Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

MGS1 and the Vita

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So, watching Metal Gear Scanlon Dan in Episodes 5&6 mentions that he is playing on the vita. My question is how? I don't see Metal Gear Solid on the Vita store. I have the digital version bought but its nowhere to be found on the store to download it on Vita.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@demoskinos: You can play all PS1 Classics on the Vita. You could always download it to your PS3 and transfer it to the Vita manually.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

I think if you download it on the PS3 and then transfer it to your Vita then it works. It just sucks if you don't have a PS3. This happened when I bought Gran Turismo PSP on the Vita store only to find it wasn't downloadable. I looked it up online, tried the PS3 thing and it worked perfectly.

Also make sure to have the installer transferred and not the installed game on the PS3 (the file where the bubble wraps around the logo).

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I was doing the same thing. It's on the ps3 store and not the Vita store for some reason, so you have to buy it on your PS3 and then transfer it to the Vita. Yes, it's really dumb.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RonGalaxy

You might be able to install it from ps3 to the vita, but I'm not sure. That's what a quick google search is telling me

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Oh......well thats fucking dumb. But thanks! I'll have to transfer it over then.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@demoskinos: another search is telling me to make sure to only download the executable to the ps3. Don't actually install it to the ps3 or it won't work

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By dkessler175

Is it possible to buy it on the website then look through the download history on the vita? I'm at work now and can't check but I could've sworn that's how I got the resident evils on my vita that I got free with plus before I had a vita

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dkessler175: It shows up, but it says you can't download it to the Vita.

On a related note, Dan also mentioned he switched the weapon/item controls from the rear touch screen to the front screen so he can just tap the icons. Anyone know how he did that?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@krataur: Apparently while you are running a PSone game just hold the front touch screen, it should bring up a menu with option to reassign the controls.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lego_my_eggo: I think they've changed that to holding PS button on recent firmware.

Avatar image for deactivated-61876872b43d2
    deactivated-61876872b43d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@krataur: @lego_my_eggo: Yep you hold down the PS button.

Honestly I could've sworn that I purchased on the Vita and then was able to download the game on both platforms. Maybe the Australian/EU store is different? I definitely didn't have to download on PS3 and then transfer to Vita.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jakelyne: Same. I'm also using the EU store and I was able to buy it and download it to my Vita.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Yeh i saw it today on the AUS/EU vita store under classics.

It wouldn't suprise me if it was somehow missing in the US store, sony have had weird inconsistencies between regions in regards to this stuff forever.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakelyne: @blacklagoon: Thanks! I don't know if I ever would have tried that.

And yeah, I'm talking about the US store. I guess we got shafted in that regard.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh......well thats fucking dumb. But thanks! I'll have to transfer it over then.

yeah thats pretty dumb it doesn't just show up as a compatible game.

Sony needs to make a strong stance on backwards/sideways compatibility vs not. I hope they introduce ps1/ps2 BC to the PS4 at somepoint.

Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, it's especially lame because if you don't have a PS3 you just can't do it. Here's hoping they do the licensing or work for some of this stuff soon.

I found it pretty tough to use the touch screen for L2/R2, actually. I assigned them to left and right on the right stick, respectively. This made it so that I could bring up the inventory and scroll through it without taking my hands off of the controls.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I know that I'm late to the party, but my solution has been to use Remote Play since I have the Essential Collection version of MGS1.

Interesting trick though. I should use it for Crash Team Racing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.