Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Arg! How do we get rid of cheaters?!

reinha6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By reinha6

We all know the players that have mods and are cheating? If we report them, will they go away? The game is starting to be less fun and more, "I hate this crap!" Any ideas?!

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo

You aren't ever going to get rid of cheaters on Modern Warfare 2 but you can try and do some good by using the Report function that Mircosoft provide. It actually worked and I was banned for a day due to violating something to do with my bio.

MaskedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MaskedGamer

You could report them but I have never seen this work

reinha6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By reinha6

It's just getting crazy.  I even thought about mod-ing, but then I realized it's like steroids in baseball.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By flaminghobo
    @reinha6 said:
    " It's just getting crazy.  I even thought about mod-ing, but then I realized it's like steroids in baseball. "
    If you really feel that it's making gameplay miserable I suggest you start to play Call of Duty 4 or again or alternatively Bad Company 2.
    reinha6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By reinha6

Battlefield is next in my Q.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By RVonE
    @reinha6 said:
    "Battlefield is next in my Q. "

In your Q?
    NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By NekuCTR

It will never happen because:
    1. the million people playing the game can just find another avenue to cheat.
    2. Infinity Wards doesnt care about the fanbase and are currently fighting to stay afloat after the firing squad fiasco.
    3. and most importantly, their boss is a fun nazi who wouldn't condone them using even one second of their time to patch a game they already rolled the bank on.

MaskedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By MaskedGamer
    @Haru48 said:
    " It will never happen because: 1. the million people playing the game can just find another avenue to cheat. 2. Infinity Wards doesnt care about the fanbase and are currently fighting to stay afloat after the firing squad fiasco. 3. and most importantly, their boss is a fun nazi who wouldn't condone them using even one second of their time to patch a game they already rolled the bank on. "
    Wow you stole the words right out of my head
    Prolix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Prolix

What system are you on?  I play on the 360, so there is a in-game report function.  It works well and usually fast.  Most of the time, cheaters are removed before the match is over.  Just use Google to find your report function, for what ever game version your are using.

But if the problem persists for more than 1 match, I advise you drop and find another.  Reporting them is pointless in many cases.  Because the modders are using proxies and other software to hide, mask and dodge tracking.   Its one of the reasons they haven't  hit prestige yet.   

The fact is thou.  If people can, they will.  Just play with more friends and have fun. 

Raiden36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raiden36O
    @Prolix said:
    " What system are you on?  I play on the 360, so there is a in-game report function.  It works well and usually fast.  Most of the time, cheaters are removed before the match is over.  Just use Google to find your report function, for what ever game version your are using. But if the problem persists for more than 1 match, I advise you drop and find another.  Reporting them is pointless in many cases.  Because the modders are using proxies and other software to hide, mask and dodge tracking.   Its one of the reasons they haven't  hit prestige yet.     The fact is thou.  If people can, they will.  Just play with more friends and have fun.  "

I very much doubt Microsoft is able to find and remove cheaters within 2 minutes of the player being reported
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Raiden36O said:
    " @Prolix said:
    " What system are you on?  I play on the 360, so there is a in-game report function.  It works well and usually fast.  Most of the time, cheaters are removed before the match is over.  Just use Google to find your report function, for what ever game version your are using. But if the problem persists for more than 1 match, I advise you drop and find another.  Reporting them is pointless in many cases.  Because the modders are using proxies and other software to hide, mask and dodge tracking.   Its one of the reasons they haven't  hit prestige yet.     The fact is thou.  If people can, they will.  Just play with more friends and have fun.  "
      I very much doubt Microsoft is able to find and remove cheaters within 2 minutes of the player being reported "
    not via reporting, if a roaming mod like thepro were in the game then he could ban them on the instant but the report function works but takes time.
    If someone is boosting, cheating...ect report em they will eventually get taken care of once your done leave the game, Cheaters hate when every one leaves their match killing their fun.
    Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @RVonE: 
    gamefly

