. Followed.

#13 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Rorie + puppies = adorable.

#14 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

He did some sort of enormous guide to Guild Wars 2 for 1UP. I hope he gets a job other than freelancing soon. He's way too good of a writer to be playing the freelancing game.

#15 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

Rorie is a fantastic individual. I'm glad he's still doing stuff regarding games and puppies.

#16 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -
#17 Posted by Bucketdeth (8045 posts) -

Fuck, I wish Rorie was with Giantbomb, loved that guy.

#18 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

I feel bad for the guy. He really got fucked over in the Whiskey Media buyout.

#19 Posted by ominousbedroom (242 posts) -

I'm slow to the party and didn't even realize Rorie was gone. Why'd he get let go/leave? He's got such a great personality. Best of luck to him wherever he goes...

#20 Posted by ThePickle (4190 posts) -

@ominousbedroom said:

I'm slow to the party and didn't even realize Rorie was gone. Why'd he get let go/leave? He's got such a great personality. Best of luck to him wherever he goes...

He left/was fired from Screened after it was bought by BermanBraun.

#21 Posted by WilliamHenry (1206 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

I feel bad for the guy. He really got fucked over in the Whiskey Media buyout.

Yea, its a real shame. He seems to be one of the only ones to really get screwed.

#22 Posted by kishinfoulux (2473 posts) -

He's so liked among the community it'd be a great fit. I feel like it will happen eventually.

#23 Posted by Bucketdeth (8045 posts) -

Here I go being a dick again, but I don't know why he wasn't hired over Patrick in the beginning to cover news, blogs, and reviews. He is a great writer, and is loved by almost all of the community. I really don't hate Patrick, but I never felt he really 'fit' in.

#24 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Bucketdeth said:

Here I go being a dick again, but I don't know why he wasn't hired over Patrick in the beginning to cover news, blogs, and reviews. He is a great writer, and is loved by almost all of the community. I really don't hate Patrick, but I never felt he really 'fit' in.

Patricks started off rough but fits in well now.

But Rorie could replace Alex anytime. Alex is a dick and an awkward creep when he gets on camera.

#25 Posted by zoozilla (982 posts) -

@McGhee said:

@Bucketdeth said:

Here I go being a dick again, but I don't know why he wasn't hired over Patrick in the beginning to cover news, blogs, and reviews. He is a great writer, and is loved by almost all of the community. I really don't hate Patrick, but I never felt he really 'fit' in.

Patricks started off rough but fits in well now.

But Rorie could replace Alex anytime. Alex is a dick and an awkward creep when he gets on camera.

Take that back!

Alex's endless reservoir of snark is a good counterpoint to someone like Vinny's more happy-go-lucky vibe.

It's not super balanced because Alex can't do much video work, but I think his (written) voice provides a nice change of perspective from the other guys.

Plus, the Rorie-Navarro team was pretty great back in the ol' Screened days. It would be awesome if that partnership was re-forged in the anvils of Giant Bomb.

#26 Posted by Aetheldod (3682 posts) -

Yeah I miss Rorie a lot :( he should be hired by the duders and we know he fits the personality "thing" that GB is all about.

#27 Posted by development (2573 posts) -

Rorie's annoying as hell and ruins conversations. I feel bad for him, too, but feeling bad for him is not reason enough to want him aboard Giant Bomb. Hope he stays far away from the site.

#28 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@zoozilla said:

@McGhee said:

@Bucketdeth said:

Here I go being a dick again, but I don't know why he wasn't hired over Patrick in the beginning to cover news, blogs, and reviews. He is a great writer, and is loved by almost all of the community. I really don't hate Patrick, but I never felt he really 'fit' in.

Patricks started off rough but fits in well now.

But Rorie could replace Alex anytime. Alex is a dick and an awkward creep when he gets on camera.

Take that back!

Alex's endless reservoir of snark is a good counterpoint to someone like Vinny's more happy-go-lucky vibe.

It's not super balanced because Alex can't do much video work, but I think his (written) voice provides a nice change of perspective from the other guys.

Plus, the Rorie-Navarro team was pretty great back in the ol' Screened days. It would be awesome if that partnership was re-forged in the anvils of Giant Bomb.

I use to love the old Screened podcast. I was just using a little snark myself. heh

But seriously, I hate Alex in video form.

