Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

Interview with the voice of Samus.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

Apathylad pointed me toward this a little while ago.  It's a recent interview with Jessica Martin, the actress that voiced Samus in Other M.  It might not win over many critics of the performance, but it's still interesting to watch:

I've maintained from the start that I had no issues with her performance, despite all of the shit slung on the internet at the idea of the voice somehow destroying her character.  It's not a very long interview, but some of the things she talks about (narration vs. action, comparisons between stage and voice acting) put some light on the game's voice acting process.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KingBroly

See, now I can definitely say it was the script.  She had no chance given the horrible lines she had.  People say she couldn't act with constant pausing yet...that's actually how she talks. 

The more I find out about this game and its' production process, the more confused I get.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " See, now I can definitely say it was the script.  She had no chance given the horrible lines she had.  People say she couldn't act with constant pausing yet...that's actually how she talks.  The more I find out about this game and its' production process, the more confused I get. "
    Is that crazy, sensationalist editorial still getting to you?

Seriously, I never had a problem with the acting.  There was a clear line of separation between the narration and actual dialogue.  She's just recounting the events as if they occurred in the past from a distance.  There's nothing weird about it.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KingBroly

No, it's not the editorial.  It's just that they put a year of work into the voice work and it makes me wonder if the direction and script had a problem with what we got.  Well, the script was ATROCIOUS, but I have to wonder if the direction could've been better if they took out the emotionless or distant part.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " No, it's not the editorial.  It's just that they put a year of work into the voice work and it makes me wonder if the direction and script had a problem with what we got.  Well, the script was ATROCIOUS, but I have to wonder if the direction could've been better if they took out the emotionless or distant part. "
    The translation from Japanese may have been too direct, but I never had a problem with the game's tone.  Seriously, there was no problem for me, aside from the fact that the story was more telling than it was showing, which has nothing to do with the presence of dialogue and more to do with what's done with it.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow

MOAR MOGODONS PLEASE YOU ARE READING YOUR AWESOME LINES TOO QUICKLY.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KingBroly
    @Hailinel said:
    " @KingBroly said:
    " No, it's not the editorial.  It's just that they put a year of work into the voice work and it makes me wonder if the direction and script had a problem with what we got.  Well, the script was ATROCIOUS, but I have to wonder if the direction could've been better if they took out the emotionless or distant part. "
    The translation from Japanese may have been too direct, but I never had a problem with the game's tone.  Seriously, there was no problem for me, aside from the fact that the story was more telling than it was showing, which has nothing to do with the presence of dialogue and more to do with what's done with it. "
    Some lines drive me absolutely crazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.