Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

IGN review is up, I don't think it's very good what about you?

• 107 results
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By nintendoeats

Was this written by the same guy that wrote that DS2 review? Because if that scores a 10 on the terrible writing scale, this get's a solid 8.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By striderno9

I haven't played the game yet but I don't read or care for anything IGN does, ever.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    IGNorant.com ...what did you expect?
    Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By EndlessObsidian

"OHHHHH MAH GAWDDDD IGN doesn't seem to like it as much as my man god Mr. Gerstmann. No one can write as perfectly as him!" 

IGN is lame
    IGN is stupid
    I don't visit IGN
    "If only these people at other publications had the same thoughts as us and could write as well us."

Don't get me wrong I LOVE me some Giant Bomb but I'm tired of these threads.

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By DrMcKittrick

Nobody said anything about MK being the new definitive fighter.  But why don't I compare the reviews if I may:

MVC3:  Presentation
     "The game struggles the most here, lacking the extra polish outside of the core gameplay. True alternate costumes, more characters, more variety and depth for modes needed."  7.5

MK: Presentation
     "The story is entertaining but cheesy. You can’t skip or pause the cutscenes -- isn’t it 2011? " 6.0

Are you fucking kidding me?!?! You back this up?

MVC3: Graphics
    " In going for a comic book visual style, Capcom has stripped away some detail. Strong, but not the greatest. I do miss the animated look of the past game."  8.5

MK: Graphics
     "Much of the art style is still “stuck in 1992,” as our own Arthur Gies described it. Character models themselves look respectable and the environments are awesome. "   7.5

So Capcom has stripped away some detail but MK is still stuck in 1992.  Really?  You don't have to be playing the game to see that is completely untrue.

MVC3: Sound
    " Effective for what it needs to be. Sound effects are great. Voices are actually quite good. Love the “Take You for a Ride” remix. "  8.0

MK: Sound
    " Incredible sound design when it comes to special effects. Voice acting is surprisingly good, if not a little over the top. Music is fitting but not as strong as the effects. " 9.0

It's almost like they're saying the same exact thing about both games.  But for once MK gets a point over MVC.  Lets continue.

MVC3: Gameplay
    " In some ways Capcom plays it a little safe, but this is still ridiculously addicting stuff. The character roster, though smaller, is diverse and balanced."  9.0

MK: Gameplay
    " Great combat system that’s best enjoyed with a friend locally. Online multiplayer works but was sluggish by comparison. Aggravating single-player imbalances. "

So lets dock a point from MK because he's loosely saying MP is sluggish and has no idea of how the MK bosses have always been fought.  MP isn't even mentioned for MVC3, anywhere.  There's latency issues with it too.  And Capcom plays it safe but it's still addicting, while MK caters to fighters of all degrees with this release.  Hmmm.

MVC3: Lasting Appeal
    " Hurt by a lack of diversity in its modes, the core fighting experience here will still keep you coming back over and over again. "   7.5

MK: Lasting Appeal
    " Ridiculous amount of content to unlock, including costumes, Fatalities, special codes, art, and more. Mortal Kombat's longevity will depend on how the community reacts to it. "   8.5

All is good but why don't we speak about the many modes that MK has?  What about the core MK experience?  True he gave MK a point over MVC but if anybody has any brains and knows about the series even with the recent releases of MK it clearly deserves a 9 or 9.5 on this one. 

I'm willing to give all aspects a pass but the score on the presentation, which to me is why I point out that IGN has become incompetent.  I'm not here to debate the greatness of MVC3 because I truly believe it to be an excellent game.  However,  I'm not blind and can clearly see the fanboyism that IGN has over Capcoms fighters when you give a game a 6 because you can't skip the cut scenes and complain that the story is cheesy.  Name one fighter who's story mode isn't and if you cant then give them all a 6.  Also putting in alternate costumes, characters, etc in MVC3 presentation but not in MK's is ridiculous.  But like I said, the fanboys are at their best here.

And I can't wait to get the game.  As soon as Best Buy opens I'll be there to get the Tournament Edition for the PS3 if they have it.  And I won't miss out like the other homer fanboys at IGN since I was actually able to see a review by someone who actually knows what they're talking about, not that I wouldn't have bought the game anyway regardless. 

