Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Notch vs. Yogscast - A Storm of Tweets

• 93 results
    Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Buscemi

So apparently there's some big hate between Notch and the Yogscast after Minecon. Notch repeatedly stated that he isn't going to work with them anymore and that they are "an isolated island of egos", on his Twitter account. He mentions the fact that they didn't want to sign a mousepad that Notch had already signed and wanted to cross over his name and write "Fuck you" instead. The thing is still pretty one-sided, with Notch being the only one to comment. Maybe after Simon gets better from that con-flu they'll muster up some of that polite British sarcasm with a response?

I don't know guys, my impression of the Yogscast is that they're a fine bunch of kids, Simon usually says some weird things during interviews, but never anything mean. At least during this signing there was no ego island, or what do you think?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SSully

I don't even know who Yogscast is. If what Notch says is true, which I am inclined to believe because he seems like a pretty swell guy, then it is pretty disappointing. There's always another side to the story though, so I wont pick any sides.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Giefcookie
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Sitoxity

I'm gonna wait for the Yogscast to respond themselves tomorrow, but from what I hear from people defending them (including TotalBiscuit, who has written up a lot of stuff about this) and these videos that keep getting posted, it doesn't seem as bad as Notch made out during his tweet rampage.

I'm really not taking side.s I wasn't there, I don't know exactly what happened or if what he's referring to is true, but it makes me sad that this is even a situation at all. Notch is handling this really immaturely and unprofessionally. Surely this is something that should have been discussed behind closed doors and not just blurted out to the public. It could have been solved in a calm manner that doesn't have fans on both sides doing horrible things. (such as fans waiting for them to arrive at airports just to insult...)

I sincerely hope that this all gets sorted out soon, especially if what they're saying about Yogscast subscribers is true (I heard that they were losing 100 subscribers every 15 seconds) which is just ridiculous for multiple reasons. That's their revenue, and if one incident has just destroyed their lively hood then this really is so out of proportion that nothing good can come out of it.

I'm a fan of both Notch and Yogscast, but this is just a horrible situation.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Buscemi

@SSully said:

I don't even know who Yogscast is. If what Notch says is true, which I am inclined to believe because he seems like a pretty swell guy, then it is pretty disappointing. There's always another side to the story though, so I wont pick any sides.

The Yogscast are a Youtube channel that play Minecraft (and other games as well).

Murray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Murray

I believe I read that Notch hadn't been sleeping like at all, when he wrote that + he's prolly pretty stressed out. So maybe he just overreacted? I mean, at least when I'm not feeling well I get cranky as shit. I really don't think that Yogscast are such big assholes as Notch wrote.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sooty

I still don't understand why the fuck you would want an autograph of some guys that make Minecraft let's plays.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sitoxity

@Murray: Overreacting could be right, but banning them from future MineCon events sounds like he was pretty damned serious about whatever happened.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Notch has not only Tweeted "I'm sorry about the ugly public airing of dirty laundry.", he's also retweeted a guy's tweet about how "YOGSCASTnotch what happend in vegas stays in vegas? minecraft is about love and friendship and they are about mistakes and forgivness".

This is just a tired outburst that quickly went out of hand. I seriously doubt there's anything long lasting that will come from this.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Buscemi

@Sitoxity: The thing is, I don't know these people, but I find it hard to believe that they outright asked to be given money for showing up to MineCon. I just don't see Lewis putting his foot down and saying "Give us this or else!".

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Sooty While I wouldn't get anything out of that I would think it's the equivalent of Jeff and Vinny signing a copy of Persona 4, something I'd be all for if I was able to get them to sign my copy.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McGhee

I can't take anyone serious that calls himself "Notch".

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sitoxity

@Titus: Probably not outright like that, but TB did make a very good point that they're completely entitled to getting paid to go, especially when they're celebrities and essentially some of the entertainment of the whole con. I'm sure it wasn't them demanding money as it's been portrayed, but I wouldn't be surprised if the question didn't arise at some point. It did come out of their own pocket, and it's a lot of money to go to the US for a weekend.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Buscemi

@Sitoxity: Do you have any form of link to anything TB has been saying? That'd be interesting to read.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sooty

@msavo said:

@Sooty While I wouldn't get anything out of that I would think it's the equivalent of Jeff and Vinny signing a copy of Persona 4, something I'd be all for if I was able to get them to sign my copy.

