Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nier

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 22, 2010

Nothing is as it seems. Nier must travel the world in search of a cure for his daughter who has been infected with the deadly "Black Scrawl" virus. How far will you go to save someone you love?

Joystiq's failed Nier review

• 72 results
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By luce

For me, Joystiq falls under the "not to be taken seriously" category right next to Destructoid.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By august

I watched the final ending of this game and thought what it does when that happens is pretty awesome.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @nobull6 said:
    " By continuing this thread, does this count as beating a dead horse? Destructoid just put out a post about Nier getting DLC and had this to say (emphasis mine):

You'll notice Destructoid does not have a Nier review yet. This is because it's one of the most exhausting games ever made, straddling the line between acceptable and terrible at every moment. It's not a game you either love or hate, it's a game you either hate or forgive, and we're not sure if we're able to forgive a terrible fishing minigame, endless fetch quests, forced and repeated text adventure sections, and some of the worst backtracking we've seen this generation.
    "
    Again another show of people not understand the fishing mini game which can be done in under 30 seconds. 
    senschuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By senschuh
    @JokerSmilez:
    That video was amazing. I'm glad he was fishing in the wrong spot for an hour, otherwise he wouldn't have brought us that comedic gold.
    Kallim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By Kallim
    @ryuken: I do see that you guys find it annoying that a reviewer quit on a game you like because he simply failed at a very simple aspect of the game as a result of his own retardation. What I find annoying with what you people are doing here is that you're using him to defend what many people would regard as a bad game. You disregard comments against the game with saying that what people say is bad about the game is the graphics and the fishing minigame. The game is more flawed on a story level. Specifically because it has horrible pacing. I wrote a 2,5 page user review on the game just yesterday so I really can't be bothered with listing the things I find bad about the game, so if you want to know why I am stating that it's a bad game you can read that instead. If you do; please keep in mind that I am displaying as objective of an opinion as I can in that review. I found many of the bad points to be bad to the point of hilarity and I found some comfort in the JRPG clichés, so I did get some enjoyment from the game, but as a game; I could not consider it as anything but bad. 
    ryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ryuken
    @Kallim:
    well, I'm going to just ignore everything you typed. Mostly because the story of Nier is one of its best attributes. Obviously this is a lot of different opinions clashing and excercising a futile attempt at convincing the other side that their right. your not going to change my mind, not by a long shot. My only gripe with Nier is the loading screens you have to wait for because of the back tracking, and that only felt like the first part of the game.

Nier isn't broken its just not perfect. Some say that FFXIII is perfect but that game got ripped more than Nier. fuck everybody and their opinions, they're constantly changing, their ingorance remaining.   btw i'd give Nier and FFXIII the same score.....(7.5) for completely different reasons. Oh didn't i mention I'm a reviewer for a very popular gaming blog about people who lie about being game reviewers for gaming blogs and I wrote a very in depth review on NIER, you should read it, and no I can't be bothered to post a link to my review either.  heehee, thanks that was a nice way to start the day.....now,   back to work.   
    Kallim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Kallim
    @ryuken: That is fine I guess. It's your opinion, and thereby I have no say in it. I would however be slightly interested in what exactly you find good about Nier's story. Because I came out of it thinking that it was one of the worst paced and set up stories I've seen in a while, and I'm a hardcore JRPG and manga geek, so I've seen my share of horribly bad stories. I just think that they never actually flesh out any of the characters or pace the action according to the story. If you list the melodramatic events that occur throughout the game on paper, I would probably say that it looked just fine, but everything that belongs in between is lacking in this in my opinion. The characters are just thrrown together and develop a bond where they are willing to risk their lives for each other after having met once. None of the "dramatic" occurences in the game had any emotional effect on me as a result of this. There's jsut nothing in the story except for clichés that are loosely strung together. And I simply can't stand how they try to make an intricate web of mysteries in their story that they keep hinting at towards the end but cut off without ever developing. And I have to say that Popola and Devola are the dumbest couple of characters I've seen in a while. Their motives are not explained, and from their actions earlier in the game their actions make no sense. There is too much that I find borderline depressing because it is so bad, but I have no intention of listing it all. It would, however be interesting to hear why you find the story to be good, and if you're too lazy to answer in full at least you can link me this review of yours.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @nobull6 said:
    " By continuing this thread, does this count as beating a dead horse? Destructoid just put out a post about Nier getting DLC and had this to say (emphasis mine):

You'll notice Destructoid does not have a Nier review yet. This is because it's one of the most exhausting games ever made, straddling the line between acceptable and terrible at every moment. It's not a game you either love or hate, it's a game you either hate or forgive, and we're not sure if we're able to forgive a terrible fishing minigame, endless fetch quests, forced and repeated text adventure sections, and some of the worst backtracking we've seen this generation.
    "
    Again another show of people not understand the fishing mini game which can be done in under 30 seconds.  "
    If multiple people keep saying how much the fishing mini-game sucks, but you keep saying "you're doing it wrong", then the game is obviously not doing a good job of getting the player to do it right. If a game is bad at getting the player to do the "right" thing, or do what the developers intended, that is a flaw of the game.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#59  Edited By damswedon

here is the problem i have with this "review". 