I love both games for what they are.  I'm just here commenting on the incompetency of IGN and how it's gotten worse over the last few years.  I'm glad I let my subscription run out.

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Hzaife

Why would you take an IGN review seriously? the only reviews worth a damn these days are from Giantbomb, 1UP and Gametrailers in my opinion.

GT and GB put some real effort into the video reviews and they have a good length to them explaining alot, IGN on the otherhand put nowhere near as much into their reviews.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By recroulette

I thought people read reviews to find out what different people thought about a game, not to validate their purchase.

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Hzaife

Exactly, never base your purchase on a review! its just an opinion at the end of the day

But some outlets do it better than others

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By OneManX

... why are people comparing it to MvC3?

The only similarity between both games is that they are both fighters, and that is about it. These games couldn't be any more different, so to try to grade them ont he same level is pretty dumb. 

8.0 is still a good-great score and most, if not all, people here are gonna buy the game anyway, so what does this matter? it's an opinion and as long as the reviewer backs up their opinion I have no problem.
    PopeAnonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By PopeAnonymous

He sounded like he wanted to score it much lower than that.  Oh well, what can you do?  Opinions vary.  Gamespot gave God Hand, (my GOTY when it came out) an 8.0 score and said it was great fun.  IGN gave the same damn game a 3.0 and said it was trash equatable to Big Rigs.  Different folks, different strokes.  I agreed with the review by Kasavin at GS, and IGNs opinion didn't stop me from enjoying the game, and I still fire it up every now and then to this day.  Still the only game with a spanking move.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By WickedCestus

I don't really care about what they're saying about the game, but that review was just horribly written. 

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By StealthRaptor

I haven't played the full game yet, but with most games you're able to pause by hitting the guide button even if "start" won't do it.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Floppypants

All you have to do is look at our MK v SF poll and you'll see that there are people out there who think MK is just cheese.  Cheesy story, cheesy characters, cheesy fatalities.  Their Japanese fighting game of choice is a fine wine, where MK is Kool-Aid.

IGN gave MK's story a 6.0.  I have to wonder what he was expecting, Heavy Rain?  I feel bad for the people interested in MK but decide to turn it down after reading his review.

tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By tracerace11

Only reason I go to IGN now is for news articles.  Now that GB has a news editor, once he gets his feet under him, I could see my visits there go from once every two weeks, to possibly once every month or so.  They just aren't what they used to be, but I still go for nostalgia's sake.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By christ0phe
    @RE_Player92: Just because Jeff doesn't "voice those complaints" doesn't mean the guy is right or wrong.  Jeff is not the end all of video game reviewing.  He has his opinion, and the ign guy has his opinion as well.  While I do agree the ign review was rushed and poorly written, your concern that Jeff didn't find the same complaints as him is ludicrous 
    Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By Seroth

Still waiting on the game to show up at my door, so I haven't played it yet, but the review seemed..inadequate. It still got a high score, so that's good, I guess, but Clements didn't really go into detail about all the different modes of play. No mention of King of the Hill or the Krypt or Challenge Tower...these are big parts of the game, you know?
    And the presentation looks amazing from what I've seen. The seamless transition from cutscenes to fights in story mode, especially. From what I read from Jeff's review is that you can't skip or pause cutscenes because it's loading the next fight in the background. I would take seamless transitions over having to watch a load screen.

I wish he had elaborated more on the "stuck in 1992" comment. I don't really understand that one. Is it because it re-uses visual concepts from MK2? Is that really a bad thing? It's not like they ripped the 2D background picture of the Dead Pool and put it as a stage (though that would be a hilarious bonus). They totally redid all that stuff as a throwback to the fans. I guess Clements isn't an MK-fan.

At least Clements made good note of the sound design.

In the end, the game at least got a good score. This wasn't another "2.0 Deadly Premonition Review." >=[
    Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Seesic

I didn't think it was a too horrible of a review, most people know what to expect of a Mortal Kombat game but he still had to write something. Yeah giving a fighting game story a 6 is weird, but if you compare it to Tekken's usual crazy stories for each character maybe it's a bit lackluster, though isn't "cheesy" the point? All in all, eh its a fighting game review.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Gabriel

Have you guys ever heard Ryan Clements talk, dude should not be reviewing an MK game. 

