Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Matthew Rorie

Person » credited in 4 games

Once a GameSpot editor and then a Marketing and PR Producer at Obsidian Entertainment, Matt Rorie worked alongside Giant Bomb at Whiskey Media website Screened, and is now Product Manager for Giant Bomb. Matt's got faith of the heart; going where his heart will take him.

What's up with Rorie?

• 167 results
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By jozzy

It would be a bit awkward since Jeff and Rorie have a romantic history, which ended badly when Rorie walked in on Jeff in a compromised position playing Gal Gun. It's a shame too, they were such a great couple.

No Caption Provided
    breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By breenmachine

@jozzy: Well, this thread is over now, I think.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By TheHBK

A great guy, the casualty of this whole Whiskey buyout thing but didn't have to be, since he got betrayed by someone who he worked with and should have been his friend.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54  Edited By wrighteous86

Fuck, you guys will look for any chance to attack Patrick, huh?

Also, hiring a new employee is pretty prohibitively expensive, especially for a small operation. And don't mention CBS, because I bet one of the reasons that GB was such an alluring buy was BECAUSE it could be run relatively cheaply and had a small staff.

I'm sure that's the biggest reason for no Rorie.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@Blackout62 said:

I can confirm that as of last week he is still Properly Petting Puppies.

I thought I should bring this up again, just in case someone misses it. That was the easiest follow of my life.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By HellBrendy

@Breadfan said:

@FengShuiGod said:

Fire Patrick and hire Rorie. Or just get him after Brad leaves.

Yeah, it really sucks that Brad is leaving. He's going to be hard to replace.

WHAT!? Brad is leaving!?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By wrighteous86
    @HellBrendy

@Breadfan said:

@FengShuiGod said:

WHAT!? Brad is leaving!?

Stop.
    HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By HellBrendy

Stop with what, exactly? I never heard Brad was leaving. As for Rorie, liked him on Screened but never got any real feelings for him.

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By Jackhole
    @HellBrendy: Brad isn't leaving. It's a joke.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By Milkman

@Bucketdeth said:

Here I go being a dick again, but I don't know why he wasn't hired over Patrick in the beginning to cover news, blogs, and reviews. He is a great writer, and is loved by almost all of the community. I really don't hate Patrick, but I never felt he really 'fit' in.

Well for one, Rorie was still working at Screened when Patrick was hired. Second, Rorie isn't a news writer and that's what Patrick was hired to do. Write news.

I really miss Rorie and Screened. It's a goddamn shame what happened there. Obviously, I would love it if he was hired by Giant Bomb but I'm not going to assume that it's that simple.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Milkman: Screened was great. I hated how it seemed like they just got left out of the whole shuffle.

Also, with it gone, I now spend just way, way, way too much time on the AV Club.

deano546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By deano546

Hopefully next year we'll get more cameos from him on TNTs and stuff like that, has he only been on once since the split?

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By ki11tank

just total assumptions but I'd bet alex was pitty hired at GB and that didn't leave much for rorie or anybody else. alex doesn't do much of anything but some reviews and as far as i know is on GB staff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Rorie could take the empty space left by Brad after he quit.

OrbitalBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#65  Edited By OrbitalBliss

Yeah!! What is up with that incredible Rorie anyhow?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By RazielCuts

@Breadfan said:

@FengShuiGod said:

No Caption Provided
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#67  Edited By breadfan

@RazielCuts:

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Milkman said:

@Bucketdeth said:

Here I go being a dick again, but I don't know why he wasn't hired over Patrick in the beginning to cover news, blogs, and reviews. He is a great writer, and is loved by almost all of the community. I really don't hate Patrick, but I never felt he really 'fit' in.

Well for one, Rorie was still working at Screened when Patrick was hired. Second, Rorie isn't a news writer and that's what Patrick was hired to do. Write news.

I really miss Rorie and Screened. It's a goddamn shame what happened there. Obviously, I would love it if he was hired by Giant Bomb but I'm not going to assume that it's that simple.

For some reason I always associate Patrick with the move to the Gamespot offices, I forgot that he has been here for a good while now. My mistake.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By csl316

Rorie's great.  His ad for the live show was the best thing.