1. almost every quest you have done up to that point has taught you to go to the big red X on the minimap.
    2. he was not at the red X.
    3. this is the only part that forces you to fish.
    4. even if you don't catch the fish by the 7th try it gives you a free fish.
    ryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ryuken
    @Kallim:
    aaaaahhhh this fun. Oh man I should have put a sarcasm tag.  I did not write a review about Nier.  Also I didnt even finish it, I'm just enjoying it. The story in a video game has nothing to do with pacing, for the simple fact that any player could fuck around and kill sheep for 30minutes and then grow some beans. I'm sure you get what I'm saying, the player controls the pace.  Also just to clear it up when I said that the story of Nier was one of its best attributes I meant that that was the concensus from the many gaming  sites I view on the regs. Most people defending Nier say the story is great.  

That being said, your right about cliches and charactor development. Maybe I just don't look at it with such a critical eye. Cliches are like pop culture they are abundant and sometimes hard to avoid, cliches are cliches for a reason, they are extremely common, so I can't really bash a game for showing me something that happens every minute. Other times its just plain honesty and true albiet corny but our world is raw and unforgiving often times a simple story is torn apart and called stupid or childish. As for charactor development, maybe they couldn't fit more conversations/back story content in the game for some reason. Basically I take what is given me knowing that I can't ask for more, you either enjoy it or you can't see past all the flaws. 

Nier is original in a lot of ways, what grabs me is the mood of the world, the music and the people who live there. Its just funny how none of your issues with the story ever even registered for me. I'm not blind, I know the game has many flaws but none of them made me want to stop playing.      

Ok, now I'll get back to work.   
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By Catolf
    @Kallim:  Break up your posts it HURTS MY EYES...

@damswedon said:
    " here is the problem i have with this "review". 
    1. almost every quest you have done up to that point has taught you to go to the big red X on the minimap.
    2. he was not at the red X.
    3. this is the only part that forces you to fish.
    4. even if you don't catch the fish by the 7th try it gives you a free fish.
    "

This.
    Kallim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Kallim
    @Catolf: L2READ, YOU HURT MY BRAIN
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#63  Edited By damswedon
    @Kallim said:
    " @Catolf: L2READ, YOU HURT MY BRAIN "
    Learn2Read is the Left 4 Dead prequel that never was.
    Kallim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Kallim

@ryuken: I never did believe you had written a review xD I thought the slight sarcasm would come through without me writing "review", but I guess I'm just retarded that way. But sure, I can relate to what you're saying :p 

Although I have to agree that I can't really ask that the game is better than it is, I do believe that I have every right to be pissed that square once again managed to squeeze a full retail price out of me with another quite horrible game outside of the FF-franchise, much like with "Last Remnant". I'll stop bothering you now though :p

Kallim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Kallim
    @damswedon said:
    " @Kallim said:
    Learn2Read is the Left 4 Dead prequel that never was. "
    A sad story about a girl and her upbringing in a harsh cold world
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Milkman

Giant Bomb does this with about 75% of new releases. It's not a big deal.

ryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ryuken
    @Kallim: 
    yeah thats a shitty feeling,  I've bought so many games at full price and wished that I waited, I'm just impatient that way, its so bad sometimes I almost bought dead to rights 2 the other day!  Well shit I was going to get last remant and now I'm thinking I shouldnt....but then again based on our opposite opinions of Nier maybe I will like it, ha! 

I'm glad you didnt think I wrote that review because I thought my blog joke was pretty good.
    Kallim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Kallim

@ryuken: You never know; you might actually like Last Remnant. If you can get it at a low price you might want to consider it I guess. Thing is though... The problems I had with that is not at all like the ones I had with Nier. While I do think the annoying main character and awkward dialogue would bore me to death, I simply never got far enough to find out.

The graphics are nothing to write home about, and yet the developer has found a way to keep the game at a good stable 40 fps in every in-engine cutscene that involves anything worth watching. Also, the combat is beyond incomprehensible, and explains close to nothing. To put it this way: there is a command named something like "play it by ear" which is.... well.... Random xD If anything it was almost worth buying it to see the ridiculous running movement your character has. He moves almost twice as far as his stride would have you think and the result was that watching this while running in circles took up around 25% of the little time I bothered investing in it.

I have had a lot of laughs from the little I have played of Last Remnant though.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Noodlearms
    @damswedon said:

" @Kallim said:

I felt that was necessary.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#70  Edited By Bones8677
    @damswedon said:
    " @Kallim said:
    Heavily inspired by Typing of the Dead, I imagine?
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#71  Edited By Catolf
    @Kallim:  Dude, just break up your shit when you post.
    Kallim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Kallim
    @Catolf said:
    " @Kallim:  Dude, just break up your shit when you post. "

pfft.... Structure is for noobz

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.