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69  Edited By Chokobo

Poorly written.  Bare-bones.  Not very descriptive.  Also, lol @ giving a 6 for presentation for not allowing to pause in cutscenes.  Come on now.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Bestostero

I doubt anyone would take that review seriously, but shame to anyone who turns down MK because of it. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He gave the presentation a 6 because the story wasn't good enough... it's a fucking fighting game, I mean come on. They also criticize the visual style for reminding them of "1992", even though this is a throwback game.

It rubs me the wrong way because they gave SF4 free passes for all these things.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Grissefar
    @Gabriel said:
    " Have you guys ever heard Ryan Clements talk, dude should not be reviewing an MK game.  "
    Good argument. It also helps that you try and write like Ryan talks. I mean Ryan Davis.
    Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Driam

Aren't IGN the ones who ran a 3.0 review of God Hand by a dude who later confessed to only have played the first level?

Campagna007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Campagna007

All of the reviews I've been reading have been great...except for IGN's. That's the case with a lot of games I look up. I tend to avoid IGN for the most part because their review style doesn't match my taste for gaming usually. I'd just ignore it and look elsewhere. 5 out of 5 stars here!

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

There's been a lot of 90+ reviews. 

Also, OPINIONS!!!
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#76  Edited By CL60

6.0 for presentation because he couldn't pause the cutscenes? WHAT?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By onarum

pro tip, ignore IGN.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By phantomzxro

i don't really have a problem with the review and I think he scored it fair. I would have given it a bit of a higher score. But i don;t understand why everyone feels like they have to pull a review apart. If the game got a great rating i don't see how the things he point off as bad points rubb you the wrong way so badly. It was his problem with the game it may not be yours. I think i would be more worried of jeff's review because everyone knows he loves MK and everyone knew it was going to get 5 stars. I would have bet my life on MK getting 5 stars from jeff without even blinking.

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By WEGGLES
    @onarum said:
    " pro tip, ignore IGN. "
    IGNore

I'm so clever.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By phantomzxro
    @Hzaife said:
    "Why would you take an IGN review seriously? the only reviews worth a damn these days are from Giantbomb, 1UP and Gametrailers in my opinion.GT and GB put some real effort into the video reviews and they have a good length to them explaining alot, IGN on the otherhand put nowhere near as much into their reviews. "

I would respectfully disagree but i feel this hate for ign is just stupid. You follow sites that share your opinions and you don't need to bash other sites. Also i think people are forgetting the same person does not review every game so you just can't wildly compare every review like ign is one person.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#81  Edited By apathylad
    quinistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By quinistheman
    @phantomzxro said:
    Also i think people are forgetting the same person does not review every game so you just can't wildly compare every review like ign is one person. "
    True, but therer is a bar set by the higher-ups that seems to be falling all the time. I used to go to IGN quite a bit but their "personalities" seem more concerned with impressing each other than doing good work.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Bestostero

If you think IGN's review was bad, just wait till you see these....

sad world lol

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#84  Edited By TechHits

Wow I didn't realize GB had so many haters. Why are people reading a review from a site that they hate, for a game they know that they are going to buy?

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By phantomzxro
    @quinistheman said:
    " @phantomzxro said:
    Also i think people are forgetting the same person does not review every game so you just can't wildly compare every review like ign is one person. "
    True, but therer is a bar set by the higher-ups that seems to be falling all the time. I used to go to IGN quite a bit but their "personalities" seem more concerned with impressing each other than doing good work. "

I would still have to disagree the only problem i could put on ign is a lot of known and loved  editors have moved on and that is a problem all gaming sites face. When new people come on broad it their opinion, i don't like everyone in ign and i know which reviewer i need to stay away from and which to take with a cup of suger. As much as people want to defend giantbomb their site is no different in that respect. their was no wuestion in my mind that MK was going to get 5 stars. Is that a good thing or bad thing i don't know. But jeff was almost locked into giving this game that score because he gave MK vs DC the same score in which i feel is a worse game.

