Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Why did he do it? (SPOILERS)

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

So yeah playing through the single player again and I still dont fully understand why Sheppard killed Roach and Ghost, he wanted to cover up everything he had done?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FrankCanada97

Basically, although someone else will give you a more in-depth reason.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Venatio
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " Basically, although someone else will give you a more in-depth reason. "
    I hope so
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By TheHBK

I shall try.
    Remember that the team split up.  Roach and ghost go to Russia to get the data on Makarov back which will show that Makarov was behind the massacre at the airport.
    Well i have a couple of reasons behind his killing of Roach and Ghost and planned murder of Price and Soap, since from the radio communications, they found out he was a traitor.
    First off, he had wanted this war between Russia and America to start, by having Russia be the invading force.  To do this he puts Allen in with Makarov and I believe that he compromised Allen's identity so as to allow Makarov to set it up to look like American's were responsible.  And I think that this fact had evidence in the data retrieved from the house.  Part of me believes that Makarov had been working for Shepard to set this war up, because they make it a point to let the audience know he is a mercenary and no revolutionary.  Also, how does Makarov know the location of Shepard's base in Afghanistan?

Also, because he was so pissed about what happened in COD4, he wants to make sure America gets credit for getting the evidence on Makarov, not the British agents of the 141.  So he wastes them to get rid of the evidence and make sure only he gets credit for blaming Makarov.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By nanikore
    @TheHBK: A question I have: Why was Allen chosen to be the undercover guy at the airport? He seemed like just any soldier.
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By bicycleham
    @nanikore said:
    " @TheHBK: A question I have: Why was Allen chosen to be the undercover guy at the airport? He seemed like just any soldier. "
    Cause unlike most of the guys you played as in the COD series, he actually talked. :D

Nah, probably because game developers thought that players were going to get good times on the course and so Shepard would see the Allen was a good shot, backed up by the fact that Dunn said something along the lines of this in the beginning.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By CornontheCobbe

My question was why did Price not stop the nuke from going off into space? I didnt really get that. I thought he was on Sheppards side when he let it fire... I'm kind of confused at what happened in that game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Yep, he's just eliminating anything that can possibly lead back to him starting the war.  He also doesn't want anybody to find out how the nuke got launched, because that was key to getting his blank cheque.

Shepherd employing (or at least working with) Makarov is the only explanation that really makes any sense.  Makarov's plan relies entirely on being able to leave an American agent at the scene of the crime; where else is he gonna get one if not from Shepherd?  No agent, no point in the attack on the airport in the first place, because it wouldn't achieve anything.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo
    @CornontheCobbe said:

" My question was why did Price not stop the nuke from going off into space? I didnt really get that. I thought he was on Sheppards side when he let it fire... I'm kind of confused at what happened in that game. "

Price fired the nuke and had it detonate prematurely in space.  The EMP blast from the nuke disables all of the Russian hardware, allowing the US troops to easily win the battle and repel the invasion.  The nuke is far enough away not to do any real damage to the city.

Edit:  Hence why he talks about needing a 'bigger blast to put out the fire' or something (a reference to how they had to put out the oil field fires during Desert Storm, but also to how he intended to 'put out' the Russian invasion - by EMPing Washington).  Price goes to that sub base with the sole intention of launching the nuke.  Afterwards, Shepherd says something about winning the war and Price says "I thought we did that yesterday", referring to the nuke / EMP blast they set off.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Jimbo said:
    " @CornontheCobbe said:
    " My question was why did Price not stop the nuke from going off into space? I didnt really get that. I thought he was on Sheppards side when he let it fire... I'm kind of confused at what happened in that game. "
    Price fired the nuke and had it detonate prematurely in space.  The EMP blast from the nuke disables all of the Russian hardware, allowing the US troops to easily win the battle and repel the invasion.  The nuke is far enough away not to do any real damage to the city. "
    Yeah, although wouldn't there still be radiation?
    Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Khemitude

No there wouldn't be as it was detonated in space so that radiation wouldn't reach the surface, only the emp effect would reach the surface of earth.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MeierTheRed

I want to know why they only poured gasoline on Roach i guess his name was, and not on that tard Ghost? (i might be wrong but i don't remember them pouring it on Ghost or setting him on fire)

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Metroid545
    @CornontheCobbe said:
    yeah i never got why he let the sub fire em at the end soap said THE PORTS ARE OPENING and price said good
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

Geez, I thought people would have figured everything out already. The story isn't that hard to understand. Listen to the Modern Warfare 2 Bombcast.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Venatio
    @Metroid545 said:

" @CornontheCobbe said:

yeah i never got why he let the sub fire em at the end soap said THE PORTS ARE OPENING and price said good "
    Because he was firing the nuke to set off an EMP blast over Washington D.C.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Venatio
    @natetodamax said:
    "

Geez, I thought people would have figured everything out already. The story isn't that hard to understand. Listen to the Modern Warfare 2 Bombcast.

