Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Did the Nintendo DS steal the Tokyo Games Show?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I was getting my gaming news eldewhere, as usual, when I glanced upon this little blog on the Tokyo Games Show.  I found it an interesting read, and naturally, with my DS bias, found it pleasing to see how well it continues to do around the world.  Have a read if it interests you and let the discussion ensue.

How DS Stole the Tokyo Game Show
     (a blog at gamingvice.net ) 
    While some of the announcements that have been coming out of the Tokyo Game Show this week have been less than surprising (White Knight Chronicles 2, Sony tacking motion control into established games, Wii price drop in Japan and America; Wii Sports Resort Bundle in UK), the lineup of games that has been shown is nothing less than stellar. And, who would’ve thunk that Nintendo’s little handheld would have the lineup of games that has been impressing the most at TGS this year (where Nintendo’s presence wasn’t even official)? A Level 5-Studio Ghibli RPG, the Okami sequel, a Professor Layton RPG and a new IP from Capcom are all present and are helping to cement the Nintendo DS’ place in the gaming industry worldwide for years to come.

Perhaps, I should start with Ni no Kuni: The Another World. This Nintendo DS RPG is being developed by Level 5 (Professor Layton, White Knight Chronicles, Dark Cloud) in collaboration with one of the most prestigious animation studios in the world: Japan’s own Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo). The game has already become one of the most talked about games at the show and the trailer that was released earlier this week is nothing less than stunning.      

The game follows a boy named Oliver who loses his mother to a mysterious illness. When she dies, the young boy weeps onto one of his plush toys which miraculously comes to life and shows him the way into “Another World” where Oliver must try and find his mother. The story and animation by Studio Ghibli are certainly gripping enough but the gameplay is really what people are surprised by. While the typical turn-based gameplay is standard of the genre, the rune-drawing mechanic that works so well with the touch screen of the DS really has people talking.  And, while licensing problems may cause this one to skip a stateside release, the developers have urged that it will be very “import friendly”.

Perhaps even more exciting than Ni no Kuni however, was Level 5’s announcement that the fourth Professor Layton game currently in development, Professor Layton and the Specter’s Flute, will include a 100+ hour RPG starring Layton and the gang called “London Life” developed by Brownie Brown, the genius RPG team behind Mother 3. And, of course, that will be on top of the story-driven puzzle gameplay that has kept Layton players gripped since the series initial release and the fact that fans of the series will finally find out how Professor Layton and his ever present sidekick Luke met. 

But enough about Level 5; it’s not as though they’ve been the only developer showing off interesting and exciting new titles for the Nintendo DS this week in Tokyo. Capcom has also been having quite a strong DS showing at this year’s Tokyo Game Show. First and foremost of these games is the DS sequel to the critically-acclaimed Wii and PS2 Zelda clone Okami, titled Okamiden. In the sequel, Chibiterasu (Tiny Amaterasu) and his partner Kuninushi must once again rid of the world of an as-of-now unnamed evil. However, the celestial brush mechanic that made the original game so good has now been completely revamped to work with the touch screen and the series is now better for it. 

Action now takes place on the top screen of the DS with map and menus on the bottom screen but when the player presses one of the DS’ shoulder buttons, the bottom screen goes into a “brush mode” and the player is given the ability to draw kanji and various other symbols in order to perform powerful combat magic and solve puzzles within the game’s world. The TGS demo had four different brush powers available to use, one of which was a new power titled “courage” that allows Chibiterasu to guide his partner along a path to a puzzle (much like the phantom statue leading feature in the upcoming Zelda: Spirit Tracks). That said, many more of these brush powers will be available to the player come the game’s release next year. 

While Okamiden would’ve been more than enough for Capcom to show however, they decided to go all out at this year’s TGS and demo a brand-new IP for the Nintendo DS platform too. And according to various sources attending the show, this new IP entitled Ghost Trick is one of the best games at this year’s Tokyo Game Show. The game, being developed by the same team behind the Ace Attorneyfranchise, begins with your character getting shot and then becoming a ghost and just before your murderer is going to kill again, you realize that you have powers and the ability to stop him. The entire game and feel of the demo has a very The World Ends With You vibe going on and that is most certainly a very good thing. 

Basically, you control a spirit called your “core” and have the ability to possess whatever is near to you. For example, in the TGS demo, players can possess a guitar and make it play to distract the murdering man trying to kill his next victim, giving the victim a chance to run away from the situation. However, the game restricts your spirit’s “core” movement to one object at a time and if you are not close enough to an object, you cannot possess it. This means that most puzzles will revolve around the player finding the best objects to possess in a certain situation as well as using them in such a way that they get you physically closer to the other objects you need to interact with. Add to that a slick graphical system with both hand-drawn 2D illustrations and smooth, detailed 3D characters and you have one of the most compelling and interesting new DS franchises in a long time. 

All in all, Tokyo Game Show 2009 is proving that Nintendo’s DS and DSi handhelds can still churn out interesting and exciting new games and when stuff like Ghost Trick and the Level 5/Studio Ghibli RPG Ni no Kuni is overshadowing big titles like Dead Rising 2, Lost Planet 2, and Final Fantasy XIV, you know that the system is having one hell of a showing this year. All that’s left to do now is wait for these games to be released and remain thoroughly hyped for the experiences to come. 