But Rorie? Oh how I miss Rorie's drunken time on the Friday show or the Screening Room.

#29 Posted by Toxin066 (3321 posts) -

I hope he's doing well.

#30 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

I never cared much about Rorie's writing. The rest, he's great! It would be awesome to have him back.

#31 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

the way rorie describes things is great

#32 Posted by Zaccheus (1801 posts) -

What a day it would be if the crew would announce the return of Rorie... A man can dream.

#33 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I kinda hope he doesn't join Giant Bomb. Nothing against the guy, but he wouldn't fit.

#34 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@FengShuiGod said:

Fire Patrick and hire Rorie. Or just get him after Brad leaves.

I'm curious. How many times out of ten do people fall for that?

#35 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

GODDAMN I miss Rorie. Fuck you, thread. Now I'm sad.

#36 Posted by ShaggE (6636 posts) -

"What's Up With Rorie?" would be a great recurring video feature. Just film him petting a new dog every week while he describes his breakfast in an oddly wistful tone.

#37 Posted by ToTheNines (788 posts) -

Always liked Rorie. Funny guy.

#38 Posted by MEATBALL (3406 posts) -

I really, really wish he had found a place with Giant Bomb and still hope that maybe one day he will. I can only assume he isn't with Giant Bomb for factors that fall outside Jeff and the crew's control because hiring him always seemed like a no-brainer.

#39 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2495 posts) -

I would gladly pay a greater subscription fee just to have Matt Rorie come into the office on a weekly basis to sing "Faith of the Heart".

GLADLY!

#40 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

@Azteck said:

I kinda hope he doesn't join Giant Bomb. Nothing against the guy, but he wouldn't fit.

Wasn't a problem for Patrick, now was it?

#41 Posted by Christoffer (1898 posts) -

I know it's pretty futile to throw out something like this, because we might never know. But what if Matt doesn't want to work under his (presumabley) pretty close friends and former collegues. Or Jeff and Ryan might see problems working with him. On a business level, Giant Bomb can't always be run like a big group hug.

I'm just speaking from my own perspective, since I would have (and did have) huge problems being bossed over by a friend.

But let's hope I'm wrong and that Rorie shows up here one day.

#42 Posted by WilliamHenry (1206 posts) -

@Christoffer said:

I know it's pretty futile to throw out something like this, because we might never know. But what if Matt doesn't want to work under his (presumabley) pretty close friends and former collegues. Or Jeff and Ryan might see problems working with him. On a business level, Giant Bomb can't always be run like a big group hug.

I'm just speaking from my own perspective, since I would have (and did have) huge problems being bossed over by a friend.

But let's hope I'm wrong and that Rorie shows up here one day.

Wasn't Jeff already his boss when they worked at Gamespot? They also worked alongside him for years at Whiskey, so if there was a problem, I'm sure it would have come up by now. Ryan sure didn't seem to have any problems with Rorie during the numerous Happy Hours.

Honestly though, who knows why he never made/was offered the jump to Giant Bomb. Could be plenty of reasons that we'll most likely never know.

#43 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Isn't he working for Gamesradar now?

#44 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@zoozilla: No. He's a try-hard and the snark is really chafing.

#45 Posted by thebatmobile (983 posts) -

@FengShuiGod said:

Fire Patrick and hire Rorie. Or just get him after Brad leaves.

Now we're talking.

#47 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Bucketdeth said:

Here I go being a dick again, but I don't know why he wasn't hired over Patrick in the beginning to cover news, blogs, and reviews. He is a great writer, and is loved by almost all of the community. I really don't hate Patrick, but I never felt he really 'fit' in.

Yeah same, Rorie would have been a way better fit. Patrick is annoying and comes off too pretentious at times.

Maybe now that Jeff is dead Rorie can join.

#48 Posted by Raven10 (1888 posts) -

@Ne0teric said:

Maybe if we (the internet) petition hard enough, he will get a job here on giant bomb whether he likes it or not!! >:D I miss that guy.

Cause that always works, right?

#49 Posted by kishinfoulux (2473 posts) -

@CaptStickybeard said:

@Azteck said:

I kinda hope he doesn't join Giant Bomb. Nothing against the guy, but he wouldn't fit.

Wasn't a problem for Patrick, now was it?

Someone would argue it still is. >_>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.