Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

I hate snipers

• 61 results
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JDDrewes

This isn't a problem with just MW2, it's pretty much every shooter i know. and i know that no one will probably agree with this and say "it's a legitimate way to play the game". it may be legitimate, but it's just not fun. and here's why i think so.
    I think that snipers suck. you walk outside, and get shot and die. you can't do anything about it. it's a one shot kill, and in games especially like MW2, it's hard to tell exactly where they are, or how to get to that position without being shot by them again. being a sniper isn't that fun either. maybe i'm missing something, but camping in a spot and waiting for someone to poke their head out isn't how i like to play my games. i like fast intense action, and sniping is just downright boring.

again, i know that a lot of people like sniping, and that i'm in the minority thinking that sniping sucks, but this is just something that has pissed me off for a while. again, not just MW2 related.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

It's called being careful, and staying in cover. When you're running, it's harder for a sniper to shoot you. 
    In the face. 
    Or stomach.

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
    DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Snipers can be a pain in the ass. 

Remember though, that for every person who hates snipers, there's somebody who loves nothing more than to play as a sniper shooting people who hate snipers.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138

Can't beat them ? Rage quit .

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

On standard Deathmatch, sniper rifles generally need two hits to the body to take you down, provided the sniper doesn't score a head shot.

Of course, on Hardcore, it's a different story all together.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6  Edited By Symphony

Snipers hate knifers, knifers hate shotgunners, shotgunners hate snipers. The circle of life! :D

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ubiquitous

Snipers are cool in a lot of games, however I think theyre pretty useless in MW. I can "snipe" better and faster with an assault rifle in that game than is possible with a sniper rifle. It takes too long to aim and its harder to score headshots. Surely someone will debate this, but honestly snipers are terrible in MW.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf

There seems to be a lot of hating lately.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9  Edited By Symphony
    @Ubiquitous said:
    "

Snipers are cool in a lot of games, however I think theyre pretty useless in MW. I can "snipe" better and faster with an assault rifle in that game than is possible with a sniper rifle. It takes too long to aim and its harder to score headshots. Surely someone will debate this, but honestly snipers are terrible in MW.

"
    Sadly this is true in most cases. You don't have to hold your breath or pull a big scope up to your eye, and assault rifles can shoot  pretty much just as far as a sniper rifle. That said, I enjoy using sniper rifles more. Killing someone is more gratifying for me as I hold my breath, look down the scope and fire, and hearing that loud single shot echo out as I kill someone sends out a resounding sense of finality more than the little tok tok tok of an assault rifle does.
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @Symphony:
    I will admit, the deafening crack followed by a thud brings a tear to the eye.
    Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Siris
    @JDDrewes: well said.. its not a very fun game mechanic when it means instant death, even by accident.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Dude just because you don't have any skill, and are an all guns blasting type of person and making your team lose, that's not for you to complain on GB about it. Be more careful and PLAY the game.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Synthballs

Not one for snipers at all.

Although, it would take some skill to find somewhere to camp without getting fucked up hard.

doctorkaneder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By doctorkaneder

I can understand a gripe with snipers in some other games, but in Modern Warfare 2, you can be killed just as fast with almost any other gun. The bullet tracers, among many other things, are there to counter this style of play. Being hidden is nice, but sniping can make you a bit paranoid, and somewhat of an even greater target than runners in the open. Of course, if the Kill Cam isn't helping, and the sniper is a good shot, then you'll really need to rely on your teammates' awareness. Tactics such as, "snipers sniping other snipers", is not something that seems too productive, as it's a sort of stalemate way of playing, but people have seemed to latch on to this style in games such as Team Fortress 2, where a good sniper can become a bigger problem than they are here, in MW2. I've seen less of this in MW2, but it is still an option for you, to get the player to move on to another location.

I know a lot of maps can be aggravating, to be on the receiving end of a sniper's rifle, but you can either find a way to take care of the problem as a team, or respect the denial of that particular area and focus on other choke points that are in need of action.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By thatfrood

Hi guys, I own this game called MW2 (maybe you've heard of it?) and I pretty much hate every single way to play the game.

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JDDrewes
    @doctorkaneder: 
    that's a good point. i do love how in MW2 that there's multiple routes to take to get to a location. therefore, no one has to keep dying in the same area because a sniper's got that area pinned down.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Ubiquitous said:
    "

"
    agreed. assault rifle with ACOG/Thermal (depending on map) beats snipers for me any day.
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JoeyIA

I think that it is easier to tell where snipers are in MW2 b/c of the killcam.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By End_Boss
    @doctorkaneder said:

"... you can either find a way to take care of the problem as a team, or respect the denial of that particular area and focus on other choke points that are in need of action. "

No Caption Provided
    imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By imhuntad

Sniping is actually a bit harder than it looks. As you said, they find spots that are not easily findable and kill you as you stroll on by unaware. Positioning is a big help when sniping, but it also becomes a problem later on. Once they take a shot and kill someone, their cover is blown and they must find a different spot, plant claymores, or have a backup plan. A sniper must always be on the move in order to survive.  