Nah not really, those two have been in the vidya game industry for ages appearing in tons of funny content and writing/creating other good content too. Yogscast really is just Minecraft and WoW videos.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Buscemi

@Sooty: But the only reason I would want their autographs is for Giantbomb stuff, and what has that been, three years? Three years isn't long, duder. Either way, that's not relevant to the thread. Was it your mousepad they refused to sign? Is that why you're so negative about the whole thing?

Murray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Murray

@Sitoxity: Yeah, true. I dunno. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sitoxity

@Titus: Here's the Reddit post he made. Pretty damned long, but good to see someone's opinion on it who actually knows them personally.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sooty

@Titus said:

@Sooty: But the only reason I would want their autographs is for Giantbomb stuff, and what has that been, three years? Three years isn't long, duder. Either way, that's not relevant to the thread. Was it your mousepad they refused to sign? Is that why you're so negative about the whole thing?

So in your individual case, you would only want it for Giant Bomb stuff. Great.

I'm not negative, I've enjoyed a lot of Yogscast videos. I just don't want an autograph from them and I don't get why people really would, it's just YouTube.

and for the record I wouldn't want an autograph from any of the Giant Bomb staff either, sure it'd be cool to appear in a picture but what would I do with an autograph?

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Buscemi

@Sooty: Before Giantbomb I didn't like Ryan's hair, so there's that. I don't know, I don't want any autographs either, for the record.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By samfo
    @Sooty: i still dont understand why there is a minecraft convention!
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

Or who wants to settle legal disputes via a Quake match

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By DeeGee

Notch always seems so socially awkward that I can see this just being him not understanding their jokes.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Very professional of Notch, there.

Best part of Minecraft is YoGscast's Shadow of Israphel videos, the actual game is horribly boring.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Deusx

@Sooty said:

@msavo said:

Nah not really, those two have been in the vidya game industry for ages appearing in tons of funny content and writing/creating other good content too. Yogscast really is just Minecraft and WoW videos.

Actually no, the Yogscast have a huge fan base and make collaborations on different projects with different famous youtubers and streamers like TotalBiscuit and the likes.

@Sitoxity said:

I'm gonna wait for the Yogscast to respond themselves tomorrow, but from what I hear from people defending them (including TotalBiscuit, who has written up a lot of stuff about this) and these videos that keep getting posted, it doesn't seem as bad as Notch made out during his tweet rampage.

I'm really not taking side.s I wasn't there, I don't know exactly what happened or if what he's referring to is true, but it makes me sad that this is even a situation at all. Notch is handling this really immaturely and unprofessionally. Surely this is something that should have been discussed behind closed doors and not just blurted out to the public. It could have been solved in a calm manner that doesn't have fans on both sides doing horrible things. (such as fans waiting for them to arrive at airports just to insult...)

I sincerely hope that this all gets sorted out soon, especially if what they're saying about Yogscast subscribers is true (I heard that they were losing 100 subscribers every 15 seconds) which is just ridiculous for multiple reasons. That's their revenue, and if one incident has just destroyed their lively hood then this really is so out of proportion that nothing good can come out of it.

I'm a fan of both Notch and Yogscast, but this is just a horrible situation.

Remember that TotalBiscuit is a long time friend of the Yogscast so we can't vow for what he says right now. We can't know what really happened until we hear from both sides of the story. We'll have to wait until tomorrow with the Yogscast opinion about this.

I'm on the same boat as you on this one though. I'm a fan of both sides and I don't want to see them fighting over this. I don't want to lose Minecraft or Shadow of Israphel!

@Three0neFive said:

autistic creator of autistic game fights with autistic fans no matter who loses, we all win by nature of having witnessed such a hilarious tardbattle also, the whole "yogscast made minecraft famous" is hilariously egotistical. if anyone is to thank for minecraft's popularity (or the fact that it even exists), it's /v/.

