Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

When should I get one?

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VirtuaXav

So I'm thinking of going overseas in Nov/Dec this year which has me thinking if the 3DS' supposedly poor battery life will be enough for long plane/train rides (4-8hours). Even so, I think it's unlikely they'll release a new model with improved battery life before the end of this year... 

Apart from the overseas trip, I'll mainly be using it at home where battery life will be a non-issue. 
    Should I just buy one now and deal with the poor battery life overseas? Or wait it out until a second model is announced and make decision then? 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

If you'll be at home most of the time, battery life shouldn't be an issue. For long rides you can disable unnecessary features, turn down the brightness, whatever. Battery life can vary.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

If you are bargain hunter, you should get a psp or a ds. Their prices are hitting the lowest point, and their games are almost given away. :p 

If you're a tech aficionado, get a 3Ds, but with the current games, you'd probably be better saving the money. You should wait.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I'd say by summer would be a good time. 
    If not then, Christmas would work. 
    jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    @LordAndrew said:

" If you'll be at home most of the time, battery life shouldn't be an issue. For long rides you can disable unnecessary features, turn down the brightness, whatever. Battery life can vary. "

If you will be at home most of the time, you shoudn't need a portable so expensive as this one, except of course for the library of games, but so far, not worth it.
    But, considering the recent history of the NDS it won't take long for this to change.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew
    @jayjonesjunior said:
    " If you will be at home most of the time, you shoudn't need a portable so expensive as this one "
    But it would make more sense to spend $250 if you plan on playing it on the go? Any other portable gaming system will do that job too.
    VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VirtuaXav

I've already got a DS and have been hanging out for the 3DS for a little while now. I might take @LordAndrew's advice and get one now.
    Surely better first party games will come out in the "launch window" so I'll just hang out for them.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bibledoctor

I haven't owned a nintendo handheld in a very long time, i'll be buying a 3DS as soon as a game I am interested in is about to be released on the platform. 

None of the launch titles interest me even a little.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.