Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

What's a biome?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jams

In that update in the many more section, there is something called a biome and I was wondering what the hell that was?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

A biome is a specific area in the game where the landscape and general area is different to the normal. At the moment, you play a mountainous biome. Lots of hills, grass, and beaches. A desert Biome would be a much more sand focused area, whereas an urban biome would be all stone and city. It's basically aesthetics, but it usually has a relevant fold back into the gameplay.

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Psych0Penguin

Go biome yourself!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Like a real biome, it's a set of climatic conditions, and different plant and animal life, like tundra, or wetlands, or a reef.  

In minecraft this means different weather, and different styles of environment.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jams

BADASS!

It's the first time I've been excited for all hallows eve in a long time (since that sacrifice I did in 1812 to extend my life). Can't wait!
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster
    @jams said:
    "

BADASS!

It's the first time I've been excited for all hallows eve in a long time (since that sacrifice I did in 1812 to extend my life). Can't wait! "
    I'm excited as well! 
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jams
    @Fallen189 said:
    " A biome is a specific area in the game where the landscape and general area is different to the normal. At the moment, you play a mountainous biome. Lots of hills, grass, and beaches. A desert Biome would be a much more sand focused area, whereas an urban biome would be all stone and city. It's basically aesthetics, but it usually has a relevant fold back into the gameplay. "
    do you know if it's going to change in world? As you travel it goes from mountains to desert? or will it be only 1 biome per world? as in all desert or all mountains etc.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Fallen189
    @jams said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " A biome is a specific area in the game where the landscape and general area is different to the normal. At the moment, you play a mountainous biome. Lots of hills, grass, and beaches. A desert Biome would be a much more sand focused area, whereas an urban biome would be all stone and city. It's basically aesthetics, but it usually has a relevant fold back into the gameplay. "
    do you know if it's going to change in world? As you travel it goes from mountains to desert? or will it be only 1 biome per world? as in all desert or all mountains etc. "
    As I can assume currently, I think it'll be like the game as it is now, except it will transition. A world is a world. A biome exists WITHIN that world. You sound like you mean "Will the entire world generated be desert"- which it won't. What I presume it means is you will get your  normal world, but within that, these new areas will exist, and become generated like any other part of the game is.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Demyx
    @jams said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    do you know if it's going to change in world? As you travel it goes from mountains to desert? or will it be only 1 biome per world? as in all desert or all mountains etc. "
    it should change as you travel. So if you start in a dessert, if you walked further you might encounter mountains or even snow.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jams
    @Demyx said:
    " @jams said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    it should change as you travel. So if you start in a dessert, if you walked further you might encounter mountains or even snow. "
    That's what I'm hoping for, but wasn't sure of how it was going to be implemented. Like how there is a chance you can get a snow world, but you can have both snow and mountains. Speaking of snow, is there going to be weather too?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

Multiple biomes per map. Right now when you create a new map, there's a possibility that you can get a winter level. We already have that. That's more of a proof of concept for biomes. Once the Halloween update arrives, you could have snow on only part of the map. It's something Notch has been trying to do for a while, but it has proven difficult.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By meteora

I'm pretty stoked about biomes. Having deserts in particular would help, because there would be more sand that can be dug up and crafted into glass.

Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sedasys
    @Axxol said:
    " @jams said:
    "

BADASS!

It's the first time I've been excited for all hallows eve in a long time (since that sacrifice I did in 1812 to extend my life). Can't wait! "
    I'm excited as well!  "
    I'm torn between going trick-or-treating or playing minecraft!
    Well actually it's not a difficult decision, it's stay in and play minecraft and sleep because I need to go to college in the morning or go out and eventually end up getting drunk and go to college hungover.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Sedasys said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " @jams said:
    "

BADASS!

I'm excited as well!  "
    I'm torn between going trick-or-treating or playing minecraft! Well actually it's not a difficult decision, it's stay in and play minecraft and sleep because I need to go to college in the morning or go out and eventually end up getting drunk and go to college hungover. "
    Just play during the day and trick or treat at night.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Fallen189 said:
    Im stuck in the snow.. 

Also I would love the ability to switch spawn point. Or spawn at home. 
    Sedasys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sedasys
    @Axxol said:
    " @Sedasys said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " @jams said:
    "

BADASS!

I'm excited as well!  "
    I'm torn between going trick-or-treating or playing minecraft! Well actually it's not a difficult decision, it's stay in and play minecraft and sleep because I need to go to college in the morning or go out and eventually end up getting drunk and go to college hungover. "
    Just play during the day and trick or treat at night. "
    You're a fucking genius.
    Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Mitch0712

I hope it becomes like Animal Crossing and the weather changes in accordance with the season you are playing.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Jayross

A biome is determined by certain environmental factors, mainly temperature and amount of precipitation. 

Rainforests, Coral reefs, deserts, grassland, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.