Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 18, 2012

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is an upgraded version of Ninja Gaiden 3, featuring additions such as gameplay tweaks, dismemberment, multiple weapons, new playable characters, and online co-op.

So, this looks...like they might have fixed Ninja Gaiden 3?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Trailer for Razors Edge here : http://www.nintendo.com/popup/video?embedcode=xxNTV2NTqPQNqbGSOwcTA8DjlpI8VGBe

You can see tons of new weapons added in for Ryu. Dual Katanas are back as well as my personal favorite the Lunar Staff. YES also.... *ahem*

No Caption Provided

Ayane is apparently in the game and her gameplay looks pretty great. She was AWFUL in Sigma 2 but man she was tearing through those guys in the trailer. And thats the other thing... gore is back! That guy straight up exploded into gibs from Ayane's explosive Kunai. Man.... it REALLY sucks that I basically paid for a beta test on PS3/360 but it also looks like they might have actually learned from their mistakes and fixed them. So, color me excited. I know, I know... I'm most likely the only one sitting on the Razor's Edge cheer squad but... I'm willing to give it a chance. I really liked a lot of what was underneath the crap in Ninja Gaiden 3 so hopefully with this extra time they can iron out all the shit and get the game running at 60fps and get the bugs worked out. If they do then I'll be REALLY excited as I had fun with Ninja Gaiden 3 but not nearly as much as I wished I had. So here is hoping that this fixes everything.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

Keep telling yourself that, but Ninja Gaiden's been dead to me for a while.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By musubi

@MikkaQ: *shrug* I've enjoyed pretty much every entry. Not nearly as much as NGB but you can't improve upon perfection so...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Hmmm. I never played the original so I might buy - oh...WiiU exclusive? Oh.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

I'm hoping this version of the game is better then the 360/PS3 version.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Actually, I've been looking forward to this version as well. They had said that the game would be vastly improved for a while now.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

@Demoskinos said:

@MikkaQ: *shrug* I've enjoyed pretty much every entry. Not nearly as much as NGB but you can't improve upon perfection so...

Exactly. I just sorta gave up on it cause that series got as good as it was gonna get. The boss in 2 that would kill you if you didn't have enough health to survive his attack at the end of the fight was kinda the last straw of bullshit.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1

@MikkaQ: actually, you survived that if you just blocked with no health lost.

still, even at that. one of the worst parts about any of the modern Ninja Gaiden games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By musubi

@MikkaQ: Block button is all you needed to do. Also, could do a ninpo...or dodge at the right moment basically anything that put you into I-frames

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By ez123

@AjayRaz said:

@MikkaQ: actually, you survived that if you just blocked with no health lost.

still, even at that. one of the worst parts about any of the modern Ninja Gaiden games.

I used nimpo, didn't think that the fucking block button would save me from a giant exploding armadillo. I liked that part... after beating the boss, certainly not after the first time it killed me.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By sodacat

By now everyone should know that you never buy the first release of a Koei Tecmo game. Let them iterate it a few times and then they'll figure out how to make it a good game.

Well OK yes Pokemon Conquest is pretty great, but that had Nintendo oversight and the eventual Conquest 2 will probably be so much better that no one will play Conquest 1 after it comes out.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By musubi

@sodacat: I was going to disagree with you but... with Ninja Gaiden games... your right. Black is the best of the first game Sigma 2 fixed a lot of the janky shit with NG2 and this looks to fix all the broken stuff with NG3.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Razor's Edge? So it's the true sequel to Need for Speed: Most Wanted? I'm in.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By kgb0515

There is no fixing this game for me, and putting it out on a system that I have no desire to purchase is just another slap in the face.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru

The only Ninja Gaiden games that I've played and liked have been on Nintendo systems, so at least that gives it a good track record or something.

@MattyFTM: You play as Clarence "Razor" Callahan in a first person platforming adventure, trying to transport sensitive information across a city run by a totalitarian government.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By TheHT

@RockmanBionics: IS MAGGIE Q INVOLVED? ILL ONLY BUY IF MAGGIE QS INVOLVED

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru

@TheHT: She only appears in the intro movie, where she gets her neck snapped after trying to jumpkick Shao Kahn.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By JTB123

@kgb0515 said:

There is no fixing this game for me, and putting it out on a system that I have no desire to purchase is just another slap in the face.

I agree, although they could put this out on 360 and PS3 and I still would pretend it didn't exist.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Klei

I think Ayane's gameplay looks like shit, but that's partly because I just don't like big breasted ninja chick with 6 years old screams. And yeah, I like Ninja Gaiden. Ironic, I know. It's a love/hate relationship.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By KingBroly

I played it in Atlanta, and I can tell you that NO, it's not fixed.