Nice comment making fun of autistic people. I'm a fan of the Yogscast and Minecraft and I'm not a retard. Also, /v/ didn't make Minecraft famous what are you talking about?! They where there at the launch and actually gave a boost to minecraft but have you seen the Yogscast fans? A lot of /v/ browsers are also Yogscast fans in the first place. I haven't seen such passionate people about a game in a long time. They have made the best adventure maps and the most awesome texture packs. Notch knows this.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sooty

@Deusx said:

@Sooty said:

@msavo said:

Actually no, the Yogscast have a huge fan base and make collaborations on different projects with different famous youtubers and streamers like TotalBiscuit and the likes.

I never said they didn't have a large fan base, I know about their cross over content with other YouTubers, I don't think that really changes anything about what I said.

It's still largely Minecraft content and at one stage, was WoW content. Sure they have branched out, but I'm still not going to understand why people would want their autograph. To me it's just another let's play YouTube channel, and like I said I have enjoyed some of their videos. I'm pretty bored of them now, though. If I'm gonna watch somebody else play a game it'll be as part of a tournament or if I'm just interested in seeing what a game is like. (quick looks, video reviews, yadayada)

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By SpacePenguin

I'll wait and see what the yogcast have to say. Its only fair that they are allowed to defend themself and not have people jump to conclusions before hand.

But I also think Notch went about this completetly the wrong way.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sitoxity

@Deusx: Completely understand what you mean, but I'm not taking TotalBiscuits words as the truth in anything other than how the Yogscast are as people. I'm just waiting for their final response, which seems to be from their Twitter feed, to be the right kind of response to a situation like this. That is, well thought out without anything effecting their minds (jet-lag, Simon's con-flu, etc.)

I do want to see what comes of this, but I'm hoping for a good outcome. I don't want bad-blood between any of them, though I doubt it would effect my viewing of Yogscast or playing of Minecraft if it does go south.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deusx

@Sooty said:

@Deusx said:

@Sooty said:

@msavo said:

I never said they didn't have a large fan base, I know about their cross over content with other YouTubers, I don't think that really changes anything about what I said.

It's still largely Minecraft content and at one stage, was WoW content. Sure they have branched out, but I'm still not going to understand why people would want their autograph. To me it's just another let's play YouTube channel, and like I said I have enjoyed some of their videos. I'm pretty bored of them now, though. If I'm gonna watch somebody else play a game it'll be as part of a tournament or if I'm just interested in seeing what a game is like. (quick looks, video reviews, yadayada)

Oh sorry then. In that case it's a matter of opinion I guess. I love their Shadow of Israphel series and I think it's pretty amazing what they have done with the story driven series. It's not just a let's play for me it's the most stupid fun adventure ever.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By time allen

yeah, internet handles, right? fucking ridiculous.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By benjaebe

Cool internet drama, guys.

Seriously shouldn't even be giving this any attention. I'm sure Notch regrets talking trash on Twitter, like most everyone who gets annoyed/emotional/tired/frustrated and vents on Twitter (Duke Nukem PR guy and Project Zomboid come to mind.)

I heard Mine-con sucked anyway. Which I don't think anyone would be terribly surprised to hear - Mojang doesn't exactly strike me as the kind of developer/publisher that can handle organizing an event like this.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Deusx said:

@Sooty said:

@Deusx said:

@Sooty said:

@msavo said:

Oh sorry then. In that case it's a matter of opinion I guess. I love their Shadow of Israphel series and I think it's pretty amazing what they have done with the story driven series. It's not just a let's play for me it's the most stupid fun adventure ever.

I wonder if lack of sleep and drinking (not to mention two different cultures in a U.S boiling pot) Caused this. From what Ive heard from lots of posts. The yogcast was happy to sign stuff for kids and all that. And Someone said in one of the interview with notch h was acting real real REAL strange. 
    alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By alternate

dumb names is all I know.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 49th

I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about this. I could not give two shits if Yogscast are assholes or not, I will keep watching their videos because they entertain me. Likewise I am not going to start hating Notch for disliking the Yogscast, he can do whatever he wants and I will keep playing his game.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fattony12000

SKYRIOM?

