Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

In a futuristic totalitarian dystopia, a master courier (in a group of renegade "runners") investigates a conspiracy, while outrunning the deadly government military, in this parkour-inspired first-person action game.

Mirror's Edge and the Demo that Pushed Me to Preorder

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

Edited By Pepsiman

Anybody who's talked to me at length about games has probably come to notice that I'm a rather skeptical critic. I'm not unfairly harsh on a game until it warrants such chastising, but I've been burned often enough by games I was excited for up until their release that I know to tread with caution. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, for example, didn't do much for me at all, a viewpoint which still manages to draw controversy to this day if I'm not careful about bringing it up. It's thusly come to pass that a game more often than not has to prove itself before it gets my wholehearted accolades and not "this game is good" and proceed to tack on noticeable reservations I have about it. These days, maybe one to three games which come out at any given year get such treatment. After twelve years of playing this stuff, you just learn to rely on your instinct and experience to tell you what works and what doesn't.

And then came along Mirror's Edge.

I had always been interested in Mirror's Edge from a conceptual standpoint ever since the first public trailer of it came out, but I had my doubts about how well DICE could actually do justice to the vision which the game was trying to portray. After all, this is an FPS studio working on a game which essentially takes out the last letter of the acronym as a main element of the game. A lot of things change with such a removal in emphasis. So in the back of my mind, I thought to myself that if it turned out that DICE didn't manage to completely butcher the ideas driving Mirror's Edge upon its release, I would probably buy it eventually. After all, even if the game is being created by a mainstream studio, the concept is hardly that and my love of oddball games in general would naturally drive it to buy it.

And then the 360 demo came out today and made me want the game to be in my hands sooner rather than later.

It's very rare for a demo to convince to actually go out and buy a game. In fact, the last one to do that was the original Splinter Cell installment, and the GameCube installment at that. (Hey, at least they didn't completely use the GBA lazily.) A game has to be really special in its demo's execution if that portion alone compels me to purchase the full version of the game, yet the one for Mirror's Edges does just that. All of the package's elements felt really cohesive and complimented each other in ways I've seen very few games manage. From what can be best described as a true union between visuals and gameplay to the natural-feeling controls to even the opening of the first level after training, the demo alone led me to put some faith (unintentional pun, I swear!) in DICE and believe that it does, in fact, know what its doing. Considering that this is someone who had never played any other games from the developer's catalog, that's quite a feat.

But the thing which stood out the most for me, the one thing that will probably make the full game iconic in my book, is the game's mentality towards guns.

One of the basic rules of thumb in most first-person games (and imaginably DICE's past works included) is that it's wise to have a reserve of weapons because you'll very likely stumble into a situation where they're your only option out. Mirror's Edge, however, is deliberately designed in such a manner where you firearms aren't actually your best friend. In fact, at least in my case, you actually feel guilty for firing off anything you might pick up from disarmed foes. I became so accustomed to using parkour as my means of survival that to actually take the time to use a pistol and point it at someone's head just didn't feel natural. Not natural in the sense that any of the mechanics for that stuff are broken, but in the sense that you know Faith wasn't brought up to be combative in that way. It feels fine in other games such as Halo and Goldeneye where you know is character is bred to use guns as an extension of their own bodily powers, but in Mirror's Edge, Faith's objective isn't "to shoot shit up." She's meant to do her thing with the help of running and momentum and diverging from that just feels wrong in a way I don't think any other game has ever really conveyed. The Y-Button on the 360 version, which is what you use to discard weaponry, is something you're very likely to become accustomed to using without batting an eyelash.

I doubt that Mirror's Edge will be a game that's for everyone, but at the end of the day, I think it will suffice rather nicely for those wanting a first-person game which shakes up the very core of that genre's foundations. I've become rather tired of most games on both sides of the first-person aisle, namely shooters like Halo and adventures like Oblivion, but Mirror's Edge, if its demo is any indicator, looks like it's bound to avoid the trademarks of both and simply carve its own path. How successful it'll be at the end of the day is still debatable, but I look forward to giving the full game a shake or two and taking it from there.
    Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Pepsiman

Anybody who's talked to me at length about games has probably come to notice that I'm a rather skeptical critic. I'm not unfairly harsh on a game until it warrants such chastising, but I've been burned often enough by games I was excited for up until their release that I know to tread with caution. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, for example, didn't do much for me at all, a viewpoint which still manages to draw controversy to this day if I'm not careful about bringing it up. It's thusly come to pass that a game more often than not has to prove itself before it gets my wholehearted accolades and not "this game is good" and proceed to tack on noticeable reservations I have about it. These days, maybe one to three games which come out at any given year get such treatment. After twelve years of playing this stuff, you just learn to rely on your instinct and experience to tell you what works and what doesn't.

And then came along Mirror's Edge.

