Okey guys. Is Max Payne 3 worth playing?

• 63 results
#1 Posted by xXHesekielXx (236 posts) -

Simple question. Is this game worth playing? I played Max Payne 2 when it was popular and I loved it so much. Is Max Payne 3 as good as it's precursor or is it overestimated?

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

Sure is! Go get it right now!

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

How would we know?

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6230 posts) -

I am from the future. Yes it is. Unless you don't like it, then no it's not. Yeah?

#5 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

it's not out yet man

#6 Posted by Pr1mus (3857 posts) -

I'm a wizard and... what AlexW00d said.

#7 Posted by uberpwner93 (413 posts) -

From what I've played, it may or may not be good, so I would suggest waiting until next Tuesday.

#8 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

its 5.23% better than 1 and 13.2% better than 2 and that's less than i estimated so yeah i guess it is over estimated... in a way

#9 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

I am from the future. Yes it is. Unless you don't like it, then no it's not. Yeah?

I'm from the future future and I agree.

#10 Posted by ReVamp (28 posts) -

I'm from the past and I agree.

#11 Posted by solidlife (877 posts) -

Does anyone know the length of the SP?

#12 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm from an alternate dimension in the future and I disagree.

#13 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

You'll come for the SP but you'll stay for the MP. I know because my cousin who works at rockstar told me so.

#14 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I'm from an alternate reality, Half-Life 3 released there instead of Max Payne 3.

#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

Yes it is. Unless you don't like it, then no it's not. Yeah?

A reasonable, detailed and in-depth answer just for you, OP!
#16 Posted by Redsox44 (482 posts) -

Make the decision for yourself?

#17 Posted by xXHesekielXx (236 posts) -

Okey this is the situation. A friend of mine started this topic just to screw with me... So i'm not stupid, but my friend apparently is.

#18 Edited by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -

@xXHesekielXx said:

Okey this is the situation. A friend of mine started this topic just to screw with me... So i'm not stupid, but my friend apparently is.

A "friend", huh? I guess you both spell "Okay" as "Okey"?

#19 Posted by 71Ranchero (2723 posts) -

@xXHesekielXx said:

Seems legit. I find that any time I post something stupid, it was actually a friend messing with me.

#20 Posted by solidlife (877 posts) -

@Anwar: thanks for the Info guess I will be getting this. aslong as it was over 8 hours thats fine by me.

#21 Posted by 71Ranchero (2723 posts) -

@SpartanAmbrose said:

@xXHesekielXx said:

#22 Posted by Heltom92 (707 posts) -

Hmm so was it a friend or just some lame cover up!? The plot thickens.

#23 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

This thread is taking an interesting turn.

Serious answer: after watching some livestreams, I'd have to say yes. Looks fucking great.

#24 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

How much do you like diving in slow-mo and shooting?

#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@SpartanAmbrose said:

@xXHesekielXx said:

That is some grade A detective work.

#26 Posted by wh1terav3n (657 posts) -

Oakee, remember that last time I said something dumb, and everyone called me out on it? Yeah, that was my "friend" and he took my body and forced me to type it. It was the devil I swear. I mean, wait, what?

#27 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

I'm from another timeline where dinosaurs still exist and the game has had a bad reception particularly because it's hard for them to use the controller with three fingers. And they don't really like film noirish stories.

#28 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

What do you do when you contract genital herpes?...I'm, uh, asking for a friend.

#29 Posted by Scroll (594 posts) -

Clearly the inner circle framed him.

#30 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

@billyhoush said:

What do you do when you contract genital herpes?...I'm, uh, asking for a friend.

Contract more of it to cancel it all out.

#31 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

I'm from the future of the future of the past and I say vote Robo Nixon.

#32 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

We must know, did you punish your okey friend for his idiocy?

#33 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

So guys, is a PS5 better than the current Xbox 720, or should I wait for the Phantom 2 to come out?

#34 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

I am a dinosaur and I see dead people. I encourage you to buy and play Max Payne 3 before it is out and provide me ideas on how to bring Max Payne 3 to Max Payne 4 of the past.

