Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Patch update (1-18-10)

jUbib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jUbib

There's a new patch out, at least for PC (Steam) now. It includes the following: 

•      Care Package, Emergency Airdrop, and Sentry Gun marker grenades sprint speed normalized
    •     Sentry Guns: Improved placement detection, preventing cases of Sentry Guns inside geometry
    •     Model 1887: Bling using Akimbo and FMJ combination now has same range and damage as non-Bling Model 1887s
    •     Improved player collision removing cases of getting into geometry and 'elevators'
    •     Mouse latency tweaks for more mouse movement consistency
    •     Fixes to prevent various texture and XP hacks

For more see Steam News or a video-talk-through on the changes.

I have a big wish to Infinity Ward to include the "Tactical"-button layout for lefties in the next update - it shouldn't be hard to implement, and I really miss it.

What's your oppinion on the changes, and what do you think is missing?

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I don't think IW realizes that the Rangers are pretty broken as well....

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jack268
    @jUbib said:
    " what do you think is missing?  "
    Dedicated servers. >_> 

Hit detection is very buggy imo, had several issues today where I was headshotting people who were laying still multiple times and still no kill, which sucks >_>
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@Jack268 said:
    " @jUbib said:
    " what do you think is missing?  "
    Dedicated servers. >_>  Hit detection is very buggy imo, had several issues today where I was headshotting people who were laying still multiple times and still no kill, which sucks >_> "
    I once fired an undermounted shotgun directly into someones back while they were prone and didn't even hit them. I'm playing 360, and there is a lot of lag, but never that bad.....

Undermounted shotguns kinda suck anyway...
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kohe321

Well the damn care package sprint bug took them long enough to fix. IW are the slowest patchers ever...

Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mr_Bubbles
    @Kohe321 said:
    " Well the damn care package sprint bug took them long enough to fix. IW are the slowest patchers ever... "
    I wouldn't say the slowest.
    jUbib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jUbib

Generally I find the updates good. They should do something about the matchmaking-system, as it is flawed (at least on the 360) if you're a party of 2+ wanting to play together.

High latency is hard to fix, but I generally think the hitboxes are working "ok" if the latency is low. Watching kill cams in a match with high latency shows how much latency matters - you can really tell how the person killing you were presented with a situation very different from what you were shown.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By hicks91
    @Kohe321: you didnt play dawn of war soulstorm 
    that was far worse support there so quit your whining
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kohe321
    @hicks91 said:
    " @Kohe321: you didnt play dawn of war soulstorm that was far worse support there so quit your whining "
    The fact that you can find another developer that is slower doesn't suddenly make my point invalid. That shit should be hotfixed, as should the akimbo winchester nonsense, as it is probably 5 minutes worth of coding needed to correct it... If that.
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Mr_Bubbles said:
    " @Kohe321 said:
    " Well the damn care package sprint bug took them long enough to fix. IW are the slowest patchers ever... "
    I wouldn't say the slowest. "
    for running such a big title, they are slow
    Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see dedicated servers for console players one day.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12  Edited By Symphony
    @jUbib said:
    " Generally I find the updates good. They should do something about the matchmaking-system, as it is flawed (at least on the 360) if you're a party of 2+ wanting to play together.  "
    I definitely agree.

I can't believe how many games my friends and I have had to back out of because it'll split up our group and send us immediately into different games. Or how often one of us will get kicked out of the lobby right as the game starts. It's really frustrating having to make 10 or more attempts just to get one game we can join -- and its usually only 2 or 3 of us trying to play together; it's not like there's 6 or more of us.

We can play private matches together just fine with little to no lag, so why there are such ridiculous connection issues when we try to join public matches is beyond me.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kohe321
    @Symphony said:
    " @jUbib said:
    " Generally I find the updates good. They should do something about the matchmaking-system, as it is flawed (at least on the 360) if you're a party of 2+ wanting to play together.  "
    I definitely agree.  I can't believe how many games my friends and I have had to back out of because it'll split up our group and send us immediately into different games. Or how often one of us will get kicked out of the lobby right as the game starts. It's really frustrating having to make 10 or more attempts just to get one game we can join -- and its usually only 2 or 3 of us trying to play together; it's not like there's 6 or more of us.  We can play private matches together just fine with little to no lag, so why there are such ridiculous connection issues when we try to join public matches is beyond me. "
    Yeah, that happens on PC as well... We had like 5-6 different attempts from the party lobby before everyone (party of 3) came into the game together.
    Jimmy775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Jimmy775
    • Only allow One Man Army to select a different class than the one you are currently using. 
    • Improve host selection so that I feel as though i'm validating paying for my 50/50 FIOS.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#15  Edited By citizenkane

I should get back into this game and download these patches.  I am missing it a little after not play for almost a month.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Oriental_Jams

The one man army thing should probably be changed, though I did use it this evening and got a healthy 31-0 in TDM- being evil is fun.

Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Valco

I've always been an avid defender of MW2, but with all the glitches, frustration, clans and lack of servers I sometimes actually forward to giving it its final send off when I switch to Bad Company 2, and its going to take more than a bloody patch to change that.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By wefwefasdf

Yes! No more Care Package glitch!

Rirobuge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rirobuge
    @Jimmy775 said:
    "
    • Only allow One Man Army to select a different class than the one you are currently using. 
    "
    This wouldn't stop people from making a duplicate class and switching to it.
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Damn, I like the care package glitch....
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

Make one man army not spawn full ammo when you switch classes back and forth.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Man... I need to play more Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer, but at this point I am sure that I am rusty as all hell. Thank goodness that Akimbo 1887s have finally been completely nerfed.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

ps3 never got this update. i was playing it today and never got them. models seem to be nerfed a lot. i finally unlocked them and they seemed kind of bad then other shotguns.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hicks91
    @XII_Sniper: i think a more effective nerf would just be to make it so you cant swap to another class using one man army 
    that way it prevents the obvious shitty behaviour that is possible with this perk, but it doesnt ruin the usefulness of it
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By ColinWright
    @Kohe321 said:
    Nope, Epic is still the slowest. They still havent fixed some stuff in Gears 2
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By immike
    @Kohe321 said:
    " @hicks91 said:
    " @Kohe321: you didnt play dawn of war soulstorm that was far worse support there so quit your whining "
    The fact that you can find another developer that is slower doesn't suddenly make my point invalid. That shit should be hotfixed, as should the akimbo winchester nonsense, as it is probably 5 minutes worth of coding needed to correct it... If that. "
    Actually, technically he did make your point invalid. You said they were the slowest and he pointed out someone slower, thus invalidating your point, haha. I know this is a stupid post and don't blame you for this ironic twist, but it was kinda funny to me (and solely me I suppose). You were over exaggerating, I get it.  

To the point, I think Infinity Ward is doing a decent job fixing their game. I still blame them for not having a public beta (not that it would have caught everything), but I like that they are actually patching their game. I know it's different, but Valve said they were going to patch in some features and fixes into orange box for the 360 and years later has still not done so. I really enjoy MW2 and am glad they are taking some time to fix the problems.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikkaQ
    @hicks91: Isn'T swapping classes on the fly the entire point of that perk?
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By evanbrau

The game has problems but they are being fixed and as slowly as some people on the hate train like to say. People have pointed out examples of games that simply go unpatched, this is not one of them and is being actively supported. They should have had a beta though.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JokerClown88

Now the 2+ weeks of waiting for PS3 and 360 patches begins.
    hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hicks91
    @XII_Sniper: but preventing you from swapping to classes with the one man army perk prevents you spawning infinite ammo
    MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrSnow

Damn now i dont get to akimbo 1887 people......only half a level away.

JDoobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By JDoobs

- The rangers don't have the insane range the models did, but they still are a bit crazy, especially with steady aim on.

- Matchmaking doesn't need an overhaul, just another pass over the code that's causing random drops of party members, boot from lobbies etc ... I've actually entered the Team Deathmatch hopper a couple times and have been thrown in to a different game all together. S&D a couple times.

- The pave low killstreak stuff needs work. Care package pave lows sometimes add to streaks like it shouldn't, normal pave low almost never adds to streaks the way it should.

- One Man Army should be changed so that you can't have infinite ammo. Even if you have diminishing returns on ammo every time you spawn per life, that would work. (IE: Less and less ammo returned for every class swap, unless you die) Or maybe just a static number of ammo returns per life.

Those are really my main gripes. Fix those and I'll be a happy camper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.