Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 15, 2010

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 is a fighting game based on the popular anime and manga series, Naruto.

::Sigh:: It's already completely broken

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mesoian

Street date broke early, which means the tourney guys over at Shishi-Rendan.com have been getting their claws into it. Didn't take them long to completely break the game. 

So to those who don't understand what this means, basically it was found that you can cancel the kawarimi no jutsu move (a basic move that everyone in the game has which allows you to break out of a combo by properly pressing the block button just before the attack hits, which teleports you behind your opponent) by activating your ougi (your ultimate weapon which is reserved as a game changer attack most of the time) and firing it just as the animation starts. What this means is, if you ever attack and are blocked, you can score a free 45% health hit on your opponent. Your opponent cannot block this.   

And this ruins the game. So I'm cancelling my preorder, because after this, there really is no point. Online pretty much is a joke with glitches like these, and playing versus seriously will only end in frustration as the players need to make custom rules in order to avoid cheesing each other through methods like these. 

This is basically what happens when you make a fighting game and don't play test. CC2 once made the ultimate ninja series the best non-traditional fighting game series of all time, rivaled only by smash brothers. Now, they have made a game that can only be enjoyed by the most enthusisatic of naruto fans. 

It's a shame how the mighty have fallen. If you're looking for a serious fighting game, don't look here.
    jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jayjonesjunior

they will probably fix that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel
    @Mesoian said:

"It's a shame how the mighty have fallen. If you're looking for a serious fighting game, don't look here. "

Don't take this the wrong way, but you consider a Naruto game a serious fighting game?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mesoian
    @jayjonesjunior:  If it were any other company, I'd agree. Unfortunately a glitch like this was present in Storm 1, and it took them almost 4 months to patch it out. 

And if that's the kind of quality we're aiming to get, it's really not worth the price of admission. For 60 dollars, we shouldn't be beta testers. It's simply not excusable.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Thank god I don't play broken fighting games.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mesoian
    @Hailinel: Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 3 and 4 were absolutely fantastic fighting games with a very satisfying amount of depth and nuance to each character. Considering there was so many, it was quite an acheivement (UN3 was almost completely balanced save for 1 person out of 44, that's INCREDIBLE). 

Seeing stuff like this though, it's heartbreaking. I really did want this to be as good of a fighting game as it was trying to be a love letter to fans of the manga. It is not, and that is sad.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By ReyGitano

It seems like Naruto fighting games always end up broken like this. Can't wait to see this in every match online.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mesoian
    @SlashseveN303:  The Naruto games as of late have definitely become more and more broken with each iteration. Ever since UN5, they keep trying to add in new things that ultimately cause every battle to devolve into spamming one attack constantly.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

Wait- people care about the intricacies of a Naruto fighting game? Now I've seen everything.  

I've played this game in so many different names. None of them were particularly distinguishable from each other. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Enigma777

I highly doubt that anyone was looking at this as a serious fighting game... I mean, seriously? It's Naruto for god's sake! 

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By FLStyle

I'm enjoying this game thoroughly and the discovery of this glitch will not hinder it one bit. How many people playing online are savvy enough to even know that the glitch exists? It wouldn't surprise me if I didn't play against a single person who does.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By trophyhunter

*holds back laugh* 
    Oh man next year's EVO is so
     *holds back laugh* ruined  HAHAHAHAHAHA

Come on it the naruito fighting game, next you'll tell me the Castlevana: judgment is more serious than street fighter.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By agentboolen

Wait a minute with all the fighters we have now and coming soon Super Street Fighter 4, Mortal Kombat 8, Mortal Kombat remake, Tekken 6, Virtua Fighter, Tekken vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs Tekken just to name a few, your looking forward to a 
    Naruto game?!?!  

I just hope you don't consider yourself a fighting game fan, because this is basically a sin mention such a sub par series....  I'd rather go back to playing the crappy Ninja Turtles fighting game on the SNES and Genesis!!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By huntad
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Mesoian said:

"It's a shame how the mighty have fallen. If you're looking for a serious fighting game, don't look here. "

Don't take this the wrong way, but you consider a Naruto game a serious fighting game?

"
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'm also not trying to be a jerk, but I have the first one and I only play it for fun. There just aren't enough moves to try and play that for realzies.
    Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vanek

As someone who has the game I can safely say I don't care.  I didn't buy the game as a serious fighter, I bought it for the single player.  The fighting system is so damn simple. 

The chances are either most people wont notice they can do the glitch, not care or it'll be patched before it gets out of hand.  Even if it doesn't ... who cares?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mesoian

I'm quite surprised how many people are willing to plunk down 60 dollars for a game they know the be broken. 

It's your prerogative. But that makes no sense to me at all. 

