Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

IGN review is up, I don't think it's very good what about you?

• 107 results
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1162089p1.html    

My issue with the review are it seems short with some weird focuses. A whole paragraph dedicated to not being able to pause the cutscenes, complaining to your fellow editors about story events that pit you against 2 characters and bosses being stronger than you... I dunno it rubbed me the wrong way. I haven't played the game either than the demo but Jeff didn't voice these complaints so I'm a bit bewildered. What about you guys? Is it just me or is this review off? 
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Ineedaname

I've not played it, but isn't there an Arcade mode just for those who don't want the story and cut scenes?

Or are there major set piece battles that make the story mode worth going through. My point is if you want to skip cut scenes can't you just go in Arcade mode?

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By ricetopher

Do we really need threads about reviews?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1
    @ricetopher: I thought it would spark some discussion. If this isn't allowed or people don't like it feel free to flag it so mods can lock it. It wasn't my intention to clutter the forums with unnecessary topics so if people deem it to be stupid I have no problem with it being locked. 
    bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bravetoaster
    @ricetopher said:
    " Do we really need threads about reviews? "
    It's not like the OP is raging about the score. He simply wants to know what everyone thinks about the review.
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By LackLuster

These complaints seemed relativity minor to the overall package of what seems to be a great game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

seems that 6 for presentation brought down the score alot.   Don't know what he was looking for there if his only comment is that he didn't think the story was strong enough.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By theveej

I dunno about sp imbalances and stuff, I haven't played the game yet and can't comment on it. (but if his gripes are bosses being hard then dude has never ever played a fighting game, imagine a fighting game with cheap bosses OMG WHATS HAS THE WORLD COME INTO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH)
    also I don't get this line  " The story is weak compared to other recent, non-MK video game efforts" wtf does this mean? is he comparing it to mass effect (lol cmon its a fighting game). MK games usually have better story than most fighting game (Tekken is good too) and if the story mode is  even as good as MKvsDC then again this dude has never played any fighting game cause MKvs DC had probably the best story of a fighting game I have ever played. 

but I don't get how the graphics gets a 7.5..... " Much of the art style is still "stuck in 1992"  WTF does that mean, I read the whole review and it was never said anything about the graphics so I don't get it. Graphics looks legit to me......

Anyway I'm sure IGN has some good reviewers, and this guy has probably some good reviews; but I stopped visiting IGN for anything years ago for a reason. 

As a MK fan, and a person who has played every single MK game except special forces, I trust Jeff's assessment on MK games.  DUDE knows MK, I don't agree with everyone of his reviews ( I still hate him for recommending UC2 for xbox, 40  bucks gone and I waited for amazon to ship it for 3 weeks! And I swear the only reason he gave the game a good review was cause Raiden was in it) but god damn it does that man know his MK. 
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By vidiot

Why is it, that each time I hear/read anything about IGN these days: It's from other websites and forums, and those people are complaining about the quality of a review.

Seriously. That's all I read about IGN these days:
    The last thing I read, was that they started a new segment that editors have to defend themselves from user comments. What other website has to do that? I've known they're been going down-hill for years, but what gives? Are they that bad?

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By TJ311

i HAVE played the game and beat the story. i really like Ryan Clements, i listen to BEYOND! (ign playstation podcast) and think hes a smart guy, but calling MK's story cheesy rubbed me the wrong way. i wouldnt call MK's story bad or good but i wouldnt call it cheesy.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vidiot said:
    " Why is it, that each time I hear/read anything about IGN these days: It's from other websites and forums, and those people are complaining about the quality of a review.

The last thing I read, was that they started a new segment that editors have to defend themselves from user comments. What other website has to do that? I've known they're been going down-hill for years, but what gives? Are they that bad? "
    Certainly seems that way. 
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Dizzyhippos

a lot of ign reviews seem to be weirdly unfocused lately. But whateves still seems like a cool game

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slaker117

I don't know what his thought process was when writing the review and I haven't touched the game yet, but to me it looks like he approached it the wrong way.

A fighting game is all about the gameplay. The core of the review and the score should be based on that. If it's fun and balanced with a full cast of interesting fighters, that should put it around a 7, for acceptable. On top of that, versus features are probably the next most important thing. MK seems to have a good variety game modes and is structured well. To me, these two things alone would put the game at an 8 on the standard review scale. Add in the bounty of unlockables, slick presentation, story mode that's worth a damn, challenge tower, and I say it probably puts the game in range of the top 10% of the scale. Gripes about those aspects are understandable, but given that it's all icing on a solid foundation, I think it warrants a higher score.

