Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Is Monster Hunter Tri the game for me ?

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By turbomonkey138

It is coming out in Europe on the 30th of April 

i'm getting it from Play.com 

I really enjoyed Phantisy star online back on the game cube and i've heard people comparing the two ...but has anyone played this game yet ? What is it like ? I saw the quick look but thats only the demo ..

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's nothing like Phantasy Star Online. Some basics for the series can be read here as well as other older posts I've written the last months. Half the game is boss fights, the other half is doing all sorts of activities to prepare for said boss fights. Mostly gathering items, either from monsters you kill, or whatever else would be found in such environments (ore, herbs, mushrooms, fish, insects, rocks, whatever) to combine them into actually useful items like bombs, traps, health or buff potions, better armor and weapons, etc. Then you kill said bosses, get their parts, use them into the creation of even better equipment, rinse, repeat, except you don't really repeat cos the fighting is awesome, very technical and methodical, and just feels damn good when you finally manage to down a beast that seemed impossible before you figured out what equipment you should bring and how to exploit its AI and your own abilities.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I think he is trying to say the structure of the game is like Phantasy Star Online, not so much the actual gameplay man.  If that is the case, he is sorta right. 

I think the problem with that is that PSO came out in 2000 or 2001 or something and it is 2010.  There are simply better games for your online  RPG fix.  Seriously, watch the QL on this site before you buy. 

All that being said, the people who like the game REALLY like the game, so if it has piqued your interest for reasons beyond "everybody in Japan is nuts for this" then check it out.  If you are doing it because you liked a game sorta like it 10 years ago, find something better.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's still nothing like it in the ways that matter, other than the hub city and going out on quests with 4 dudes total (which I mentioned in the linked threads, but that's a superficial similarity). One can love PSO and hate MH and vice versa since their gameplay is vastly different. Of course, one can also love or hate both. As for your advice, neither the PSO nor the MH formulas have been improved by any other games, so he can't find something "better", only something "different" which I guess you like more and pretend that for that reason alone MH has some kind of outdated design. PSO is an action hack and slash lootfest, kind of like sci fi Diablo with less point & click and more of an action game's feel, but still rather siplistic with the emphasis on loot, while MH takes the fighting itself well beyond any online title, and most offline titles, with a simple yet robust and deep system, and excellent monster AI and interactions. Neither formula has been bettered because both franchises are as of yet unique in what they achieve (though SEGA dropped the ball with PSO, while CAPCOM kept improving MH).

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Shadow

Meh.  It's alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.