Now i could sit here and compare those reviews and make a strong agrument of why jeff is biased and how his review is more unfair then the ign review but i'm not. Because it does you no good to compare reviews like that. Some people miss the point of a review sometimes it there to tell you if its a good game and you buy it and enjoy yourself.  But i digess,  i'm not here to tell anyyone ign is great but it gets old when people try to paint them as the bane of video game reviews.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Cameron

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but you have to keep in mind that IGN is a mainstream gaming site. They aren't reviewing this game for hardcore fighting game fans, they are reviewing it for the average gamer.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By churrific
    @xhavoc86 said:

" If you think IGN's review was bad, just wait till you see these....

6.1sad world lol "

Hmm. I never heard of that website before, but you know what? Not saying those are great reviews, but those are better than IGN's at least. At least they seem to be reviewing the game for hardcore fighting fans and breaking down the actual fighting system. Once you get past the gory theatrics and extra content, how does the actual fighting system hold up over a longer period of time? Esp. compared with a SFIV. They go on to bring up a couple good points here and there about lack of depth, wooden movement, etc. Stuff that I've always thought of in past years as I tried to play MK games, but ultimately kept me on SF games. I can see why they gave such low scores. They just don't think MK has changed enough to come out from under the boot of hardcore SF fans.
    ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ozzdog12
    @RE_Player92: Ign is garbage here is why
    1. They support Communism
    2. If its a fighting game and it isnt made by Capcom,they think its crap regardless of how good it really is
    3.  IGN is run by a bunch of robotic drones that support Communism 
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#89  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I gave up on IGN a while back.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Lautaro
    @xhavoc86 said:

6.1sad world lol "
    Do you not know what an opinion is? I like how straightaway everybody agrees with Jeff (the guy who unabashedly loves the franchise) but questions every single other review as if they are making shit up.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By TwoOneFive

i feel like he didnt even play the single player. he just wrote it off and said it sucked compared to other fighting games...

uh...

what!?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TwoOneFive

and the fact that he uses the word cheesey over and over its very amatuerish. i mean come on, cheesey? bro, its MORTAL KOMBAT. Didnt know you were expecting a fucking masterpiece. and whats the point of play a story mode if youre just going to skip the whole story (aka cutscenes)

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Bestostero
    @Lautaro said:
    " @xhavoc86 said:

6.1sad world lol "
    Do you not know what an opinion is? I like how straightaway everybody agrees with Jeff (the guy who unabashedly loves the franchise) but questions every single other review as if they are making shit up. "
    Do you??? Cause that was just my opinion on that review. :)
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Damian
    @Cameron said:
    " I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but you have to keep in mind that IGN is a mainstream gaming site. They aren't reviewing this game for hardcore fighting game fans, they are reviewing it for the average gamer. "
    Then it seems they got the right man for the job.

Having played a TON today, I'd say the review is pretty accurate, but I'd take his comments about it being "typical MK" and "stuck in 1992" with large grains of salt. He doesn't seem too familiar with MK or fighters in general.
    My only gripe after reading it ('cause OP asked) is that his criticisms are mostly centered around the story mode, which is odd since the way this game handles its story blows other competitive products out of the water in that regard.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I felt like the review was really short. Like it wasn't really giving me that good of an impression of what the game really has to offer. Mostly just senseless nitpicking.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By striderno9

Giantbomb, Game Informer, and Edge are the only reviews I really pay attention to. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Driam said:
    " Aren't IGN the ones who ran a 3.0 review of God Hand by a dude who later confessed to only have played the first level? "
    Holy shit, now that part I never heard.

Seriously, fuck IGN in the fucking ass.

Yeah, 'opinions' are fine but when you claim to be the presenter of an objective truth then these wankers need to do their god damn job and actually cover the whole game for all audiences.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By AlexW00d

I can only imagine it's because Warner didn't pay IGN enough for a good review.

LordKisame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By LordKisame
    @RE_Player92:   I totally agree with you.. When I read the review I feel  misled...
    ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ALavaPenguin

So they give it a lower score on one part cause the story is cheesy?  Clearly this person was not the sort of person that should have been picked to review this game as they apparently didn't understand 50% of the point of mortal kombat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.