Not that it matters. The dude is entitled to his own opinion, and it's not an invalid one. Those are simply my thoughts on how I think the review process for this game should work. While I haven't played to game myself, I have seen a lot, and I mean a lot, of the game played, so I don't feel my views are totally unfounded, and will be purchasing anyway. Also, the art style comment seemed dumb. I want MK to be stuck in the '90s. Why wouldn't you?

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By phrosnite

IGN are lame... don't visit that web site.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CptBedlam

It's IGN ... of course it's horse shit - no matter what score they slap under their pathetic attemps at writing.

I do love some of their reviews just for the comedic value though ... like for example the Dead Space 2 review - pure comedy gold.

@RE_Player92:  Why do people constantly feel the need to discuss the shitty quality of IGN? It's pure crap - just ignore that site and don't create even more pageviews for them by posting links to their reviews around the net. Just stop visiting that shitsite.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Yanngc33

YOU CAN'T PAUSE THE CUTSCENE???????????????????? FUCK THIS SHIT PREORDER CANCELLED

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kjellm87

Every game has its oddball reviews, that's easy to see on metacritc.
    If you're interested, buy the game and enjoy it.

hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#18  Edited By hostile
    @Kjellm87 said:
    " Every game has it's oddball reviews, that's easy to see on metacritc.If you're interested, buy the game and enjoy it. "
    It's funny because I would say Jeff here is the one with the oddball review because I know him as a guy that loves Mortal Kombat.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phrosnite
    @Hostile said:
    " @Kjellm87 said:
    " Every game has it's oddball reviews, that's easy to see on metacritc.If you're interested, buy the game and enjoy it. "
    It's funny because I would say Jeff here is the one with the oddball review because I know him as a guy that loves Mortal Kombat. "
    G4 gave it 5/5. MK will get plenty of 5/5s
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slaker117
    @Hostile: True, he did also give MKvsDC five stars while the consensus was much lower, but, from the early reviews at least, IGN does seem to be low-balling it. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. My feeling is the Metacritic will be reading in the high 80s by the end of the day.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I was told Ryan, who wrote the review, had this mystical thing called an opinion. I was also told they were banned long ago when internet reviews and comments sections were created. A shame isn't it...

As a quick side note. I said it before and I'll say it again (and I'm not directing this at the OP), I love it when people say they hate X, but never stop talking about it. "Yo dawg, I hate IGN, but I read all their reviews." Understandable. I hate ketchup, that's why I put it on all my mothafuckin food.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallen189

If you have a problem with an IGN review, go post about it on IGN. I know on Giantbomb, we think we're better than everyone else, but come on...

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yanngc33 said:
    " YOU CAN'T PAUSE THE CUTSCENE???????????????????? FUCK THIS SHIT PREORDER CANCELLED "
    Lol. 

This thread is over, guys. This thread is over. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you stop visiting them, their web-traffic decreases and they don't make money. They then become forced to increase the quality of their output.

...or they go into administration.

One of the two.
    Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lautaro
    @Fallen189 said:
    " If you have a problem with an IGN review, go post about it on IGN. I know on Giantbomb, we think we're better than everyone else, but come on... "
    Had Jeff given it 4 stars this thread wouldn't even exist imo.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy

Review scores will go down. The first few are always the highest and then when more and more come in the average gets lower. I'm guessing it'll be at about 8/10 when alls said and done... I'll just stick to my Street Fighter

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By McGhee
    @WR311 said:
    " i HAVE played the game and beat the story. i really like Ryan Clements, i listen to BEYOND! (ign playstation podcast) and think hes a smart guy, but calling MK's story cheesy rubbed me the wrong way. i wouldnt call MK's story bad or good but i wouldnt call it cheesy. "
    Yeah, that is a little funny considering that Ryan Clements is a guy that has put 100 hours into Dissidia Final Fantasy.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'd call the MK story cheesy.  But it's just cheesy enough to be really enjoyable and I agree with the GB review 100% on this.  Easily the best story in a fighting game, ever.

Though it does presume you care about the series and characters a little.

If you've got no great love for the series, I can see why the game may only be worthy of a 7.5/10 but equally, I'm not surprised that Jeff gave it a 5/5.
    Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Y2Ken

Having read the review, it seems like a reasonable review. But at the same time, the writing is a little sloppy, and a couple of the things are just straight up wrong.

I suspect this game will be in the 80s on average, as others have said. Seems pretty good though, so I may well pick it up.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho

I haven't played the game yet but I'm positive the review is wrong cus I want it to be wrong!

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Winger
    @vidiot said:
    " Why is it, that each time I hear/read anything about IGN these days: It's from other websites and forums, and those people are complaining about the quality of a review.

