Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

New co-op title announced at Gamescom - Metal Gear Survive

• 86 results
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Has anyone referenced 'jumping the shark' yet?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

this game seems like Konami wanted to make a zombie game but Resident Evil has way lower appeal than Metal Gear so they slapped the name on it. I can only hope there's an actual MGS game in the works that will be what people actually want. This game is also coming out relatively soon for a Metal Gear game so it would be reasonable to assume this is just a stop gap. If anything, the game looks like a DLC mode that you might get for $20 but now we get to pay $60 for the privilege to do the thing that has been done to death for the last 8 years, kill zombies. At best it's a tired idea, but also if this game isn't economically successful, I could see Konami being totally done with MGS. Which is a sad thing, although we have Death Stranding coming so I'm not overly worried.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@bigsocrates said:

@paulmako said:

This feels like a Resident Evil spin off,

I am potentially interested. If it's Left4Dead in the Fox Engine then that could be fun to screw around with alongside other Metal Gear fans. But I'm not expecting it to be good.

This is going to be Metal Gear Umbrella Corps.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. It's like someone at Konami thought: "Man look at Capcom and their Umbrella Corps, wonder how we can tap into that market?". Part of me also wants them to team-up and cross-over now. Evil Gear? Solid Evil? Resident Metal?

That actually sounds awesome! Chris and Leon team up with Snake and Otacon? That team would be unstoppable!

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@paulmako said:

A certain Dan Ryckert periscoped his live reaction to the trailer, you can view it here.

I laughed a lot.

*sigh*

(Ends stream)

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be real tragic if this sells more than MGS V regardless of public opinion.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather have nothing. I was content with nothing.

I was waiting to see what Konami would do with the next Metal Gear game, cautiously optimistic. This though...jesus christ. I'd be 100% more ok with it if it wasn't connected to the Metal Gear series in anyway, that way I could at least ignore it as just another generic multiplayer zombie survival game. But Konami can fuck off and die already, there's no reason to drag the Metal Gear franchise down with you. This is just gross.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By hassun

@shiro2809: There are definitely plenty of scenarios where nothing is much better than something. I will never understand people who would rather have anything than something downright terrible. That just screams blind fanboyism/obsession with an IP to me.

To me this looks like Konami is continuing to try and squeeze every last cent out of the Metal Gear IP they can. I can imagine the Konami boardroom where someone is just going "zombie survival games are hip with the kids these days right?".

I'm eagerly awaiting the next entry in the franchise: The Diamond Dogs Football team in PES.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#59 riostarwind  Moderator

Maybe I'm just reading a bit to much into it but this sounds like they are trying to make Monster Hunter Metal Gear Edition again. I didn't really like those elements before so the fact Konami decided to try again is a bummer. Yet it is better than nothing even if this isn't the kind of game most fans wanted.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally! A true chance to shun this series after they dropped Kojima. And a game that doesn't even make me feel bad about doing so as well.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I had last year to accept Phantom Pain as the last proper Metal Gear game, so I ain't even mad.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I dunno guys, I think this just wraps around from insulting and dumb all the way to funny. Konami couldn't be content with just making Metal Gear Pachinko machines, they had to turn it into every third early access game on Steam too.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bones8677 said:

That actually sounds awesome! Chris and Leon team up with Snake and Otacon? That team would be unstoppable!

The thought of every terrible line of voice acting from RE being repeated as a question by Snake, made me smile more than it should.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Political reasons to avoid this aside.. you guys remember how fun it was to fight those parasite zombie dudes in MGSV? Me neither.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I think I'll wait for the pachinko version. I like to consider myself part of the pachinko gaming master race.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kasaioni

But why did they have to call it Metal Gear. Okay, obviously it's name recognition. But seriously, this is exactly what I didn't want Konami to do. Keep making pachinko games, but leave Metal Gear games alone.

You can't just pretend that if you slap the Fox Engine and MGSV assets on anything, that i'll be fun to play. Sure, the controls and feel of the gameplay in MGSV is great, but so is the shooting in Destiny. The enjoyment of MGSV didn't just come down to pure mechanics alone.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#67  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Metal Gear games are going to continue being made for a while, unless this does completely shit. Best buckle up now.

TheTrekkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting some Tom Clancy vibes from the "gameplay" shown so far. Not interested in the slightest, still have to play MGSV anyways.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By Cybexx

I was initially expecting that maybe they were trying to make the other FOX Engine game that Kojima seemed to be planning where you would play as the real Big Boss but this makes sense as something they could put out faster. We need to see how they've tweaked the gameplay but this doesn't sound like a terrible concept just one that I don't have a lot of desire to play.

I mean I kinda got my fill of MGSV gameplay in the 80ish hours I played that game. It was great but since there was so much filler I've played as much of it as I want to play without them drastically shaking up that formula and I am not sure that some new survival elements thrown in will be enough to freshen that up. Though a new landmass will help, MSGV desperately needed another location.

I'm optimistic that there are still good developers at Konami that could pull through and make this a surprise hit but this is the first new Metal Gear game since Portable Ops Plus that isn't a guaranteed purchase for me.

JasonLeeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By JasonLeeson
    Loading Video...

