Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

Why Metal Gear Solid 4 is nowhere near as good as you think

This topic is locked from further discussion.

worldjem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By worldjem

I'm not sure what you mean by "no native first person view."

With any weapon (or even no weapon at all) Hold L1 then hit Triangle. Now you're in first person view.

And there's a setting in the option menu called "Remember First Person View" Which means, if enabled, if you did the steps above, all you would need to do is hold L1 and you would be in first person view right away without having to constantly switch to first person view if that is your preferred view.

Snake is old because he is a genetically modified clone. Not because of nanomachines.
    Snake can still move like he does because the octocamo suit he wears acts as a muscle suit.

FOXDIE is transferred through the air. Unless you're talking about when Drebin injected Snake, then it was transferred through injection along WITH nanomachines, not because of them.

These are all mentioned in the story.

Also, what is "Westernized gameplay" and "Japanese Gameplay?"

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#252  Edited By OneManX

Nanomachines = The Force. 

Everything will make sense.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#253  Edited By N7
    @OneManX said:
    " Nanomachines = The Force.  Everything will make sense. "
    WHY WOULD YOU REVIVE THIS!?

I've never seen this before, and as someone who's actually played all of the other MGS games(And paid attention), my head is fucking exploding over how almost everything he pointed out is misinformed at best. Not everything, but at least 90%.

I really hope this is a troll thread in disguise... Because oh my god...
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#254  Edited By Gabriel

Still one of my favorite games of all time, Snake was like an older brother I never had when I was a kid I felt the game was a good send off to a series that was already wayyy to convoluted and a break from the trend of game storylines never ending and being milked to death. 

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#255  Edited By kingzetta

Yes but so are a lot of things. 
    Why replace good memories with bad, even if they are rightfully bad.

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By Theworldbreaker

I fail to see how the story is immature and childish. The rest is fien but those 2 words dont describe it, they don6t belong.
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#257  Edited By awesomeusername

Wow, an argument that actually has facts! 2 years old but still, something worth a read. I'll probably finish reading it tomorrow so I'll just bookmark it. I read until the hair part but some things you said before that are true. Compared to Uncharted, the graphics do look like shit. Wow, I liked it though. It wasn't all that bad, I just think it should've been made into a movie seeming the cutscenes were long as hell and when you got to the gameplay part, you'd play for 5 minutes and enter another 30 minute cutscene. Also, the load times, ugh.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess you can nitpick it as much as you want, and I'll admit all your complaints are true, but I think you can probably write an equally long list of complaints about any game.

MGS4 brought me back to the joy of what it was like to play videogames when I was a little kid, and it is quite possibly my favorite game of all time, I think it was the best possible conclusion to the series.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#259  Edited By FancySoapsMan

You complain about the stupidest shit.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By Turambar

This thread has been necroed 3 times now.  Can we just lay it to rest already.

kingcopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By kingcopper
    @Little_Socrates said:
    " I certainly don't trust Kojima anymore after Portable Ops and MGS4 "
    You really need to check out peace walker. Like, immediately.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#262  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Well, looking back at this eight month old piece, it isn't extremely well written (language-wise). I guess looking back on things you tend to pick out the faults in sentence structure more readily.

Nevertheless, all the points seem more valid than they did a year ago. It's heartening to see the popular tide seems to have turned well in the direction I argue for. No surprise, since the game isn't really all that special. Few bigger scandals, at least for me, than the fact that this game got all those perfect scores and even a game of the year award.

Perhaps I'll do some copy editing, clean this up, and re-release it with several new problems that I missed out in the original.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By fjordson

I do not agree. 

Thought I won't argue that the move away from stealth gameplay was a bit of a bummer.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#264  Edited By Vade

Having been following the let's play MGS4 by Chip & Ironicus, I'd say this game is as good or better than all the previous ones. Personally I'd rather watch it rather than play it, just like the older ones, but it's still great entertainment.

Fluxxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By Fluxxed

I remember reading this ages ago.
    It's still nitpicky bullshit.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By BBQBram

Way to waste energy on negativity, years after the fact, when people already know whether or not they like the game and why.

DaSmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By DaSmart1

Most of these are pretty insignificant things that don't really effect much at all, and another good third of them are strictly opinions. You did raise some good points, but most were either wrong, an opinion, or just insignificant.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By soldierg654342

After a quick skimming of the original post, it seems that almost everything you said was an opinion. An opinion that I happen to feel is in the broadest strokes, valid. But an opinion none-the-less.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#269  Edited By AngelN7

For lazy people like me the conclusion is : If you nickpick every game then every game is not as nowhere near as good as you think

Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#270  Edited By Hardgamer

Wow. What an argumentative article of yours.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By DonPixel
    @ZanzibarBreeze:   I dunno.. sounds more like you want to force yourself to hate it. You can pretty much do the same exercise with any major game out there and get the same conclussion if you up to.

good effort! perhaps you should use that energy into something productive!
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#272  Edited By Nasar7

I think many of your points are non-issues. The only thing that really stood out to me about MGS4 were the in-plane mission briefings. Those could've been handled better.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Finished it yesterday and I think it's pretty awesome.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By vdortizo

OP:

Yes, MGS4 is not the greatest game of all time, yes, it has many flaws, yes, it could have been incredibly better if some of the shortcomings you mentioned had been addressed before release; but your post reads most of the time like a rant than an opinion and therefore loses some (if not most) of its appeal to me. I suggest next time you do a post like this to please try to remove the emotional sentences, it takes a lot of seriousness out from the article.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By Jams
    @ZanzibarBreeze:

Writing what you did was most un-excellent. You get out what you put into a game. If people nit picked shit like you did then no one would be able to enjoy ANY games.

I fucking loved Deadly Premonition despite it's flaws that I in fact hate in any other situation (like tank controls, etc). The way you complained about load times and textures makes me imagine that you wouldn't like Super Mario Brothers because they reused clouds textures as bushes. WHO CARES if a fucking rock looks a little odd shaped? I loved Metal Gear solid 4 in the end because I was overall super happy with how my emotional investment turned out. Sure I hated some parts and dreaded playing them. Like the part where you had to walk around a town in disguise.

It's the same for me with movies. I can almost enjoy any movie I watch. Because I go into it thinking, "You know what? I'm going to just fucking enjoy myself and relax and watch this movie". Sure sometimes despite my good intentions I can't sit through some movies. Like this David Bowie movie called The Man Who fell to Earf. It was just a little too artsy and funky for my taste. I did enjoy some of it, but I got through an hour and a half of it before I got tired of how the film plays out.

What gives you the right to tell me I'm wrong in thinking MGS4 was a great game? And that you're right because you can sit through a couple fucking minutes of a loading screen (or whatever excuses you make up). In a way, you insult everyone who doesn't share your opinion. That is most heinous.
    mxdirector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By mxdirector
    @jams said:
    @ZanzibarBreeze: What gives you the right to tell me I'm wrong in thinking MGS4 was a great game?   

That's a  closed minded statement. People express opinions whether negative or positive to open people up to new ideas and ways of looking at things.  
    How many times have you heard people say "I've never thought about it like that". People's opinions can educate us, and dismissing opinions you disagree with  is extremely stubborn and closed minded of you. 

The person has made an argument for justifying his opinion, if you can prove him wrong on some things, that's great. If he has said some things you disagree with, that's great. But  if there's something there that you didn't think about before and you gained from his post, then that is also great. It works both ways, your opinions can engage with others and heighten their knowledge or interest in a subject.

I can't believe the amount of times I've had to explain opinions and their benefits to people on the internet.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Snapstacle: I actually hated MGS3. Great gameplay, Horribly dumb, dumb, dumb story. Dumber than MGS4.

MGS1 still is the best in the series.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By Jams

@mxdirector said:

@jams said:
    @ZanzibarBreeze: What gives you the right to tell me I'm wrong in thinking MGS4 was a great game?
    That's a closed minded statement. People express opinions whether negative or positive to open people up to new ideas and ways of looking at things. How many times have you heard people say "I've never thought about it like that". People's opinions can educate us, and dismissing opinions you disagree with is extremely stubborn and closed minded of you. The person has made an argument for justifying his opinion, if you can prove him wrong on some things, that's great. If he has said some things you disagree with, that's great. But if there's something there that you didn't think about before and you gained from his post, then that is also great. It works both ways, your opinions can engage with others and heighten their knowledge or interest in a subject. I can't believe the amount of times I've had to explain opinions and their benefits to people on the internet.