One way to kill a sniper is to test them. Simply test their aim, reflexes, positioning, and patience. A bad sniper will miss shots, give away their location quickly, and fire multiple rounds further ensuring their doom. In other words, run around, crouch, prone, and fire back at their general area to see what they do. Then, kill them over and over. You'll see em carryin' an assault rifle soon enough after that. 

raynate2022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raynate2022

Snipers can be very easy to counter. If there is a great sniper on the enemy team, but the rest of the team sucks then they will leave openings to get to the sniper. On the other hand, if the team is good then they will protect their snipers and you'll have to work to get to them.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jadeskye

I love playing as a sniper and i'm good. But i'm not invincible. On a game like MW2, very fast paced, very easy to sneak up behind me and knife me as has happened countless times before lol.

Also in MW2 you have weapon mechanics that are unlike any other game in the sense that you can shoot me clear accross the map with an smg if you're a good shot.

Learn my routines, my posistions, my fields of fire and i can be beaten.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

MW2 as far as I've experienced is way too messy with the random spawning at times for a sniper to put up an effective front (In most cases, with most maps). That said, thanks to shields, grenades, grenade launchers, stun and flash grenades and so forth, assaulting an area is way easier than defending one. A single good nade in there will make short work of the sniper, seeing I am yet to actually see someone who exchanges his other equipment for the blast shield.

Snipers also have the bad habit of staying in the same spot for a long time. Sure, if they know what they're doing they might switch firing positions after a few kills (As mentioned by imhuntad), but the majority usually find that favorite spot of theirs. Soon enough, once you've figured out the trajectory for the grenade launcher or how to throw that semtex, it'll be your favorite spot as well :>

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead

I must admit, if I were to make an FPS, I'd do everything in my power to make sure there were no snipers in the game. It's not so much the rifle itself, but the people who stick to it are the no fun police who don't talk over the headset, only care about K/D ratios and have a username that uses numbers instead of letters and/or has plenty of initials.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hitchenson
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Snail

It adds challenge to the multiplayer. You obviously posted this after rage quitting a game.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By spaceturtle

This cant be a serious post! If snipers are killing you all the time, you either suck, or the snipers you face in matches are good. The game it self dosnt have a problem just because people are good at it.

Indestined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Indestined

I see alot of people hating against the use of Snipers these days,

I could argue your PoV but stating that people running around with Akimbo P90s Silenced with the UaV jammer perk isn't the way the game should be played.

Everyone will play to there own style, personally I enjoy both aspects of the game but there's not many sniper maps on MW2 and there's so many routes to flank them... there's rarely an excuse for dieing to one.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By lead_farmer

You could  give them a taste of their own medicine. nothing sucks more then looking through the scope, then getting sniped.

Or go the long way and knife them. you get a kill and help the rest of the team.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By m1k3

its called "kill cam". when i get snipped, i use the kill cam to notice surroundings around the sniper and go around to kill the him.

Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Butchio
    @ThatFrood said:
    " Hi guys, I own this game called MW2 (maybe you've heard of it?) and I pretty much hate every single way to play the game. "
    hahahaha
    SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Playing the sniper is like playing a caster.  You go down easy,  you do the most damage, and people tend to hate you the most and head right for you.  So generally speaking, classes that are that unforgiving, require the most skill.  But mastering Sniper can be the most satisfying and rewarding play style around.   

You'll become more intimate with all the maps, become a better marksmen, become more self reliant, and develop a much more versatile playing style.  Running for from the hip shots, kills brain cells.

As for countering them?  Easy, it really boils down to how good you are.  If your getting popped by a sniper, your probably just as likely to get popped by everyone else.  He just saw you first.  So I think your hate is misplaced.  Snipers aren't the problem, it's your extreme lack of skill.    So don't hate snipers, hate people who aim....

Do yourself a favor and start using a sniper rifle or ACOG scope.  Stop complaining and L2P, by trying out what they are doing.

@Symphony said:

" Snipers hate knifers, knifers hate shotgunners, shotgunners hate snipers. The circle of life! :D "

Funny.  : )  But what about campers, bombers, and shield bashers? 

Also, about using a assualt rifle instead.  You don't get the range, breathing control, single shot power or the awesome sexy sleak look of a sniper rifle that makes all the imaginary women wet.  But I thats why we can use One man army!  

