Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Reviews

• 54 results
    bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I have all these feels, all of a sudden..

I think I'll wait til a full release comes out on XONE.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It's amazing how in the age of digital releases Europe still gets spanked regarding release dates. I just hope the (short) game won't be spoiled for me before Friday.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People reaaaally have a problem with the length and lack of story.

Whatever man! I'm gonna play the shit outta this!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By MEATBALL

tfw you have to wait another week because Ground Zeroes has been delayed in Aus/NZ because Konami is shit. Oh well, it's not like I'm not already buried in games to play.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hmmmm, just finished reading the Polygon review. And it's nothing more then "I can't understand the stealth in this game" which I hear often in almost any game from Dishonored to even stealth segements in CoD. He never really goes onto why he feels it's a cash grab or why it feels like a "Hardly worthy of the franchise moniker."

thanks for rounding up the reviews, I find them interesting hearing other opinions.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

I'll get around to playing this when it's in the bargain bin for $5.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By musubi

And that is the problem with everyone expectations of this. Its very much a game play first package.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By MEATBALL
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm genuinely psyched for Gone Home 2: Big Boss Boogaloo.

It may be short, but once it maybe goes down to $15 or so, I'm totally on board.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By artelinarose

@strife777 said:

And that is the problem with everyone expectations of this. Its very much a game play first package.

Seems like your enjoyment of this depends on how invested you are in Metal Gear Solid, and how much you enjoy the gameplay over story direction of Ground Zeroes.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

It's not on PC, so it's a -5/10, IMO.

In all seriousness, reviews look... polarizing. Yikes.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The user 0 bombing of this game on Metacritic is perhaps one of the worst recent examples of gamer entitlement I have seen in a while (haven't played the game myself, but am a fan of the MGS series).

There is SOME merit to the whole price/length thing, yes, especially in countries like Australia, where it's going to retail for 50 dollars, but the thing is that Kojima and co. have never made a single claim that the game is not a short prequel. People knew what they were paying for if they pre-ordered this, this whining is ridiculous.

Besides, this more of a new gameplay thing rather than story, from what I've heard.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The user 0 bombing of this game on Metacritic is perhaps one of the worst recent examples of gamer entitlement I have seen in a while (haven't played the game myself, but am a fan of the MGS series).

There is SOME merit to the whole price/length thing, yes, especially in countries like Australia, where it's going to retail for 50 dollars, but the thing is that Kojima and co. have never made a single claim that the game is not a short prequel. People know what they're paying for if they pre-ordered this, this whining is ridiculous.

It's fascinating the whole regional appeal. There's a devoted Metal Gear fan base in South America and the pricing there is pretty ridiculous a PS4 is priced at $1800 in Brazil.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Sooty

I really want to play this but given the length and no multiplayer, might as well wait a few weeks and pick it up at 25-50% off, I'm not really okay with spending full price for a prologue. (it's roughly the price of many PC games from legitimate cd-key websites)

Infamous shall do for now, I have to say though that the 'Tanker Demo' from MGS2 was pretty long; you could make that last well over an hour if you took your time, which sort of makes me further question the cost of this title, then again that is a pretty extreme example of a freaking killer demo...can't think of any demos that come close to the content of MGS2's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
    deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty bummed out hearing the news about the length. Even if it is relatively cheap, I still don't think it's priced appropriately. However, I suddenly remembered that Redbox exists. A 4 buck rental for about a day or two sounds just about right for this.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By indieslaw

I just rented it from Redbox. I feel good about this.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@adequatelyprepared said:

There is SOME merit to the whole price/length thing, yes, especially in countries like Australia, where it's going to retail for 50 dollars, but the thing is that Kojima and co. have never made a single claim that the game is not a short prequel. People know what they're paying for if they pre-ordered this, this whining is ridiculous.

It's fascinating the whole regional appeal. There's a devoted Metal Gear fan base in South America and the pricing there is pretty ridiculous a PS4 is priced at $1800 in Brazil.

