Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Microsoft Is Buying Minecraft

• 189 results
    S3V3N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Strange isn't it? You'd think having invented a game like Minecraft would seriously boast happiness and confidence, yet it feels like he's really only happy to get rid of it. I think in game development you cannot have too much idealism and get happy. It's a huge business and exploits people in every imaginable way. And the cute projects we see take incredible amounts of dedication and perseverance to get completed.

It's just a lot of stress and strain to produce an original game and in the end what do you get? A lot of complaints and 2,5 Billions. Doesn't seem so bad to me, but honestly, unimaginable amounts of money seem to be more of a letdown to an idealist than a triumph.

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

http://i.imgur.com/pGtT7WT.png

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

If it wasn't about the money, he'd have just given the rights away. Everyone has a price, everyone.

And apparently Dave Lang's is really low.

This is the point that everybody seems to be missing. It always rubs me the wrong way when people say its not about the money as they walk off into the sunset with billions of dollars.

That being said, Notch seems like a great guy. He's created a project that has helped ignite imaginations across the world. Good on him.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

if it was about his sanity he should have been working on minecraft. he should not have abandoned it.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hopefully we can stop talking about Notch now. Like, I don't have anything against the guy, but he's connected to one notable game, which he hasn't even been actively working on in years (since he gave project lead status to another guy in the studio). I just want to see Mojang actually make god damn video-games instead of adding more ponies and bananas to Minecraft.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#106 FinalDasa  Moderator

@voodoopc: I'm not excusing other behavior by pointing out the internet is pretty poor at times. My grander point was even someone like Notch feels somewhat harassed on the internet and wants to stay away from it all.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

one notable game

I think that may be a bit of an understatement.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Hopefully it comes to Steam. It sucks to see that happen to Notch (and the other two leaving the company) I just hope the game can continue to thrive and be properly supported on every platform. Even if I don't care about, Minecraft is one of the most important games of all times...I hope Notch's life and career can go where he wants it too.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#109  Edited By LackingSaint

@professoress said:

@lackingsaint said:

one notable game

I think that may be a bit of an understatement.

No, it's an objective fact. Yes, Minecraft was a cultural phenomenon, but it's still a game like any other. Plenty of games are just as successful as Minecraft, the only reason it stands out is because those other games almost almost always AAA titles. And while I pat Notch on the back for striking gold and adapting Infiniminer into something so successful, i'm just sick of hearing so much discussion about the guy on gaming sites when he's had almost no direct involvement with the game industry for years.

Based on the way he's spoken in the press release, I think he'd agree with me that he doesn't need to constantly be pushed into this spotlight.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Money is going to do anything but provide sanity. Especially that kind of money.

I hope he finds his peace. I feel like he may have just made it harder for himself to do that.

He just gave up :(

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Microsoft just bought virtual Legos. Get ready to start printing money.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#112  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@tarsier said:

if it was about his sanity he should have been working on minecraft. he should not have abandoned it.

The sanity part seems to have been about all the people sending him threats and shit when he didn't want to be their computer support.

Not the entire reason, but he clearly didn't feel like keeping on working on a massive project like this when most of the interaction with the gamer crowd can be so draining.

It's not the first time a developer has stepped down because of this, not even this year.

Endosutra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have been fine with them selling Minecraft... but to Microsoft? Jesus, one of the shittiest companies you could've handed it off to.

FFS Mojang.

I'd love to be optimistic and expect that this would help minecraft run smoother (as it runs like dog shit even on most good computers). I guess it runs as good as it looks though. However, I don't think that's what'll happen, I think microsoft is going to turn minecraft into a vehicle for advertising... think xbox live but worse. All those kids playing... an advertiser would be salivating at the chance to add new recipes for real products, etc. Adcraft I think will be an appropriate name.

nofzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By nofzac

CEO Nadella was running out of people to lay off...looks like he got a new crop.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If i made minecraft and someone offered me 2.5 billion dollars i'd sell it too. You could make a difference with that kind of money.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

he should have accepted valves offer. this is gross

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I made minecraft and someone offered me 2.5 billion dollars I wouldn't sell it.