And to those who are saying "OH THERE ARE OTHER FIGHTING GAMES! AND THIS IS JUST NARUTO! PLAY SOMETHING ELSE! IT ISN'T A SERIOUS FIGHTER!" They used to be. For a long time on the PS2 and to a lesser extent on the PSP, these games were absolutely brilliant serious fighting games. The last few  iterations fell off and really, with as good as this game looked 4 months ago, It wasn't outlandish to think it may have been a proper return to form. But it's not. 

I suppose this is the mortal kombat deception to the rest of the line. Again, I'm simply surprised at how many people are okay with that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This is a serious game breaking bug. We need to notify the developers immediately, as this will adversely effect the balance of tournament play. EVO will probably ban it unless it gets fixed.

Oh wait, what game are we talking about? Naruto? People care about Naruto fighting games? People care about Naruto? Hell, isn't that show no longer on TV since Cartoon Network killed off Toonami? I, I don't understand.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dbz1995
    @Mesoian said:
    " @SlashseveN303:  The Naruto games as of late have definitely become more and more broken with each iteration. Ever since UN5, they keep trying to add in new things that ultimately cause every battle to devolve into spamming one attack constantly. "
    Mate, if you want to play the game without cheats, etc. just get some GB dudes. I got this game around 6 days ago, and I'm loving it. And I don't know how great this is, but not every character can break the game like that, and I haven't met a problem like that yet.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Romination

This thread is fun.  

I know that these USED to be intersting games, but it's in the same way that the DBZ games USED to be interesting fighting games. Then they got 'improved' and everyone hated them.

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpacePenguin

Wow to be honest I dont see what all the fuss is about. I have the game and I think its really fun, I didnt think someone would make such a fuss over a naruto game. I wouldnt call that broken because the move that is used (the so called game breaker) cannot be used at any time, the player must of charged up enough charka and the unblockable move can be simply dodged.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Blannir

Gonna quote something from another forum that I think sums this "problem" up pretty well.

" In a fighter, running in on someone who has a full gauge of anything: Super Bar, Ultra Bar, Maximum Gauge, Heat Gauge, Tension Gauge, Whatever Gauge from whatever game is down right stupid. Just because you can cancel with a KnJ and go straight into an Ougi does NOT make the game breaking. It if anything makes it more interesting. Observe:

In SF3 if you parry a hit in a combo when your opponent even allows for the space to, you can retaliate, and come off a parry into a mild combo, into a super. In SF4 if you block something with a Focus Attack, there is a one frame difference where you can input a command to do something exactly after it, and not absorb all the shock instead of waiting out the flash of the focus to attack back.

This mechanic is in a LOT of fighters, if it does not make it broken when it happens in those, it is not broken in this game either.

Secondly, why on EARTH would you rely on one singular tactic to combat someone when you know someone else has the edge? That is just sloppy and very scrub like. Not to say that UNS2 is going to be competitive to the extreme of titles as: GG, BB, SF series, or Tekken but even thus, it is just incredibly ignorant to want to assault someone when you know they have the ability to counter attack and unleash a large damaging ability or combo on you in exchange.

I feel like everyone right now is just doing all this moaning because they essentially thought, that they were going to figure out one devastating combo or two for characters, and then abuse it and win matches. Well, wake up: In the fighter world THERE IS ALWAYS A VARIABLE FOR ANY SITUATION. The KnJ cancel is now the variable for mindless combo usage. "

Chakra management is as much a part of the game as anything. If someone has a full bar don't charge in looking to mash O and do a combo, you need to wear them down first and look for an opening.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mesoian
    @SpacePenguin:  that's the problem, no it can't. When this cancel is done, it is not dodgable, not KnJ-able, it cannot be avoided. 

It is an automatic free Ultimate and will do at least 45% damage every time. Essentially if you stand there and block until the other person attacks, you can get a free hit everytime, with any character, on any stage. 