The last thing I read, was that they started a new segment that editors have to defend themselves from user comments. What other website has to do that? I've known they're been going down-hill for years, but what gives? Are they that bad? "
    Yeah, they are that bad, they generally reward generic games with good scores, hell they praised Homefront and give CoD games nothing under an 8.5 every year.

I'm sure everyone is hell bent on buying MK at this point, a 2.0 review wouldn't sway me, and jeff and GT made me feel great when I saw that 5 stars and 9.4, not because I needed that to buy the game, i'm just happy that the game seems to be doing well for the MK team.

The single player content alone is enticing, didn't expect it to be THIS good, I can't wait to pick up my copy in a few hours.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i like it

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#33  Edited By MachoFantastico

Question: When did people start taking IGN reviews seriously?

There a joke. 

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bestostero

Well...it's in ballpark...but it isn't as high as I would expect...dont know, dont care its amazing.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By MysteriousBob

Why are you reading IGNs reviews at all?

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By slantedwindows

do we really need a thread to discuss reviews from other sites? if we wanted to discuss them, we'd discuss them there. this thread is obviously you trying to get people to say, "yea i agree with you! asspats all around!"

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By FancySoapsMan

He barely covered any of the SP modes in the game.

It looks more like a summary of the game than an actual review to me.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @TrueEnglishGent said:
    " Question: When did people start taking IGN reviews seriously?There a joke.  "
    *They're.

I seriously just did that.
    thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thecablekid

IGN is such a joke of a review site, I never take anything they say with any sort of credence.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By phrosnite

IGN are idiots. They gave it 7.5 for graphics! What?!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ArchScabby
    @phrosnite said:
    " IGN are lame... don't visit that web site. "
    This is giantbomb, so you can expect this response for any site that isn't giantbomb from a lot of the people on here.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Grissefar

The game was reviewed by a guy who did... wait for it... NOT... I repeat, did NOT share the same love and nostalgia for MK that Jeff does? Get outta here! What has the world come to.

And what the fuck is up with the IGN hate? I thought Giant Bomb was above that shit.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By phrosnite
    @ArchScabby said:
    " @phrosnite said:
    " IGN are lame... don't visit that web site. "
    This is giantbomb, so you can expect this response for any site that isn't giantbomb from a lot of the people on here. "
    Personally I visit many gaming sites regularly and I have found that IGN are a joke.
    DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DrMcKittrick
    @Grissefar said:
    " The game was reviewed by a guy who did... wait for it... NOT... I repeat, did NOT share the same love and nostalgia for MK that Jeff does? Get outta here! What has the world come to.And what the fuck is up with the IGN hate? I thought Giant Bomb was above that shit. "
    I would rather trust a review from somebody who shares the nostalgia because like me he was probably in the arcade when the first three games were there, unlike the tards at IGN.  They continue to lose credibility by posting shit like this.  There is no way MK deserved a lower score than MVC3.
    Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lautaro
    @DrMcKittrick said:
    " @Grissefar said:
    " The game was reviewed by a guy who did... wait for it... NOT... I repeat, did NOT share the same love and nostalgia for MK that Jeff does? Get outta here! What has the world come to.And what the fuck is up with the IGN hate? I thought Giant Bomb was above that shit. "
    I would rather trust a review from somebody who shares the nostalgia because like me he was probably in the arcade when the first three games were there, unlike the tards at IGN.  They continue to lose credibility by posting shit like this.  There is no way MK deserved a lower score than MVC3. "
    What about everybody else who doesn't share Jeff's nostalgia?
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By soldierg654342

Nothing the review said seemed like an invalid complaint. The only issue I could possibly see that one could have with it is that they docked so many points for not being able to pause cut-scenes. Or at least that was the only reason that was verbalized. 

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#47  Edited By sammo21
    @RE_Player92: meh, I don't care for anything IGN does so I can't comment about the review. I have played it for myself for about 4-5 hour and really enjoy it. Jeff's review is spot on.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ryanwho
    @DrMcKittrick said:
    " @Grissefar said:
    I would rather trust a review from somebody who shares the nostalgia because like me he was probably in the arcade when the first three games were there, unlike the tards at IGN.  They continue to lose credibility by posting shit like this.  There is no way MK deserved a lower score than MVC3. "
    ...But have you played it? No? You're a bit of a clown yourself, ey. MvC3 was great, from what I played, and MK looks great but I haven't played it. Maybe you should try playing a game before deciding its the new definitive fighter, huh.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Mortal Kombat is a great game. I am going to tell you about it.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WalkerTR77

IGN is just a writers workshop for people recovering from serious brain trauma. Read it like that. You can see the neuroplasticity kicking in as they manage to (just about) grasp basic sentence structure and punctuation again. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.