. @reinha6: 
    theres not much you can do on consoles. if you have the capability try to record them in the act with a capture card and just watch them play as an observer and you clearly catch them in the act report in on microsofts xbox forums. or while they are cheating in your game or lobby just report them in the menu for cheating or tampering and then avoid them for unsporting. it takes time to report them that way and their system only really cares if the user has a handful of reports filed this way. the most effective way however is to record them in the act and post the evidence on microsofts forums. otherwise they are a large problem with console and matchmaking based multiplayer systems and are rampant in call of duty games because infinity war and activision dont care at all to get rid of them. they have a problem with people using turbo controllers (modded controllers for this generation) for THREE titles and they are still not patching them out. its clear that they will not make large strides to remove cheaters and hacking unless they stand to loose lots of money with players abandoning the game. and they are not. they only patched the retarded model 1887 guns in mw2 because they were loosing thousand of players a day that were rage quitting and picking up competitors games out of frustration. they have alienated most of their core players by refusing to fix their games rampant cheating/hacking/glitching/balancing problems simply because they arent loosing any money at all. they are still making piles of money off of their way overpriced map packs. if you want the cheating to stop sadly the only way to seriously stop it is for players to start abandoning the franchise for lack of developer support and they will make a strong effort to fix all of the issues to draw more cars back on their money train.

@Raiden36O:
    they dont actively track down users. the microsoft reporting system is mostly automated and runs off of reporting volume and overall numbers. once the account is reported a few times for the same thing or recieves a bunch of complaints at the same time it is flagged for review by the computer and is put on a list for someone to acctually look at before they drop a ban or suspension on the account. sadly no one on live knows this and never reports anything because they think the system doesnt work. ironically causing the system to not work. the truth is it does but just takes a bit for it to be dealt with.  there are actual online mods but they are few and far between and when they do jump in directly and do their jobs ridiculous vindictive people try any way they can to try to have the mods removed from their positions. this was textbook with the case of ThePro and the tool he suspended for a week for being obscene through voice chat in a mw2 lobby and subsequently got temporarily suspended (from a paid job) while a formal investigation went on only to discover that the evidence against ThePro was completely fake and doctored audio by a gamer who was upset his account got locked for him being a total tool and hacked ThePros account.
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Druminator

I never see cheating on PS3, just boosters.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @reinha6 said:
    " We all know the players that have mods and are cheating? If we report them, will they go away? The game is starting to be less fun and more, "I hate this crap!" Any ideas?! "
    Welcome to MW2. And get ready for this to happen in Black ops. 
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @Druminator: 
    there isnt a large enough userbase on the psn for their to be a noticeable population of hackers and cheaters. and cheat consoles for the ps3 are a bit harder to get ahold of.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By RobotHamster

Don't play the fucking game, its way too late for anything good to come out of that game or the franchise.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its so funny that you are JUST NOW realizing what a god-awful community COD attracts.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CaptainCody