Again, if/when GB expands he has to be on the short list.  He's dedicated, knowledgeable, a good writer, good on camera, and seemed to get along with everyone.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Men, we need to bring that man back up in here. I mean, who will touch Ryan's hand without Rorie. I miss those awkwardly gay moments. Best of luck to him, whatever he may do. Also how's Screened doing nowadays? Haven't been there in a while...

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By RoyCampbell

Oh my god, he's having to write walkthroughs again? 

I'm so sorry.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TheHumanDove

Matt Rorie is a fucking king. It just isn't right how Whiskey pulled the rug from under him

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I'm hoping that Giant Bomb eventually books Rorie in "Loser Leaves Giant Bomb" cage match against Patrick Klepek. A slap fest that epic deserves its own pay-per-view.

Naturally, Klepek goes over when Alex Navarro does a surprise run in and distracts Rorie with puppies.
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BisonHero

@Sooty said:

@Bucketdeth said:

Yeah same, Rorie would have been a way better fit. Patrick is annoying and comes off too pretentious at times.

Maybe now that Jeff is dead Rorie can join.

Goddammit, Sooty, now I'm sitting here laughing like an idiot in the middle of the night.

I really hope "Jeff is dead" can become the new "Brad is leaving", just to freshen up the chat a little during livestreams.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By fattony12000

Ghost time travelling puppies Rorie's leaving.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Geralt

Giantbomb's Golden Duder 1st winner...now freelancing. How's that for an American life episode?

He's fine. Don't worry about it.

Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
    zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

During one of the Jar time videos (I think?) Jeff mentions wanting Rorie to come over, but he says his hatred of Macs would be a problem or something like that. Which doesn't make much sense, but I could be remembering the reason wrong. 

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By UncleDisco

What's important here, is to let know that we all here miss him, and we of course want him on this site as a staff member if possible. Though if it were, I'm sure it would already have happend.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By devilzrule27

@ki11tank said:

just total assumptions but I'd bet alex was pitty hired at GB and that didn't leave much for rorie or anybody else. alex doesn't do much of anything but some reviews and as far as i know is on GB staff.

By some you mean most of the reviews and a good bulk of news stories. Alex already was doing work for Giantbomb before the sale. Rorie outside of a WoW and Dark Souls QL never was a contributor to the site.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TheHumanDove

Rorie knows we miss him. Its not up to him, its CBiS now. With their whohass and dingledangles. It essentially means no

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BisonHero said:

@Sooty said:

@Bucketdeth said:

Yeah same, Rorie would have been a way better fit. Patrick is annoying and comes off too pretentious at times.

Maybe now that Jeff is dead Rorie can join.

Goddammit, Sooty, now I'm sitting here laughing like an idiot in the middle of the night.

I really hope "Jeff is dead" can become the new "Brad is leaving", just to freshen up the chat a little during livestreams.

It's too soon ;_;

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By freakin9

Jeff has been dead inside for a looooooong time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#83  Edited By Humanity

I liked Rorie because he seemed to have a very diverse taste in videogames which is always something welcome. I'm not some huge Dark Souls fanatic as some of the loons on this site but I wouldn't have minded a little more attention given to it. There are some games that either get completely looked over or given really half-hearted glimpses due to the team having zero interest in them.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DystopiaX

@Bucketdeth said:

@Milkman said:

@Bucketdeth said:

For some reason I always associate Patrick with the move to the Gamespot offices, I forgot that he has been here for a good while now. My mistake.

I still wish that he could have been hired somehow, I miss the Rorie/Ryan couch moments and the puppy scale.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By DystopiaX

@ki11tank said:

They hired him to have him on for NY press events and shit. He used to do a lot more too before he moved to NY

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Humanity

@DystopiaX: Lets be honest, most video game "news" is hardly anything revolutionary and could be basically written by any half competent writer. Most of the articles we get here are basic summaries of things that everyone already knows. Theres no deep investigative journalism happening here, and most of what Patrick writes is honestly a little too personal in tone. When Silent Hill had those awful HD collection then a proper article would be if Patrick managed to somehow get a guy from the dev team to off the record, annonymously say "yah we fucked that up but higher ups told us to just ship it there was nothing we could do." Instead all we ever see is just summaries, albeit adorned with some flowery word usage and awkward phrasing .