I really look forward to the  STudio Ghibli stuff.  I lave their animation, and some RPG work on the DS should be sensational.  The Okami sequel - yes please.  A new Zelda - awesome.  More Professor Layton, as an RPG - can't wait.  The DS continues to be my console - EVER.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Ni no kuni is really something I'd like to come to the west. 

For those who did not know: It comes with this hardcover spell book that is used in gameplay.

The DS continues to amaze me as a console. There has been like at least one amazing title every month for the last five years. 

At the moment, I play Scribblenauts, Layton and the Diabolical Box, Bowser's Inside Story, and Chrono Trigger. Gaming goodness.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

I'm not all that interested in Ni no Kuni myself. I like having interesting characters in my party, and I can't see these plush dolls being all that interesting. Being animated by Studio Ghibli though, I am more than prepared to give it a try, especially if the hype train keeps rolling. 

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By PJ
    Not really a hard show to steal since TGS this year was shit. The best thing out of TGS this year was Dead Rising 2 footage and thats made in Canada.
    And what I played of Scribblenauts is not good at all. That game has been incredably over hyped and as an idiot I fell for it. The game is completly busted. Best thing about it is before you even start playing the game and just entering random shit.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @PJ: I'm pretty sure Scribblenauts did not make an appearance at TGS...
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

TGS this year was alright. Nothing really excited me.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By penguindust

Ni no kuni and Crackdown 2 were the only things from this years TGS that interested me, and I've seen a lot more coverage of Crackdown 2 on English speaking websites.  So, whether or not Ni no kuni is a better game (and who is to say at this point) as far as publicity goes, I think Crackdown 2 stole the show.   

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @PJ said:
    " Not really a hard show to steal since TGS this year was shit. The best thing out of TGS this year was Dead Rising 2 footage and thats made in Canada. And what I played of Scribblenauts is not good at all. That game has been incredably over hyped and as an idiot I fell for it. The game is completly busted. Best thing about it is before you even start playing the game and just entering random shit. "
    Pretty much what I was going to say.
    There was no show to steal.  There was very little that interested me at all.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool

@PJ said:

" Not really a hard show to steal since TGS this year was shit. The best thing out of TGS this year was Dead Rising 2 footage and thats made in Canada."

Even if the rest of TGS was "shit", doesn't detract from the real quality of the DS presentations.  It just means other companies are not putting out decent stuff for people to see,
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By EvilTwin
    @oldschool said:
    "The DS continues to be my console - EVER. "
    Might want to reread this sentence. :)
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @oldschool said:
    Might want to reread this sentence. :) "
    I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Steve_C

This writer loves him some DS, but yeah, some interesting titles there if only 4.

I didn't even realise there was going to be a layton rpg until I read this. Curious to see how that turns out, but it seems like it has some talent behind it. Ghost Trick still sounds fascinating, and I want Ni no Kuni right now.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @oldschool said:
    That is right - I OWN the DS  ^_^ 

..... slinks away, happy that his error was recoverable ........
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond

Well it's natural for DS to be the major force in TGS because it's by far the best selling platform in Japan, of course game makers know that.

If TGS was a collection of all games in development across all platforms and not focused towards Japan's interests the actual games shown would have been different.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @Diamond said:
    " Well it's natural for DS to be the major force in TGS because it's by far the best selling platform in Japan, of course game makers know that.  If TGS was a collection of all games in development across all platforms and not focused towards Japan's interests the actual games shown would have been different. "
    Could have been true, yes.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By animateria

Honestly... Nothing stole anything from TGS. 

TGS didn't steal anything from any trade show... Most of the stuff was maybe updated from other shows, but not by much.

TGS was kinda dull, compared to other years.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @oldschool said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " @oldschool said:
    That is right - I OWN the DS  ^_^   ..... slinks away, happy that his error was recoverable ........ "
    That was about as much of a recovery as a cat landing on two legs, tipping for a second, then finally righting itself. Not pretty, but managed : )
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @animateria said:
    " Honestly... Nothing stole anything from TGS.   TGS didn't steal anything from any trade show... Most of the stuff was maybe updated from other shows, but not by much.  TGS was kinda dull, compared to other years. "
    I think all shows suffer the same problems.  Completely unexpected news or presentations at these shows is rare.  We normally know most before it happens.  Golden Sun at E3 was a surprise for me though.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " @oldschool said:
    That is right - I OWN the DS  ^_^   ..... slinks away, happy that his error was recoverable ........ "
    That was about as much of a recovery as a cat landing on two legs, tipping for a second, then finally righting itself. Not pretty, but managed : ) "
    Nice analogy  ^_^
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By TheHBK

Sony is really taking the wrong approach to the whole motion controller thing.
    MS is building games around the new control style with Natal or just adding extras to the gameplay for games if you have it.
    Sony is trying to implement it in a way that alters the game, like an alternative control style which is gay.  The bombcast deals with this.  That they dont seem to understand that that wand should seem more extra for games and built around it instead of forcing is like the sixaxis stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.