Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monday Night Combat

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 11, 2010

A multiplayer-focused third-person shooter that borrows elements from both Team Fortress 2 and Defense of the Ancients. Take control of one of six personified Classes and defend your Moneyball in a futuristic sports environment.

Tank... OP?

HiraH4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HiraH4x

Does anyone feel the same way about the Tank position that I do? Rail gun/sniper with high damage, a close range automatic weapon with relative high damage, a graple on that weapon that does high AoE CQC damage, thrusters, a projectile AoE bomb that stuns, and a charge maneuver for escaping. 

Maybe I haven't played enough of the game, but this class/position does seem extremely over powered. 

(Oh I forgot, also a self heal with no cooldown)

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

its balanced out. its not overpowered because you can easy get behind him. especially with the assassins and just one hit kill. hes a tank. his weakness is maneuverability. exploit it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I pretty much main Tank, and I am here to tell you that you are wrong sir. Assaults, Gunners, and Snipers are all fairly adept at taking him out. The Assault can run up and attach bombs to him, fire down their sights from afar, or throw him off the stage; Snipers can headshot, freeze him or throw him off the stage; and Gunners outmatch him in close range combat. 

The charge is virtually useless against Assaults or Sniper when trying to escape as both can pick you off before you are able to turn a corner, and it doesn't recharge fast enough to be used multiple times against a single opponent. I'll admit that the Product Grenade is pretty powerful, but it doesn't stop Pros from shooting. The Tank is super slow without pick-ups, so if he was in your sights before it went off you can probably still peg him. The Death Blossom melee for the jet gun also isn't especially powerful against Pros. It is good for taking down bots or Pros that already have damage on them, but it can't kill a clean Pro in one hit and the Tank is forced to reload afterwards.  

And for the record the Product Grenade doesn't stun. It blinds Pros and disables bots and turrets.

Also, where are you getting this self heal from? If you are talking about his Deploy then stop right there, because employing that kind of tactic is pretty fucking useless. He has a very short range when in the turret form and is extremely vulnerable as well. It takes so long to deploy and undeploy that it is completely useless trying to get health back that way in the battlefield. You could potentially hide in your base to regain health, but his standard health regen is so fast that it would be a waste of time anyway. 

Also I just taught you how to completely demolish my favorite class. 

These are the things I do for your people. 

@PNut_Buttr_Panda:

If the Tank fully upgrades his armor he can survive an Assassin's back stab. I love their reactions when they figure out it didn't take. 

The best way to take out the Tank from behind is to throw him off the stage entirely.
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Damien
    @LordXavierBritish:  I also main a custom tank.  While I don't disagree that the tank is NOT overpowered, I do disagree hugely on the self heal while deployed.  I use that tactic all the time if I'm low on health.  It takes almost no time, there is very short cooldown, and IIRC, your range on the jet gun while deployed is greater than normal.  If I"m in a gun fight, with say an assault, and need health, I'll back up behind a wall and deploy.  More often than not, the person comes rushing in to finish me off.  Rather, they charge into fully healed tank with jet gun firing and die.  It's a useful tactic.  I would recommend trying it.  I also find that tanks aren't easily thrown off stages.  Most of the times when I'm grappled, I don't clear the wall.  The few times I do, I boost back onto the stage, if I'm quick enough.

@HiraH4x:  The death blossom attack almost does nothing to pros and I find actually useless.  You have to immediately recharge after using, all the while you're defenseless.  The grenade I find also does minimal damage to pros.  I use it mostly against groups of black jacks.  Against the bots, it's pretty good.  The rail gun does not do a lot of damage.  If a tank is using that gun, you should be able to outgun him with assault or gunner easily.  Also IMO, any tank that uses the charge move to escape is doing it wrong.  That is meant to ram into your enemies after you've set them ablaze and they're retreating.  I get a decent number of kills using the charge that way.

@PNut_Buttr_Panda: I would say the assassin fairs poorly against tanks.  As LordXavierBritish said, fully upgraded, backstabs aren't one hit kills.  Even less so when you use the extra health gold sponsor as I do.  I actually love when assassins stab me, front or back.  As soon as the animation is done, I can charge into them, killing them instantly.  If that doesn't play , the jet gun is ready for when they come back in to melee.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @Damien: I actually tried out using Deploy to heal in game right after reading the original post, and I have to say that it is pretty useful, although the situations in which it can be used safely are few and far between. 

I have to say, if any class is over powered I'd have to pick either the Gunner or the Support. The Gunner is just way too fast for the amount of damage he can deal. I think it's pretty fucking stupid that the Tank moves like a tortoise when his best attribute is defense while the Gunner can just continually rip through everything in his path at a break neck pace. Maybe it would be okay if his defense wasn't so good, but it actually is really decent. The also fires crazy far, which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't slow you down. I can't even count all the times I've been sniped of my last few pieces of health from half way across the map just because I was stuck in their fucking bullet tractor beam

The Support is the worst shit ever though. A level 3 Firebase can take down any other class without a fight, and if it is being healed then everyone is pretty much boned. If you even get close to it the Support will start bombarding you with Airstrikes, and if you manage to survive that the Firebase will pick you off immediately. The Support also has some insane armor for his class type too. I've encountered Supports specced out with a Gold Armor endorsement that I could only barely take down at close range with a Tank. Personally, I think something is wrong when a combat class has trouble taking out the Support.
    HiraH4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HiraH4x
    After playing the game for a few hours, and not playing against terrible/people unfamiliar with the game, I now realize my entire opinion of the tank is turned on it's head. When I first started playing I guess I was really only fighting CQC 1v1s.