#35 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@nintendoeats

So guys, is a PS5 better than the current Xbox 720, or should I wait for the Phantom 2 to come out?

The phantom 2 launch titles are utter shit, I would personally go for the Xbox 720. (make sure it's the slim version, it's better.)
#36 Posted by Ghostiet (5242 posts) -
@murisan said:

@xXHesekielXx We must know, did you punish your okey friend for his idiocy?

That sounds like slang for masturbation. I'm in, tell us.

#37 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

It's in my LoveFilm list, looking forward to it.

#38 Posted by Lukeweizer (2639 posts) -

"I played Max Payne 2 when it was popular..." What does that even mean?

#39 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -

@xXHesekielXx:

It's not out yet so no one can say.

#40 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -

@aintnoscrub said:

@JasonR86: i've got it ;)

Sort of a dumb thing to announce that on a public forum isn't it?

#41 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

Best answer? Probably.

#42 Posted by Ashwyn (202 posts) -

@SpartanAmbrose said:

@xXHesekielXx said:

This is priceless.... I laughed quite hard. Well done sir!!

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Anwar said:

@solidlife: Dude who was streaming got through the first act in about 4,5 hours(according to him) there are 3 acts. So something around 12 hours is my guess. Obviously longer if you suck(one guy died over and over again during several parts, wasn't using BT, not shootdodging, not using painkillers, a total mess, he was playing it like it was Gears)

I was watching a live stream of it last night thanks to  @Fjordson and when the guy took serious damage he took cover and waited for the damage to decrease to no avail, it was GLORIOUS. 

@Scroll  said: 

Followed.  
That's right, anyone who makes clever Max Payne 1 or 2 reference gets instantly followed.
#44 Posted by Scroll (594 posts) -

Only remembering that kind of stuff after replaying the games this week.

Oh and Poor Vinny, that guy was just a big Captain Baseball Bat Boy fan.

#45 Posted by kingjulesxii (71 posts) -

Yes, yes and yes. I had the privilege of receiving a copy early. Just wrapped up the second act.

#46 Posted by Ghostiet (5242 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
@Anwar said:

@solidlife: Dude who was streaming got through the first act in about 4,5 hours(according to him) there are 3 acts. So something around 12 hours is my guess. Obviously longer if you suck(one guy died over and over again during several parts, wasn't using BT, not shootdodging, not using painkillers, a total mess, he was playing it like it was Gears)

I was watching a live stream of it last night thanks to  @Fjordson and when the guy took serious damage he took cover and waited for the damage to decrease to no avail, it was GLORIOUS. 

That's actually frigging funny. Turns out you shouldn't rely on the cover system like it was the dearest of all your friends.
#47 Posted by Grixxel (763 posts) -

I loved everything about it until the last hour of the game. Fucking ending.

#48 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Anwar said:

I was watching a live stream of it last night thanks to @Fjordson and when the guy took serious damage he took cover and waited for the damage to decrease to no avail, it was GLORIOUS.

@Scroll said:

Followed. That's right, anyone who makes clever Max Payne 1 or 2 reference gets instantly followed.

I don't really like the game technically rewarding you for failure, if you continue from a checkpoint after dying you get all your health back and and one full magazine of ammunition for your guns and I think it'll give you painkillers after repeated deaths. So there's no more "Oh shit, I just quick saved with almost no health, low ammo and no painkillers" moments. I guess in the case of MP1/MP2 that's technically "bad game design" and it's a good thing that it's not a problem. But I hope on the harder difficulties they don't restore your health/ammo/painkillers.

#49 Posted by Scroll (594 posts) -

It depends how the balance the game when that is concerned. It never took too many bullets to get killed on regular difficulty in the first 2 games so hopefully its still fairly challenging despite health being restored on checkpoints.

And yeah I hope health isn't restored on higher difficulties.

#50 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

Is Max Payne 3 still like Max Payne 1 and 2. 

Where you wait by an entrance to a doorway. Spot a person standing on there own. 

Engage bullet time hose them down, and then pop back in to cover.  

Rinse and repet?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.