I'm not trying to argue that the pricing doesn't suck. It really does, and I feel for Brazilian gamers. I live in Australia myself, and really want to get Ground Zeroes, but am probably going to hold off until Phantom Pain comes out (or just borrow from a friend or something), as it's almost guaranteed that there will be some kind of bundle deal. Just the mentality of lashing out at what is clearly a quality, albeit short, product, is what strikes me as a bit childish.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just rented it from Redbox. I feel good about this.

The audio from my xbox just broke. Konami must have read this.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It has already been corrected, but how do you make the mistake of publishing your review with the phrase "Solid Snake is back" in the first sentence? It's almost like Polygon was trying to make it clear up front that Metal Gear fans shouldn't bother reading past that point.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Pretty much. If they can't even get the character names straight I'm sure as hell not going to hive their critique of the content or mechanics any serious thought.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#22 jeanluc  Staff

I was pretty bummed out hearing the news about the length. Even if it is relatively cheap, I still don't think it's priced appropriately. However, I suddenly remembered that Redbox exists. A 4 buck rental for about a day or two sounds just about right for this.

That's a good idea, but according to their site they don't have the PS4 version, only PS3 :(

JeremyKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone playing the PS3 version? How's it hold up? I won't have a PS4 any time in the near future.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is SOME merit to the whole price/length thing, yes, especially in countries like Australia, where it's going to retail for 50 dollars, but the thing is that Kojima and co. have never made a single claim that the game is not a short prequel. People knew what they were paying for if they pre-ordered this, this whining is ridiculous.

Besides, this more of a new gameplay thing rather than story, from what I've heard.

I'm not going to defend 0 bombing but shut the front door with that entitlement bullcrap. You sound like Fox News.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regardless of the length, while unfortunate, I do bet it has a lot of replay value, and I really want it. I hope to get it today.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@spraynardtatum: Yeah, while I can't defend the people that bombard Metacritic, Amazon, etc. with negative reviews (most of whom didn't play the game in question and never had any intention of doing so), I can totally understand someone hitting the credit roll and being livid.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: It's a 30 minute sequence cut from a "100 hour long" game and sold for $30. Anyone could see from a mile away that it's a ploy to recoup costs for a game that's burning through millions.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

It has already been corrected, but how do you make the mistake of publishing your review with the phrase "Solid Snake is back" in the first sentence? It's almost like Polygon was trying to make it clear up front that Metal Gear fans shouldn't bother reading past that point.

They also made a pretty big deal about there being no soliton radar anymore, even though it's long been removed (at least in its most traditional form) ever since MGS3. Peace Walker brought it back, but it was a rather high level upgrade and didn't last very long.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

I'm not trying to argue that the pricing doesn't suck. It really does, and I feel for Brazilian gamers. I live in Australia myself, and really want to get Ground Zeroes, but am probably going to hold off until Phantom Pain comes out (or just borrow from a friend or something), as it's almost guaranteed that there will be some kind of bundle deal. Just the mentality of lashing out at what is clearly a quality, albeit short, product, is what strikes me as a bit childish.

nah, I wasn't trying to argue or compare. Just saying that Metal Gear has a a large devoted fan base even when the pricing is very high. It's appeal in other countries is fascinating. And yeah, I agree with you there's gonna be a bundle later down the road, and yeah I also agree with you the whole price debate is pretty childish.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dallas_raines: but that's not in the polygon review. A large portion is centered around graphics, small bit on how he doesn't enjoy the stealth, and then it ends abruptly. It's basically listing off things off a bullet point and never getting into actual criticism.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Russ Frushtick is a big reason I stopped listening to the Besties despite really enjoying the McElroy brothers. I'm not one to angrily hold grudges against certain reviewers because they have different tastes, but his constant negativity and his dickish dismissal of games made it impossible for me to take him seriously.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp. Time to Redbox it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: Indeed. Which has become my problem with Patrick as of late. I don't care that he has different tastes or sees things differently but man the way he presents his opinions sometimes is very snobbish.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: Indeed. Which has become my problem with Patrick as of late. I don't care that he has different tastes or sees things differently but man the way he presents his opinions sometimes is very snobbish.

