Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

360 online: A busted crowd of scorpion.

• 59 results
    Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Winger

After being on spring vacation for this entire week of MK9's release I can say the online is not only broken, but entirely made of scorpion players.

I strictly play as liu kang, and out of the 150 matches i've played I have encountered 120 scorpion players, it is ridiculous.

That being said I have a 3-1 win loss and am ranked about 30-40 on the leaderboard, despite giving up playing out of boredom the past two days.

I would like some character variety, and although it is early the 10-minute matchmaking and crippling lag REALLY put me off of MK9 and the game is good, but I'll take SSF4'S great netcoding and painless game finding system over this.

Anybody else feeling this way, or still enjoying all the great single player content packed in, which I enjoyed every minute of.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Gabriel

I was seeing way more Smoke's while PSN was up. 

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Winger

Smoke and Ermac, along with clueless Noob Saibot players surely make up the other 30 matches, due to smokes ease of use and people thinking Ermac and Noob look cool.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By EuanDewar

I don't see anymore Scorpions then I see Ryu/Ken. Maybe thats just me.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Floppypants

I'm about ready to throw my PS3 out a window if PSN doesn't come up soon.  I would have replaced my 360 and bought MK for 360 if I had known PSN would be down this long.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Gabriel
    @Floppypants said:
    " I'm about ready to throw my PS3 out a window if PSN doesn't come up soon.  I would have replaced my 360 and bought MK for 360 if I had known PSN would be down this long. "
    You could play singleplayer stuff, I'm currently working on the Challenge tower. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

I'll never understand these complaints about it taking too long to find matches. Just click join room, and join a room and boom, there you go. You can get into matches instantly.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @CL60 said:
    " I'll never understand these complaints about it taking too long to find matches. Just click join room, and join a room and boom, there you go. You can get into matches instantly. "
    Depends on your ISP and your area, honestly. I live in a rural area and for some games it can be hard to find a match. Some games it can be harder still to join lobbies. Games like Call of Duty I never have issues with, but smaller titles or niche titles like Street Fighter? Sometimes it's a real pain in the ass.

The problem stems from end users not recognising it's probably their connection and/or area.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Rockdalf
    @CL60 said:
    " I'll never understand these complaints about it taking too long to find matches. Just click join room, and join a room and boom, there you go. You can get into matches instantly. "
    Why didn't I think of that?
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I feel exactly this way. It's a bummer. Scorpion is the introductory character, so it makes some sense. But really. 

And Smoke players just spam that teleport punch. Smoke's one of the most fun characters to straight-up brawl with, but when people just turtle and teleport the whole match, it's a real pain. 

But, yes, the netcode/lag has seriously hampered my enjoyment of this game online, which might otherwise be my go-to Xbox Live game. 
    Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Winger
    @CL60 said:

I like playing ranked, sure keep playing pointless matches with nothing to show for it.

Games fucking broke, if it isn't fixed its going to die, the netcode needs fixing and the ranked needs ''server lists'' like ssf4.

Also 4-bar connection means 2 sec lag.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60
    @Winger said:
    " @CL60 said:
    I like playing ranked, sure keep playing pointless matches with nothing to show for it.Games fucking broke, if it isn't fixed its going to die, the netcode needs fixing and the ranked needs ''server lists'' like ssf4. "
    You know you get ranked in Player matches too? Except it actually has a lobby you can view where it will show everybody elses rank rather then randomly put you against somebody.
    bogallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bogallow
    @Winger:  But Ermac and Noob do look cool.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

At least you can play online.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chrissedoff

luckily for me i got the game on ps3 so take that, stupid xbots, paying for xbox live when psn is fr....oh...wait...

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By sumbog
    @Gabriel: Ya same, I play Scorpion or Nood Saibot and all I've seen on PSN (when it wasnt broke) is Smoke.

Edit: Though I'm starting to find success with Nightwolf- he seems a pretty easy character so I'd expect to see some him as the game gets older.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By keyhunter

Nothing but Noob, Smoke, and Ermac here. Saw a Baraka and gave him a Babe-ality.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

The Game just came out so obviously, people are going to gravitate to the easy to pick up characters like Scorpion. As the game gets older though, they 'll branch out to other characters. I'm a Kano player primarily so I'm enjoying the Scorpion killing. @Winger said: 

Also 4-bar connection means 2 sec lag.
    Glad I'm not the only one. My "perfect" connection leads to me having a second of lag with every button press.
    jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jasta

Yeah the online is pretty busted, I was playing it all last night and it was just Scorpion, Smoke and Noob.

If a perfect connection lags then god help anyone who gets lower than that.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By McGhee

Now you know how I feel when I play Street Fighter 4 and play nothing but run-away Ryus online.

People have no sense of creativity or a desire for a personal challenge. They all go with the same top tiered easy to execute character, and it makes the overall experience suck ass for everyone else. Just the same shit over and over and over again.
    JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoeMarsden

I haven't seen a single Scorpion.

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By GrandMarshal

Scorpion's hell fire stops people from just blocking the whole match, people online just stand in one spot waiting for you to jump towards them or do a special. I hate the people who turtle

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Moth_Pope
    @Winger: Ermac and Noob do look cool. ;)

Luckily so far I've just been playing private matches with friends online which has been no trouble. I did get a "couldn't connect to server" message when trying to find a ranked match one time though (only tried the once), and I can already imagine the amount of Scorpions who'll be on there. I'm currently trying to learn Stryker and Kitana. Both have been good for me so far. I really like Smoke but for some reason I didn't realise he'd be one of the main guys people use online.
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sameeeeam

Stryker for life.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hockeymask27

Fuck you guys I like using smoke. Also who cares what anyone else uses.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By time allen
    @Winger said:
    "I strictly play as liu kang
    I would like some character variety"
    Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sanious

This is not a surprise what so ever. You're going to get the casual players when the game first comes out. It will all dwindle down in due time and you'll see less and less of it, although it will not be something that goes away. It's kind of the reason why I have stayed away from the online for now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ajamafalous

Like others have said, the game just came out.