It's game breaking. I played 4 matches last night, in which 2 people abused the hell out of this. Furthermore, I saw a video of the CPU actually doing it to someone in storymode last night, which is doubly fucked.
    mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mesoian
    @Blannir:@Blannir said:
    " Gonna quote something from another forum that I think sums this "problem" up pretty well.  " In a fighter, running in on someone who has a full gauge of anything: Super Bar, Ultra Bar, Maximum Gauge, Heat Gauge, Tension Gauge, Whatever Gauge from whatever game is down right stupid. Just because you can cancel with a KnJ and go straight into an Ougi does NOT make the game breaking. It if anything makes it more interesting. Observe:In SF3 if you parry a hit in a combo when your opponent even allows for the space to, you can retaliate, and come off a parry into a mild combo, into a super. In SF4 if you block something with a Focus Attack, there is a one frame difference where you can input a command to do something exactly after it, and not absorb all the shock instead of waiting out the flash of the focus to attack back.This mechanic is in a LOT of fighters, if it does not make it broken when it happens in those, it is not broken in this game either.Secondly, why on EARTH would you rely on one singular tactic to combat someone when you know someone else has the edge? That is just sloppy and very scrub like. Not to say that UNS2 is going to be competitive to the extreme of titles as: GG, BB, SF series, or Tekken but even thus, it is just incredibly ignorant to want to assault someone when you know they have the ability to counter attack and unleash a large damaging ability or combo on you in exchange.I feel like everyone right now is just doing all this moaning because they essentially thought, that they were going to figure out one devastating combo or two for characters, and then abuse it and win matches. Well, wake up: In the fighter world THERE IS ALWAYS A VARIABLE FOR ANY SITUATION. The KnJ cancel is now the variable for mindless combo usage. "  Chakra management is as much a part of the game as anything. If someone has a full bar don't charge in looking to mash O and do a combo, you need to wear them down first and look for an opening. "
    But this isn't the same as a normal parry or a red parry in SF3. It's more along the lines of the Ultra Priority glitch that's in SF4 and SSF4, which is essentially an Ultra Parry with an absolute edge since every character gets a few invincibility frames when the ougi is starting.  Here's why this is particularly game breaking and how I've seen this exploit abused thus far. 

Let's take two close up characters, naruto vs sasuke. We'll make Naruto the attacker and Sasuke the defender. Sasuke never has to do anything except hold down the block button, maybe use ninja action to avoid chip damage from projectiles. Naruto MUST come attack at close range to do any sort of daamge. The moment Sasuke's blockstun starts, he has the ability to KnJ immediately, provided his timing is right. Now, 1 of 3 things will happen. The naruto will continue his string, Sasuke KnJ cancels and scores and ougi (because the only way to do the KnJ cancel is with the Ougi animation, nothing else actually can start the cancel and because there are invincibility frames, the rest of the combo won't actually hit and assists or traps won't do any damage [they can't be shaken out of the animation by anything]), naruto stops attacking and Sasuke either starts a chain of his own (flipping the roles of each combatant) or throws and lands a free hit which is far less damaging than an Ougi, or Naruto back chakra dashes to safety, and the cycle begins a new. What does all that mean?

It means starting a combo chain with any character at any time is ALWAYS punishable by ultimate combo. And because chakra management sort of takes a backseat in the gameplay (because you get it back so quickly, holding down the triangle button for 1 second gives you almost half your chakra), it is always a valid strategy. The only defense is the to play the game like everyone did in Storm 1, which is to never attack, to always stay as far away as possible and spam long range jutsus, assists and ougis. If you don't do this, you will lose. 

And that is broken. It's not like it's something where, if you can tell their about to do it, you can avoid it. The only way to avoid is to not engage, and since it can always be done, the only thing to do is NEVER ENGAGE. That's right, the best tactic on how to win in a fighting game is to not fight. That's pretty terrible.
    GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GaspoweR

Man, a bunch of dudes here are just being dicks especially the dude who made this phrase kinda famous:

No Caption Provided
     Now I'm being a dick... heh. 

Anyway, good job OP for keeping your cool and ignoring those fools who just fucking love to come in a forum thread and be a fucking troll.
    Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Blannir
    @Mesoian said:
    "The only defense is the to play the game like everyone did in Storm 1, which is to never attack, to always stay as far away as possible and spam long range jutsus, assists and ougis. If you don't do this, you will lose.   And that is broken. It's not like it's something where, if you can tell their about to do it, you can avoid it. The only way to avoid is to not engage, and since it can always be done, the only thing to do is NEVER ENGAGE. That's right, the best tactic on how to win in a fighting game is to not fight. That's pretty terrible. "

Just picking this part out as it seems to be the main problem people have with the 2 Storm games so far. Your completely right, this is sort of a ranged fighter with little emphasise on melee combat unlike the original Ultimate Ninja games which had a decent amount of depth in that department. The thing is I can't fault CC2 too much for shifting towards that style because Taijutsu has become a lost art in Naruto and hasn't been too significant during most of Shippuden so far which is full of village busting jutsus and hax transformations, unfourtunatly this kinda gimps melee focused characters like Neji, Lee, Sakura etc. 

Conversely people don't KNJ every basic attack in the series either, the only time it's really used is if someone gets "killed" at the end of a chapter to add suspense or if they're about to get hit with an attack that's impossible to dodge. Maybe in Storm 3 they can just add a log to your item menu that lets you 1. Avoid an ougi or 2. Survive a deathblow then once you use it it's gone, or just give KNJ a meter like supports that needs to recharge between uses.

The odds of CC2 patching anything is probably near zero since they didn't even bother to fix that sound glitch from the 1st game I doubt they would try and fix combat mechanics at this point. For now you just have to deal with spammers/exploiters in ranked matches, or play with friends in private matches where you can enforce a set of rules to make the game more enjoyable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.