Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS versus DSi (XL)?

Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vigil80

Ok, fellas, I need a verdict. I've been going back and forth on this for almost a month. I'm waiting for some word from the GB crew on how the 3DS does with DS games. I've got a copy of Pokémon Black idling on my desk, and roughly $200 credit with Amazon.

3DS, or DSi XL?

I don't actually care about 3D itself. And I would be surprised not to see news of a 3DS Lite or something within a year. But I wonder what the odds are of a really good title for the 3DS between now and then...

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By T0mF5

3DS

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

Im hoping since you actually went out and bought a DS game you would already have some form of DS, XL or otherwise.

Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vigil80

I had a DS with a stuck button that I traded. I'm trying to decide what to replace it with.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Contro

DS games display better on a 3DS running in DS mode (Select & Start @boot ) The 3DS's WS has improved quality over any of the DS screens. 

Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vigil80
    @Contro: 
    Really? Interesting. Where might I read more?
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By phantomzxro

i"m in the same boat as you and granted they look better in the DS display mode but they big screen on the XL is mighty sexy. I will still tip it too the 3DS because then you won't really have to worry about upgrading at all. Also whenever the really good games do come out you will be all set. Also i could just see them releaseing a pokemon grey for the 3ds or something along those lines.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I'm waiting for a price drop or second model (there's always a second model) of 3DS. Apparently the DS backwards compatibilty on the 3DS isn't so great, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fwylo

Ds fat.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Otacon

I'm in the same dilemma as my Lite gave up the ghost a while back and chose to go with 3DS, the DSi XL is tempting, but the 3DS will cover you for longer. Of course a hardware revision will happen, though I'm not sure if it'll be as soon as people say, but it will be no where near the change the DS had to the DS Lite, for example the screens on the DS were a real issue but Nintendo has learned a lot since and there are less glaringly obvious issues with the 3DS apart from the battery. The revision will be an aesthetic change most likely and perhaps better battery but remember, the battery is removable/expandable. 

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Contro
    @Vigil80:  

Have rummage around, I'm sure you'll find something on it. Running a 3DS in DS mode at boot provides 1:1 as far as the pixels are concerned - there's no scaling involved, but there are naturally black borders at either side of the screen. The 3DS makes up for this by providing a better quality image, in the DS mode.    
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By JoeyRavn

Man, those XL screens are really large. I'd never seen them side-to-side with the DSi screens. Do you notice the upscaling when playing on an XL, or does it feel "natural"?

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13  Edited By MachoFantastico

Was in the same sort of situation myself a few months back, having had the cash to purchase a Nintendo DSi XL but in the same week of release (maybe even before it's release) we heard about the Nintendo 3DS so I decided to sit back and wait. In the end I have an order for a 3DS coming next week and I'm pretty excited about it.  

It's personal choice really, the 3D isn't a big issue for me either but I'm excited about the idea of a more powerful DS with touch controls and the games developers will make for it. The 3DS is the best bet really, as the DS software will eventually dry out potentially sooner then we think and it's still very early days for 3DS software. So I'd say go with the 3DS, you'll be able to play Pokemon on it anyways.  

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Otacon
    @JoeyRavn: From what I've used of them you do kind of feel like the screens should be running at a higher resolution, but it still looks really good If you're used to how blocky DS screens are anyway it won't be an issue
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15  Edited By MachoFantastico
    @JoeyRavn: I've used a mates DSi XL twice and some games do look a little inferior visually. Makes sense really as they were developed for a specific screen size. To be fair most of the games I played on it looked fine, but a few were disappointing. 
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By zidd
    @JoeyRavn: There is no upscaling on the DSi XL. The screens are the same resolution just bigger.
    tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tyxja

I have a DSi XL and I actually don't like it at all. I liked what you said there about it feeling "natural" 

To me, it doesn't, the image is stretched and ugly. Pokemon Black&White look especially terrible on the XL's screens. 

Hell, even the system software on the XL looks stretched and crappy to me. Definitely go with the 3DS my friend. It's future proof.

I'll be trading my XL into gamestop for 100$ off for my 3DS.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By JonathanMoore
    @tylerjacob said:
    " I have a DSi XL and I actually don't like it at all. I liked what you said there about it feeling "natural"   To me, it doesn't, the image is stretched and ugly. Pokemon Black&White look especially terrible on the XL's screens.   Hell, even the system software on the XL looks stretched and crappy to me. Definitely go with the 3DS my friend. It's future proof.  I'll be trading my XL into gamestop for 100$ off for my 3DS. "
    This, had mine since launch, not a great system to use comfortably. I'm trading mine in to get over half off my 3DS.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#19  Edited By LordAndrew

I need a replacement for my DS Lite. I considered the DSi, but ultimately decided that I'm going to be getting a 3DS eventually anyway, so why not do it now? But if nothing on the 3DS looks interesting to you right now, that decision may not necessarily be the right one.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Zidd said:
    " @JoeyRavn: There is no upscaling on the DSi XL. The screens are the same resolution just bigger. "
    Well, yes. I was refering to the fact that the image ratio stayed the same, but the screens are bigger. I know it's not technically upscaling, but you know what I meant. Anyway, it's reassuring knowing the difference is not that big. I ordered a DSi recently from Amazon UK (it should be arriving this wednesday, if nothing goes wrong) and I was worried the XL was much better. I won't be buying a 3DS for some time, though. At least till its first or second redesign, when it has a much better library and price.
    Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vigil80

Good points. Thanks for the input, all. I think it's a 3DS for me.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By JJOR64
    @Vigil80 said:
    " Good points. Thanks for the input, all. I think it's a 3DS for me. "
    Yeah.  Go with it.  It's backwards compatible with all the DS games, plus you get the 3DS features as well.
    Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Trebz

Go with the 3DS. It's not the 3D you should be interested in, but that it's the next generation of Nintendo handhelds. It makes more sense to me to invest in that, but if you can find an XL on the cheap and don't mind waiting for the 3DS Lite, go ahead with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.