Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Monster Hunter 3 -vs- WoW

patrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By patrik

Unfortunately I have never played a Monster Hunter game before and I have very little idea of what to expect. Is there some way of comparing MH3 to World of Warcraft (which I've played tons of unfortunately)? Thank you.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

I've played both WoW and MHFU and I can say that no, there isn't. Try this thread where after I finally got my hands on the demo, and then the full game, I discussed a lot of how the gameplay is and explained some of the basics to some other people as I got to understand them myself. Granted that's the PSP game but the Wii title is like an expansion of the same concepts with certain extra features like underwater areas, fighting, new monsters, graphics, altered AI, armor sets, weapon types, etc. The core of the gameplay is more or less the same.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

This tutorial video coupled with some of the information in that thread should be sufficient to get a feel for it:

There are some more tutorials on GT. I suppose the biggest difference is that you can play a lot of the game in single player, and that online play works more like Guild Wars where you have a hub city and can choose a party and go on specific mission areas with, not just wander a wide world with everyone in it. In gameplay, the combat is based on action mechanics with different weapons having different moves, combos, weaknesses, strengths, evasions, blocks, etc, and that the only way to improve your character is not through levelling but though acquiring better gear, most of which you have to find the materials for to make it available. Other than that you can get buffs through cooking special food, potions you make, and all sorts of such things. No magic and such though there are the expected styles of play like melee, ranged, support, etc, though that just depends on your gear and items and your own style, not some kind of class choice. I have some more general gameplay descriptions in this thread, that other link is mostly about controls and such, I didn't remember right. Also, the game looks great :-)
    patrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By patrik

Great! Thanks a lot, I'll check it out. Monster Hunter 3 sure looks very tempting to say the least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.