Also, sorry OP.  I just saw that Trolls can't be Snipers.    : (
    mcneb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mcneb

I play sniper, and its the most fun way to play mw2 in my opinion.   Theres nothing more fun then playing domination, capturing the flag in the little village section, and then just hiding in those two green fields waiting for someone to try and cap it.  Then i just sneak around and stab em in the back.  Plus, when I go hide again, they cant find me because of the gilly suit

it isnt really that hard to kill a sniper either.  The killcam and a grenade or two are your best friends.   
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Shadow

I hate snipers too...the guns.  However, I love snipers (the people) because they're so easy to kill.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By meteora

I love sniping, its sooo satisfying to kill someone, especially with the Intervention (seeing how you can't just spam bullets here and there). But there's actually not a lot of viable maps for sniping in MW2 compare to COD4. In COD4 you could snipe on maps like Backlot, Strike and even Vacant for that matter. There's notable a lot less snipers in MW2 than in COD4 in my opinion. Sometimes the whole enemy team will consist of guys running around with assault rifles or SMGs on Wasteland. That was never the case with COD4; you normally had at least one sniper on a map like Creek or Overgrown.

Besides that it usually takes more skills to use a sniper rifle since they lack the versatility of an assault rifle. You can become god-like if you learn how to quick scope or no scope in CQB.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By aaox
    @SoothsayerGB: But Shield Bashers are so fun to get! When you do a little jump to the side, whip out your knife and BOOM! All that riot shield's going to protect now is your rotting corpse, bro.
    Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Alphonzo

I don't have that much of a problem with it, but I do wish that the character models in Call of Duty games  didn't blend quite so well with the colors of the environment so they would be easier to see.  Sometimes you're just getting shot at by a dark figure crouching in front of a slightly brighter background.   

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @Symphony said:
    " Snipers hate knifers, knifers hate shotgunners, shotgunners hate snipers. The circle of life! :D "
    But knifers and shotgunners play in a similar fasion, so wouldn't knifers hate snipers as well?
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By demontium

Francis hates everything

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sidekick-Trio

Genuinely good snipers are so rare that it's barely even worth the worry. If you want to start a bitter little rivalry with a sniper just get up behind them and spend a few seconds looking down your iron sights before you blow their head off with a shotgun. if they watch the killcam and see that, It will annoy them and make them sloppy. Also if you bump into a rare good sniper don't keep charging them trying to kill him, just stop going to that area of the map, starve them of kills, make their game boring, force them to move and expose themselves.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FluxWaveZ

And I'm sure they hate you.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

Battlefield has great sniping, as it is difficult. In Battlefield you have to aim ahead of your target, and account for bullet drop, but they are still deadly with someone who knows how to snipe.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Red

I've actually been using a heartbeat sensor'd Intervention for a while now over my normal assault weapons. With a good machine pistol or the M9 and stopping power, killin' dudes is pretty easy.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By senrat

Im not near as good at MW2 as i was the first MW.  I dont know why.  I just discovered two good weapons though, Silenced tar 21 and M16. Im a terrible sniper, Im always paranoid and looking around me so i wont get flanked which always leads to my death. Snipers are the main reason i hate Afghan and wasteland.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By meteora
    @DarkGamerOO7 said:
    " Battlefield has great sniping, as it is difficult. In Battlefield you have to aim ahead of your target, and account for bullet drop, but they are still deadly with someone who knows how to snipe. "
    Wasn't the problem that you can never seem to get one hit kills without a headshot\? I'd imagine that wold be pretty annoying unless you're really good at sniping.\

Personally I never tried enough sniping in BF:BC.
    Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Whitestripes09

I enjoy sniping, I find my heart races more while sniping and im less angry while sniping. Rushing around and getting killed every 5 seconds just makes me mad, so i bust out the tent, some marshmallows and sleeping bag with my trusty .50 cal.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    When i snipe my build is W2100 or whatever  
     Marathon
    Lightweight 
    Commando 
    and a pistol with a tactical knife 

So i dont just sit in one spot i get nervous and i move positions ALOT 

I Snipe one or two people then move
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By withateethuh

Sniping is so much more fun in mw2. MW didn't have enough open maps effective for sniping. With that said, the sniping is still pretty balanced and when I'm camping with my sniper I'm always encountering counter-snipers and those lovely predator missiles.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cstrang
    @Symphony said:
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By Illmatic

If all you're doing while sniping is remaining in one spot, you're doing it wrong. Sniping isn't just about camping. It's about knowing good spots to lay down and how to get somewhere else when the enemies begin to take different routes. It seems boring to alot of people because they haven't gotten quite good at it yet. It's the difference between getting 5 kills as a sniper and getting 15.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.