It'd be tempting but I wouldn't do it.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for him, hell, id run away too for 2.5 billion and 0 stress.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for microsoft.
    But hearing : "It's not about the money, it's about my sanity" makes me think he might have underestimated what being worth 2.5 billion dollars actually means. For anybody, that much money for one person never leads to sanity, unfortunately. I would congratulate him but I think good luck is more appropriate. Good Luck!

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You could do a phenomenal amount of actual good with 2.5 million and still have money left over to buy an island. It's the kind of bank to a be serious publisher and distributor if he was so inclined.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psychonauts 2

Shit, I totally forgot about all that stuff. I've already got hopes something might happen now.

We need to keep tweeting at him to give Tim some money.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This certainly could wind up being a trainwreck as a Minecraft fan, but looking at what Mojang has done over the last several years (read: barely anything), here's to hoping that Microsoft can help get shit like the modding API up and running. Everyone makes the Rare jokes, and yeah, Rare is a fucking husk of it's former self, but that was all under the previous administration and it seems like the new brass is at least trying to right some of the wrongs.

So I'm hopeful. It's not like they can realistically do LESS than Mojang has, and even if they fuck everything up with some shitty update, the modders and PC community will just stick with the last good version and go from there.

Also I like Phil Spencer. He always seemed like a slimy business guy before, but it seems like he's figured out the right mix of being sincere while also acting like a professional rather than trying to masquerade as "just one of the guys".

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they are smart they will continue having equal support across all versions of the game. No priority given to any platform. That is what made Minecraft so good. Every possible version of it that came out had the exact same feature set.

I'm not hopeful.

jerkchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what the develop of Infiniminer is thinking right now?

MagikGimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, look we added minecarts. Two and a half billion dollars.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what? If this gets Notch out of the spotlight so he will stop saying stupid shit on Twitter, then I'm all for this. Others pointed this out, but the hypocrisy of him selling out to Microsoft when he condemned others for doing the SAME thing is pretty damn funny. But hey, 2.5 BILLION dollars would make me turn around on a lot of my values too.

warmonked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, at least he can completely fund Psychonauts 2 by himself now.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sanity is overrated. I want him to use his billions to dress up like a bat and beat up criminals every night. Isn't that what billionaires are supposed to do?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@s3v3n said:

Strange isn't it? You'd think having invented a game like Minecraft would seriously boast happiness and confidence, yet it feels like he's really only happy to get rid of it. I think in game development you cannot have too much idealism and get happy. It's a huge business and exploits people in every imaginable way. And the cute projects we see take incredible amounts of dedication and perseverance to get completed.

It's just a lot of stress and strain to produce an original game and in the end what do you get? A lot of complaints and 2,5 Billions. Doesn't seem so bad to me, but honestly, unimaginable amounts of money seem to be more of a letdown to an idealist than a triumph.

A lot of programmers (like Notch, Carmack, and others) just want to write good, clean code and produce something cool with it. Markus never expected Minecraft would become this enormous thing it is, and I'm sure (judging from his Tweets, blogs, and comments) that he has never wanted to have to handle the burden of fame, flying across the world, needing to engage with strangers on social media, and everything that came with its success. Being a celebrity is really enjoyable for a while, but every well-adjusted celebrity wants to be a regular old human being most of the time. With $2.5 billion, he can be a very, very regular old human being. If I ever make anything extremely successful, I'd offload it as soon as I knew I could.

MisterEyeballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who plays on Xbox, I'm glad to hear Minecraft may see some improvements on the console, more frequent updates, etc. I'm also VERY glad to hear that development will continue on the other platforms. While it wouldn't affect me, stopping development on other platforms would be really scummy.