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#87  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Can someone explain the 'Jeff is dead' meme to me?

Dujun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Dujun

@mylifeforAiur said:

Can someone explain the 'Jeff is dead' meme to me?

Someone edited his wikipedia page to say that he was dead.

More precisely this

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#89  Edited By ki11tank

@DystopiaX said:

@ki11tank said:

They hired him to have him on for NY press events and shit. He used to do a lot more too before he moved to NY

that's kind of my point, what NY events, we barely see anything like that. he may write a lot as well but GB's numbers are all audio and video and he barely gets any of that, it's just an observation. I'm not saying alex or rorie is better or deserve anything. just that it's weird that alex with long term relationships with jeff and what not gets to stay on staff but contribute very little to the most popular aspects of this site, however much he may write. i suppose you need someone pumping text and reviews though.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By DystopiaX

@ki11tank: We have seen him cover events before but it's not like companies are having a lot of press events right now, all the major games are already out. The point isn't that he's being fully utilized in that capacity all the time, but that he potentially provides something useful to the crew in NY that you wouldn't get by simply hiring another writer on staff. Does their friendship have something to do with it? Probably-they've always been pretty open about working with people they like or whatnot, but that doesn't mean that their friendship is the only reason they keep him on board.

Plus, if they didn't have Alex they'd have to review all the really shitty games themselves.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#91  Edited By Undeadpool

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Blackout62 said:

I can confirm that as of last week he is still Properly Petting Puppies.

How is this a thing? LOL

Same way Old Space Yeller is!

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#92  Edited By thepantheon

Swap Patrick for Rorie.

What a glorious day that would be!

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By defe

If you check out the comments on his latest blog post about Far Cry 3, someone asks him if he's been in any talks to work at Giant Bomb since Jeff has hinted at looking for some new hires. His response: "I haven't heard anything about a position over there, but if they want me they can definitely have me!" So, yeah...Rorie seems to be in favor. Although a substantial part of me feels like they would have hired him by now if that was going to happen. Whatever happens, I wish Rorie the best of luck. Love that guy.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#94  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'll tell you one thing, if GB ever decides to hire Rorie they will get my eternal membership money as long as he's around.

As it stands the current content is slowly starting to loose it's charm for me.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Mcfart

Rorie>Patrick. Sorry Patrick.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#96  Edited By Dylabaloo

It makes me sad that there are new users coming to this site that do not know the greatness of Rorie.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By FengShuiGod

Rorie is like a cool Patrick.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By csl316
    @Humanity

@DystopiaX: Lets be honest, most video game "news" is hardly anything revolutionary and could be basically written by any half competent writer. Most of the articles we get here are basic summaries of things that everyone already knows. Theres no deep investigative journalism happening here, and most of what Patrick writes is honestly a little too personal in tone. When Silent Hill had those awful HD collection then a proper article would be if Patrick managed to somehow get a guy from the dev team to off the record, annonymously say "yah we fucked that up but higher ups told us to just ship it there was nothing we could do." Instead all we ever see is just summaries, albeit adorned with some flowery word usage and awkward phrasing .

So... you're looking for stuff like his Faces of Death stuff with the Telltale devs?

Or maybe his interview about $28?
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By wrighteous86

@ki11tank said:

@DystopiaX said:

@ki11tank said:

that's kind of my point, what NY events, we barely see anything like that. he may write a lot as well but GB's numbers are all audio and video and he barely gets any of that, it's just an observation. I'm not saying alex or rorie is better or deserve anything. just that it's weird that alex with long term relationships with jeff and what not gets to stay on staff but contribute very little to the most popular aspects of this site, however much he may write. i suppose you need someone pumping text and reviews though.

Their reviews consistently have the highest page views, so in that regard, you're absolutely wrong with the numbers you pulled out of your ass.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Humanity
    @csl316 I'm looking fir quality writing about meaningful topics, so no that's not what I'm looking for - of course a "quality article" is a highly subjective notion and we all have different standards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.