Are you telling me he is trying to "heighten my knowledge on the subject". By trying to convince me a game that I enjoyed wasn't actually any good and that even though things like load times didn't bother me, they actually didn't? What am I supposed to come out of this with? Me, "Oh I guess I really did have a bad time because some guy on the internet explained how long X feature of game is bad. My mind has been opened and I know see more clearly."

He isn't expressing his opinion. He's trying to force it down my throat. It's right in the title. "Why MGS4 isn't as good as you think" aka "You don't know what a good game is but I do, here's why".

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By Devil240Z

I disagree on every single point you made.

RichMeisterMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By RichMeisterMan
    @jams: I agree with you completely.

You can take any game and pick it apart to the point that you can call it a shitty game.   I mean, the OP complains about chaff grenades not being for sale in the store, and obviously this is because there's a whole level with nothing but robotic enemies, and had you been able to buy chaff grenades I am sure you would have just complained about how the level was a joke because you could just buy chaff grenades making the level laughably easy.  The OP obviously has some kind of chip on his shoulder.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @jams said:

He isn't expressing his opinion. He's trying to force it down my throat. It's right in the title. "Why MGS4 isn't as good as you think" aka "You don't know what a good game is but I do, here's why".

From the introduction to the piece, which you quite obviously spent the time to read:

• "But again, I do not think Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bad game. Anybody arguing that Metal Gear Solid 4 is a bad game is plainly incorrect. Simply put, it is consumed by its flaws and it is not as good as some have suggested."
    • "Finally, the following is purely opinion. I personally believe that it is all fact, that it is all gospel, and that I am entirely correct – this I believe in my own mind. . . . I do not want to destroy Metal Gear Solid 4 for you. The fact that I do not like it does not change the fact that you may like it, that it may be one of your favorite games. I am simply promoting one argument and opinion about the game. Most of it may happen to be factually true, but you may feel like you can forgive the flaws in the story, and the flaws in the gameplay. I am less forgiving."
    As @mxdirector: pointed out, if you disagree with me, I welcome a civil discussion about the points. But I don't think anybody in this thread has been able to refute the points I've put forth. That's not a statement about winning or that I was right; it's just an indication that I've compiled a good argument.

Furthermore, none of the points in that piece are 'nitpicky.' They would be 'nitpicky' if this were a game that took one year to develop -- say, the next game in the Call of Duty franchise -- a game that had a low budget. This game had a frighteningly large budget and took almost six years to develop and turned out less than stellar. Moreover, it was produced by a company that is supposed to be "one of the best in the industry." What Kojima Productions came up with here, considering those facts, I think is unacceptable. This is especially true when you consider developers like Naughty Dog, with the first Uncharted, that managed to make better games on a new console with much less time and money.

I don't have a particular grudge against the Metal Gear franchise, save for the fact that it's not all it's chalked up to be. As a person that appreciates good story, it does irk me to hear people suggest that Metal Gear should be in the pantheon of 'great' video game stories. That assertion is utterly false.

Nor do I have any grudge against Metal Gear Solid 4. I have a problem with the fact that it got perfect scores, and close to perfect scores, and glowing reviews, almost universally. It deserved none of those. Again, call it by any other name -- don't attach the 'Metal Gear' name to it -- and people would have ridiculed it. A game with passable controls and gameplay? A game that's 7 hours actual game and 15 hours cutscenes? Many have seemed to miss that the story and writing is terrible. As I noted in the introduction, this article is essentially a response to those who would claim that Metal Gear Solid 4 is perfect.

Finally, as I have noted elsewhere in this thread, the article's headline is misleading and not as I intended to characterize the piece. I regret choosing it, but, on the other hand, it led more people to take a look at the piece (though apparently not read a single word, as 75% of the subsequent comments would seem to indicate), so perhaps it worked in that regard. EDIT: I will note that a few months after originally publishing this, I tabulated the tone of all the responses, and the majority -- just over half -- supported my view of the game. But I do wonder how many took the time to read every word, and how many opted simply to read the headers and skip the rest.