I liek vidoe games.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By Dagbiker

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Deusx said:

@Sooty said:

@Deusx said:

@Sooty said:

@msavo said:

I wonder if lack of sleep and drinking (not to mention two different cultures in a U.S boiling pot) Caused this. From what Ive heard from lots of posts. The yogcast was happy to sign stuff for kids and all that. And Someone said in one of the interview with notch h was acting real real REAL strange.

So your saying that Notch was replaced with a Doppelganger, or he had just killed a hooker.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By clstirens

@Sooty: Saying it's "just youtube" sells a lot of Youtube directors short. Now, I've never heard of Yogscast, but I can say being fans of the likes of Mike Diva, Freddie Wong, and Corridor Digital that a lot great talent comes out of youtube, and I'd be first in line to get each of their autographs.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By clstirens

@Three0neFive said:

if anyone is to thank for minecraft's popularity (or the fact that it even exists), it's /v/.

You're so god damn right it hurts, and I HATE the slimy troll fest that is /v/

That being said, you really need to choose better language in your post, bro. Like, that was some drastically offensive shit, and it misrepresents the GB community (even though we have our fair share of trolls and garbage).

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By EuanDewar

@benjaebe said:

Cool internet drama, guys.

Seriously shouldn't even be giving this any attention. I'm sure Notch regrets talking trash on Twitter, like most everyone who gets annoyed/emotional/tired/frustrated and vents on Twitter (Duke Nukem PR guy and Project Zomboid come to mind.)

I heard Mine-con sucked anyway. Which I don't think anyone would be terribly surprised to hear - Mojang doesn't exactly strike me as the kind of developer/publisher that can handle organizing an event like this.

It gave us this so I was pretty alright with it

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By matoya

Notch comes across as a massive cunt

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By benpicko

@Sooty said:

I still don't understand why the fuck you would want an autograph of some guys that make Minecraft let's plays.

The same reason you'd want to get an interview with somebody who's been in a movie. They're somewhat famous, and they entertain you.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Dagbiker said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Deusx said:
    I wonder if lack of sleep and drinking (not to mention two different cultures in a U.S boiling pot) Caused this. From what Ive heard from lots of posts. The yogcast was happy to sign stuff for kids and all that. And Someone said in one of the interview with notch h was acting real real REAL strange.

So your saying that Notch was replaced with a Doppelganger, or he had just killed a hooker.

He's probably talking about Notch joking about fucking Simon's mother. If you've just met someone, that's probably a bit too far.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Deusx

I didn't like their panel... It was weird and awkward. Minecon was kind of bizzare from what I've seen.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @GunslingerPanda said:

@Dagbiker said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Deusx said:

He's probably talking about Notch joking about fucking Simon's mother. If you've just met someone, that's probably a bit too far.

Wow..I didnt even know about that. From what Ive " seen" notch is the only real person crying foul. As for the panel they did..its apparent they have never really done something like that before. 
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ramone

@Fattony12000 said:

SKYRIOM?

I liek vidoe games.

Correct

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Scooper

@Sooty said:

Hahahahaha

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CptBedlam

I can't take any of this serious.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @benpicko said:

@Sooty said:

The same reason you'd want to get an interview with somebody who's been in a movie. They're somewhat famous, and entertain you.

Or someone who plays in MLG. 
    AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AngelN7

@Sooty said:

Let's play personalities? Ughhh! , I don't like Notch too so whatever ... whatever

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ravenlight

@Titus said:

I don't know guys, my impression of the Yogscast is that they're a fine bunch of kids, Simon usually says some weird things during interviews, but never anything mean. At least during this signing there was no ego island, or what do you think?

From my admittedly brief experience with Yogscast, I'd written them off as a bunch of whiny gradeschoolers with a mic. I've yet to find any podcast/youtube junk about Minecraft that doesn't cater to the crayons and paste crowd. Such is the nature of Minecraft, I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.