The trailer made me so angry I re-did it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well, that arrow looked cool.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Mirado

I mean, I'm not going to shrug off any game in this engine that might feel/play like MGSV, because that game handled fantastically, but why the hell does this have to be a Metal Gear game?

Rising was dope but it had characters from the mainline series and it kept the same wacky story feeling; this just feels...boring? Over done? Generic? I've had my fill of co-op survival zombie games, and slapping Metal Gear on the front of that doesn't seem like it's going to liven up the core concept in any way.

Perhaps more than that, it feels like a herald of what's to come. This is Konami's first stab at a post-Kojima Metal Gear (even if it is a spinoff), and they couldn't have chose a more uninspired topic.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Well, at least the FOX engine will get some more use.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By ArtisanBreads

A lot of why MGSV was so fun mechanically was yes the controls, but also a lot to do with the AI. I think that was actually maybe the best mechanical part of the game that set it apart from others. Not necessarily that it was so advanced but it was so fun to play around with and watch work in the environment. Otherwise, a lot was cool tactical stuff too and all the raw stealth bits. Stuff you had to use when facing the AI in the game and in the tactical situations you were put in.

Not sure a zombie shooter has any of that in it. Yeah the basic shooting was good too but that wasn't the part of the gameplay that shined.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So, a survival game with dumb zombies to kill in 4 player co-op?

Not really what I was expecting... At least they aren't touching MGS canon.

TheRealDJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just feel bad for the developers making the game. There's basically no way they win out here. Either they make a game that fans of Metal Gear hate because its not by Hideo Kojima and is tarnishing the series, or its too different and therefore has no reason to have the Metal Gear name, or doesn't sell so Konami fires them all. And this is all before we find out whether its a good game or not.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#77 FinalDasa  Moderator

Looks neat. Especially for $30. I assume it's based off of MGSV online code, which would make development quicker/cheaper, and will play similarly. I wouldn't mind roaming around with friends, killing hoards of weird "zombies", with some high tech Metal Gear equipment.

However, I fear Konami's inevitable premium currency twist.

@imhungry said:

Came in here hoping to discover co-op Pachinko and now I'm thoroughly underwhelmed.

Shit. I want this now too.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after not playing it for months and at about 35 hours played i jumped back into a random mgsv mission amd it still plays and feels great! was surprised i didnt have to reaclimate myself to the controls at all. on the docket for games i actually want to finish.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really wish this didn't have the metal gear name attached. A zombie survival game with coop using the mgs 5 engine sounds pretty fun. Just don't see what having a few mgs refrences adds to this.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems disrespectful. Somewhere on the level of attaching strings to the corpse of a well-loved relative and dangling them about like a puppet to try make people think they're still alive.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disrespect? Pfffffffffft. Bring me Metal Gear Reset.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

A certain Dan Ryckert periscoped his live reaction to the trailer, you can view it here.

I laughed a lot.

"Remember: real reactions only!"

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

*Movie Trailer Guy Voice*

"In a world . . . where somebody pulled the level . . . and ushered in the apocalypse . . .

From the people who brought you such franchises as Metal Gear, and Silent Hill . . . and then turned them into those fucking pachinko machines . . .

Comes a game . . . with bland co-op . . . starring generic characters . . . fighting yet more zombies . . .

Metal Gear Survive. Pull this lever. Coming soon."

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

after not playing it for months and at about 35 hours played i jumped back into a random mgsv mission amd it still plays and feels great! was surprised i didnt have to reaclimate myself to the controls at all. on the docket for games i actually want to finish.

If you already know what the final ending is, I would say you don't have to finish it. If you don't, you should.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danishingact said:

Really wish this didn't have the metal gear name attached. A zombie survival game with coop using the mgs 5 engine sounds pretty fun. Just don't see what having a few mgs refrences adds to this.

It's the same reason Capcom has released lightgun games and multiplayer shooters under the Resident Evil name; it's easier to get people's attention with an IP they already know. If Konami just out of the blue launched a new zombie survival co-op game, they'd probably have an H1Z1 situation on their hand where nobody gives a shit because it's just generic zombie setting. "Publisher announces new zombie game" is a headline you see every month or so that gets almost no one's attention on Kotaku or wherever, but "Konami announces new Metal Gear game" is an infrequent event that gets way more people's attention, and will probably sell more copies just due to a certain number of people that have insane brand loyalty to Metal Gear. Though this kind of move gradually burns up that loyalty because this game seems like it has nothing to do with Metal Gear, really.

Short version: the Metal Gear name adds nothing to the game, but adds a lot to the business end of things.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

People defending this game have been saying "You wouldn't hate it if it wasn't a non-Kojima Metal Gear. It's not a bad game on its own." And they're right. If it wasn't non-Kojima Metal Gear, nobody would give a shit about it, nobody would be talking about it at all. I'd argue that's even worse.

randombullseye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like hot trash garbage,like they took the bad online game and slaped bad survival free to play unfinished steam garbage.No thanks!

giliad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this moment I'm very sceptical, it's hard to look at this as any more than a blantent and poorly executed cash grab. I'm open to elaboration on future developments but I can't concievably think of a way that this will feel like a true MG game nor will it ever live up to its predecessors.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.