Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

ModNation Racers

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 25, 2010

ModNation Racers is a racing game using Sony's "Play, Create, Share" mantra -- applied in ModNation Racers as "Race, Create, Share". Like other titles in the series such as LittleBigPlanet, it allows players to customize characters, create their own levels/tracks, and share them online on the PlayStation Network.

Was the LBP 2 Announcement of poor timing?

KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By KinjiroSSD

I'm not here to troll ModNation Racers but since the announcement of LBP 2, my excitement for MNR has dropped off considerably. I'm not a huge fanatic of cart racers but I enjoy them enough to play one occasionally. If LBP 2's racing is competent enough to scratch that itch, I don't have a need for MNR.  Certainly MNR will be a better cart racer but LBP 2 could offer much more like weapon, obstacle creation, and triggering events. This is all speculative of course but not out of the realm of possibly given what the LBP community has done.

Does anyone else feel like Sony made a mistake announcing LBP 2 a 2 weeks before ModNation's release? Why not wait till E3?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

Nope. Modnation Racers is brilliant - I've had the game a while now and it's one of the best kart racers in a long, long time. The weapons are a bit weak - but the Create aspect is fantastic and the single player is surprisingly brilliant. The game's also had a slew of great reviews already in - yet still it's flying under the radar.

If you like fun though, you should give it a chance.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sanryd

Maybe a bit, especially with the kick-ass trailer they released for it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

It's a bit like saying "Does the Gears Of War 3 trailer take away from Halo: Reach" though. It doesn't really, because they're very different games.

karubah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By karubah

I think there is going to be a big enough gap between when MNR and LBP2 comes out that people will not feel tired of player created content games. And I agree with what people are saying that there is enough of a difference between the games on a fundamental level that gamers are going to be able to distinguish between the two.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By DanielJW

I don't think so. Seems like they have a big enough gap there to not bite their own ass. I am very excited for Little Big Planet 2 though. Moreso than I was for Modnation. 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss

LBP2's announcement didn't effect my purchasing decision at all.

Tho posters and critics haven't said anything bad about the gameplay everyone seems to glaze over that area of discussion, leaving me with the impression that tho everything else is brilliant, the gameplay itself is on the mediocre. This has moved Modnation from a day-one purchase to a try-before-buy for me.

I still have hope in it, but with Red Dead here waiting isn't exactly killing me.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Willy105

Two different genres.

Will Super Mario Galaxy 2 take away from Mario Kart Wii?

Mariorules85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Mariorules85

I'll probably agree with some of the posters here that, no... LBP2's unveiling doesn't hurt MNR at all. I think this game will tide people over until LBP2 releases.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @get2sammyb said:
    " Nope. Modnation Racers is brilliant - I've had the game a while now and it's one of the best kart racers in a long, long time. The weapons are a bit weak - but the Create aspect is fantastic and the single player is surprisingly brilliant. The game's also had a slew of great reviews already in - yet still it's flying under the radar.  If you like fun though, you should give it a chance. "
    Exactly and that is because the marketing of Modnation Racers wasn't very good to begin with really. I played the demo and it seems like a really good game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.