Well the framerate and screen tearing are, but it's still a fundamentally bad game at its' core.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By musubi

@KingBroly: “Obviously there are new things in there too, but we shouldn’t try and throw out what Team Ninja is good at,” he said. “[Originally with Wii U] We had to drop polygons, characters, stages, play around with the frame-rate to get it out there. It was a really rough version.

“But the Wii U devkit has since improved and we’re now working on updated hardware. The E3 version was not good.”

Direct quotes from Hayashi. The dev kit has come along the game has improved since then.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KingBroly

@Demoskinos said:

@KingBroly: “Obviously there are new things in there too, but we shouldn’t try and throw out what Team Ninja is good at,” he said. “[Originally with Wii U] We had to drop polygons, characters, stages, play around with the frame-rate to get it out there. It was a really rough version.

“But the Wii U devkit has since improved and we’re now working on updated hardware. The E3 version was not good.”

Direct quotes from Hayashi. The dev kit has come along the game has improved since then.

I thought the framerate was locked and there was no screen tearing, which is an improvement. My problem is that stuff like the Left + Right QTE segments were still there. In addition to that, it just felt mashy and didn't take any skill. Unless they scrapped all of that stuff, in addition to the awful story, it's still a bad game at the mechanical level. And that's before you get to the Drunken T-Rex boss fight.

The Ayane stuff looked completely ripped out of NGS2, but with blood. That's really the nicest I can say about it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Phatmac

I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW GOOD THE BOOB PHYSICS WILL BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly

I played it in Atlanta, and I can tell you that NO, it's not fixed.

Well the framerate and screen tearing are, but it's still a fundamentally bad game at its' core.

I played the PAX demo and didn't notice anything wrong. We were likely playing the same build, too.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By musubi

@KingBroly said:

@Demoskinos said:

I thought the framerate was locked and there was no screen tearing, which is an improvement. My problem is that stuff like the Left + Right QTE segments were still there. In addition to that, it just felt mashy and didn't take any skill. Unless they scrapped all of that stuff, in addition to the awful story, it's still a bad game at the mechanical level. And that's before you get to the Drunken T-Rex boss fight.

The Ayane stuff looked completely ripped out of NGS2, but with blood. That's really the nicest I can say about it.

I'll give you the story in NG3 was awful especially the motivations of everything after everything is revealed but I really liked the game otherwise outside of the awful frame rate when the action heated up. QTE's don't bother me... I honestly don't understand why they bothered so many people. Most of the "QTE" events use the same buttons you use to do thoes actions normally anyways. If i'm pressing "A" to jump in a QTE and "A" to jump in normal gameplay what is the real difference? Besides that the Steel on Bone kills I thought were actually pretty neat. And I dare you to play on hard and just "mash" because you won't make it through in some of the segments where you have to fight multiple Alchemists they will tear you a new one if you don't go in with a specific game plan. And they added a TON of new moves to the Dragon Sword the moveset of the original really expanded with dozens of ways to combo people into Izuna drops and what not. Not saying the game is great because on a technical level it was busted as hell but most of the other stuff I enjoyed even the dumb story.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KingBroly

I really felt like the game had no strategy involved in order to play it. Having played previous Ninja Gaiden games multiple times, I can honestly say that this felt boring. The Steel on Bone mechanic is basically a counter move now with a very obvious tell. It'd be smart if it were gone on higher playthroughs, but I doubt it is. The QTE's that bother me are the following: ZL, ZR, ZL, ZR, ZL, ZR, ZL, ZR. This crap still existed from what I played and it was awful.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By musubi

@KingBroly: The Kunai climb? Because I thought that was awesome. I'd like Ninja Gaiden to utilize Ryu's athletic prowess more and add more platforming bits in between the action.

Rorschach84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rorschach84

I don't know. Ninja Gaiden 3 isn't salvageable in my book. It'll have to be a whole new game.

dawiiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By dawiiz

Hope they implement offline co-op. The Wii U is perfect for offline co-op

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Honestly there is no fixing Ninja Gaiden 3. The base game is just to flawed at the fundamental level. It is not as simple as adding some new weapons and gore. That won't change anything.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cannonballbam

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Honestly there is no fixing Ninja Gaiden 3. The base game is just to flawed at the fundamental level. It is not as simple as adding some new weapons and gore. That won't change anything.

