Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Only 1 analogue stick? Don't make the same mistake as Sony.

PeepingTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By PeepingTommy

I think it's absolutely shambolic that a reputable hardware manufacturer like Nintendo has failed to sidestep the critical mistake Sony made with the PSP by failing to include a second analogue stick. It liberates the user and broadens the opportunities for what games can be developed for the system. 

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Isn't it a 100% improvement over past generations of DS?

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By luce

That touch screen could be the other analog stick. 

Like in a shooter

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

There may be one analog stick, but there is a touch screen.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Brunchies

I don't know about you but if the 3DS analog stick is anything like the psp's then a second one would be way more uncomfortable and worst then using the face buttons.

PeepingTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By PeepingTommy

In theory the touch green should perform the same task, but playing games like Mario 64 and Call Of Duty I find clunky as hell. I agree with your concern, Brunchies but hopefully again this is an area where they've managed to improve over the PSP.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By DukeTogo

Two sticks leads to dumb versions of console games that you don't really want to play on a portable.  Sony's mistake was going ahead and making those types of games anyway, but making weird control schemes for them as well, making the games even worse.

Portable games are best with simple controls, uncomplicated gameplay, and set up for short sessions with a way to quickly stop without losing major progress.

Asking for two sticks on a portable is a case of be careful what you wish for, you may not like what you get if it happens.  Shit like Splinter Cell or Call of Duty on a portable is why the PSP is in the spot it's in.  Just like Picross and Professor Leyton are why the DS is in the spot it's in.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss

Nintendo has never built anything with two analog sticks.

edit: ...oops, guess the GameCube kinda did - but that's it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Two analogue sticks would lead to too many average ports of console games. I don't want that from a handheld, and I don't know why anyone would.

jerrkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By jerrkat

I would like to see another numb for left-handed book style games.  But I'm not sure how much if a difference the numb makes from the d-pad.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Castro
    @DukeTogo said:
    " Two sticks leads to dumb versions of console games that you don't really want to play on a portable. 
    That's pretty much it. The problem with the PSP was that they were porting PS2 games to it. Games where two analog sticks would be the desired control scheme. Handheld consoles aren't meant for games like that so it will not be an issue with the DS. I'm more concerned about games like Hotel Dusk where you hold the DS like a book. I kinda liked that and I'm afraid that you won't be seeing much of that in the future.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Frankly, I don't know why it needs an analog stick at all unless it's going to have two of them. If you're moving around with a fixed camera, D-Pads are fine. It's when you introduce the shifting camera that analog control is good, which is also when you need a second stick to move the camera.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname
    @MattyFTM said:
    " Two analogue sticks would lead to too many average ports of console games. I don't want that from a handheld, and I don't know why anyone would. "
    This.

not to mention one hand should be occupied with the touch controls.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quacktastic

I kind of agree.  There's that empty space that's just big enough for one.  Maybe you can get around it with the touch screen, but more control options would only lead to greater variation in games.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Jayross

The PSP should do shooters (and it tries). The 3DS does not seem like a likely platform for shooters. 

And anyways. Use the slider for walking, use the shoulder for shooting, and use the sylus on the touch-screen for aiming. Seems like that would work fine.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rehehelly

Touch screen.

Two analogs would make that screen useless...

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DystopiaX

Too late. I think that it'll do fine without it though, but if Sony's next PSP doesn't have it it'll be a fail.

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theduke
    @Jayross said:
    " The PSP should do shooters (and it tries). The 3DS does not seem like a likely platform for shooters.  And anyways. Use the slider for walking, use the shoulder for shooting, and use the sylus on the touch-screen for aiming. Seems like that would work fine. "

that sounds impractical when one hand is busy with the touch screen 
    doesn't sound comfortable but I don't see shooters being a driving force for the 3DS
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

The simpler approach is to avoid designing games that are designed for two analog sticks.  Blame the game developers for not working to the hardware's strengths.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zonerover
    @MattyFTM said:

" Two analogue sticks would lead to too many average ports of console games. I don't want that from a handheld, and I don't know why anyone would. "

I know this would be inevitable, but isn't choice a good thing? For shooters at least, what alternative control scheme provides more precise control than dual sticks at the moment? I think having the choice of using dual sticks would be a plus.

When the PSP2 is released, I bet I know what the 2 will stand for.
    Avatar image for senortrampoline
    SenorTrampoline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SenorTrampoline

they need to start bundling those wrist straps that came with the Phat in with the 3DS. I wish i could find mine. :(

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    @MattyFTM said:
    Nah, since they have one analog stick, they'll just have crappy ports of console games, instead of average.
    Ketonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ketonic

While I agree that I definitely don't want crappy ports of console games, I dislike the arrangement of the analog stick in relation to the D-Pad. To me, it would be much more comfortable to have the D-Pad beneath the face buttons on the right, with the analog stick by itself on the left. I feel like having the D-Pad on the right can simulate two-stick control. The current (and quite presumably permanent) layout smacks of the Dreamcast controller, of which I was a big fan. But for games such as platformers like Sonic Adventure, for example, one almost always had to move their left thumb from the left control stick (thus not moving their character anymore) in order to change the camera angle. Not an issue that will prevent me from buying the 3DS, but I still would prefer the D-Pad on the right.

No Caption Provided

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @luce said:
    " That touch screen could be the other analog stick.   Like in a shooter "
    Very true. Great point.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Willy105
    @Tarsier said:
    " @luce said:
    " That touch screen could be the other analog stick.   Like in a shooter "  
    it doesn't really work that well at all though. and you cant press the other buttons when you are using it. "
    You are not supposed to.

The secondary commands could be right in the touch screen, or with the 3DS, in the D-Pad under the analog stick as well.

The DS touch screen is as close as you can get to a PC and mouse. With the 3DS, you now also have that, plus analog control.
    DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

The least they could do is move the analogue stick to the right side, so you could use the D-Pad for forward, backward, left, and right movement and the analogue stick to aim.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Willy105
    @DarkGamerOO7 said:
    " The least they could do is move the analogue stick to the right side, so you could use the D-Pad for forward, backward, left, and right movement and the analogue stick to aim. "
    That would be terrible.

That would ruin the rest of the traditional games by forcing them to use the D-Pad, and the analog stick would be an inferior alternative to the touch screen for shooters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.