Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Motion Control

Concept »

Using gestures with the controller to control on-screen actions. Alternatively, these gestures can also be detected by motion-sensing cameras.

I'm So Bloody Bored Of Seeing Stories About...

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Natal and Playstation Motion Controller.

Allow me to preface: I'm a Playstation fan. It's true. Fuck off. It doesn't matter. I can still have an opinion. And my opinion is this: Why when I visit any gaming site (aside from GiantBomb because they do things a little differently) do I have to scroll through at least 3 stories relating to Natal or Playstation Motion Controller. To be fair -- it's usually the former; but there's plenty of stories on the latter too. Or should they be called "non-stories" because they never, ever say anything fucking new. Ever.

"Microsoft Say Natal Will Be In A Million Homes Before The Year Ends."
    "EA Say There Will Be Playstation Motion Controller Games At Launch."
    "Microsoft Say 80% Of Publishers Are Working On Natal."
    "Innovation Like Natal & Playstation Motion Control Will Extend Console Life-Span By Five Years."
    "Peter Molyneux Says Innovations Like Natal Will Make 2010 Most Important Year In Games."
    "Playstation Motion Controller To Be Called Gem."
    "Nope, Playstation Motion Controller To Be Called Sphere."

Who the fuck cares? I'm sick of all this baseless hype over two technologies we've barely seen anything about. To be fair; Sony have been quieter and, ironically have shown more than Microsoft, on their technology, but, it's irrelevent because they're both as bad as each other.

Now, I know what you're thinking, "Stop moaning Sammy, you don't have to read the stories," -- I don't. But it doesn't stop me seeing the same fucking picture (that shot of Natal's three camera thing-ma-jigs; and the shot from E3 of the Sony dude doing the sword and shield demo.) Every single time I go on Kotaku, VG247, Joystiq, whatever. There they are. The same stories.

When both companies decide to show something worthy of merit, then I'm happy for them to talk about their hardware like it's the second coming of Christ, but until then, I don't give a fuck. I don't give a shit if Natal is the most innovative piece of hardware in the world; as far as I'm concerned all that has been shown is a fake (c'mon) AI demo, someone painting, someone playing breakout, and the most stupid, laggy Burnout Paradise play-control option ever possible.

Same about Playstation Motion Contoller. Really interesting tech demos at E3. Lots of cool implementation ideas. But nothing since, and no reason to even mention the thing until Sony decides to name it/show the games.

Where Microsoft's solution is concerned, it seems to me they're intent with telling everyone how great their hardware is rather than showing them. Could that be because they haven't a fucking clue what do with it? I mean, I'm absolutely not a games designer, but I couldn't think of ONE way in which using that technology would be FUN. That's fine - it's Microsoft's job to prove me wrong. Cool. SHOW ME THEN. FUCKING SHOW ME. For goodness sake, no-one cares if it'll sell a gajillion times. Well, Microsoft obviously do; but that's not the point.

The agonising thing is, apparently some people lap this content up. "Can't wait for all those innovative Natal control schemes," the comments say without a hint of sarcasm. Do people not think? And if they do think, do they live in world in which potential outstrips reality.

I just want peace from these control schemes until they're PROPERLY announced. You know, with ACTUAL NAMES, games lineups, prices, release dates, etc.

Until then: please shut the fuck up. ARGH.

EDIT: Also, why isn't Playstation's Motion Controller in the GB database (or I can't find it) and Natal is. They're both as conceptual as each other right now. Bu-bu-Microsoft's said Natal was the future with those fake concept demos they made of what probably won't ever happen in reality. Fucks sake.

giath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By giath

It's posted as news because it's news. Get over yourself.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By get2sammyb
    @giath said:

" It's posted as news because it's news. Get over yourself. "

Since when has "Some PR man said something completely vague but totally positive about his employer's product that no-one really knows two ticks about because he's communicating hyped-up tosh instead of actual fact," classified as news? Well, point taken. Touche.

Guess I'm not allowed to be bored to tears of it then?

Quality first post by the way. 10 points.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Well it IS the gaming industry. All news basically comes from PR men's mouths. So.. yeah. News.

TheSmilingDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheSmilingDude

Have you ever turned on the real news? It's the same thing. Corporate Journalism is DEAD.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eric_buck

I know... like if it was actually something cool, I wouldn't mind as much...

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By ez123

Oh, come on.  Read between the lines, people.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By thatfrood

No Caption Provided
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail
    @get2sammyb said:
    " @giath said:

" It's posted as news because it's news. Get over yourself. "

Since when has "Some PR man said something completely vague but totally positive about his employer's product that no-one really knows two ticks about because he's communicating hyped-up tosh instead of actual fact," classified as news? Well, point taken. Touche.  Guess I'm not allowed to be bored to tears of it then?  Quality first post by the way. 10 points. "
    He only has one post, so I would say he is a troll.

And I don't feel like reading through your post right now. Anything I could post would not be worthy. I'll check it out later though.
    taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By taccyp

Motion controls need to die out unless somehow can figure out how to properly implement them in proper good games; not just minigame bull shit. So yeah, I agree. I'm sick of hearing about it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By get2sammyb
    @ez123: Fanboy, I'm a fanboy, I hate XBOX, hate everything associated with Micro$oft, am a stealth troller, can't have an opinion because I'm a Playstation fanboy, hate Nintendo, love Heavy Rain, Playstation Motion Controller is best, Wii sucks, Zelda: OoT is the worst game ever made, read between the lines.

Cool story, bro.

Glad we got that out of the way.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Godwind

I don't know everyone is complaining.  This is hilarious.

Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Callumrides

sadly i get the vibe they will both crash and burn 

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ez123
    @get2sammyb: Well, you said you were tired of hearing about the motion controller when, at the time, your tweet was a link to a story about the SMC.  So if we're both seeing the same thing, how about just say you're tired of hearing about Natal and not mention the Motion Controller to make it seem less fanboyish.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Whisperkill

Just shut up, whiny bitch

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By luce
    @Whisperkill said:

" Just shut up, whiny bitch "

Jesus! such hostility! 

but yeah i agree. i mean you could just not pay attention to it seeing as news isn't completely directed at you and only you
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By get2sammyb
    @ez123: Hypocritically it was a post on my own website about SMC which pushed me into posting this. My Twitter account obviously feeds from the site I run.

Whoops, absolutely feel free to flame me there.

My point still stands though, even if I'm in the minority.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Whisperkill
    @luce: Hey I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ez123
    @get2sammyb: So after you wrote a story about it, that was the final straw.  I see :D
    The other part that I want to mention is that you are saying that you're tired about hearing from both of them and then go on to say that the SMC is more plausible and Microsoft is full of shit.  

Other than that, I agree to the extent that they BOTH have something to prove.  I don't see why you seem to think that the motion controller is less bullshit.  Even if the Natal stuff is make believe, people who have used it, like Paul Barnett, seem to think it's cool.  The motion controller stuff sounds pretty bad, especially having to hold the Dualshock with one hand. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By xyzygy
    @ez123 said:
    " @get2sammyb: So after you wrote a story about it, that was the final straw.  I see :D The other part that I want to mention is that you are saying that you're tired about hearing from both of them and then go on to say that the SMC is more plausible and Microsoft is full of shit.    Other than that, I agree to the extent that they BOTH have something to prove.  I don't see why you seem to think that the motion controller is less bullshit.  Even if the Natal stuff is make believe, people who have used it, like Paul Barnett, seem to think it's cool.  The motion controller stuff sounds pretty bad, especially having to hold the Dualshock with one hand.  "
    You have to hold the dual shock with one hand.... what?! When was this decided? That is going to be the worst control scheme.... EVER
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By VWGTI

I agree with you Sammy. All of the "news" about Natal and Sphere is less than exciting. I refuse to get excited about both technologies until Microsoft and Sony can prove to me it'll be worth the money. Right now all I see is forced hype on another gimmicky product. Provide me with some substance if you want to impress me. All the PR spin in the world won't change my mind.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ez123
    @xyzygy: They were talking about it on the Bombcast.  That's how Sony showed off Little Big Planet and PE5 at Tokyo.  Of course, that could change and a nunchuk could be released.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.