Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Demo Woes

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Kinarion

I picked up the Monster Hunter Tri demo yesterday, read the included "manual" at work, and popped it in when I got home.  After about an hour of sitting down with it, I still found it absolutely impenetrable.   There are items without apparant description, and classes the same.  I have no idea what I'm doing, or  how I'm supposed to be doing it.  

Can anyone offer any advice on how to explore/use this demo?  Because right now I can't imagine I'm getting a real impression of what the full game will be.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you go to the in game menu and choose to view items then it should have a list of your items as 3 pages and text saying press a button for a description of the highlighted item. You can't check what they do if you're simply browsing through the item to be used. But the items are mostly self explanatory anyway. Potions for health, cooked meat (steaks?) for stamina, flashbombs are flashbombs, knives are throwing knives, torch is for dark areas, some meat I forget what kind is to paralyse the monster if you can get it to eat it, sharpening stones are to sharpen your weapon when it goes blunt (you get a pop up message to know, and your strikes will often deflect as well) etc. If it has first aid kits and rations (I forget) then they work as potions and meat respectively, though they're consumed much faster than eating. Other items you find may be useless in the demo, to be used for the creation of other stuff in the full game, but such items won't even be shown when you browse through the usables, and only show up in the item list through the menu as explained in the first sentence.

Most items in the demo aside from health potions and shaprening stones can be considered 100% optional, you can complete the hunts without using anything else, it's just to make it slightly easier that it gives you a healthy supply of items, and to check out a couple of functions like fishing that aren't really useful in the demo (though I think you can fish some fish that can be used as sharpening stones from that area). Also, paintballs are useless in the demo, they're normally thrown to track a fleeing monster in the mini map, but the demo has that icon enabled all the time.

What else are you having a problem with? A good newbie weapon is the sword and shield as it leaves you quite mobile and able to use items without sheathing your weapons first. Try to replicate this guy's tactics and it will click eventually, you'll play much better than him, aiming your strikes better, dodging all the attacks, and shield bashing it much more than he does causing more stuns. You can also maybe paralyse it if you get it to eat the meat, or if you throw enough paralysing knives at it, I forget what supplies it gives you, giving you some free seconds of attacks while it's immobile.

Once you can consistently beat the Dos Jagi (sword and shield is the weakest weapon but you can hit fast with it so it shouldn't even take 5 mins eventually) try a couple of other weapons, their tactics differ a lot, then try the other boss, Qurupecco, it's much tougher. For the basics, If another boss monster comes to help it, throw a dung bomb on the Qurupecco, it will stink and make the other monster leave. You can also throw a sonic bomb to hurt its ears and make it stop the call for help when it's using it. If you also break its beak it won't be able to self heal. so strike the head consistently and it will break eventually.
    Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Kinarion
    @Al3xand3r: That's amazing, thank you so much.

After beating my head against the demo, I've managed to get some sort of handle on it and completed both quests.  Right now I'm favoring the Long Sword, but can't seem to unlock the full red spirit gauge yet.  The Quropeco is beatable, but still takes a long time.  I defeated it with less than three minutes remaining on the clock last time.

After getting into the Demo, I love what I've seen so far.  I've pre-ordered, and my goal is to take down the Rathian and the Quropeco in the same hunt before the game's launch date, but that dragon is a beast.

My big concerns right now are for the online community.  Do you know where I can find other players and information about the game?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Glad you're enjoying it, and yes the long sword is really good. Well, all weapon types are after you understand their quirks. Just instead of only rolling out of the way as with the sword and shield, you need to use the slash dodges instead. It has various moves that do a slash and then a leap to left or right or back depending on how you did the move, you need to master that, feels good too. I dunno about finding players before the game is out, capcom unity perhaps? As for game information, what do you need to know? Look at past threads from myself and others in this board or ask me. This Unite thread may work too for general series information. Here's a video with the longsword beating the Jagi, similar to that sword and shield video.

But I imagine you got the basics down since you beat the Qurupecco. Btw the game mostly gives 50 minutes per quests, not like the demo's 20, and of course gives you plenty enough time to carve the monster for its parts after you defeat it. And yeah, later monsters do need that long, at first at least.

After you have the hang of it, if you're using the classic controller, I actually recommend trying the remote+nunchuck setup. It can take some getting used to but it has some very convenient and intuitive shortcuts that work wonders for some weapons, like tilting the remote left, or right, then pressing the attack button, to do the slash and left, or right, dodge moves with the longsword. Or holding it up then pressing the attack button to do the charging attack with the great sword.
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Genjai
    @Al3xand3r:
    Those videos are helpful, as are the advice. ...still having trouble though. I haven't tried playing with a gamecube controller yet (no classic), but the remote has actually seemed difficult to me.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't think it supports the GC controller (but I'm not sure). Just try to get used to the buttons, try messing around in the first area, first the basic controls of running around, dodging, choosing items, turning the camera, then unsheath your weapon and work with those controls similarly.

Try these vids too, they're for the Japanese release but shouldn't need translation.

Lance. Greatsword. Longsword. Hammer. Bowgun (Heavy). Switch Axe. Basic controls.

If practice fails consider the Tri + Classic Controller Pro bundle.
    Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Genjai
    @Al3xand3r:  @Kinarion:

I'll give it a try. I've been planning on getting the Classic Controller Pro for some time now. I'm really just deciding on whether to get it in Monster Hunter for $10 less or separately for full price.

Edit: All right, I've had a similar experience to Kinarion. I spent some more time with the demo and the sword and shield, and I finally beat the Great Jaggi. I attempted the Qurupecco and did fairly well, but died. I finally feel that I will really enjoy this game once the controls aren't so frustratingly foreign to me. So, I think the Classic Controller Pro will work much better.  Also, I like loot - or at least upgrading a character to fight bigger stuff. And I usually don't like online gaming, but as an extra feature - which I don't have to pay for - I might even like it.

So... I pre-ordered today :^)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.