"
    I know but it does have plot holes, and I listened to the bombcast, they didnt fully understand either 

Dont be so condescending
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Capum15

As was already said, Price wanted to EMP the Eastern Seaboard (Well, D.C./Virginia, where Russia was focusing it's invasion), thereby killing power to everything. Since it was home soil, the US troops had the advantage since there was no electricity running (apart from the White House). With the playing field "leveled", so to speak, the US troops could win.

The whole ISS/Astronaut blowing up in space/getting thrown is physically impossible, but still makes for a badass scene. It's the Radiation of the nuke that effects particles in the atmosphere, which creates the EMP, but it's so far up that deadly radiation levels don't appear on the surface.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheHBK
    @Xolare said:
    " @nanikore said:
    " @TheHBK: A question I have: Why was Allen chosen to be the undercover guy at the airport? He seemed like just any soldier. "
    Cause unlike most of the guys you played as in the COD series, he actually talked. :D  Nah, probably because game developers thought that players were going to get good times on the course and so Shepard would see the Allen was a good shot, backed up by the fact that Dunn said something along the lines of this in the beginning. "
    Yeah, they give the explanation as Shepard looking for people to run the pit and Foley tells you to go over there to run it.  Thats the story explanation of why you have to do that damn thing again in this game.  Shepard is looking over you when you enter the pit to the left, so I guess from how "well" you did, he chooses Allen to be his newest recruit.

@Capum15:
    The EMP is not created from the nukes radiation interacting with the atmosphere.  When a nuclear explosion occurs, the radiation (gamma rays and other light) pulse through the Earth's electromagnetic field and the fluctuation causes the voltage and current surges that knock out electronic equipment.  So an EMP would be less severe near the equator where the field is weaker and stronger near the poles.
    As for the astroman, I feel like maybe there was enough atmosphere where he was to get a blast wave to him since most times there are not completely clear of the earth's atmosphere, it just looks that way.  Or the EMP could have caused the equipment he was working on to blow up.  Either way, the EMP would have knocked out his life support system or the radiation from being out there with little to no atmosphere would have killed him.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Metroid545
    @Venatio said:
    " @Metroid545 said:

" @CornontheCobbe said:

yeah i never got why he let the sub fire em at the end soap said THE PORTS ARE OPENING and price said good "
    Because he was firing the nuke to set off an EMP blast over Washington D.C. "
    woah what, now i'm more confused
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @TheHBK: Can there be explosions in space seeing as there no oxygen there which is needed to cause a fire?
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Ghost and Roach had dirty dirty sex with his mother. 
    ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ht101
    @FiestaUnicorn:
    This is the real answer.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheHBK
    @Dylabaloo: Well not if you feel that an explosion has to be oxygen based fire.  There have been a few space tests of nuclear weapons before so yes, things explode in space.  Explosions dont need to have oxygen.  Popping a balloon is an explosion, but nothing burns.  In a nuke's case, the energy bursting out, the Radiation and the material blown out are the explosion.  Also, oxygen is not always needed for something to burn or explode.  All you have to do is look into space to see stars exploding and know that a lot more is possible in space that one is led to believe.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @TheHBK said:
    " I shall try. Remember that the team split up.  Roach and ghost go to Russia to get the data on Makarov back which will show that Makarov was behind the massacre at the airport. Well i have a couple of reasons behind his killing of Roach and Ghost and planned murder of Price and Soap, since from the radio communications, they found out he was a traitor. First off, he had wanted this war between Russia and America to start, by having Russia be the invading force.  To do this he puts Allen in with Makarov and I believe that he compromised Allen's identity so as to allow Makarov to set it up to look like American's were responsible.  And I think that this fact had evidence in the data retrieved from the house.  Part of me believes that Makarov had been working for Shepard to set this war up, because they make it a point to let the audience know he is a mercenary and no revolutionary.  Also, how does Makarov know the location of Shepard's base in Afghanistan?Also, because he was so pissed about what happened in COD4, he wants to make sure America gets credit for getting the evidence on Makarov, not the British agents of the 141.  So he wastes them to get rid of the evidence and make sure only he gets credit for blaming Makarov. "
    FAIL. Just kidding.
    hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hicks91
    @Dylabaloo:  
    a nuclear explosion isn't the same as a combustion explosion 

combustion is just a reaction with oxygen like you said, and the enthalpy change between the breaking and forming new bonds is negative, which is where the energy (or the fire as you see it) comes from 