Nuke boosting is fun too.
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @The_Laughing_Man: 
    i know right? after watching the multiplayer teaser trailer for black ops it seems that even tryarch isnt making an effort to tone down the ridiculousness that mw2 is. in fact from what the trailer shows they are making a strong effort to make it even more rediculous and unbalanced than mw2. i mean really?? a ballistic knife in mp?! the throwing knife was annoying enough. now i have to run around and get killed by a throwing knife that shoots strait as an arrow across the map?! and is a one hit kill... or the remote buggy. which i can tell you now will get annoying REAL fast! and the fact that it looks like you still get ridiculously overpowered kill streaks at low streak counts. i dont know. after the crap that was mw2 i think im going to just walk away from this franchise. dont get me wrong mw2 was great for a couple weeks. before all of the ridiculous balancing issues and glitching started running rampant and all of the turbo controller assholes and hackers showed up to trash the party.  i think call of duty 4 is still the greatest game in the franchise, but after they just pumped it full of steroids for mw2 its loosing its quality and is just becoming a crap ego trip game that frat guys line up to circle jerk on. im keeping an eye on black ops but i doubt im going to pick it up for anything other than the single player if i even get it at all. the multiplayer looks just like mw2 in the teaser so im already not wanting to play it. im acctually greatly considering just waiting it out for the medal of honor rebirth. i didnt play the beta but from what ive seen of gameplay video it uses a modified version of the bad company engine. which is far more stable and cheat resistant than anything that has come out of the cod franchise for years. and it looks just as good. moh also looks to have a larger focus on infantry based combat like call of duty rather than the bad company vehicle focus. which i enjoy to an extent but with powerful vehicles and unbalanced class gadgets its too easy to just become a kill whore and spoil the round in bad company. and with bc2 the class balancing issues are annoying. especially with snipers who can easily one hit kill you from across the giant maps without even trying. i find the closer more urban map styles of cod to the open expanses of the battlefields a bit better. the play style of urban maps are much more entertaining and snipers are less of an issue around buildings and not running through a giant empty desert or tundra. i dont know. im keeping black ops on the table for now. but ive already went to the other end of the table... i guess we will see how it fares once its released.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  i know right? after watching the multiplayer teaser trailer for black ops it seems that even tryarch isnt making an effort to tone down the ridiculousness that mw2 is. in fact from what the trailer shows they are making a strong effort to make it even more rediculous and unbalanced than mw2. i mean really?? a ballistic knife in mp?! the throwing knife was annoying enough. now i have to run around and get killed by a throwing knife that shoots strait as an arrow across the map?! and is a one hit kill... or the remote buggy. which i can tell you now will get annoying REAL fast! and the fact that it looks like you still get ridiculously overpowered kill streaks at low streak counts. i dont know. after the crap that was mw2 i think im going to just walk away from this franchise. dont get me wrong mw2 was great for a couple weeks. before all of the ridiculous balancing issues and glitching started running rampant and all of the turbo controller assholes and hackers showed up to trash the party.  i think call of duty 4 is still the greatest game in the franchise, but after they just pumped it full of steroids for mw2 its loosing its quality and is just becoming a crap ego trip game that frat guys line up to circle jerk on. im keeping an eye on black ops but i doubt im going to pick it up for anything other than the single player if i even get it at all. the multiplayer looks just like mw2 in the teaser so im already not wanting to play it. im acctually greatly considering just waiting it out for the medal of honor rebirth. i didnt play the beta but from what ive seen of gameplay video it uses a modified version of the bad company engine. which is far more stable and cheat resistant than anything that has come out of the cod franchise for years. and it looks just as good. moh also looks to have a larger focus on infantry based combat like call of duty rather than the bad company vehicle focus. which i enjoy to an extent but with powerful vehicles and unbalanced class gadgets its too easy to just become a kill whore and spoil the round in bad company. and with bc2 the class balancing issues are annoying. especially with snipers who can easily one hit kill you from across the giant maps without even trying. i find the closer more urban map styles of cod to the open expanses of the battlefields a bit better. the play style of urban maps are much more entertaining and snipers are less of an issue around buildings and not running through a giant empty desert or tundra. i dont know. im keeping black ops on the table for now. but ive already went to the other end of the table... i guess we will see how it fares once its released. "
    In MW2 I found that if I went with the shield and knife..then the perk that gives me ammo when I run over a dead person I got over 10 to 1 K/D ratio. It was insane. No one knew how to fucking deal with it. I ran around flinging the knife. And no one could damage me. 
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @The_Laughing_Man: 
    yeah. i had a few players doing that to me before i stopped playing mw2. once that started everybody just started running around with an underbarrel launcher on a full auto fal with a turbo controller and the damned thumper in their secondary. and then the 1887 circle jerk started. and then i started noticing tons of nuke boosting and the javelin finally got patched. i quit right around the time that everybody figured out the care package glitch and their was some kind of airstrike every ten seconds until the round ended. from what my younger brother who still plays it has said they fixed that but ive already lost faith in the cod community and activision/infinityward and im skeptical of the quality and sustained playability of anything they put out. theyve made it blatantly obvious that they dont care to fix issues with their games unless they are so broken that people start abandoning the game in droves. i mean for fucks sake. they still havent patched out the turbo controller bullshit. its been an issue for THREE games! that shit just doesnt fly. i would understand if they had waited for their next title release to patch it out but they had two seperate chances since cod4 to deal with it and have ignored it completely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.