Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Trailer-o-Gasm

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

I can't fucking wait, this is going to be so insane. Thank you so much CAPCOM <3 !!!

It will be released in Japan this August and it's confirmed for the West for... sometime.

The trailer is ripped from the awesomely awesome official website you can see here...

Update: New trailer.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By keyhunter

It looks the  same as the PSP game, which I'm assuming it is a port of.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Luke

This game's gunna be siiiiiiiiick!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r
    keyhunter said:
    "It looks the  same as the PSP game, which I'm assuming it is a port of."
    Actually, it's the PSP titles that are enhanced ports of the older PS2 games. This is the first true sequel since (hence the simple 3), with all new features like underwater fighting, dark caves requiring torches, a completely new island and monsters, redone graphics and animations for returning monsters, overhaul of the ecosystem and stamina systems, an all new weapon type, more customisable weapons and all new moves and specials for different weapon types or specific weapons of each type, all of which make it look far from "the same" as impressive as the PSP titles are (and I'll probably get Unite for PSP myself). Proper online play also makes a welcome return, alongside a new split screen mode.

That's the gist of it I guess, for those familiar with the series. For those who aren't, this isn't the most suitable thread, and I'm no veteran to teach.

Anyway, moving on. CAPCOM will sell a special version with a monster head for early buyers and a making of DVD with a concert and some unknown "alpha" thing (jp translation). Other than that, there will be a pro version with a classic controller, and the normal game only box.

Of course, we'll probably just get a normal version, and perhaps a classic controller bundle at most... Unless they really wanna push it here.
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Discorsi

should have been on the ps3......

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Godwind
    keyhunter said:
    "It looks the  same as the PSP game, which I'm assuming it is a port of."
    This was originally suppose to be a PS3 game.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Loos awesome, those environments are stunning as is the animation on all those cool looking monsters.

Here's hoping Famitsu score it well and that the recent listing on Capcom US is for real.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Aaah, so the slash axe apparently can be transformed in both an axe or a sword with different moves and abilities each. And the lance can now have shield attacks and counter attacks. Aaawesome.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Black_Rose

I don't know much about the MH games but that looks sweet

bjacobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bjacobs

wait what? the ps2 still isn't dead? christ its hanging on longer than ps1

oh well i have a backwards compatible ps3, so that's cool. looks neat, though i'm totally unfamiliar with the series.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Ho ho ho, you're so funny, that atittude has never before been seen in these or other forums, very original, applause, etc, etc.

Yes, it's a Wii game (as if it wasn't apparent in the website, talk of classic controllers, hyped fact since months ago, TGS, etc), move along now.

Anyway, moving on. I just read they've collaborated with some anime companies to include special weapons, like an Inuyasha long sword, complete with their own moves. Cool fan service, though I wouldn't even recognise them myself, lol.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Endogene

Awesome looking trailer, really makes me want to play it however i am still a bit bitter about the paid online.

Does anyone have any details on how it works? There is only one person i know who will also be getting this and i am not to keen (absolutely despise the idea) on paying for a service just to play with one other person. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Again, "paid online" is not confirmed for 3. The G port has "paid online" as it always did (on PS2 too) and the whole Monster Hunter franchise has always had "paid online" in Japan while it has been free in the West (at least until the PSP games which ditched having any online altogether -- they really don't have online as some people say, and Unite will only allow online through some Hamachi-like service on a required PlayStation 3, if Sony ever brings it over to the West). It remains to be seen how this instalment will be handled.

CAPCOM want to push the franchise more in the West so it makes sense to keep it free for this one, but on the other hand it's far easier to pay for such services nowadays than it was a few years ago (ie, Nintendo Points). We'll just have to wait and see what they decide. Still, it's not unheard of for such games to require a subscription, see the late Phantasy Star Online as one popular example.

You could buy one copy of MH3 and play split screen with that one person. Single player is also a meaty experience of its own, as Western PSP owners would attest to. Or, you can try playing online with strangers, as such games kind of promote that aspect. If it has "paid online" that means the whole system will be CAPCOM's own, ie nothing to do with friend codes and what not, so likely far easier and more intuitive to add new buddies or just play with randoms. Well, even with free online it probably will have CAPCOM's own networking system.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

View it in a different window, save it or whatever, it's too wide to show fully unless you have a very large desktop...

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Hamz

People, let us rejoice in the fact new games are being released and ignore our fanboyish urges.

Now let us pray....Reggie, our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name....

Seriously though knock off the flaming.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By ZombiePie

Can someone explain to me why these games are so popular in Japan? I mean does it strike a cord with Japanese consumer? Do they have a fancy for dragons and level grinding? I mean I understand the latter but what is it, other than the beasties that really sets Monster Hunter apart from other JRPGs that the Japanese are willing to wait for hours in order to play?

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Discorsi

Have you ever played Monster Hunter?  It does not play at all like a typical JRPG.  I have never really played anything like it.  Really good games although I was saddened when I found out that MH3 was not going on either the PS3 or the 360.  Would have been awesome to have an hd monster hunter with good online.