@LordXavierBritish:    I still believe the tank to be a very good all-around class, though. I've been playing more of a support/ambush role in my party. Normally picking off bots and softening players with the rail gun (which I've even been using very successfully as a sniper), then baiting them in for a jet gun or charge. My tactics normally revolve around wall hugging and peak-shooting, much like a sniper and deploying all of my cool downs to manage 1 to 2 kills. After which, I retreat, deploy turret mode, heal, and re enter combat with less down time than just passive regen. IMO, the deployable turret is far from useless. That goes for the charge as well. I've been using the charge very successfully as a quick escape around a corner. When paired with the perk that decreased cooldowns at gold, I very often have enough time to reenter combat with a charge.

@LordXavierBritish:  Support I find to be extremely annoying as well. Firebase has insane damage output at level 3. Even the support's shotty can do some ridiculous damage when it's close range.
    PeepingTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By PeepingTommy

I've heard people saying every class is overpowered. When will it end? 

Personally I like the assault. I love his grapple and the jet pack is useful for getting into the opp base during overtime.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Mighty

Assasin will off him quick.
    GodSlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By GodSlam

I'm going to list what I feel are the OP (overpowered) attacks and such from each class. 

Assault - This class can keep a good distance and still do decent damage. Not so OP, but the main thing is their Charge. And when upgraded to level 3 it becomes an insane grapple move that can easily knock you out of the arena. 

Tank - Their health is high and with custom armor they are completely beast. They also have a Charge attack that does substantial damage. Fully upgraded grenades are also quite powerful and when they cluster usually kill anything within range. 

Support - This class at first isn't OP at all. Very weak it would seem, until you upgrade the Air Strike ability. This ability is very, very strong. It can kill anything in it in one hit (besides Jackbots). Their turrets are also quite powerful and the shotgun, though it has quite a short range, is very strong and can destroy Assassins ans Soldiers. 

Assassin - This class' cloak is somewhat annoying, but can still be seen. Dash plus cloak is pretty strong, but still not too OP. Their assassination/grapple move coupled with lunge is very, very strong though. Basically a two-hit KO for any class that meets her in a dark alley. 

Gunner - The gunner is somewhat balanced, but still a bit too powerful with the dual miniguns. This plus crit is very strong and can mow down most enemies. Also with extended clips, he basically shoots forever and with a quick reload it's hard to fight him off. 

Sniper - I hate this class and yet this class is prolly the weakest one. The strongest thing is their headshots which is pretty legit for a sniper class in a game. The traps and stuff can get annoying, but they don't make me hate the sniper.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SteamPunkJin

To be honest every class feels slightly over-powered and therefore it balances out.  Depending on what you're playing and who you're going up against it's generally a pretty one-sided fight unless you get someone or some bots to intervene.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BionicMonster

The only tweaks i can think of to make it more balanced would be would probly be to make the firebase a little bit weaker (maybe make the max level 2 for firebases) and reduce the supports base health a tiny bit.

MrChuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrChuckles

Only balance changes in my opinion that would be fair is slightly lowering firebase health, and a bit more damage to sniper skills, but really I think grapple could be changed for something else. Maybe a tracer shot that increases damage taken? Not that the sniper comes across as the team player, but he does always complain about no one following plans and shit.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @MrChuckles said:
    " Only balance changes in my opinion that would be fair is slightly lowering firebase health, and a bit more damage to sniper skills, but really I think grapple could be changed for something else. Maybe a tracer shot that increases damage taken? Not that the sniper comes across as the team player, but he does always complain about no one following plans and shit. "
    Sniper is one of two classes that can Grapple the Jackbots, don't take it away.
    PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By PK_Koopa

Do we really need a topic whenever we think that a class might be over powered? At first I thought some classes were over powered, but as I played more I realised that either I sucked or I was playing as the class I thought was over powered and the enemy sucked. You just need to learn a playing style or technique to beat em.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By infininja
    @Damien:  The charge move is amazing for escaping when you know you can't close the gap to your opponent. I run with gold skill recharge so by the time they close the gap to me I'm ready to slam into them again.

Then again, I find the deploy fairly useless.

@SteamPunkJin:
    Ha, I've never tried grappling a Jackbot as a sniper, but I don't play him very often.

The sWord is very effective.
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Damien
    @LordXavierBritish:  Yeh, the medic is a tough match for a tank (and any other class that has to get close to kill), especially if they use their airstrikes.  They have a big target to try to lob the airstrike marker on.  A tip for the firebase is to get a sniper with level 3 explosive rounds.  That's usually how I get rid of a firebase real quick.  I've found it's the best way.
    Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jemenez
    @Empirepaintball said:
    " Assasin will off him quick. "
    No.
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Damien

Well this should definitely end this notion quick.  

From the MNC official forums, "After investigation we found a minor bug that has it do full damage all the time. It has been added to our 'to be fixed' list."  

This is regarding the Tank's Death Blossom.  According to a video on Inside XBox, the damage done by the death blossom is supposed to be relative to the amount of ammo left in the jet gun clip.  This was brought up on the forums and found to be incorrect due to an error.  It was doing full damage regardless of ammo left.  So when they change this, it will be a pretty big nerf for tanks.  Sad.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By infininja
    @Damien said:
    " Well this should definitely end this notion quick.  

From the MNC official forums, "After investigation we found a minor bug that has it do full damage all the time. It has been added to our 'to be fixed' list."    This is regarding the Tank's Death Blossom.  According to a video on Inside XBox, the damage done by the death blossom is supposed to be relative to the amount of ammo left in the jet gun clip.  This was brought up on the forums and found to be incorrect due to an error.  It was doing full damage regardless of ammo left.  So when they change this, it will be a pretty big nerf for tanks.  Sad. "
    :\ Gotta admit I'm a bit upset about that. I know the death blossom is a bit of an easy button, but it already doesn't do a lot of damage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.