Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Myst

Franchise »

Enter a world where books come to life, where merely touching a page can transport you to new and interesting worlds.

Myst: Scrawlings of a Mad Man

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Edited By eccentrix

A couple of weeks ago I finished Myst for the first time. It took me about 12 hours over the course of just over a week and it was really fun. There was a lot more story to it than I imagined and I can't wait to start playing Riven. Well, I did start it after I finished Myst, but it crashed and I haven't gone back to it since. So here are my notes:

No Caption Provided

I started from the bottom, for the most part. As you can see, I went into a lot more detail than I needed to and worked harder to figure out one puzzle than was necessary for the entire game. Mainly because I took an incredibly long time to figure out a simple mechanic.

The only times I needed outside help were to figure out what Atrus was saying at one point ("tower rotation", which turns out to be the biggest clue in the whole game; the closest I came was "towel we taught") and to find the red page in the sound land. I knew the chances were low, but I didn't want to look through the whole maze system for it.

That's it! I'll be doing one of these for Riven, as long as I can get past the graphics (I played RealMyst) and maybe Fez, if I produce enough meaningful notes.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By eccentrix

A couple of weeks ago I finished Myst for the first time. It took me about 12 hours over the course of just over a week and it was really fun. There was a lot more story to it than I imagined and I can't wait to start playing Riven. Well, I did start it after I finished Myst, but it crashed and I haven't gone back to it since. So here are my notes:

No Caption Provided

I started from the bottom, for the most part. As you can see, I went into a lot more detail than I needed to and worked harder to figure out one puzzle than was necessary for the entire game. Mainly because I took an incredibly long time to figure out a simple mechanic.

The only times I needed outside help were to figure out what Atrus was saying at one point ("tower rotation", which turns out to be the biggest clue in the whole game; the closest I came was "towel we taught") and to find the red page in the sound land. I knew the chances were low, but I didn't want to look through the whole maze system for it.

That's it! I'll be doing one of these for Riven, as long as I can get past the graphics (I played RealMyst) and maybe Fez, if I produce enough meaningful notes.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cronus42

Riven will be a few more pages of notes than that, puzzles are some of the best I've seen in a game though. Good job getting though the first game though. It really is a great experience. Amazing how it sticks with you, havn't played it in almost 10 years and still recognize all that gibberish.

Hopefully you get your tech issue worked out. Are you using the GOG version or an older disk based one?

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By eccentrix

@Cronus42 said:

Hopefully you get your tech issue worked out. Are you using the GOG version or an older disk based one?

Steam, but with compatibility mode off, so I'll try that next time.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By cronus42

@eccentrix: Wow didn't even realize a steam version of Riven existed. Too bad none of the later games are though.

Hopefully compatibility mode does the trick, if not I'm sure theres some workaround since it's "unofficially" supported for Windows 7

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.