I'm also sad to see Notch go. Too many people in this industry are leaving because of the way they're treated by the internet. Hopefully he doesn't regret the decision.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Typical Microsoft move. Why spend that money making original IP when you can just throw money at an already existing one?

I know this is supposed to be a dig at Microsoft or whatever, but really, who fucking cares? They aren't taking it away from competing platforms. It's something they are buying because they feel it will make them money. Acting like MS is awful for buying into something they think will make a nice profit for them is horseshit.

trelution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Everybody has a price

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#134  Edited By clush

That deal may very well be "worth 2.5 billion", but - first off - how much of that sum is taxed and ends up with the government? Secondly, how much of that sum is liquid i.e. what infrastructure/server/personnel crap is thrown into the mix that's also slapped a monetary value? Also, lawyers are goddamn expensive, especially the ones that oversee corporate buyouts/mergers, so how much does notch have left after all the legal fees, hmm?

more than he could ever spend in his life? say he ends up with 1 billion in the bank, invests very conservatively and nets a 1% growth yearly. that would mean the guy has to spend 27k a day just to prevent his fortune from growing.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Luck702

"...and I’m right there struggling with you." Struggling with hundreds of millions in his bank account. I don't mind that he accepted the money. Every one of us would have. But don't try to act like some sort of victim here when you do.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Luck702

But will it finally get mod API???

@ekami said:

@chiablo said:

Notch's statement here really rubs me the wrong way:

If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.

Why even bother making games if you're going to give up as soon as something becomes popular?

He creates because the act of creation is the reward. He's not looking for success or feedback, because with it comes the weight of expectation and a responsibility to another party. Creatives don't all want the same things, and I empathize where this dude is coming from.

If he was really making stuff to be creative, he wouldn't care if it got popular. Saying you'll abandon something as soon as people care about it is the epitome of being a pretentious hipster. I really hate using those overused terms, but that's honestly what he sounds like.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

Well, there goes another brilliant indie dev who plans to hide from his/her talent for the rest of their life.

Thanks, internet. You've been doing us all a real solid by making sure that people you think are dicks get torn to shreds. Your justice has won out. Way to fucking go.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As everyone has found out, including Notch himself, it is very difficult to say no on whatever grounds you want to say to say no to when the figure you're looking at is 2.5 billion dollars. As far as I'm concerned, he made the correct choice. With that sum of money, you could spend the rest of your life funding whatever the hell you want to and living the life you want. Some pretty great quotes in that pretentious blog post though.

"I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had" is an incredibly cringe-worthy statement to make (to me, at least). Makes Notch sound like the 16 year olds that claim they had their life changed after watching the Kony video.

"It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity."- lol,k, whatever Notch. If it was about your sanity, it meant that you would have walked away years before this deal. I just hope that the next time a similar buyout occurs Notch might think about holding his tongue before he tweets something dumb and elitist.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Notch took his millions (billions?) and ran. It's pretty hard to feel any sympathy for the guy

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has become a pet peeve of mine when people who make a TON of money with something in a relatively short period of time are quick to say "It's not about the money." ...Really? I bet Microsoft wishes they knew that when price was being discussed. That figure probably would have been significantly lower.

Also, not too long ago Notch was all, "fuck Microsoft, they're trying to destroy indie games!" Then they showed up with trucks full of money for a console Minecraft and now this.

I like Notch for how candid tends to be even despite his notoriety but man is he completely full of it sometimes.

I cautiously look forward to what this means for the future of Minecraft. Hopefully Microsoft knows not to mess with it too much. Ongoing development and [significantly more consistent and meaningful] updates are really all the game needs. Given how much that development may cost and how much money changed hands, though, I kind of expect to see something added to generate revenue. Paid mods/expansion packs? Time will tell.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#141  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

“To me what Minecraft represents is more than a hit game franchise,” he said. “It’s this open-world platform. If you think about it, it’s the one game parents want their kids to play.”

Nadella said he woke up this morning and his 10-year-old daughter asked him if he knew about Microsoft buying Mojang — a comment that drew laughs from the audience.