A few posts ago, I stated that this piece deserves a re-write to clean up the grammar. It also needs updating -- not to change anything, but to add more points that have been brought up. Also, it requires a section on the story. I see now that such an update is absolutely necessary.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By Jams

Are you trying to tell me that you aren't nit picking? You tried to point out bad textures here, but I spent a good couple of minutes trying to even see what you are trying to point out...

@ZanzibarBreeze:

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @jams: That example of bad texture work is blatant. It was chosen to be representative of how poor the textures are in the game, along with the other pictures under that heading. It's not nitpicking. If saying 'textures are poor' is nitpicking, then near all possible criticisms one could have qualify as nitpicking.

Perhaps I was not being clear in that image you attached, which is my fault. Talking about one specific screen seems ridiculous, but in the interest of making sure I'm understood when I make my points, let me try again.
    No Caption Provided
    You can see the textures are clearly mismatched. A low resolution image has been slapped onto something of  a marginally higher resolution. It looks ugly. Indeed, the low res texture comes to a triangular point near the tree as if it's cutting in.

The point here -- which I made poorly, apparently -- is that this team was supposed to be a graphical powerhouse, was supposed to make this amazing game. Yet, Naughty Dog made Uncharted in about three years, released six months earlier than Guns of the Patriots, and their game looks at least one order of magnitude better than Kojima Productions' effort.

There are a number of further problems in the larger screenshot there, but there's little point mentioning them in any great detail: the higher resolution of the rock face on the right, the horrible resolution of the ground and the tree compared to it; the way the ground and the rock face don't mesh neatly, et cetera. You should expect -- and demand -- better, especially of a $60 game.

But to go on in such depth about a single screenshot is silly, as these instances are plentiful throughout the entire game. I believe the poor graphical work and bad textures are self-evident. They have been mentioned multiple times elsewhere, and I don't need to elaborate on them further, unless I am technically wrong on something to do with the textures, at which point I will evaluate/correct my position. But near everyone has noted the problems with the textures in the game.
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By copycatzen

@Fluxxed said:

I remember reading this ages ago. It's still nitpicky bullshit.
    ithmoliar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By ithmoliar

I think there maybe some slight nit picking on the graphics front, but I fucking hate MGS4 also, one of the worst experiences I have ever had playing a video game. I know I know weird, I suck etc but I really had a bad time playing it!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#286  Edited By Hailinel

@ZanzibarBreeze: The fact that you had to zoom in that much to even give an idea of what it is you're pointing out doesn't exactly speak well to your argument.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#287  Edited By huntad

I don't disagree with your view, because everyone takes the games differently. I do, however, disagree with how you presented it in the title. Why try and persuade everyone that an experience that they fondly remember is incorrect? Seems like a dumb way to try and get your opinion out there. Still, sorry you had such a bad experience.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By Kerned

Great summary. MGS4 is overrated garbage; I will never understand its appeal.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By kishinfoulux

Whether people agree or disagree with the opening it was incredibly well put together and organized. Kudos to that.

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#290  Edited By jasondesante

you do not have the qualifications to exercise free will. have you learnt nothing from mgs2

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By toowalrus

Wow, this is old.  

Anyway, I played MGS4 for the first time last year... I'm pretty sure it's great.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#292  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Hmm. I actually have to agree with a lot of the points you make, but I still fucking love Metal Gear Solid 4. In fact its probably for the same reasons I love Deadly Premonition, even though that's by all means a terrible game.

EDIT: Oh... didn't see how old this thread is. Ehh my point still stands.

Pogman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst in the series by far, in fact it ruins the series so much that I ignore it happened, just like the Star Wars prequels.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the amount of time and thought people put into trying to convince others something they enjoy isn't good.

Kiryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I didn't think MGS4 was that good. I always thought MGS1 and MGS3 were better than MGS2 and MGS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-587b6acd5d124
    deactivated-587b6acd5d124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You lost my attention when you tried to call out bad textures in a 7 year-old game.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Kill this thread. Take it out back, and end it‘s suffering.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My fav part is how the original post tries to say the game would have been better had it been on the 360 as well.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahaha, thanks I needed this. Fucking ludicrous.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#300  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Let me talk to you about Deadly Premonition, a game that lets you choose whether you want to shave or not!

wait a minute.. someone resurrected this from years ago? Kill it with fire!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.