Edit.  Yeah I really enjoy the combat in Mh3 due to it not being point and click and that it isn't auto lockin bullshit.  The camera is not bad, you just have to rememebr to reset the camera.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

There's no real level grinding. Well, you increase your hunter rank. But yeah, you do it in fun ways. Think of it similar to a beat em up. Experienced players who try to master it play very different to newcomers and with different goals. They enjoy the challenge that comes with tough opponents, they don't go all "aw hell, fighting against ZombiePie using Akuma again" or something. It's like that for Monster Hunter's tougher enemies. You do repeat fights against the same monsters to get certain materials for yourself or other party members, but it's in a fun way, not in a clicky clickie click-fest MMORPG sort of way. It takes a lot of thinking, knowledge of your opponent's attacks, your equipment, timing and online teamwork, and I guess what amounts to simply "skill" which is what makes it feel rewarding and keeps people coming back for more. It's not a conventional grind-fest like Korean MMORPGs or JRPGs or even Western Diablo clones or anything of that sort. It's CAPCOM after all, if they know one thing, it's fighting, and the games are expertly balanced despite the immense variety of equipment and enemies. For more, there's my first comment.

There also are a few other activities and mission types to do other than hunting such prey, but it all mostly helps you better prepare for the next hunt, be it picking herbs, mining, cooking, fishing, or of course crafting brand new gear from the materials you've gathered. Never in ridiculous ways like gathering 1000 tons of ore V to give it to faction W for reputation and access to schematics X that cost 5000g and show you how to craft equipment Y after you get 1000 tons of ore Z it needs. It's not ridiculous grinding like that at all, it's not WoW, it's an action game.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By BoG

I've always been interested in this series, just because it looks like there is a lot to do in the world. I've never actually had a chance to play one, though. I may just pick up MH3.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By ZombiePie
    @Al3xand3r: Okay you see this is how forums can actually be helpful, because what you just described actually sounds fun but whenever I see trailers of this game they just don't know how to react. I had no idea what this game or this series was about until today because I have never played the previous titles because I didn't understand what they were about. Seeing how I do have a Wii I'll wait for this game until it comes out.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r
    That's not really describing the game Zombie, I only answered to your questions about grinding and what not. It's not really an RPG. More like a dungeon crawler, without dungeons. All you do is chosen “missions” you don’t explore a vast world (though u can explore within the mission areas) open ended like. You choose what missions (quests) to do. There are a few different types but the “meat” of the game is hunting quests. You hunt bosses like seen here, make new armor and weapons out of materials you get from them, then go hunt bigger more dangerous prey. Rinse, repeat. Except you don’t simply repeat because every monster needs different strategies and every weapon has different strategies in using it, and you have other tools and traps and such on top. Plus, everything else I said in the other comments.

Yeah, we're not getting this edition here (it also has some monster head figurines for the early buyers)... Oh well.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By CowMuffins

What's the new class?

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By eclipsesis

I have to miss this one, unfortunately because i don't have a WII. But i keep thinking about it.
    Just imagine how immersive the can make the game when it makes the move to the playstation 3 *braingasim*

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r
    CowMuffins said:
    What's the new class?
    New weapon type? The slash axe. It's some kind of modular thing that can be used an axe or a sword. What the red dude is wielding in the scan above.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

I'm not sure if this is boxart or some magazine article. It looks like boxart, kinda.

I guess this sword is special to be shown like this. Perhaps it's one of those anime based weapons? I wouldn't know.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By End_Boss
    @Al3xand3r: That first image is, without question, box-art. This game looks good, but reminds me a lot of Phantasy Star Universe. Are they similar?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

There are gameplay explanations in some of my previous comments in this very thread (those with a lot of text instead of many pictures... which is why they're easily missed I guess, hah). But yes, it's quite similar in some practical ways (like there's no overworld area, you just pick a "mission" from the HUB area to pop to with your mates), but waaaaaay more hardcore and player skill based.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187

I played the first Monster Hunter, and while I played the shit out of it, I never felt like I was doing anything super rad.  Just slowly swinging a big ass sword and killing dinosaurs...err...monsters.

I might check out Monster Hunter 3 for something new to jam on, but I just don't think the franchise is for me.  =  /

Nonetheless, the trailer looks pretty damn awesome for Monster Hunter fans!!!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

New trailer, added to 1st post too:

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

Random screens.

More stuff here.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linkyshinks

That icy landscape looks stunningly beautiful, despite a lack of strong textures, it bears testament to how great the art and lighting is.

I played the demo version of the game the other week at a Capcom Monster Hunter "Gathering Hall" in London

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sweet. And yeah this screenshot in particular is excellent.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I just thought of this, how will Capcom be able to fuck you over with an awful camera on the Wii? They won't be able to, I'm buying a Wii for this.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Al3xand3r

With cc the right stick controls the camera, with remote + nunchuck the d-pad on the remote controls it. So, yeah, none of the PSP issues here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.