44/55 achievements doesn't seem that flawed to me.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Barrock

@Demoskinos said:

Trailer for Razors Edge here : http://www.nintendo.com/popup/video?embedcode=xxNTV2NTqPQNqbGSOwcTA8DjlpI8VGBe

You can see tons of new weapons added in for Ryu. Dual Katanas are back as well as my personal favorite the Lunar Staff. YES also.... *ahem*

No Caption Provided

Ayane is apparently in the game and her gameplay looks pretty great. She was AWFUL in Sigma 2 but man she was tearing through those guys in the trailer. And thats the other thing... gore is back! That guy straight up exploded into gibs from Ayane's explosive Kunai. Man.... it REALLY sucks that I basically paid for a beta test on PS3/360 but it also looks like they might have actually learned from their mistakes and fixed them. So, color me excited. I know, I know... I'm most likely the only one sitting on the Razor's Edge cheer squad but... I'm willing to give it a chance. I really liked a lot of what was underneath the crap in Ninja Gaiden 3 so hopefully with this extra time they can iron out all the shit and get the game running at 60fps and get the bugs worked out. If they do then I'll be REALLY excited as I had fun with Ninja Gaiden 3 but not nearly as much as I wished I had. So here is hoping that this fixes everything.

Look at that butt!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@cannonballBAM said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Are you implying because I played the game a fair bit I can't possibly dislike it? I played it because I like the previous Ninja Gaiden games a lot and had to know the quality of the game for myself.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cannonballbam

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@cannonballBAM said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Are you implying because I played the game a fair bit I can't possibly dislike it? I played it because I like the previous Ninja Gaiden games a lot and had to know the quality of the game for myself.

Just stating that it wasn't so bad that you didn't enjoy it a little more than you give it credit. I perfer 3 to the Itagaki releases, that's just me though.

Plus I need a CO-OP partner for the challenges, haha.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

It really depends on how deep the changes actually go, because judging by everything I've seen and read so far, the changes being made go a lot further than just adding in more weapons and dismemberment.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@cannonballBAM said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@cannonballBAM said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Just stating that it wasn't so bad that you didn't enjoy it a little more than you give it credit. I perfer 3 to the Itagaki releases, that's just me though.

Plus I need a CO-OP partner for the challenges, haha.

I never said I never enjoyed it. I did somewhat enjoy the single player. On normal at least, hard is a different story. I did legitimately enjoy the online, it is stupid fun. Regardless of enjoying it or not I do think it is a poorly designed games. Exceptionally so.

I'm curious, what is it about Ng3 that you enjoyed over the other 3D Ninja Gaiden games? Not trying to pick a fight of opinion here, just want to hear a different viewpoint.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

It really depends on how deep the changes actually go, because judging by everything I've seen and read so far, the changes being made go a lot further than just adding in more weapons and dismemberment.

Interesting. Could you go into detail or show me where you are getting this information. I'd love for them to fix the game. It is just a tall order.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Interesting. Could you go into detail or show me where you are getting this information. I'd love for them to fix the game. It is just a tall order.

Here's a link (found via Wikipedia). To summarize some of the changes being made:

• New weapon and Ninpo types (as previously stated).
    • The reintroduction of the karma point system and an upgrade menu.
    • Dismemberment, in addition to improved enemy AI, new enemy types.

This is just a high level summary, of course. It has yet to be seen what "improved AI" or "new enemy types" means, but they are introducing system-level changes that go beyond aesthetics and weapon variety.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By musubi
    @Hailinel

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Here's a link (found via Wikipedia). To summarize some of the changes being made:

• New weapon and Ninpo types (as previously stated).
    • The reintroduction of the karma point system and an upgrade menu.
    • Dismemberment, in addition to improved enemy AI, new enemy types.

This is just a high level summary, of course. It has yet to be seen what "improved AI" or "new enemy types" means, but they are introducing system-level changes that go beyond aesthetics and weapon variety.

What really needs to happen is 60fps. That was the worst part of NG3. It stuttered and struggled to keep up with the action. All this extra shit is cool but if they dont hit 60fps or at the VERY least a stable 30fps then it won't be worth playing again.
    cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cannonballbam

@ImmortalSaiyan: I really enjoyed the streamline play and focus on using the dragon sword. The steel on bone gave the impression of being more involved in combat more than the limb removal system from 2. Keep in mind i am also the guy who only likes DMC 1 and the upcoming DMC If that helps any. The whole game felt like a Sho Kosugi movie with Akira Kurosawa visual effects.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung
    Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@Demoskinos:

So excited to hear it's practically a different game...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/19/tgs-ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-repairs-past-mistakes

- much more gore

- arms, heads and torsos can be chopped off

- Ayane has double short-swords

- she also has explosive throwing-knives

- Ayane also has a screen-clearing special move

- Ryu's scythe is on-disc rather than paid add-on content

- new progression system

- unlockable abilities and upgradable ninpo magic/weapons

- unspecified free downloadable content

- and more!

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By aleryn

Cool and I'm with you on being excited on the possibility of 3 being fixed. I really liked the first two and held off on 3 after bad reviews. Will fix that if the DLC does a lot to help the game. Keep your excitement going and ignore the meh til it's out and you can just try it.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

First shot of the GamePad screen...

GamePad Screen
    GamePad Screen

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.