however a nuclear explosion a different mechanism takes place 
    energy is released when matter is transferred into energy, either by fission (less efficient) or fusion (more efficient) 
    im going to assume the bomb in game is fission powered: 
    an atom (usually uranium) is split in two, which produces two new atoms, and neutrons  
    the sum of the atomic weight of the produced atoms and neutrons, however does not equal the parent atoms atomic weight 
    where does this mass go? its converted into energy subject to Einstein's famous equation e=mc^2 
    so with just a little mass, you can release a lot of energy which is why pound for pound nuclear weapons are more powerful than conventional explosives

on how the emp blast works, i emailed this in to the bombcast after the modern warfare two podcast, but it was never read :( 

hey guys just thought i'd shout in and say yeah what price does it totally possible (and has happened before)
    The physics behind it is, the bomb detonates in the atmosphere and as a result produces a lot of gamma rays. The photons from the gamma rays produce high energy, delocalised electrons via a process called Compton scattering. These electrons are trapped in the earth's magnetic field, which then leads to an oscillating electric current, which due to its asymmetry leads to a radiated electromagnetic field which is the emp

how price knew this? spoiler alert he's Gordon Freeman

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Hannibal

I think he either did it for the dope or revenge.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hamz

The story in MW2 isn't explained all that well so there are some inconsistent holes in the plot. Basically the reoccurring theme in MW2 is how history remembers the heroes, how history remembers us and how we are written and perceived in the history books.

Shepherd, in short, is pissed that during the war in COD4 he lost thousands of troops during the nuclear blast in an effort to stop Zakhaev from winning, yet even after all those sacrifices and struggles. Zakhaev and the Ultranationalists still win, Zakhaev is branded a martyr and hero of Russia. The Ultranationalists rise to power in Russia and the world just stands idly by and lets it happen without batting an eyelid.

So when he sees the chance to claim responsibility for finding the incriminating evidence proving that Makarov, a terrorist and former member of the Ultranationalist Russian party, is the man responsible for the "No Russian" fiasco and subsequent Russian invasion of America he grabs it. He betrays Task Force 141 so that he, Shepherd, can claim the glory and this time have history written the way it should have been, with the terrorists (Ultranationalist Russians) being branded the villains and not the heroes. And that those who sacrificed themselves to try and stop people like Zakhaev, Makarov, Al Asad and the terrorist Ultranationalists will not have sacrificed themselves in vain, and that they will get the recognition of victory in the history books like they deserve.

In short Shepherd basically realises he has a chance to right, what he considers personally, to be many wrongs and all it takes is silencing the very few people that know the truth, a price he is willing to pay for the greater good and grander scheme of things. The moment he gets that 'blank cheque' Shepherd realises he has everything he needs to wage a fully justified and legitimate war with unlimited resources that will put his name in the history books forever.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @hicks91: @TheHBK: Thanks for explaining it :)
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Venatio said:
    " @Metroid545 said:

" @CornontheCobbe said:

Price needed the nuke to explode but not harm D.C.(and if you guys watch the loading briefing, you will know why). The 141 with Price became a threat to Shepard's plan to be a hero. The nuke unintentionally helped Shepard with the blank check though. If the nuke was defused, the plan would be going as normal and the destruction of Russia would occur in which the plot would be horrible.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Venatio said:
    " @Metroid545 said:

" @CornontheCobbe said:

Price needed the nuke to explode but not harm D.C.(and if you guys watch the loading briefing, you will know why). The 141 with Price became a threat to Shepard's plan to be a hero. The nuke unintentionally helped Shepard with the blank check though. If the nuke was defused, the plan would be going as normal and the destruction of Russia would occur in which the plot would be horrible.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By withateethuh

Its not that hard to comprehend. A high altitude detonation of a nuclear weapon creates the mother of EMPs. It would have devastated electronics all across the coast, giving the US military the upper hand because its on their turf.  

I personally love the fact that they used that in the game, because its not a common use of nuclear weapons in fiction.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dbz1995
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Afroman269

Listen to theBombcast on Modern Warfare 2. They throw good theories around. The one that I like is that Shepard saw the opportunity to bring meaning back to the army after the blow it took from the nuke detonating in MW 1, so he wanted the war to continue and by killing everyone involved in the Task Force 141, no one will find out that the U.S was innocent. Reasons to support this is that the quotes towards the end of the game that appear when you die always mention something about extreme patriotism.

Doners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Doners

What I don't get is why didn't the Russians just nuke the Americans if they wanted rid of them and why didn't the Americans just nuke the Russians when they invaded mainland America?

In other words what happened to mutually assured destruction?  

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By withateethuh
    @Doners said:
    " What I don't get is why didn't the Russians just nuke the Americans if they wanted rid of them and why didn't the Americans just nuke the Russians when they invaded mainland America?

In other words what happened to mutually assured destruction?  
    "
    Uh, the answer to your first question is MAD. Nuking the US would cause a nuclear retaliation and vice versa.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.