“If you talk about STEM education, the best way to introduce anyone to STEM or get their curiosity going on, it’s Minecraft,” he said. “So I think what this open-world phenomenon will mean to the community at large, for people who builders, is pretty big, and we are very excited about the acquisition, obviously.”

He added, “We are really excited about being stewards to the community that is Minecraft.”

Geekwire: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella on Minecraft: ‘It’s the one game parents want their kids to play’

No Caption Provided

I really hope they make a Minecraft 2 that looks as nice as this at some point.

RyenDeckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korolev: Very reasonable post. I dare any of you to go to the minecraft forums and immerse yourself fully in that culture. Now imagine being the person who accidentallycreated it, I would also want to run.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Ezekiel
    @spraynardtatum said:

If I made minecraft and someone offered me 2.5 billion dollars I wouldn't sell it.

I'd take the money without thinking twice and use at least 1 billion to make the game of my dreams. Then, when I got bored of it, maybe I'd make another 1 billion dollar game.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, there goes another brilliant indie dev who plans to hide from his/her talent for the rest of their life.

Thanks, internet. You've been doing us all a real solid by making sure that people you think are dicks get torn to shreds. Your justice has won out. Way to fucking go.

Oh, please. Notch is the one that made this decision (and it breaks my heart). It would be INSANELY unreasonable to offload something as pivotal and revolutionary as Minecraft because the internet is a tool that assholes are allowed to use. Also, it isn't the internet that is the problem. It's fame in general.

It's fucking aggravating that he wants to disappear, he shouldn't have sold his brilliant invention to anyone and taken pride of the wonderful miracle he created, but I accept that it's completely his prerogative to do so.

He sold out and took the easy money. If he wants to disappear for the rest of his life, whatever, it's a mistake, but it's up to him. 2.5 billion dollars is a lot to manage in itself. I wish him luck. This isn't the internets fault. That's crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a bad deal for Notch. I wonder how much of it he gets. Getting rich and being able to disappear sounds like the best thing ever. He made is mark on the industry and gets a nice fat paycheck to walk away. Good for him. I'm not going to say MS will ruin Minecraft or anything. Minecraft is it's own beast at this point.

Kosikutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Kosikutioner

@xeirus said:

@ztf said:

"Microsoft also expects its deal to pay off almost immediately. It anticipates the deal will break-even by the end of fiscal year 2015, which ends on June 30, 2015. That's not very far off."

That can't be purely from game sales, right? At this point, I have to imagine most of the money Minecraft is making is coming from merchandising. But what do I know.

If you ever go into Toys R Us, their Minecraft stuff is fucking insane expensive.

There's so much crap they make money off of.

According to this article on Polygon, citing Gamesbeat, 'break even' in this context means... not what most would assume. They are only only promising to break even with an alternate scenario where they left the money in the bank to gain interest. They are not planning or expecting to make 2.5 billion dollars.

edit: and here's the article

JDillinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kanerobot: Anyone who is invested in Microsoft video game platforms should care. MS has displayed time and time again that they are creatively bankrupt and would rather throw vast sums of money at everything but creating original content. But don't let that get in your way. Roll on little Microsoft warrior.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First, he doesn't get that $2.5 Billion. He owns 71% of the company.

I don't get how people say he sold out? He is already worth $150 million, he'll be worth about $1.5 Billion after this deal goes through. Being able to move on from something that you don't want to do is a good thing. Most people don't get that opportunity. There's nothing wrong with taking the money for your creation and moving on to do other things. Nowadays people seem to think that making money is "selling out". How long was he supposed to stick with Minecraft? He's supposed to be miserable just because he's rich? None of you that dislike your job would take $1B to be able to leave and do what you love? To be able to set up your family and your children's children with opportunities to do what they love? That opportunity is bigger than some people on the internet thinking you're a sell out for being successful.

Ekami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

I probably wouldn't go into business with you.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.