That comment on the morning show was indeed pretty silly but I still love Tricky. He's never gotten near Frushstick on the dismissive jerk scale.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

*Obligatory joke referencing Polygon changing the score tomorrow here.*

Seriously though, I'm buying it ASAP.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#37  Edited By donutfever

That's a fairly wide range.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By thebunnyhunter

I cant afford another game this week but ill be picking it up soonish, Brad seemed to have really enjoyed it on the QL and with it being a Metal Gear game and all thats all i need.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent a long time thinking this was a full game. I guess that shows how much I payed attention to it, I'll wait for it to be cheaper or for Phantom pain. This reminds me of the Dead rising 2 thing capcom put out

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russ Frushtick is a big reason I stopped listening to the Besties despite really enjoying the McElroy brothers. I'm not one to angrily hold grudges against certain reviewers because they have different tastes, but his constant negativity and his dickish dismissal of games made it impossible for me to take him seriously.

Uh what? I think you're thinking of someone else.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre said:

Uh what? I think you're thinking of someone else.

Nah. I know exactly who I'm thinking of. For the year and a half I listened to the show, he was always the first one to dismiss games for no reason, and it eventually made me stop listening to the show entirely. Again, he's entitled to his opinions but the way he presents them about things he doesn't like or understand always rubbed me the wrong way.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider said:

I spent a long time thinking this was a full game. I guess that shows how much I payed attention to it, I'll wait for it to be cheaper or for Phantom pain. This reminds me of the Dead rising 2 thing capcom put out

You mean Case Zero? While it's the same concept, Case Zero was sold for only about $5/£6 or something, while also still roughly retaining the same production values as the full Dead Rising 2 game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#43  Edited By ArbitraryWater

While I am all for more Metal Gear, the rather... short length of this game seems like it could be one of those titles that ends up being $10 at Gamestop before the year is through.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to defend 0 bombing but shut the front door with that entitlement bullcrap. You sound like Fox News.

Yeah, you're right, using that word seems pretty cringe-worthy. Sorry.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Pretty much. If they can't even get the character names straight I'm sure as hell not going to hive their critique of the content or mechanics any serious thought.

You both know this is utter nonsense.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@chrissedoff: Sure, I was definitely making the point with tongue-in-cheek to a certain extent. I understand that editors make mistakes, and I'm not saying it totally invalidates the opinion. However, you would think a fairly simple detail like this wouldn't get through for the sake of maintaining credibility among the more hardcore elements of the franchise's fanbase.

I certainly don't expect the reviewer (or anyone for that matter) to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the Metal Gear fiction, but yo, get the main character's name correct.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#47  Edited By Hailinel

Hot Pepper Gaming review of Ground Zeroes. Also, Egoraptor versus a motherfucking ghost pepper:

Loading Video...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Yummylee

@hailinel said:

Hot Pepper Gaming review of Ground Zeroes. Also, Egoraptor versus a motherfucking ghost pepper:

Loading Video...

Ah, sweet, spicy schadenfreude.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremyko said:

Is anyone playing the PS3 version? How's it hold up? I won't have a PS4 any time in the near future.

I probably should not answer this, because I have only started ground 0's, but...it seemed decently okay on the PS3! The rocks and everything else I am seeing in front of the camp looks like well, rocks. Well defined, textured high-definition rocks. The character Big boss moved quite well while I practiced ground rolls with weapon out, and I fired off a few shots. Looks and feels good. Cannot mentally say it was inferior to the QL this morning, though I'm sure it is. I understand the PS4 version has a dynamic sky box. All I saw on the PS3 was rain coming from an obscure sky.

But the character model (Big Boss) looked as intended in game-play. I think the 20.00 spent is just fine. For me.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

All I have to go on is the Quick Look and I have a hard time justifying the price when Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon looks to have had just as much content but was half the price. I mean it looks fine to play and at $15 I could justify it. But not $30. I'm usually not that price sensitive but I suppose comparing this to Blood Dragon makes me more so. I would feel ripped off. Add that to the fact that I don't really care that much about MGS and I think I'll pass on this until it is either reduced in price or free with MGS 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.