Though if the netcode is as busted as this thread indicates, that's a real shame.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zityz

As I would see it.

MK=Scorpion
    SF4=Ken
    DoA4=Ryu
    MVC3= Dante/ Wesker
    KoF= Terry or Iori
    Tekken=Heihachi/Kazuya

Terms of online that is.
    Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
    RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

i'm surprised no one is talking about raiden, he's the first character i really connected with. his flying tackle thing is the best, as he screams something like YOU TOOK MY MONEEEEYYY!!!

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ
    @Winger said:
    " Smoke and Ermac, along with clueless Noob Saibot players surely make up the other 30 matches, due to smokes ease of use and people thinking Ermac and Noob look cool. "
    Noob Saibot? What does that even mean? A few of my Steam friends have variations of that 'phrase' as their name.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Gabriel smoke is the new scorpion
    Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chummy8

I don't really play online since playing fighting games online for me is a lesson in anger management.  I'll stick with the single player and local multi-player against my wife...who as a button masher; will kick my ass. 

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShaggE
    @TEHMAXXORZ said:

" @Winger said:

" Smoke and Ermac, along with clueless Noob Saibot players surely make up the other 30 matches, due to smokes ease of use and people thinking Ermac and Noob look cool. "
    Noob Saibot? What does that even mean? A few of my Steam friends have variations of that 'phrase' as their name. "
    Noob Saibot is a character in "Mortal Kombat", now available on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 home entertainment systems. His name is a reversal of "Tobias Boon", the last names of the creators of the "Mortal Kombat" video game franchise.
    Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mooshu

I play Scorpion because I have a personal childhood connection with seeing a yellow ninja in an arcade machine toss a fucking spear into a guy's chest while shouting catchphrases... not because he's a top tier character.

Does that make me a bad person?

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By YoungFrey

So who should people be playing?  Who is a top-tier character that isn't easy to play?  Personally I never want to play as Sub Zero because I felt his powers were excessively cheesy back when MK one came out.  Although, he did have the best fatality back in the day.  Scorpion, on the other hand,I have no beef with. 
    Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Winger
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " Now you know how I feel when I play Street Fighter 4 and play nothing but run-away Ryus online.

People have no sense of creativity or a desire for a personal challenge. They all go with the same top tiered easy to execute character, and it makes the overall experience suck ass for everyone else. Just the same shit over and over and over again.
    "
    Agreed, I main dudley and barely play a mirror match online, and though it is sometimes dull SSF4's gameplay and online system is top-notch and probably the best in a fighting game we've seen so far.

That being said SSF4 among other capcom fighters lack content, but at the end of the day once I finished the story and challenge tower I'm greeted to a broken online experience that stops the games enjoyment DEAD in its tracks.

Netherrealm is too busy celebrating to fix anything and I'm practically already done with the game, about to get on now and see how everything is going.

I really hope they are watching and listening, the franchise finally got back on its feet from being trashed by the fighting game community, and it doesn't need a dead online two weeks after release.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy

Wow. Really surprised to hear about the bad online. You'd think that would be a top priority for their development, considering it is, you know... a fighting game.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Toms115 said:
    " @Winger said:
    "I strictly play as liu kang
    I would like some character variety"
    "
    So are we all really just fighting ourselves?
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By management
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " Now you know how I feel when I play Street Fighter 4 and play nothing but run-away Ryus online.

"
    The thing is though, that both Ryu and Ken are not top tier in Street Fighter. The top tier in Street Fighter is Akuma, Fei Long and Guile.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dbz1995
    @keyhunter said:
    " Nothing but Noob, Smoke, and Ermac here. Saw a Baraka and gave him a Babe-ality. "
    You saw a Baraka? A Baraka? Really?
    thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thegoldencat7

Doesn't the cursor start on Scorpion. Maybe people are just really, really lazy.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By McGhee
    @Management: Hmm. . . It seems the lists have been changed since I looked at them way back. Ryu use to be top tier. Despite not being top tier on the newer lists I've seen, Ryu still doesn't have any big weaknesses. He has speed, power, and easy combos.
    And all of that still doesn't matter to my biggest point which was that everyone picks Ryu and it is boring playing against the same thing all the time.
    MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrOldboy

I like playing as scorpion, hes a fun character to play as. Shame he's sort of like Ken to me. I like to play as them, but everyone plays them online so I feel I have to play as someone else.

People play him because he's a good character thats fun to play.
    diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By diabloshadow
    @RedEyesBlueBunny: Best, interpretation, of Raiden's scream, ever.
    herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By herreno

I use Smoke but do more then teleport punch. I  throw in the teleport towards and away to fake people out and try bait them into doing something silly ;).

I'll usually switch between him and Kung Lao but i'm going to try figure out Raiden so I can have more options when the other two fail.
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By management
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac: That is true, yes.
    Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Verit
    @Diabloshadow said:
    " @RedEyesBlueBunny: Best, interpretation, of Raiden's scream, ever. "
    Oh gawd yes.

As for online matchups, just been playing the story so far. I enjoy smoke but teleport spamming gets really old. Might try some Liu Kang fun or mess around with Shang Tsung.
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By Belonpopo

Scorpion is such a masher, he is not fun to play at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.