Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Initial Shipment Of Monster Hunter Tri Hits More Than A Million

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Article from Capcom-unity:

It's no joke that Monster Hunter is ridiculously huge in Japan. With Monster Hunter Tri releasing this Saturday in Japan, it's showing no signs of slowing down. In fact, the initial Japanese shipment of Monster Hunter Tri has surpassed 1 million units! 

Monster Hunter Tri is the latest entry in the series, and adds fresh new features to the already rich and unique Monster Hunter experience. Beyond the greatly enhanced graphics, the entire world of Monster Hunter has also been expanded. For the first time in the series, you can hunt underwater aquatic beasts. Also, Monster Hunter Tri has been tailored to home consoles by making use of the Nintendo Wii online functionality for multiplayer, implementing a split-screen co-op mode and introducing a new Arena fighting mode. This new entry in the series will bring the strength of the Monster Hunter brand to the Wii, and make use of the unique features of the Wii console.

This is the first third party Wii game to have an initial shipment of over 1 million units in Japan. As a series, Monster Hunter has now surpassed 10 million units shipped.

Thanks to SNOW on Capcom-unity

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Cool, now I want some!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well I don't expect it to go off shelves very fast, like depleting this amount in a few days or something, but yeah, it should sell extremely well, and it's good to have a good supply of it for that reason.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

Less than 40% percent of the stocked solo version of the game have been sold, according to figures from Media Create.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

The last Media Create sales show up to August 2, that means only a weekend of sales for the title. 520,000 sales in a single weekend is not to be sneezed at, I mean, that's technically much better than Nintendo's latest first party behemoth, Wii Sports Resort. Not bad for a platform often accused of not selling third party games. It also boosted Wii sales to over 4x the usual weekly sales (along with the launch of the black Wii). Wii Sports Resort did not achieve that as it caters to existing owners for the most part. It's been mentioned here and here (and now here). So, I don't know where IGN found the "dark side" in these numbers because it's almost half the first shipment, in a matter of only two days. Too much spin.

Edit: Eh, I guess you had seen already since you had a few comments there. We should be getting numbers for Aug 3-9 soon, to see if the sales kept up for the actual week, or if they dropped after the spur of the weekend. I'm confident the initial shipment will have disappeared off shelves.

Edit: The game sold 54.36% of its stock including the Wii bundle, so more than half. There's no reason to separate the stand alone version. That probably means it's more sales than the reported 520,000 copies, perhaps that number doesn't include the bundles and they only counted as Wii unit sales instead. I mean, the shipment was more than a million, 54.36% was sold, it should be over 540,360 sales at the very least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.