Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

Here's the "CEO" of Moby Dick Studios

• 132 results
    Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Guys, guys! Oh man, I just had a thought that would be pretty god damn great.

What if Kojima came out on stage at GDC and was interviewed about The Phantom Pain by Gene Okerlund?

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

His ! face is pretty spot on from what an enemy in an MGS game should look like when he spots Snake.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

If this is a Kojima\Cliffy B joint I will be so onboard.

Also makes me laugh people think it's 3D, if that's the case the could fake the assassination of a president using computer graphics and noone would be able to tell.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#104  Edited By musubi

Being as I'm smack in the middle of going through all the Metal Gear Solid games right now this is exciting news.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There's no way that guy is Clifford.

The Video. I'd embed, but I can't paste HTML anymore.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Kojima is the one person with the clout and the balls to really get full-on crazy with this shit. I hope all this is true and more....I don't think Joakim looks much like Clifford though..

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ravenlight said:

Kojima has been an AI the whole time. Everything we remember about the Metal Gear series is being generated, in real time, by nuclear-equipped computers.

How do you know that the life you're living is not generated by quantum computers?

If I believed that the quantum state would break down and destroy all life. It's a conundrum.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I wish I liked metal gear solid, because this whole thing is fucking fantastic.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Who would make a mummy the CEO of their game company? Only Kojima.

Loading Video...

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#110  Edited By LaszloKovacs

I don't know what's going on here, but I know I like it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bishna said:

@truthtellah said:

heh. After finally getting a look at HD video of the interview, I can say with 99.99% certainty that it was not CG. There are certain details involving the eyes and the lighting which simply isn't possible yet. So, while I agree that the FOX Engine is very impressive(especially for single, unmoving shots), there is no way that the FOX Engine was involved in that interview.

Now, that doesn't mean there weren't some shenanigans in it. I think there's a good chance that Keighley never met him at all, and they just did the interview in cuts. But I suppose we'll see, as Internet sleuths will be hard at work in the coming days to see if there are any more hints in the video(I imagine there will be).

I'm curious what details you are referring to that wouldn't be possible. I am genuinely curious about this kind of stuff.

No problem. The big issue here is that we're watching a video, not just a screenshot. You could get a single CG image to look like he does, but current technology simply can't replicate video like that. I suppose they could spend years making this specific video, but that's unlikely. There are many things that just wouldn't be possible, but specifically, a few things stand out. First, the subtle shadowing on his neck as he moves his head around can't be replicated to that level of accuracy, and when he shows surprise at the end, you can actually see a change in the shadow just from his adam's apple gulping. Another detail that stood out is shining at the inner edge of his eyes at a random point where his eyes watered a bit more. That effect is very difficult to pull off convincingly, and for it to be a part of a video and not a screenshot is basically impossible at this point. Other little things like slight deformation of the gauze as he spoke, his mouth and neck as he spoke, especially when he said "Sorry, I can't say...", and the way his eyelids sometimes stick a bit to the skin around them just show that he is a real human being giving a rather absurd interview.

And this is mostly ignoring the cost that would be involved in even attempting to do a CG video that comes close to this. It just isn't feasible.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Aegon

Has Kojima ever done a 90 minute conference before?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#113  Edited By Yummylee

''Joakim's'' lips look a bit too puffy for it to be Cliff under the bandages I think. Besides potentially hiding a recognisable face under there, I wonder if this could also be tied to whoever was bandaged up in the actual Phantom Pain announcement trailer too. Be crazy if they could somehow unravel both the mystery developer and the character in unison.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115  Edited By BigBoss1911

Kojima is fucked.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

Some people even believe that this guy was CG rendered in the new Fox Engine XD

Joakim is 100% CGI in that interview. This is an elaborate tech demo for the Fox Engine.

- It explains why the two are never in the same frame together

- It explains the bandages

- It explains why the game being on the Fox Engine was the big reveal.

If you look at his cheek during the interview, the shading seems suspicious. And the closer you look at it, I have a hard time believing he is actually there.

this s a face rendered with this new Engine^^

No Caption Provided

also dont forget this^^

No Caption Provided

Tjis was rendered on a PS3 now imagine what they could do with a PS4 XD

YOU ARE SO FUCKING RIGHT! This is insane!

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is the best thing to ever happen to video game marketing. Whatever happens at GDC it's going to be insane.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has to be the dumbest shit I've seen being pulled off in a while. It's especially annoying to see the same people who thrash the entire games media sector being "hack journalists" go on and advertise MGS5 by continually bringing up this stupid marketing gimmick.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

This has to be the dumbest shit I've seen being pulled off in a while. It's especially annoying to see the same people who thrash the entire games media sector being "hack journalists" go on and advertise MGS5 by continually bringing up this stupid marketing gimmick.

It's sad that your creators did not program you with the ability to feel joy.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

None or less his is sooo fucking great and I can not wait till GDC.

Hahaha,holy shit...

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

My brain cannot process anything that is being discussed in this thread. I shall now leave this thread happy, but confused as to why.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia I do this weird thing where I enjoy playing the game itself and not the marketing campaign.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By artelinarose

@andorski said:

@artemesia I do this weird thing where I enjoy playing the game itself and not the marketing campaign.

I was being dumb, I knew where you were coming from. It's just so hard for me to not sit here and revel in how insane this whole thing is. It would have been so easy to just announce a new game, but there's so many layers to this it's incredible. I really hope it continues at and past GDC.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I think Joakim IS Cliff but I also think that the one in that interview on GTTV was in fact a CG version of Joakim. Geoff releases a picture of the dude out of frame where you can clearly see his torso THAT shot is real but the shot in the interview is CG. Notice the neckline you can't actually see his shirt. Its just a head.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

I can do both! Crazy, I know!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I read into it, the more I find myself wishing that everything this guy says is completely true.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

@andorski said:

Why in the world would you enjoy someone selling you something, particularly when they are doing so by not showcasing the product itself?

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By FilipHolm

@andorski said:

@cmblasko said:

@andorski said:

Why in the world would you enjoy someone selling you something, particularly when they are doing so by not showcasing the product itself?

Because at this point it isn't about the marketing itself. We're all going to buy the game anyway. In a way that is precisely what is so funny about it, that he goes through all this insane work to promote a game that is going to be huge no matter what he does. Plus, it's really stupid, in the best way possible.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#129  Edited By RenegadeSaint

@psylah said:

Joakim is Dracula backwards.

You win.

Also, come one people. It's not CG. You are supposed to be the lay-people most familiar with current graphical capabilities. Conspiracies are only fun if they have some truth in them, hence the CliffyB/Kojima craziness.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#130 gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think many people are really fooled into thinking this still isn't Metal Gear, but damn, I love what you're doing here Kojima.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That "interview" is not CG and the actor playing Joakim is not Mr. Bleszinski. That having been said, I bet this is the exact kind of outrageous conspiracy theorising that Kojima wants to see in response to this campaign. Bravo, this is so much better than a trailer and some posters.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I can't wait for the "Pre-Order from GameStop an exclusive lithograph of Blezinski's face in gauze. Power to the players."

It could happen, really.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.