Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Garry's Mod did this first?

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BigChickenDinner

Back when Garry's mod came out as a mod for free, it was a great neat little server theme park. We even ran a zombie invasion survival game, created with Garry's mod. I made Airplanes, Roller Coasters, Cars, anything I could think of, even a cannon! When it went from free to pay I never played again. This seems like a from scratch attempt at this type of game play experience I once loved. Is it in any ways similar?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

They aren't similar at all.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @CL60 said:

That's not true.  They are both sandboxes.  Minecraft differs quite a lot beyond that similarity but they definitely are both sandboxes.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

@SeriouslyNow said:

@CL60 said:

That's not true. They are both sandboxes. Minecraft differs quite a lot beyond that similarity but they definitely are both sandboxes.

Just because they're both sandboxes doesn't mean they're similar at all. They are entirely different.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @CL60 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@CL60 said:

That's not true. They are both sandboxes. Minecraft differs quite a lot beyond that similarity but they definitely are both sandboxes.

Just because they're both sandboxes doesn't mean they're similar at all. They are entirely different.

They are both sandboxes where you can craft items, houses and vehicles which you can use.  They do have some similarity.  They are very different games, it's true, but they also share some commonality which stretches beyond being sandbox games.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@CL60 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@CL60 said:

Actually, the fact that they are both sandboxes means that they're similar on some level. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to make the damn comparison.

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By css_switchfoot

you need to be right so badly you replied twice to the same quote...pretty desperate

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Sitoxity

There's been more "game" to Minecraft for a while. Even when it didn't really have anything in it, you still had to survive and literally craft items, whereas in Garry's Mod it's just spawn what you want when you want it. Sure Minecraft has it's creative mode now, but it's still not the same. Minecraft creations tend to be competely stationary, and the complex ones tend to be fixed objects still. The fun in Garry's Mod's creativitiy is making really stupid mechanical moving objects. I went into a server and saw an AT-AT made out of storage crates. They were moving. That's nothing like anything in Minecraft.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

@Sitoxity: Creative mode isn't new, when Minecraft first came out there was only creative mode, survival mode which is now the main game mode of Minecraft is the new mode.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august

The scale and way you interact with the world is obviously much different between the two games.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subjugation

You build things with blocks in Minecraft. You don't animate things, mess with models, etc. I don't know how you can equate that to Garry's Mod. The sandbox argument is the most obtuse comparison. I'm not going to be one to deceive you and tell you that you can expect a similar experience. The best thing you can do is watch videos since they should be able to give a good idea of what to expect.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Three0neFive

@Subjugation said:

You build things with blocks in Minecraft. You don't animate things, mess with models, etc. I don't know how you can equate that to Garry's Mod. The sandbox argument is the most obtuse comparison. I'm not going to be one to deceive you and tell you that you can expect a similar experience. The best thing you can do is watch videos since they should be able to give a good idea of what to expect.

This. It's like the difference between Lego and papercraft.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Subjugation said:

Animating things and messing with models came later in terms of Garry's Mod.  They are both sandbox environments with very different focuses but they are indeed both sandbox environments.  The comparison is not obtuse at all.  

@Three0neFive: Now that's being obtuse. 
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By JoeyRavn
    TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

They are similar, yes, but it's like saying every human on the planet looks the same because they have a mouth, ears, eyes, a nose etc. (some may not, but hey, this is an example).

They are very different in their approaches to allowing the user to create whatever they want.

With Garry's mod (and Wiremod + E2) you could create any object in the world/known universe, if you had the skill of course. But with Minecraft, you can create whatever you want with the restrictions of your materials being blocks, but it doesn't require much skill really, or at least not much in comparison to a wired E2 mech in Gmod.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SonicBoyster

They are not similar in any practical way. There is nothing you'd do in minecraft that would make you go "Oh man this is just like when I did X-Y-Z in Garry's Mod." Half of the comparisons in here so far sound like well both games have an M in their names! They're totally the same on that level!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @SonicBoyster said:

They are not similar in any practical way. There is nothing you'd do in minecraft that would make you go "Oh man this is just like when I did X-Y-Z in Garry's Mod." Half of the comparisons in here so far sound like well both games have an M in their names! They're totally the same on that level!

You know that people have been making survival RPGs in Garry's Mod since v8 right?

• They are both sandbox games.
    •  The both allow and encourage crafting.
    •  The both have physics based damage models.
     Sure, they also have many differences but it's quite likely that some parts of Minecraft were inspired by some parts of Garry's Mod.
    SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SonicBoyster

So what you're saying is that if I went out of my way to find the right mods for Garry's mod I could find one that is similar to minecraft? Well in that case, if you're playing some mod of Garry's mod, and for some reason they require you to craft items and build inside of your environment to survive things happening, I guess the two games have plenty in common.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Jrad

@SonicBoyster said:

So what you're saying is that if I went out of my way to find the right mods for Garry's mod I could find one that is similar to minecraft? Well in that case, if you're playing some mod of Garry's mod, and for some reason they require you to craft items and build inside of your environment to survive things happening, I guess the two games have plenty in common.

There are a ton of gamemodes that are basically exactly this, if I recall correctly. I last played two years ago or so, but gamemodes like Survival were basically Minecraft (foraging resources with which to build bases with which to defend against other players/enemies); Garry's Mod certainly has more depth than Minecraft at any rate, due to the superior physics engine and sheer quantity of mods.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.