Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

So it happened.

JusticeCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JusticeCat

I work at an EB Games, which is your Australian Gamestop and just after closing shop today I was counting the tills and had a phone call from a customer, mother who simply wanted to know if we sold minecraft. So suddenly BANG I have the realisation of just how hugely massive this game has become. I can understand the internet popularity but to have it trickle down to a retail level that equals customers asking if we sell 'R4 Cards' just blew my mind. I was happy to point her in the right direction, explaining that it was an indi game created by a single guy and currently the only way to purchase it is directly from him at his website and she seemed very confused by this, her son was after a copy. Blew my mind.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By EnchantedEcho

I realized that this game was huge when I walked into my school library and saw that almost every screen in the room had Minecraft on it. It's a great game but never thought that it would catch on with the masses. 

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Synthballs

That's pretty awesome.

HeliumSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By HeliumSpoon

Minecraft is going to rule the world.
    Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @ForestWarrier said:
    " Minecraft is going to replace the real world. "
    Fixed.
    Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By White_Silhouette

This is where the matrix begins. Soon we will all become batteries plugged in to minecraft.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By august

You should have sold her a preorder.

JayPee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JayPee

Minecraft does have fantastic potential, it's true. As an average gamer I've reached the point where my enjoyment of the game has ebbed, which makes me wonder just how much this would be taken up by the masses; from my experience of the game thus far, I cannot see that, in it's current state, Minecraft is suitable for anyone but the hardcore super-smart people that currently are shouting its name from on-high and creatng the mind-boggling systems, sculptures and worlds I see in the videos.

But still, judging by this evidence, even if most people don't "get" it (if realeased as it stands now) it could sell like hot-cakes, and if that means more money for Notch & his company, I'm all for it! I can't help but get the feeling however, that a number of tweaks to the "survival" experience, and a significant step forward on the multiplayer infrastructure, could take the game into new realms of possibility and widen the potential market greatly.

JusticeCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JusticeCat

Game could very well be the next Sims if development goes in the correct direction. I suspect it won't, though. More than likely the project will die down and he'll move on to something else rather than it becoming successful in the retail market.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @BulletproofMonk said:
    " @ForestWarrier said:
    Fixed. "
    The origin of the Matrix has been found.  If we act quickly, we may not be able to stop the machine takeover, but we can at least ensure that society in the Matrix isn't controlled by a bunch of douches in black trenchcoats and $1000 sunglasses.
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By matthew

Isn't it technically still in Alpha?  What happens/what will change when it switches over to Beta, much less 'Gold,' or whatever the online equivalent is. 
    The only thing I'm cringing against, is when he actually makes these changes.  There is going to be endless bitching of 'ohman, this game was sooo much better before x happened.'  That is going to get annoying fast.

spekingur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By spekingur

Yeah. I would like to see and play the development stages of games like Fable and Mass Effect. If people would have access to those they would still moan about the end result not being as good as the game "at development stage XX" or something.  

In the end we will have more block types, more creatures (docile and hostile), more craftable items and hopefully more fun. As long as Notch allows people to enjoy the freedom of playing the game as they want to then I don't see a problem.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn
    @Hailinel said:
    " @BulletproofMonk said:
    " @ForestWarrier said:
    Fixed. "
    The origin of the Matrix has been found.  If we act quickly, we may not be able to stop the machine takeover, but we can at least ensure that society in the Matrix isn't controlled by a bunch of douches in black trenchcoats and $1000 sunglasses. "
    But I like black trenchcoats and sunglasses!

That reminds me, im almost done with my Minecraft AI program. I can't wait to start it up!
    Tairoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tairoku
    @BulletproofMonk said:
    " @ForestWarrier said:
    " Minecraft is real world. "
    Fixed. "
    Fixed
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By AuthenticM

Yeah, Minecraft is pretty great.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By captain_clayman
    @EnchantedEcho said:
    " I realized that this game was huge when I walked into my school library and saw that almost every screen in the room had Minecraft on it. It's a great game but never thought that it would catch on with the masses.  "
    that's epic. 

i should get in to minecraft, i think i'd like it.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @august said:
    " You should have sold her a preorder. "
    lol, would have been a good idea
    JusticeCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JusticeCat
    @FunkSausage:  The game brings back the childhood nostalgia of lego building blocks and exclaiming "IM GOING TO BUILD A CASTLE!" - Most people don't understand it until they play it, then they go "Oh."
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Hooray! Now multiplayer is going to be filled with 12 year olds burning down my wood house and placing random shit everywhere!!! :D :D :D

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By dbz1995
    @Tairoku said:
    " @BulletproofMonk said:
    " @ForestWarrier said:
    Fixed. "
    Fixed "
    HOLY SHIT
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JJOR64
    @dbz1995 said:
    " @Tairoku said:
    " @BulletproofMonk said:
    " @ForestWarrier said:
    Fixed. "
    Fixed "
    HOLY SHIT "
    I LIKE MUFFINS!!
    Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Hooray! Now multiplayer is going to be filled with 12 year olds burning down my wood house and placing random shit everywhere!!! :D :D :D "
    Then don't play in a public server.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My favourite thing about Minecraft is that the game is this ridiculously popular and it's still only in alpha-testing.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By LackingSaint

Couldn't have happened to a more fantastic game. As a singleplayer experience, Minecraft is in my opinion one of the best examples of emergent gameplay in all games.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By foggel
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @dbz1995 said:
    " @Tairoku said:
    " @BulletproofMonk said:
    " @ForestWarrier said:
    " Fixed. "
    Fixed. "
    Fixed. "
    Fixed. "
    Fixed. "
    Fixed.
    Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mrskidders

I just can't see it myself.  I tried playing it for a week or so and I can't get into it.  I normally love slow paced sims or games of that nature but it just doesnt get me.  I don't know if im doing something wrong.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikkaQ
    @JayPee said:

" Minecraft does have fantastic potential, it's true. As an average gamer I've reached the point where my enjoyment of the game has ebbed, which makes me wonder just how much this would be taken up by the masses; from my experience of the game thus far, I cannot see that, in it's current state, Minecraft is suitable for anyone but the hardcore super-smart people that currently are shouting its name from on-high and creatng the mind-boggling systems, sculptures and worlds I see in the videos. But still, judging by this evidence, even if most people don't "get" it (if realeased as it stands now) it could sell like hot-cakes, and if that means more money for Notch & his company, I'm all for it! I can't help but get the feeling however, that a number of tweaks to the "survival" experience, and a significant step forward on the multiplayer infrastructure, could take the game into new realms of possibility and widen the potential market greatly. "

I wouldn't say minecraft is for super-smart people, it's really just a matter of patience. Making super crazy and awesome sculptures takes time and ambition, not much smarts trust me. Redstone computers however... yeah those are for the comp-sci nerds. 

I consider Minecraft a pretty terrible survival game, and dunno why people both with that crap. It's just not fun. But in terms of building and mining, it's freaking genius. He needs to spin off a create mode, because that's really the only reason the game's gained as much popularity as it has. People just wanna make big-ass things. The tested server stands as my proof. 
    ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ViciousReiven

I actually really wish it worked more on the survival aspect, I want enemies that get progressively more dangerous. 
    Example: wooden house + enemy that can break through wood, then you upgrade the house to prevent that by making it brick.... then they learn how pick-axes work...

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman

I realized it was huge when my dad was asking about it.  O_o

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.