I had always been interested in Mirror's Edge from a conceptual standpoint ever since the first public trailer of it came out, but I had my doubts about how well DICE could actually do justice to the vision which the game was trying to portray. After all, this is an FPS studio working on a game which essentially takes out the last letter of the acronym as a main element of the game. A lot of things change with such a removal in emphasis. So in the back of my mind, I thought to myself that if it turned out that DICE didn't manage to completely butcher the ideas driving Mirror's Edge upon its release, I would probably buy it eventually. After all, even if the game is being created by a mainstream studio, the concept is hardly that and my love of oddball games in general would naturally drive it to buy it.

And then the 360 demo came out today and made me want the game to be in my hands sooner rather than later.

It's very rare for a demo to convince to actually go out and buy a game. In fact, the last one to do that was the original Splinter Cell installment, and the GameCube installment at that. (Hey, at least they didn't completely use the GBA lazily.) A game has to be really special in its demo's execution if that portion alone compels me to purchase the full version of the game, yet the one for Mirror's Edges does just that. All of the package's elements felt really cohesive and complimented each other in ways I've seen very few games manage. From what can be best described as a true union between visuals and gameplay to the natural-feeling controls to even the opening of the first level after training, the demo alone led me to put some faith (unintentional pun, I swear!) in DICE and believe that it does, in fact, know what its doing. Considering that this is someone who had never played any other games from the developer's catalog, that's quite a feat.

But the thing which stood out the most for me, the one thing that will probably make the full game iconic in my book, is the game's mentality towards guns.

One of the basic rules of thumb in most first-person games (and imaginably DICE's past works included) is that it's wise to have a reserve of weapons because you'll very likely stumble into a situation where they're your only option out. Mirror's Edge, however, is deliberately designed in such a manner where you firearms aren't actually your best friend. In fact, at least in my case, you actually feel guilty for firing off anything you might pick up from disarmed foes. I became so accustomed to using parkour as my means of survival that to actually take the time to use a pistol and point it at someone's head just didn't feel natural. Not natural in the sense that any of the mechanics for that stuff are broken, but in the sense that you know Faith wasn't brought up to be combative in that way. It feels fine in other games such as Halo and Goldeneye where you know is character is bred to use guns as an extension of their own bodily powers, but in Mirror's Edge, Faith's objective isn't "to shoot shit up." She's meant to do her thing with the help of running and momentum and diverging from that just feels wrong in a way I don't think any other game has ever really conveyed. The Y-Button on the 360 version, which is what you use to discard weaponry, is something you're very likely to become accustomed to using without batting an eyelash.

I doubt that Mirror's Edge will be a game that's for everyone, but at the end of the day, I think it will suffice rather nicely for those wanting a first-person game which shakes up the very core of that genre's foundations. I've become rather tired of most games on both sides of the first-person aisle, namely shooters like Halo and adventures like Oblivion, but Mirror's Edge, if its demo is any indicator, looks like it's bound to avoid the trademarks of both and simply carve its own path. How successful it'll be at the end of the day is still debatable, but I look forward to giving the full game a shake or two and taking it from there.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

I agree. The only problem I had with the demo was if you failed in the training section in spots you had to watch that blond chick do her thing all over again, which got annoying considering one part I screwed up about four times and I had to watch her do it over and over again.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pepsiman

Yeah, there were minor things like that which irked me a tad. I found myself wanting to do a lot of speed runs in the main level since I lack the code to unlock time trial mode and really, really wished there was a more convenient way to restart the level than to go back to the main screen.

Still, as a whole, I find myself applauding DICE for what it's shown off so far and I sincerely hope the good qualities in the demo extend to the game as a whole. $60 is being plunked down, after all.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MachoFantastico

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the demo, I was on my PSN when I downloaded it and the controls were fine but sixaxis controls didn't work to well. But it as made me moe interested and I'll probably pick it up.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Sushbag

If the game lacks a good (or even decent story), it's a deal-breaker for me. I like the free-running idea, and the game certainly feels right gameplay-wise, but it's the sort of thing I think will get old pretty fast without something tying it together. The setting is great, but does Dice have any experience in story-driven entertainment? We'll have to see.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I completely agree. That demo has me sold. Which sucks, because I really cant afford to fit this game into my budget right now.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

Well, if Pepsiman approves, then it must be really good. :)

I'd probably buy it if I had an Xbox 360 or PS3. I've been putting that off for too long.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Gizmo

Not enough rumble when you fall and jump. Other then that, nice looking game Dice have got here, definately will rent.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
    PureRok said:
    "I agree. The only problem I had with the demo was if you failed in the training section in spots you had to watch that blond chick do her thing all over again, which got annoying considering one part I screwed up about four times and I had to watch her do it over and over again."
    I think the point was to show you what you're meant to be doing again in case you forgot.

Sushbag said:
    "If the game lacks a good (or even decent story), it's a deal-breaker for me. I like the free-running idea, and the game certainly feels right gameplay-wise, but it's the sort of thing I think will get old pretty fast without something tying it together. The setting is great, but does Dice have any experience in story-driven entertainment? We'll have to see."
    It's being written by Terry Pratchett's daughter and it can't go wrong with another Orwell/Brave New World-esque dystopia tale.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By dsplayer1010

It was ok at best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.